FoodBanter.com

-   -   Outback recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/168263-outback-recipes.html)

Ozgirl 15-02-2009 11:27 PM

Outback recipes

Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an outback
recipe site:

http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
CAMEL STEW
Ingredients
a.. 3 medium sized camels
b.. 1 tonne pepper
c.. 200 bushels carrots
d.. 1 tonne of salt
e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
Method
a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two months)
b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000 gallons of
brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small rabbits

W. Baker 16-02-2009 02:23 AM

Outback recipes

Alan S > wrote:
: On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:27:08 +1000, "Ozgirl"
: > wrote:

: >Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an outback
: >recipe site:
: >
[...]

: Then there is kangaroo-tail soup.

: Use an axe to chop a kangaroo-tail into large chunks. Add it
: to a large pot of simmering, seasoned water. Chop some
: vegetables with the axe if any are available, season with
: salt and pepper. Then add the axe to the pot.

: When the meat is tender enough to chew eat the axe because
: it won't be as tough as the meat.

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

My father slaughtered a kangaroo
He gave me the gristly part to chew
Wasn't that a heck of a thng to do?
to give me to chew
The gristly partof a kaaaaaaangaroo.

Sung to the soldiers chorus from Faust, enthusiastically while driving in
a car on a long trip.

Wendy

Ozgirl 16-02-2009 02:41 AM

Outback recipes

W. Baker wrote:
> Alan S > wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:27:08 +1000, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:

>>> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an
>>> outback recipe site:
>>>
>>> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
>>> CAMEL STEW
>>> Ingredients
>>> a.. 3 medium sized camels
>>> b.. 1 tonne pepper
>>> c.. 200 bushels carrots
>>> d.. 1 tonne of salt
>>> e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
>>> f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
>>> g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
>>> Method
>>> a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two
>>> months) b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
>>> c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000
>>> gallons of brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
>>> d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
>>> e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
>>> f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
>>> g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
>>> h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small
>>> rabbits
>>>

>> Then there is kangaroo-tail soup.

>> Use an axe to chop a kangaroo-tail into large chunks. Add it
>> to a large pot of simmering, seasoned water. Chop some
>> vegetables with the axe if any are available, season with
>> salt and pepper. Then add the axe to the pot.

>> When the meat is tender enough to chew eat the axe because
>> it won't be as tough as the meat.

>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

> My father slaughtered a kangaroo
> He gave me the gristly part to chew
> Wasn't that a heck of a thng to do?
> to give me to chew
> The gristly partof a kaaaaaaangaroo.
>
> Sung to the soldiers chorus from Faust, enthusiastically while
> driving in a car on a long trip.

lol, never heard that one before.

Nicky 16-02-2009 08:45 AM

Outback recipes

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:27:08 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an outback
>recipe site:
>
>http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
>CAMEL STEW
>Ingredients
> a.. 3 medium sized camels
> b.. 1 tonne pepper
> c.. 200 bushels carrots
> d.. 1 tonne of salt
> e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
> f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
> g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
>Method
> a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two months)
> b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
> c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000 gallons of
>brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
> d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
> e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
> f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
> g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
> h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small rabbits

LOL! Like Rod's parsley touch, too :D

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Nick Cramer 16-02-2009 01:52 PM

Outback recipes

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an outback
> recipe site:
>
> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
> CAMEL STEW
> Ingredients
> a.. 3 medium sized camels
> [ . . . ]

You have camels in Oz? The recipe doesn't indicate whether they're
Dromedaries or Bactrians. ;-(

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Ozgirl 16-02-2009 09:28 PM

Outback recipes

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an
>> outback recipe site:
>>
>> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
>> CAMEL STEW
>> Ingredients
>> a.. 3 medium sized camels
>> [ . . . ]

> You have camels in Oz? The recipe doesn't indicate whether they're
> Dromedaries or Bactrians. ;-(

Yes we have camels in Oz, how do you think we cross the desert? Duh! The
camel stew would be the at the end-of-desert-crossing party :)

Alice Faber 16-02-2009 11:10 PM

Outback recipes

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an
> >> outback recipe site:
> >>
> >> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
> >> CAMEL STEW
> >> Ingredients
> >> a.. 3 medium sized camels
> >> [ . . . ]

> > You have camels in Oz? The recipe doesn't indicate whether they're
> > Dromedaries or Bactrians. ;-(

> Yes we have camels in Oz, how do you think we cross the desert? Duh! The
> camel stew would be the at the end-of-desert-crossing party :)

Years ago, when I first taught Hebrew at the university level, one of my
students was also in an anthro class where she learned about the camels
in Australia. She was so entranced by this that she wrote one of her
first Hebrew compositions about them.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."

