Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite low carb recipes

I've received some tasty recipes from you along the way. Thought I'd create
a formal post to share my newest favorite, and hope that you all will "play"
too. :-)

Mild Mexican Stir Fry

For the three people in my family, these proportions make enough for almost
2 meals.

Ingredients:

2.5 lbs ground turkey

1 onion, chopped

5 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 Tbsp olive oil to sauté the turkey

1 lg tomato, chopped (or I can diced tomatoes)

1 red pepper, chopped

1 yellow pepper, chopped

½ head of cabbage, shredded with knife

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp cumin

Sour cream (optional)

In a 5 qt saucepan, sauté turkey, onion, and garlic. Add oregano and cumin
while sautéing. When turkey is browned, add the tomatoes, cabbage, peppers,
and green chilis. Cook until the veggies are done-approximately 20 minutes.

Eat as is or put in a lo carb tortilla.

Top with sour cream if you like.
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Michelle C" > wrote in message
> I've received some tasty recipes from you along the way. Thought I'd
> create a formal post to share my newest favorite, and hope that you all
> will "play" too. :-)

That sound really good Michelle, here's one from a friend that I really like
and make often.

Green Chile Stew:

I lg can diced green chiles
2-3 pound pork loin
2 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS ground cumin
2 lg onions, finely chopped
3 cups stewed tomatoes
2 cups water
2tsp salt
sour cream for garnish

Cut pork in bite sized pieces, heat olive oil in large pot and add pork.
When pork is fully cooked, add remaining ingredients, and allow mixture to
cook at medium low heat for an hour or so, until stew is very thick. Put a
serving in a bowl, top with a good sized dollop of sour cream and eat. It's
better the next day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Michelle C" > wrote in message
>> I've received some tasty recipes from you along the way. Thought I'd
>> create a formal post to share my newest favorite, and hope that you all
>> will "play" too. :-)

Thanks Cheri! That does sound VERY yummy. I'm copying it now. :-) Hmmm.
I think I have a pork loin in the freezer.....

I'm trying to get all the recipes I use regularly typed up and in a notebook
for easy access rather than having to remember which cookbook they are in,
etc. So I intend to keep adding to this thread. Here's another: (although
I can't take full credit; Nicky told me about the curry spices and gave me
lots of ideas.)

Curried Beef

Spices:

½ tsp tumeric

½ tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp ground cloves

¼ tsp ginger

¼ tsp dried mustard

¼ tsp fennel seeds

¾ tsp black pepper

Ingredients:

Olive oil for sautéing

2 onions, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped

1 ½ lbs sliced beef

1 can diced tomatoes

1 red bell pepper

16 oz frozen broccoli

1 C frozen peas

water

Directions:

Sauté onion and garlic until they begin to soften. While sautéing the onion
and garlic add the spices. Add beef and brown a bit. Add remaining
ingredients and barely cover with water. Simmer until cooked. (Usually @1
hour from the time you start sauteing.)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Another keeper Michelle, thanks.

Cheri

> I'm trying to get all the recipes I use regularly typed up and in a
> notebook for easy access rather than having to remember which cookbook
> they are in, etc. So I intend to keep adding to this thread. Here's
> another: (although I can't take full credit; Nicky told me about the curry
> spices and gave me lots of ideas.)
>
> Curried Beef
>

> Spices:
>
> ½ tsp tumeric
>
> ½ tsp cinnamon
>
> ¼ tsp ground cloves
>
> ¼ tsp ginger
>
> ¼ tsp dried mustard
>
> ¼ tsp fennel seeds
>
> ¾ tsp black pepper
>

> Ingredients:
>
> Olive oil for sautéing
>
> 2 onions, sliced
>
> 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
>
> 1 ½ lbs sliced beef
>
> 1 can diced tomatoes
>
> 1 red bell pepper
>
> 16 oz frozen broccoli
>
> 1 C frozen peas
>
> water
>

