Old 14-02-2009, 07:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chicken Stir Fry

Alan S wrote:
: On 13 Feb 2009 11:28:23 GMT, Nick Cramer
: wrote:

: Alan S wrote:

: I use EVOO for saute-level low heats, peanut oil for
: deep-frying and rice-bran oil for hot stir-fries. On the BBQ
: I use spray canola.

As you are still posting, I assume you always spray BEFORE turning on the
or lighting the BBQ:-)

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Wendy

Old 14-02-2009, 07:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
: Alan S wrote:
: On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:55:27 +1000, "Ozgirl"
: wrote:
:
: There is so much in stir fry I don't miss the rice at all. Hubby has
: to have it though so do keep it around for him.
:
: My kids too, but they eat like horses.
:
:
: Oats in nosebags?

: Nosebags at least Flip top heads would be faster. They eat faster than I
: can spend.

Are your kids like mine used to be? come home form school, open the
fridge and kind of vcuum out the contents rapidly with their mouths. They
ultimately grow out of this stage and eat a bit more like normal people.

Wendy
Old 14-02-2009, 07:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
:
: My kids too, but they eat like horses.
:
: LOL...My Grandson is almost 15 and all my Daughter does is complain about
: him eating them out of house and home...he has grown 4 inches in the last
: two months. I laughed at her...I had three teens in the house at one time
: and their friends.....I spent allot of time at the military commissary
: buying food
: Jacquie

Don't you just love it when they take a whole carton of milk or OJ and
just drain the whole thing in one gulp?

Wendy
Old 15-02-2009, 03:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Jacquie wrote:

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
:
: My kids too, but they eat like horses.
:
: LOL...My Grandson is almost 15 and all my Daughter does is complain
about
: him eating them out of house and home...he has grown 4 inches in the
last
: two months. I laughed at her...I had three teens in the house at one
time
: and their friends.....I spent allot of time at the military commissary
: buying food
: Jacquie

Don't you just love it when they take a whole carton of milk or OJ and
just drain the whole thing in one gulp?

Wendy

LOL..mine never did that when I was around but am sure they did when I
wasn't. Now that they are well into Adulthood they tell me all of their teen
secrets...LOL...I think they are trying to get a rise out of me...and I just
chuckle and say your time is coming. My son's Daughters are 12 so he will
understand in a couple of years...and my Daughter is already getting a bit
of it...LOL.
Jacquie

Old 15-02-2009, 04:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
I don't usually like stir fries, but I made one tonight and it was pretty
good. I used different seasonings in it this time.

I started with 6 chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces. Browned them in
olive oil, then added (cut on the diagonal when possible) 3 medium carrots,
4 ribs celery, 1 bunch baby bok choy, 1 bunch green onions, 1 red sweet
pepper, 1 bunch green onions. As this all cooked down, I added about a cup
of chicken broth and cooked until the sprouts were soft. Some of the other
veggies were still a bit crunchy.

I seasoned it heavily with lemon pepper and just a few glugs of soy sauce.

I did serve this with white rice but you don't have to.

Sounds delicious, Julie! Thanks for sharing. I'm keeping a copy of
this recipe. :-)

It would be fun to try because I've never used bok choy.

Michelle C., T2
diet & exercise

Old 15-02-2009, 04:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
. ..
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
. ..

I make something similar but in much smaller quantities (cooking for
one). I use a wok and quickly cook small pieces of chicken in olive oil,
then add fresh mushrooms and chopped-up onion, then lots of various
types of fresh veggies. Sometimes I add soy sauce and sometimes not.
Sometimes I will first sprinkle everything with Italian dressing and use
that for the seasoning.

When I make it, this is my entire meal and will usually have leftovers
for the next day (or even more). I do not eat rice, pasta, potatoes,
etc.
I planned to have some left over so my husband will have something to eat
tonight. I didn't cook.

That wasn't intended as a criticism...just a comment that I only cook for
one person (myself), and I also no longer eat "the white stuff"--so, it's
my entire meal.

I didn't think it was a criticism. Just making a comment. Normally I try
to avoid leftovers, but sometimes I need them.

I'm always happy to have leftovers. They make great lunches.

Best regards,
Michelle C., T2
diet & exercise
Old 15-02-2009, 06:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
. ..
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
That wasn't intended as a criticism...just a comment that I only cook
for one person (myself), and I also no longer eat "the white stuff"--so,
it's my entire meal.

I didn't think it was a criticism. Just making a comment. Normally I
try to avoid leftovers, but sometimes I need them.

I'm always happy to have leftovers. They make great lunches.

Best regards,
Michelle C., T2
diet & exercise

Me, too. That's the reason why I actually *like* it when restaurants serve
those overly-large meals. I take at least half home with me and get two
meals for the price of one.

MaryL