Michelle C 16-02-2009 11:50 PM

Outback recipes

Ozgirl wrote:
> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an outback
> recipe site:
>
> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
> CAMEL STEW
> Ingredients
> a.. 3 medium sized camels
> b.. 1 tonne pepper
> c.. 200 bushels carrots
> d.. 1 tonne of salt
> e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
> f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
> g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
> Method
> a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two months)
> b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
> c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000 gallons of
> brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
> d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
> e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
> f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
> g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
> h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small rabbits

LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in Oz?

Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Ozgirl 17-02-2009 12:29 AM

Outback recipes

Michelle C wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an
>> outback recipe site:
>>
>> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
>> CAMEL STEW
>> Ingredients
>> a.. 3 medium sized camels
>> b.. 1 tonne pepper
>> c.. 200 bushels carrots
>> d.. 1 tonne of salt
>> e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
>> f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
>> g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
>> Method
>> a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two
>> months) b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
>> c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000
>> gallons of brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
>> d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
>> e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
>> f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
>> g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
>> h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small
>> rabbits

> LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
> story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in
> Oz?

No, we exported them actually :)

Ozgirl 17-02-2009 12:31 AM

Outback recipes

Ozgirl wrote:
> Michelle C wrote:

>> LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
>> story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in
>> Oz?

> No, we exported them actually :)

All you need to know about Australian camels:

http://www.camelsaust.com.au/

Peppermint Patootie 17-02-2009 02:18 AM

Outback recipes

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Michelle C wrote:
> > Ozgirl wrote:
> >> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an
> >> outback recipe site:
> >>
> >> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
> >> CAMEL STEW
> >> Ingredients
> >> a.. 3 medium sized camels
> >> b.. 1 tonne pepper
> >> c.. 200 bushels carrots
> >> d.. 1 tonne of salt
> >> e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
> >> f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
> >> g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
> >> Method
> >> a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two
> >> months) b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
> >> c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000
> >> gallons of brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
> >> d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
> >> e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
> >> f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
> >> g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
> >> h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small
> >> rabbits

> > LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
> > story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in
> > Oz?

> No, we exported them actually :)

I have a coworker who comes from Jordan, and he says that camel is a
very tasty meat. Someday I want to try some. I'm very fond of goat.

Priscilla

Ozgirl 17-02-2009 02:40 AM

Outback recipes

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> Michelle C wrote:

>>> LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
>>> story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in
>>> Oz?

>> No, we exported them actually :)

> I have a coworker who comes from Jordan, and he says that camel is a
> very tasty meat. Someday I want to try some. I'm very fond of goat.

I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is the
colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.

Jacquie 17-02-2009 04:04 AM

Outback recipes

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an outback
> recipe site:
>
> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
> CAMEL STEW
> Ingredients
> a.. 3 medium sized camels
> b.. 1 tonne pepper
> c.. 200 bushels carrots
> d.. 1 tonne of salt
> e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
> f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
> g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
> Method
> a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two months)
> b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
> c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000 gallons
> of brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
> d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
> e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
> f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
> g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
> h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small rabbits

Ah..Ha...That is what must have happened to the camels in the AZ
Desert...Maybe the NA had a feast...LOL. They were planted her as
transportation for the Army in 1854...when they closed the forts they just
left the camels behind...they disappeared:)

RodS 17-02-2009 04:34 AM

Outback recipes

Ozgirl wrote:

> I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is the
> colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.

It's the smell puts me off, terrible pong.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Ozgirl 17-02-2009 04:49 AM

Outback recipes

RodS wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is
>> the colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.
>>

> It's the smell puts me off, terrible pong.

Never been that close to it :)

Nick Cramer 17-02-2009 08:13 AM

Outback recipes

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
> > Michelle C wrote:

> >> LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
> >> story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in
> >> Oz?

> > No, we exported them actually :)

> All you need to know about Australian camels:
>
> http://www.camelsaust.com.au/

Thanks, Ozgirl. I didn't know that.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Peppermint Patootie 17-02-2009 05:56 PM

Outback recipes

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is the
> colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.

What color? Grey?

PP

Peppermint Patootie 18-02-2009 12:22 AM

Outback recipes

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:56:45 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is the
> >> colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.

> >What color? Grey?
> >
> >PP

> A rich red, almost burgundy.

Huh. So that puts you off, Jan? Is it darker than beef or buffalo or
the other red meats?

Priscilla, likes her red meat

Ozgirl 18-02-2009 12:42 AM

Outback recipes

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >,
> Alan S > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:56:45 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
>> > wrote:

>>> What color? Grey?
>>>
>>> PP

>> A rich red, almost burgundy.

> Huh. So that puts you off, Jan? Is it darker than beef or buffalo or
> the other red meats?
>
> Priscilla, likes her red meat

It almost looks black. I love red meat but I am so put off by the thought
of eating such dark meat. I don't normally have food aversions.