> Directions:
>
> Sauté onion and garlic until they begin to soften. While sautéing the
> onion and garlic add the spices. Add beef and brown a bit. Add remaining
> ingredients and barely cover with water. Simmer until cooked. (Usually
> @1 hour from the time you start sauteing.)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

OK, I'll play - I make this for breakfast two or three times a week -

2 oz boned chicken breast, trimmedinto bite size pieces
1/4 each diced onion, and sliced bell peppers of at least 2 colors (ie some
green & some red; or some yellow and some green, or whatever you've got)
1/2 T olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic salt
3 T salsa
3 T shredded Colby-Jack cheese

Heat the oil in a small skillet, and over medium heat, stir fry the onions
and peppers for a few minutes, until the onion become translucent. Add the
chicken and season with garlic salt. continue to stir fry until the chicken
pieces are no longer pink - 3-4 minutes in all. Add the salsa and stir fry
to heat through. Lower the heat and sprinkle the cheese over the mixture.
Cover the pan and hold on low heat for another minute or two until the
cheese is melted.

Serves one

If you wish - serve with tortillas or with rice. This can be expanded to
make a family meal, with tortillas and/or rice available for those who are
not watching carbs. And it also makes a tasty lunch and/or light supper.

My market offers chicken breast already boned and sliced and I usually buy
that - you can do that part yourself, of course. I like a "southwestern"
salsa which has a few beans and corn kernels in among the diced tomatoes and
peppers - choose the salsa you like best, they all taste good!

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock

"Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A R Pickett > wrote:
[...]

: --
: A R Pickett aka Woodstock

I do something similar for a quick and dirty fish dinner with a bland fish
like tilapia. I put the slice(s) fo rfish in a microwave safe dish with
the sliced onions and assorted peppers and top with salsa, garlic powder
and lemon juice, if desired. then microwave it until it is done. this
one is really fast and tasty. Nice in the summer so you don't have to
heat up the kitchen.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:30:09 -0800, "Michelle C"
> wrote:

>I've received some tasty recipes from you along the way. Thought I'd create
>a formal post to share my newest favorite, and hope that you all will "play"
>too. :-)

My favourite has to be the no-brainer easy breakfast, Mock Danish...

1 egg
2 oz cream cheese
da Vinci syrup to taste

Mix & nuke until desired texture - about 2 mins.

Even I can cope with making this in the morning...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:30:09 -0800, "Michelle C"
> > wrote:
>
>>I've received some tasty recipes from you along the way. Thought I'd
>>create
>>a formal post to share my newest favorite, and hope that you all will
>>"play"
>>too. :-)

> My favourite has to be the no-brainer easy breakfast, Mock Danish...
>
> 1 egg
> 2 oz cream cheese
> da Vinci syrup to taste
>
> Mix & nuke until desired texture - about 2 mins.
>
> Even I can cope with making this in the morning...

I use this one a lot from the LC recipe site. Easy and good. I like easy and
good in the morning. :-)

Spray a glass 2 cup measuring cup with cooking spray. Break 1-2 eggs into
the cup and make an X into the yolks.(This keeps them from exploding) Cook 1
minute per egg on Medium. Then mash the eggs with a fork, add salt, pepper,
a spoonful of mayonnaise, mustard and a small amt. of pickle relish. VERY
quick and tasty!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:30:09 -0800, "Michelle C"
> > wrote:
>
>>I've received some tasty recipes from you along the way. Thought I'd
>>create
>>a formal post to share my newest favorite, and hope that you all will
>>"play"
>>too. :-)

> My favourite has to be the no-brainer easy breakfast, Mock Danish...
>
> 1 egg
> 2 oz cream cheese
> da Vinci syrup to taste
>
> Mix & nuke until desired texture - about 2 mins.
>
> Even I can cope with making this in the morning...
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

