Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite vegetable?

For me, it's hard to pick just one. I tend to put onions in just about
everything, either raw or cooked. I buy all different kinds, but for use in
raw things like salad, I usually use green ones. White ones are my favorite
for cooking.

I also like celery in a variety of dishes.

And just today I realized how much I missed my peppers. I used to buy them
in all colors and eat them every day. But I fell into a pattern of eating
just carrots or maybe some celery because I could get them cheap at Costco
and they were either already washed and ready to go, or quick to prepare.
Just wash the celery and break off the bottom end. Of course if I were to
serve this to someone else, I would take the time to cut it up nicely but
for me this works just fine.

I got a double order of red bell peppers in my box yesterday and I had some
for lunch. Boy were they yummy! I know I can get them cheap at Costco too.
I just haven't bought them the last few times I was there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Just about any veggie is my favourite. I likewise have onions in almost
everything.

Julie Bove wrote:
> For me, it's hard to pick just one. I tend to put onions in just
> about everything, either raw or cooked. I buy all different kinds,
> but for use in raw things like salad, I usually use green ones. White ones
> are my favorite for cooking.
>
> I also like celery in a variety of dishes.
>
> And just today I realized how much I missed my peppers. I used to
> buy them in all colors and eat them every day. But I fell into a
> pattern of eating just carrots or maybe some celery because I could
> get them cheap at Costco and they were either already washed and
> ready to go, or quick to prepare. Just wash the celery and break off
> the bottom end. Of course if I were to serve this to someone else, I
> would take the time to cut it up nicely but for me this works just
> fine.
> I got a double order of red bell peppers in my box yesterday and I
> had some for lunch. Boy were they yummy! I know I can get them
> cheap at Costco too. I just haven't bought them the last few times I
> was there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like squash..and like you, use onions in allot of things. I use red onions
or Vidalia's in my salads. Red for burgers. Sweet or Spanish in cooked
foods. I use green onions in my potato Salad...and Mac Salad. I like
peppers...but they don't like me and I taste them all night. Don't laugh but
raw carrots give me hiccups....as do saltines...I think it might have
something to do with my Hiatal Hernia. I like all kinds of lettuce...and I
use cabbage in slaws and soups. I used to eat fried bacon and cabbage ...but
the bacon grease comes back at me now I love fresh spinach and steamed
spinach with butter on it. Can't eat raw broccoli any more but can eat it
steamed. I love steamed Cauliflower with butter. I'm sure there is more out
there I like but my mind is kind of mushy tonight
Jacquie

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> For me, it's hard to pick just one. I tend to put onions in just about
> everything, either raw or cooked. I buy all different kinds, but for use
> in raw things like salad, I usually use green ones. White ones are my
> favorite for cooking.
>
> I also like celery in a variety of dishes.
>
> And just today I realized how much I missed my peppers. I used to buy
> them in all colors and eat them every day. But I fell into a pattern of
> eating just carrots or maybe some celery because I could get them cheap at
> Costco and they were either already washed and ready to go, or quick to
> prepare. Just wash the celery and break off the bottom end. Of course if
> I were to serve this to someone else, I would take the time to cut it up
> nicely but for me this works just fine.
>
> I got a double order of red bell peppers in my box yesterday and I had
> some for lunch. Boy were they yummy! I know I can get them cheap at
> Costco too. I just haven't bought them the last few times I was there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:05:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>For me, it's hard to pick just one. I tend to put onions in just about
>everything, either raw or cooked. I buy all different kinds, but for use in
>raw things like salad, I usually use green ones. White ones are my favorite
>for cooking.

LOL - onions in everything savoury, here, for sure! I also love purple
sprouting broccoli, spinach, watercress, homemade coleslaw, my
home-sprouted sprouts, squashes... easier to say what I don't like,
that's peppers and peas!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:05:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>For me, it's hard to pick just one. I tend to put onions in just about
>>everything, either raw or cooked. I buy all different kinds, but for use
>>in
>>raw things like salad, I usually use green ones. White ones are my
>>favorite
>>for cooking.

> LOL - onions in everything savoury, here, for sure! I also love purple
> sprouting broccoli, spinach, watercress, homemade coleslaw, my
> home-sprouted sprouts, squashes... easier to say what I don't like,
> that's peppers and peas!