Nicky 19-02-2009 06:58 PM

Outback recipes

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:42:06 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>It almost looks black. I love red meat but I am so put off by the thought
>of eating such dark meat. I don't normally have food aversions.

Having eaten it a massive twice, Jan - I loved it both times. I had
roo-tail stew one time, just as delicious as oxtail, and casseroled in
a wine sauce another. I guess both prep methods would mask the
darkness of the meat - but if I get another chance, I'll eat it again
in a flash.

Ozgirl 19-02-2009 09:25 PM

Outback recipes

Nicky wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:42:06 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> It almost looks black. I love red meat but I am so put off by the
>> thought of eating such dark meat. I don't normally have food
>> aversions.

> Having eaten it a massive twice, Jan - I loved it both times. I had
> roo-tail stew one time, just as delicious as oxtail, and casseroled in
> a wine sauce another. I guess both prep methods would mask the
> darkness of the meat - but if I get another chance, I'll eat it again
> in a flash.

I'd probably be ok if no one told me what was in the stew :)

Evelyn 20-02-2009 12:00 AM

Outback recipes

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:42:06 +1000, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It almost looks black. I love red meat but I am so put off by the
>>> thought of eating such dark meat. I don't normally have food
>>> aversions.

>> Having eaten it a massive twice, Jan - I loved it both times. I had
>> roo-tail stew one time, just as delicious as oxtail, and casseroled in
>> a wine sauce another. I guess both prep methods would mask the
>> darkness of the meat - but if I get another chance, I'll eat it again
>> in a flash.

> I'd probably be ok if no one told me what was in the stew :)

In my freezer right now is some bear meat. Next door neighbor is a bigtime
hunter.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Ozgirl 20-02-2009 05:22 AM

Outback recipes

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Nicky wrote:
>>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:42:06 +1000, "Ozgirl"

>>> Having eaten it a massive twice, Jan - I loved it both times. I had
>>> roo-tail stew one time, just as delicious as oxtail, and casseroled
>>> in a wine sauce another. I guess both prep methods would mask the
>>> darkness of the meat - but if I get another chance, I'll eat it
>>> again in a flash.

>> I'd probably be ok if no one told me what was in the stew :)

> In my freezer right now is some bear meat. Next door neighbor is a
> bigtime hunter.

What colour is the meat?

Evelyn 20-02-2009 11:41 AM

Outback recipes

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:

>>> I'd probably be ok if no one told me what was in the stew :)

>> In my freezer right now is some bear meat. Next door neighbor is a
>> bigtime hunter.

> What colour is the meat?

Looks a lot like beef pot roast when its cooked, and it is really very
delicious.

Michelle C 21-02-2009 03:40 AM

Outback recipes

Ozgirl wrote:
> Michelle C wrote:
>> Ozgirl wrote:
>>> Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an
>>> outback recipe site:
>>>
>>> http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
>>> CAMEL STEW
>>> Ingredients
>>> a.. 3 medium sized camels
>>> b.. 1 tonne pepper
>>> c.. 200 bushels carrots
>>> d.. 1 tonne of salt
>>> e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
>>> f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
>>> g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
>>> Method
>>> a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about two
>>> months) b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two months)
>>> c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and cover with 1000
>>> gallons of brown gravy, simmer gently for about four weeks)
>>> d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
>>> e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
>>> f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
>>> g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
>>> h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small
>>> rabbits

>> LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
>> story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in
>> Oz?

> No, we exported them actually :)

No kidding! I just love it when I learn something new. :-)

Michelle C.

Michelle C 21-02-2009 03:43 AM

Outback recipes

Ozgirl wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> Michelle C wrote:

>>> LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's the
>>> story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported animal in
>>> Oz?

>> No, we exported them actually :)

> All you need to know about Australian camels:
>
> http://www.camelsaust.com.au/

Ah, so they were originally Canary Island camels (which were probably
originally from somewhere else....) Hmmm. I can see where they would
have a been a benefit early on, but I suppose now they compete with the
native Australian wildlife.

So have you ever tasted camel?

Michelle C.

Michelle C 21-02-2009 03:44 AM

Outback recipes

Ozgirl wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie wrote:
>> In article >,

>>> No, we exported them actually :)

>> I have a coworker who comes from Jordan, and he says that camel is a
>> very tasty meat. Someday I want to try some. I'm very fond of goat.

> I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is the
> colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.

What color is it?

Michelle C.

Ozgirl 21-02-2009 04:50 AM

Outback recipes

Michelle C wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> No, we exported them actually :)

>> All you need to know about Australian camels:
>>
>> http://www.camelsaust.com.au/
>>

> Ah, so they were originally Canary Island camels (which were probably
> originally from somewhere else....) Hmmm. I can see where they would
> have a been a benefit early on, but I suppose now they compete with
> the native Australian wildlife.
>
> So have you ever tasted camel?
>
> Michelle C.