I'll have to try that!
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"A R Pickett" > wrote in message
> OK, I'll play - I make this for breakfast two or three times a week -
>
> 2 oz boned chicken breast, trimmedinto bite size pieces
> 1/4 each diced onion, and sliced bell peppers of at least 2 colors (ie
> some green & some red; or some yellow and some green, or whatever you've
> got)
> 1/2 T olive oil
> 1/4 tsp garlic salt
> 3 T salsa
> 3 T shredded Colby-Jack cheese
>
> Heat the oil in a small skillet, and over medium heat, stir fry the onions
> and peppers for a few minutes, until the onion become translucent. Add
> the chicken and season with garlic salt. continue to stir fry until the
> chicken pieces are no longer pink - 3-4 minutes in all. Add the salsa
> and stir fry to heat through. Lower the heat and sprinkle the cheese over
> the mixture. Cover the pan and hold on low heat for another minute or two
> until the cheese is melted.
>
> Serves one
>
> If you wish - serve with tortillas or with rice. This can be expanded to
> make a family meal, with tortillas and/or rice available for those who are
> not watching carbs. And it also makes a tasty lunch and/or light supper.
>
> My market offers chicken breast already boned and sliced and I usually buy
> that - you can do that part yourself, of course. I like a "southwestern"
> salsa which has a few beans and corn kernels in among the diced tomatoes
> and peppers - choose the salsa you like best, they all taste good!
>
> --
> A R Pickett aka Woodstock
>
> "Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
> Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author
>
> Read my book reviews at:
> http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html
>
> Now blogging!
> http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/
>
> Remove lower case "e" to respond

That does sound yummy! Thanks! I'm very partial to stirring things up in a
skillet. You could probably tell by what I posted. :-)
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>A R Pickett > wrote:
> : OK, I'll play - I make this for breakfast two or three times a week -
>
> : 2 oz boned chicken breast, trimmedinto bite size pieces
> : 1/4 each diced onion, and sliced bell peppers of at least 2 colors (ie
> some
> : green & some red; or some yellow and some green, or whatever you've got)
> : 1/2 T olive oil
> : 1/4 tsp garlic salt
> : 3 T salsa
> : 3 T shredded Colby-Jack cheese
>
> : Heat the oil in a small skillet, and over medium heat, stir fry the
> onions
> : and peppers for a few minutes, until the onion become translucent. Add
> the
> : chicken and season with garlic salt. continue to stir fry until the
> chicken
> : pieces are no longer pink - 3-4 minutes in all. Add the salsa and stir
> fry
> : to heat through. Lower the heat and sprinkle the cheese over the
> mixture.
> : Cover the pan and hold on low heat for another minute or two until the
> : cheese is melted.
>
> : Serves one
>
> : If you wish - serve with tortillas or with rice. This can be expanded
> : make a family meal, with tortillas and/or rice available for those who
> are
> : not watching carbs. And it also makes a tasty lunch and/or light
> supper.
>
> : My market offers chicken breast already boned and sliced and I usually
> buy
> : that - you can do that part yourself, of course. I like a
> "southwestern"
> : salsa which has a few beans and corn kernels in among the diced tomatoes
> and
> : peppers - choose the salsa you like best, they all taste good!
>
> : --
> : A R Pickett aka Woodstock
>
> I do something similar for a quick and dirty fish dinner with a bland fish
> like tilapia. I put the slice(s) fo rfish in a microwave safe dish with
> the sliced onions and assorted peppers and top with salsa, garlic powder
> and lemon juice, if desired. then microwave it until it is done. this
> one is really fast and tasty. Nice in the summer so you don't have to
> heat up the kitchen.
>
> Wendy

Good idea, Wendy. I do use the microwave A LOT--especially in the summer.
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:30:09 -0800, "Michelle C"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I've received some tasty recipes from you along the way. Thought I'd
>>>create
>>>a formal post to share my newest favorite, and hope that you all will
>>>"play"
>>>too. :-)

>> My favourite has to be the no-brainer easy breakfast, Mock Danish...
>>
>> 1 egg
>> 2 oz cream cheese
>> da Vinci syrup to taste
>>
>> Mix & nuke until desired texture - about 2 mins.
>>
>> Even I can cope with making this in the morning...