I love peas and peppers. Never heard of purple broccoli though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 01:03:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I love peas and peppers. Never heard of purple broccoli though.

It seems to be very close to what you guys call broccoli rabe.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 01:03:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I love peas and peppers. Never heard of purple broccoli though.
>>

> It seems to be very close to what you guys call broccoli rabe.

Oh. Hmmm...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:05:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>For me, it's hard to pick just one. I tend to put onions in just about
>>everything, either raw or cooked. I buy all different kinds, but for use
>>in
>>raw things like salad, I usually use green ones. White ones are my
>>favorite
>>for cooking.

> LOL - onions in everything savoury, here, for sure! I also love purple
> sprouting broccoli, spinach, watercress, homemade coleslaw, my
> home-sprouted sprouts, squashes... easier to say what I don't like,
> that's peppers and peas!
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

Only if they are mushy, I think...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:15:33 -0700, "Jacquie"
> wrote:

>Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

Ah, but I have a very varied genetic heritage - I must have lost the
gene somewhere :P

Actually, I quite like them raw - I'm going to grow some over the
summer, and see what they do to bg; but I detest them cooked.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

I believe she's originally from South Africa.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:15:33 -0700, "Jacquie"
> > wrote:
>
>>Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

> Ah, but I have a very varied genetic heritage - I must have lost the
> gene somewhere :P
>
> Actually, I quite like them raw - I'm going to grow some over the
> summer, and see what they do to bg; but I detest them cooked.

I like them both ways but raw is best. My cat likes them too. She won't
eat them cooked though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
> > "Jacquie" > wrote:
> >
> >>Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

> > Ah, but I have a very varied genetic heritage - I must have lost the
> > gene somewhere :P
> >
> > Actually, I quite like them raw - I'm going to grow some over the
> > summer, and see what they do to bg; but I detest them cooked.

> I like them both ways but raw is best. My cat likes them too. She won't
> eat them cooked though.

I particularly like them roasted and coated with Wasabi. Snacking on some
at the moment!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> Ah, but I have a very varied genetic heritage - I must have lost the
>>> gene somewhere :P
>>>
>>> Actually, I quite like them raw - I'm going to grow some over the
>>> summer, and see what they do to bg; but I detest them cooked.

>> I like them both ways but raw is best. My cat likes them too. She
>> won't eat them cooked though.

> I particularly like them roasted and coated with Wasabi. Snacking on
> some at the moment!

How are they on the bg" I have seen packets of them in the Asian section of
supermarkets and very tempted to try them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:15:33 -0700, "Jacquie"
> > wrote:
>
>>Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

> Ah, but I have a very varied genetic heritage - I must have lost the
> gene somewhere :P
>
> Actually, I quite like them raw - I'm going to grow some over the
> summer, and see what they do to bg; but I detest them cooked.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

LOL...When we lived in England it seemed like everybody liked their peas. My
neighbor grew Brussel Sprouts...she always shared. We lived on farm property
and my neighbor's husband worked on the farm(she always called him Mr.
Bridges) We always received gifts of whatever was being harvested at the
time. I noticed that the farm is now a bed and breakfast...we lived there 36
years ago...jeesh it just seems like yesterday

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> >> I like them both ways but raw is best. My cat likes them too. She
> >> won't eat them cooked though.

> > I particularly like them roasted and coated with Wasabi. Snacking on
> > some at the moment!

> How are they on the bg" I have seen packets of them in the Asian section
> of supermarkets and very tempted to try them.

Good question. Haven't checked. I have to do it in the clear. I'll try to
remember. Can says a 30 gm serving contains 19 net grams of carbs.
Ingredients: Green peas, Wheat flour, Glucose, Sugar, Palm oil, Wasabi
(really horseradish), stuff. Wonder if I could marinate edamame in straight
wasbi water, then roast them for a lower carb version?

The wasabi is sure there. Brief mouthburn, runny nose, eyes tearing, sweaty
forehead, tingling scalp. Perfect!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:04:04 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

>I believe she's originally from South Africa.

Born in Kenya of Russian and Irish parents. Now I like mangetout,
which is a major export for Kenya :P

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: Jacquie wrote:
: > Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

: Only if they are mushy, I think...