Haven't tasted camel as yet :) If it's white meat I will.

Ozgirl 21-02-2009 04:50 AM

Outback recipes

Michelle C wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> Peppermint Patootie wrote:

>>> I have a coworker who comes from Jordan, and he says that camel is a
>>> very tasty meat. Someday I want to try some. I'm very fond of
>>> goat.

>> I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is
>> the colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.
>>

> What color is it?

Almost black.

Michelle C 21-02-2009 06:57 PM

Outback recipes

Ozgirl wrote:
> Michelle C wrote:
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it is
>>> the colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.
>>>

>> What color is it?

> Almost black.

That would be a bit odd. I don't know if that in itself would bother me
or not. It might. I've eaten frog legs and snapping turtle, but
they're both white meat. :-) And yes, the turtle kind of tastes like
chicken. ;-)

Michelle C.

Ozgirl 21-02-2009 09:59 PM

Outback recipes

Michelle C wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> Michelle C wrote:

>>> What color is it?

>> Almost black.
>>

> That would be a bit odd. I don't know if that in itself would bother
> me or not. It might. I've eaten frog legs and snapping turtle, but
> they're both white meat. :-) And yes, the turtle kind of tastes like
> chicken. ;-)

Probably if it was served up already cooked I might be ok. But seeing it raw
in butcher's shops and supermarkets is very off putting.

Nick Cramer 22-02-2009 04:15 AM

Outback recipes

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Michelle C wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > We used to raise our own rabbits. Actually, it is very tasty.
> >
> > I've never been able to stomach liver or any other internal organs.
> > That is where I draw the line. Also do not care for mutton. I *know*
> > that a good portion of the world likes it.

> I like liver and kidneys, mutton etc. I love rabbits. Haven't had one for
> years.

During WW II, the meat that was most available and affordable was aged beef
liver. That is to say, liver from geriatric steers. It was tough and full
of gristle, arteries and veins. My Mom tried every method of cooking it. I
couldn't stand it! I still can't. I like other livers.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

W. Baker 22-02-2009 05:37 PM

Outback recipes

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: > Michelle C wrote:
: > > [ . . . ]
: > > We used to raise our own rabbits. Actually, it is very tasty.
: > >
: > > I've never been able to stomach liver or any other internal organs.
: > > That is where I draw the line. Also do not care for mutton. I *know*
: > > that a good portion of the world likes it.
: >
: > I like liver and kidneys, mutton etc. I love rabbits. Haven't had one for
: > years.

: During WW II, the meat that was most available and affordable was aged beef
: liver. That is to say, liver from geriatric steers. It was tough and full
: of gristle, arteries and veins. My Mom tried every method of cooking it. I
: couldn't stand it! I still can't. I like other livers.

: --
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

It works in chopped liver either just tht or a 50/50 mix with chicken
livers. You cut out the worst gristle and veins.

Wendy

Nick Cramer 23-02-2009 07:38 AM

Outback recipes

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:

[ . . . ]
> : During WW II, the meat that was most available and affordable was aged
> : beef liver. That is to say, liver from geriatric steers. It was tough
> : and full of gristle, arteries and veins. My Mom tried every method of
> : cooking it. I couldn't stand it! I still can't. I like other livers.

> It works in chopped liver either just tht or a 50/50 mix with chicken
> livers. You cut out the worst gristle and veins.

Thanks, Sis. I'm glad it works for you!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

MaryL 28-02-2009 04:22 PM

Outback recipes

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> Ah..Ha...That is what must have happened to the camels in the AZ
> Desert...Maybe the NA had a feast...LOL. They were planted her as
> transportation for the Army in 1854...when they closed the forts they just
> left the camels behind...they disappeared:)

That is the origin of a law that was on the books in Arizona for many years
(may still be there, for all I know) that supposedly made it a crime to
"shoot a wild camel!"

MaryL

MaryL 28-02-2009 04:31 PM

Outback recipes

. ..

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> Ah..Ha...That is what must have happened to the camels in the AZ
>> Desert...Maybe the NA had a feast...LOL. They were planted her as
>> transportation for the Army in 1854...when they closed the forts they
>> just left the camels behind...they disappeared:)
>>

> That is the origin of a law that was on the books in Arizona for many
> years (may still be there, for all I know) that supposedly made it a crime
> to "shoot a wild camel!"
>
> MaryL

Just to keep myself "honest," I checked this old story out on snopes.com.
They report that the law is *not* on the books in AZ (although they leave
the door open to the possibility that the law may have existed at one time):
http://www.snopes.com/legal/arizona.asp

MaryL