Old 21-02-2009, 09:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Outback recipes

Michelle C wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:
Michelle C wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article ,
"Ozgirl" wrote:

Michelle C wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:
Lol, I found this recipe amongst a bunch of "normal" ones in an
outback recipe site:

http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_outback_recipes.asp
CAMEL STEW
Ingredients
a.. 3 medium sized camels
b.. 1 tonne pepper
c.. 200 bushels carrots
d.. 1 tonne of salt
e.. 500 bushels of potatoes
f.. 3800 sprigs of parsley
g.. 2 small rabbits (optional)
Method
a.. Cut camels into bite sized pieces (this should take about
two months) b.. Cut vegetables into cubes (another two
months) c.. Place meat in a pot (extra extra large) and
cover with 1000 gallons of brown gravy, simmer gently for
about four weeks) d.. Shovel in pepper and salt to taste
e.. Add vegetables when meat is tender.
f.. Simmer (another two weeks)
g.. Serve with a garnish of parsley
h.. Will serve 3800, but if more are expected, add two small
rabbits
LOL! :-) Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but what's
the story with the camels? Surely, they would be an imported
animal in Oz?
No, we exported them actually
I have a coworker who comes from Jordan, and he says that camel
is a very tasty meat. Someday I want to try some. I'm very fond
of goat.
I'd be more likely to try camel or goat than kangaroo. I think it
is the colour of kangaroo meat that puts me off.

What color is it?

Almost black.

That would be a bit odd. I don't know if that in itself would bother
me or not. It might. I've eaten frog legs and snapping turtle, but
they're both white meat. :-) And yes, the turtle kind of tastes like
chicken. ;-)

Probably if it was served up already cooked I might be ok. But seeing it raw
in butcher's shops and supermarkets is very off putting.

Old 22-02-2009, 04:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Michelle C wrote:
[ . . . ]
We used to raise our own rabbits. Actually, it is very tasty.

I've never been able to stomach liver or any other internal organs.
That is where I draw the line. Also do not care for mutton. I *know*
that a good portion of the world likes it.

I like liver and kidneys, mutton etc. I love rabbits. Haven't had one for
years.

During WW II, the meat that was most available and affordable was aged beef
liver. That is to say, liver from geriatric steers. It was tough and full
of gristle, arteries and veins. My Mom tried every method of cooking it. I
couldn't stand it! I still can't. I like other livers.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old 22-02-2009, 05:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
: "Ozgirl" wrote:
: Michelle C wrote:
: [ . . . ]
: We used to raise our own rabbits. Actually, it is very tasty.
:
: I've never been able to stomach liver or any other internal organs.
: That is where I draw the line. Also do not care for mutton. I *know*
: that a good portion of the world likes it.
:
: I like liver and kidneys, mutton etc. I love rabbits. Haven't had one for
: years.

: During WW II, the meat that was most available and affordable was aged beef
: liver. That is to say, liver from geriatric steers. It was tough and full
: of gristle, arteries and veins. My Mom tried every method of cooking it. I
: couldn't stand it! I still can't. I like other livers.

: --
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

It works in chopped liver either just tht or a 50/50 mix with chicken
livers. You cut out the worst gristle and veins.

Wendy
Old 23-02-2009, 07:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:

[ . . . ]
: During WW II, the meat that was most available and affordable was aged
: beef liver. That is to say, liver from geriatric steers. It was tough
: and full of gristle, arteries and veins. My Mom tried every method of
: cooking it. I couldn't stand it! I still can't. I like other livers.

It works in chopped liver either just tht or a 50/50 mix with chicken
livers. You cut out the worst gristle and veins.

Thanks, Sis. I'm glad it works for you!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old 28-02-2009, 04:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

Ah..Ha...That is what must have happened to the camels in the AZ
Desert...Maybe the NA had a feast...LOL. They were planted her as
transportation for the Army in 1854...when they closed the forts they just
left the camels behind...they disappeared

That is the origin of a law that was on the books in Arizona for many years
(may still be there, for all I know) that supposedly made it a crime to
"shoot a wild camel!"

MaryL

Old 28-02-2009, 04:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

. ..

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

Ah..Ha...That is what must have happened to the camels in the AZ
Desert...Maybe the NA had a feast...LOL. They were planted her as
transportation for the Army in 1854...when they closed the forts they
just left the camels behind...they disappeared

That is the origin of a law that was on the books in Arizona for many
years (may still be there, for all I know) that supposedly made it a crime
to "shoot a wild camel!"

MaryL

Just to keep myself "honest," I checked this old story out on snopes.com.
They report that the law is *not* on the books in AZ (although they leave
the door open to the possibility that the law may have existed at one time):
http://www.snopes.com/legal/arizona.asp

MaryL

Outback Chemo the Clown[_2_] General Cooking 92 14-01-2012 12:19 AM
Outback Steve Pope General Cooking 2 10-01-2012 03:16 AM
Outback Sauce Blinky the Shark General Cooking 1 08-08-2007 08:24 PM
Outback Steakhouse cybercat General Cooking 160 15-07-2007 04:13 AM
Looking for outback brownies [email protected] General Cooking 0 01-01-2006 02:32 PM