Am i correct that those mushy peas one reads about in books about the
English are what most of us might call overcooked?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

: Ah, but I have a very varied genetic heritage - I must have lost the
: gene somewhere :P

: Actually, I quite like them raw - I'm going to grow some over the
: summer, and see what they do to bg; but I detest them cooked.

: Nicky.

Try growing the sugar snaps that you eat pod and all. The high fiber pod
keepd the carbs down very nicely. I like to just eat them plain, raw or
put a few in a salad. Be careful to string them.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>> Jacquie wrote:
>>> Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

>> Only if they are mushy, I think...

> Am i correct that those mushy peas one reads about in books about the
> English are what most of us might call overcooked?

They are not garden peas, but marrowfat peas. They are cooked to the right
consistency - not overcooked.

--
Ray
UK

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

musika > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >> Jacquie wrote:
: >>> Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas
: >
: >> Only if they are mushy, I think...
: >
: > Am i correct that those mushy peas one reads about in books about the
: > English are what most of us might call overcooked?
: >

: They are not garden peas, but marrowfat peas. They are cooked to the right
: consistency - not overcooked.

: --
: Ray
: UK

Thanks you for this information. I had absolutely no idea tht they were
another variety of peas. I was thinking of oversook garden peas which can
get mushy. Not so gret for us adults, but y infant graddaughter loves
them really soft and mushed up. she is 7 months old:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Nicky > wrote:
> : On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:15:33 -0700, "Jacquie"
> : > wrote:
>
> : >Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas
>
> : Ah, but I have a very varied genetic heritage - I must have lost the
> : gene somewhere :P
>
> : Actually, I quite like them raw - I'm going to grow some over the
> : summer, and see what they do to bg; but I detest them cooked.
>
> : Nicky.
>
> Try growing the sugar snaps that you eat pod and all. The high fiber pod
> keepd the carbs down very nicely. I like to just eat them plain, raw or
> put a few in a salad. Be careful to string them.
>
> Wendy

We put them into our salads...they add a nice crunch
Jacquie

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:04:04 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas

>>I believe she's originally from South Africa.
>>

> Born in Kenya of Russian and Irish parents. Now I like mangetout,
> which is a major export for Kenya :P
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

I did a search on them they look like snow peas
Jacquie

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> Thanks you for this information. I had absolutely no idea tht they were
> another variety of peas. I was thinking of oversook garden peas which can
> get mushy. Not so gret for us adults, but y infant graddaughter loves
> them really soft and mushed up. she is 7 months old:-)

Those were my favorite food as a baby. And as a child I LOVED canned peas.
We only ever had canned or fresh vegetables in our house. We did have a
garden and during the summer we did have fresh ones. I could have eaten
peas every day.

My poor brother HATED peas and to this day still does. He was in the
hospital a lot and once they served him peas. He protested and my grandma
boasted that she could get him to eat them. She hid the peas in the mashed
potatoes and had him take a bite. Bet she never did THAT again!

After that, he was wary of any and all mashed potatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> musika > wrote:
>> W. Baker wrote:

>>> Am i correct that those mushy peas one reads about in books about
>>> the English are what most of us might call overcooked?
>>>

>> They are not garden peas, but marrowfat peas. They are cooked to the
>> right consistency - not overcooked.

>> --
>> Ray
>> UK

> Thanks you for this information. I had absolutely no idea tht they
> were another variety of peas. I was thinking of oversook garden peas
> which can get mushy. Not so gret for us adults, but y infant
> graddaughter loves them really soft and mushed up. she is 7 months
> old:-)

Dried peas cooked can be overcooked into a tasty mush. They taste similar
to canned peas which of course are nothing like frozen peas in texture or
taste.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> For me, it's hard to pick just one. I tend to put onions in just about
> everything, either raw or cooked. I buy all different kinds, but for use in
> raw things like salad, I usually use green ones. White ones are my favorite
> for cooking.
>
> I also like celery in a variety of dishes.
>
> And just today I realized how much I missed my peppers. I used to buy them
> in all colors and eat them every day. But I fell into a pattern of eating
> just carrots or maybe some celery because I could get them cheap at Costco
> and they were either already washed and ready to go, or quick to prepare.
> Just wash the celery and break off the bottom end. Of course if I were to
> serve this to someone else, I would take the time to cut it up nicely but
> for me this works just fine.
>
> I got a double order of red bell peppers in my box yesterday and I had some
> for lunch. Boy were they yummy! I know I can get them cheap at Costco too.
> I just haven't bought them the last few times I was there.