> I use this one a lot from the LC recipe site. Easy and good. I like easy
> and good in the morning. :-)
>

> Spray a glass 2 cup measuring cup with cooking spray. Break 1-2 eggs into
> the cup and make an X into the yolks.(This keeps them from exploding) Cook
> 1 minute per egg on Medium. Then mash the eggs with a fork, add salt,
> pepper, a spoonful of mayonnaise, mustard and a small amt. of pickle
> relish. VERY quick and tasty!

Sounds like a quick egg salad. Egg salad is one of my favorites. :-)
Thanks Cheri!
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:57:18 -0800, "Michelle C"
> wrote:

>This will definitely expand my repetoire. I've never used anchovy paste
>before. Thanks, Susan!

Anchovy paste is a GREAT addition to a beef stew - it adds richness
and depth of flavour. I also quite often add it to a pasta sauce, too.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:57:18 -0800, "Michelle C"
> > wrote:
>
> >This will definitely expand my repetoire. I've never used anchovy paste
> >before. Thanks, Susan!

> Anchovy paste is a GREAT addition to a beef stew - it adds richness
> and depth of flavour. I also quite often add it to a pasta sauce, too.

My chicken cacciatore recipe is a variant on one I got from a NY Times
cookbook when I was in my teens. It calls for minced anchovies, and is
totally YUM.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >This will definitely expand my repetoire. I've never used anchovy paste
: >before. Thanks, Susan!

: Anchovy paste is a GREAT addition to a beef stew - it adds richness
: and depth of flavour. I also quite often add it to a pasta sauce, too.

: Nicky.

What is the advantage over just smashing up some canned ones?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:28:10 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Nicky > wrote:
>: On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:57:18 -0800, "Michelle C"
>: > wrote:
>
>: >This will definitely expand my repetoire. I've never used anchovy paste
>: >before. Thanks, Susan!
>
>: Anchovy paste is a GREAT addition to a beef stew - it adds richness
>: and depth of flavour. I also quite often add it to a pasta sauce, too.

>What is the advantage over just smashing up some canned ones?

If I use a can, I can absolutely guarantee that my kidlet, who thinks
she hates all fish, will get the one bone that didn't mash properly.
Otherwise, none :P

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Member

Here´s one I made last night using pork chops-

Pork Steak / Beef Steak Filipino Style Recipe
Marinate the pork or beef steak in lemon juice, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and pepper for 30 minutes.
In a frying, add cooking oil. Add the marinated pork or beef steak and cook slow until done.
Increase heat for a minute or two to brown steaks.
Add the sliced onions and continue to cook for another minute.
Serve on a platter including the oil and sauce.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Antwan" > wrote in message

> Here´s one I made last night using pork chops-
>
> Pork Steak / Beef Steak Filipino Style Recipe
> Marinate the pork or beef steak in lemon juice, garlic, ginger, soy
> sauce and pepper for 30 minutes.
> In a frying, add cooking oil. Add the marinated pork or beef steak and
> cook slow until done.
> Increase heat for a minute or two to brown steaks.
> Add the sliced onions and continue to cook for another minute.
> Serve on a platter including the oil and sauce.
>

> --
> Antwan

Another keeper! It sounds absolutely delicious! Okay for those like me who
need proportions, how much of each of the ingredients in the marinade do you
use?

Thanks!
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A new one:

Tangy Pork Loin (or Chops)

Ingredients:

2-3 pounds pork loin

1 lg onion (or 2 medium), chopped

1 lg pepper (any color you like), chopped

2 celery ribs chopped

14 ½ oz can diced tomatoes

1/3 C One Carb ketchup

2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbs vinegar

2 Tbs Splenda

1 Tbs lemon juice

1/8 tsp pepper

Directions:

Place pork loin in the bottom of the slow cooker and sprinkle with pepper.
Add onion, pepper, celery and tomatoes on top of the pork loin. Combine
ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, Splenda, and lemon juice, then pour
over the top of the veggies.