It depends. For just plain eating, I like broccoli, cauliflower and
green beans. However, for adding flavor to dishes, I use lots of onion
and garlic, and peppers.

No veggie is off limits though--I like them all. However, I must eat my
carrots raw--cooked ones spike me--and limit the amount of corn and
peas I eat for the same reason.

Best regards,
Michelle C., T2
diet & exercise
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > musika > wrote:
: >> W. Baker wrote:
: >>> Ozgirl > wrote:
: >>>> Jacquie wrote:
: >>>>> Aren't you British Nicky? I thought all Brits liked peas
: >>>
: >>>> Only if they are mushy, I think...
: >>>
: >>> Am i correct that those mushy peas one reads about in books about
: >>> the English are what most of us might call overcooked?
: >>>
: >
: >> They are not garden peas, but marrowfat peas. They are cooked to the
: >> right consistency - not overcooked.
: >
: >> --
: >> Ray
: >> UK
: >
: > Thanks you for this information. I had absolutely no idea tht they
: > were another variety of peas. I was thinking of oversook garden peas
: > which can get mushy. Not so gret for us adults, but y infant
: > graddaughter loves them really soft and mushed up. she is 7 months
: > old:-)

: Dried peas cooked can be overcooked into a tasty mush. They taste similar
: to canned peas which of course are nothing like frozen peas in texture or
: taste.

Pease porridge hot, pese porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot, nine
day old?

I always thought that was split pea soup! Well, I gues it's never too
late to learn:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:
: > Born in Kenya of Russian and Irish parents. Now I like mangetout,
: > which is a major export for Kenya :P
: >
: > Nicky.
: > T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
: > D&E, 100ug thyroxine
: > Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

: I did a search on them they look like snow peas
: Jacquie

AHA!!! Hence the name, mangetout-eat (pods and) all!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>> W. Baker wrote:

>>> Thanks you for this information. I had absolutely no idea tht they
>>> were another variety of peas. I was thinking of oversook garden
>>> peas which can get mushy. Not so gret for us adults, but y infant
>>> graddaughter loves them really soft and mushed up. she is 7 months
>>> old:-)

>> Dried peas cooked can be overcooked into a tasty mush. They taste
>> similar to canned peas which of course are nothing like frozen peas
>> in texture or taste.

> Pease porridge hot, pese porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot,
> nine day old?
>
> I always thought that was split pea soup! Well, I gues it's never too
> late to learn:-)

These aren't split peas, they are whole, dried green peas. Soak for a while
then boil to mush

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> W. Baker wrote:
>> Ozgirl > wrote:

>>> Dried peas cooked can be overcooked into a tasty mush. They taste
>>> similar to canned peas which of course are nothing like frozen peas
>>> in texture or taste.

>> Pease porridge hot, pese porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot,
>> nine day old?
>>
>> I always thought that was split pea soup! Well, I gues it's never too
>> late to learn:-)

> These aren't split peas, they are whole, dried green peas. Soak for a
> while then boil to mush

My mother in law used to cook those. I always use the split peas instead.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> W. Baker wrote:

>>> Pease porridge hot, pese porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot,
>>> nine day old?
>>>
>>> I always thought that was split pea soup! Well, I gues it's never
>>> too late to learn:-)

>> These aren't split peas, they are whole, dried green peas. Soak for a
>> while then boil to mush

> My mother in law used to cook those. I always use the split peas
> instead.

Mine too, she used to call them packet peas.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Jacquie > wrote:
> : > Born in Kenya of Russian and Irish parents. Now I like mangetout,
> : > which is a major export for Kenya :P
> : >
> : > Nicky.
> : > T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> : > D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> : > Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
>
> : I did a search on them they look like snow peas
> : Jacquie
>
> AHA!!! Hence the name, mangetout-eat (pods and) all!

Italian "Mangia tutti!" I didn't pick up on that. Duh! Thanks, Sis.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061