Cook until done. I usually cook on high for about 6 hours. I've noticed
the recipe books say less time, but I'm a little paranoid about under-cooked
meat.
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Michelle C > wrote:
: A new one:

: Tangy Pork Loin (or Chops)

: Ingredients:

: 2-3 pounds pork loin

This one is not for me:-) but I have a great simple and infinitely
variable chicken recipe I "invented" when I was an old teenager, staying
in my folks city apartment one summer with my brother when the folks were
away. I have since "perfected" it but amounts are quite variable.

Lemon Chicken(Basic recipe)

1 cut up chicken(4-8 pieces)
1 medium lemon
freshly ground black pepper
salt if it is not a kosher chicken
garlic powder
1 sliced onion
herb of choice or herbs
Some kind of hot or hottish spice-ginger, hot paprika, Hawaj(a Yeminite
spice mix from Israel) Baharat(a middle Eastern spice mix ) curry
powder,whatever to taste

Zest the lemon and sprinkle the zest all over the chicken. Squeeze the
lemon juice all over the chicen which is in the pan you will cook it in.
pack the chicken in the pan fairly close together, skin side up. Rub the
chicken with all the dry ingredients and spread the onion slices all
around, over and under the chicken. Put chicken in a hot oven 425-475F
roast 30-45 minutes until well browned, crisp skin and fully cooked meat.

Add whle mushrooms placed under the chicken pieces.

Put pieces (or halves of small potatoes) around the edge of the pan kind
of on top of the chicken for the non-diabetic family members.

Omit hot or hottish spices if family doesn't like them.

Use different herbs and/or spices each time you make it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Michelle C > wrote:
> : A new one:
>
> : Tangy Pork Loin (or Chops)
>

> : Ingredients:
>
> : 2-3 pounds pork loin
>
> This one is not for me:-) but I have a great simple and infinitely
> variable chicken recipe I "invented" when I was an old teenager, staying
> in my folks city apartment one summer with my brother when the folks were
> away. I have since "perfected" it but amounts are quite variable.
>
> Lemon Chicken(Basic recipe)
>
> 1 cut up chicken(4-8 pieces)
> 1 medium lemon
> freshly ground black pepper
> salt if it is not a kosher chicken
> garlic powder
> 1 sliced onion
> herb of choice or herbs
> Some kind of hot or hottish spice-ginger, hot paprika, Hawaj(a Yeminite
> spice mix from Israel) Baharat(a middle Eastern spice mix ) curry
> powder,whatever to taste
>
> Zest the lemon and sprinkle the zest all over the chicken. Squeeze the
> lemon juice all over the chicen which is in the pan you will cook it in.
> pack the chicken in the pan fairly close together, skin side up. Rub the
> chicken with all the dry ingredients and spread the onion slices all
> around, over and under the chicken. Put chicken in a hot oven 425-475F
> roast 30-45 minutes until well browned, crisp skin and fully cooked meat.

> Add whle mushrooms placed under the chicken pieces.
>
> Put pieces (or halves of small potatoes) around the edge of the pan kind
> of on top of the chicken for the non-diabetic family members.
>
> Omit hot or hottish spices if family doesn't like them.
>
> Use different herbs and/or spices each time you make it.

Thanks Wendy! It's going in my file. :-)

Absolutely! The pork loin is NOT for you. I bet you could substitute beef
and it would also be tasty though.
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

favorite low-carb quiche? Ricavito Diabetic 9 02-02-2011 09:03 PM
Favorite low carb food? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 2 31-12-2010 08:02 AM
Recipes: Favorite Tejas Smokers Barbecue Pit Recipes Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 0 30-10-2005 12:10 PM
low carb recipes sf General Cooking 58 06-09-2004 08:52 PM
FA: Favorite Recipes of Jaycee Wives SC 2000 Recipes katie-mae Marketplace 0 18-03-2004 11:41 PM