Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chinese broccoli

Jun bought some Chinese broccoli. Here's a pic.

http://www.tinypic.info/files/2vkb7tc61o2vrsldjwbp.jpg

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Jun bought some Chinese broccoli. Here's a pic.
>
> http://www.tinypic.info/files/2vkb7tc61o2vrsldjwbp.jpg

Thank you Nick. I know I have never had that.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 28 Jan 2009 00:05:33 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Jun bought some Chinese broccoli. Here's a pic.
>
>http://www.tinypic.info/files/2vkb7tc61o2vrsldjwbp.jpg

Yeah, that looks like the stuff Priscilla posted. So, I'm buying
veggie seeds in the next week or two - just how good IS this stuff,
Nick? And what does Jun or your daughter do with it?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Jun bought some Chinese broccoli. Here's a pic.
>
> http://www.tinypic.info/files/2vkb7tc61o2vrsldjwbp.jpg

Yup! I still have a couple of stalks left in my fridge.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >Jun bought some Chinese broccoli. Here's a pic.
> >
> >http://www.tinypic.info/files/2vkb7tc61o2vrsldjwbp.jpg

> Yeah, that looks like the stuff Priscilla posted. So, I'm buying
> veggie seeds in the next week or two - just how good IS this stuff,
> Nick? And what does Jun or your daughter do with it?

I really like it, Nicky. It's tenderer and sweeter than European broccoli
and most of the dark green leafies I've eaten. Jun stir-fries it with a
little Oyster sauce. Chinese restaurants steam it, then sprinkle some
Oyster sauce on when they serve it. I only know it as a side dish like
that.

Have you tried Bitter Melon (which isn't bitter)? It's real good in soups
and good for your BG. A morning tea made from thin, dried slices is nice,
too. When I was living in the mountains in Thailand, I had a big, steaming
cup of it every morning at sunrise, as I watched the dragonflies devouring
mosquitos.

families! https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran and
Support Our Troops. http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 29 Jan 2009 06:56:44 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>I really like it, Nicky. It's tenderer and sweeter than European broccoli
>and most of the dark green leafies I've eaten. Jun stir-fries it with a
>little Oyster sauce. Chinese restaurants steam it, then sprinkle some
>Oyster sauce on when they serve it. I only know it as a side dish like
>that.

Sounds good! I might give it a try. Lovely easy cooking method.

>Have you tried Bitter Melon (which isn't bitter)?

ROFL! Oh yes it is - seriously, pucker your mouth for a week
bitter... it needs to be brined before you even think about using it,
although for some reason the dried stuff is far less so. Yes, when I
can get it, I make an excellent Indian pickle with it, or sometimes
add it to a stir fry. I'm a little bit careful with amounts, though,
because it's a beta cell stimulator. The Indian name is karela.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> >Have you tried Bitter Melon (which isn't bitter)?

> ROFL! Oh yes it is - seriously, pucker your mouth for a week
> bitter... it needs to be brined before you even think about using it,
> although for some reason the dried stuff is far less so. Yes, when I
> can get it, I make an excellent Indian pickle with it, or sometimes
> add it to a stir fry. I'm a little bit careful with amounts, though,
> because it's a beta cell stimulator. The Indian name is karela.

Hmm. Jun doesn't brine it AFAIK. She cuts it in half lengthwise, de-seeds
it, cuts it into 1" chunks and simmers it in soups, with pork or chicken, I
think.

I really like the tea. Doesn't need Splenda or anything.

I got some nice karela recipes on Google. Thanks, Nicky.

Beta cell stimulator, eh? I wonder if the fatalajon, sadau and lotus seed
germ do that, too.

families! https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran and
Support Our Troops. http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 29 Jan 2009 09:49:34 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Nicky > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> >Have you tried Bitter Melon (which isn't bitter)?

>> ROFL! Oh yes it is - seriously, pucker your mouth for a week
>> bitter... it needs to be brined before you even think about using it,
>> although for some reason the dried stuff is far less so. Yes, when I
>> can get it, I make an excellent Indian pickle with it, or sometimes
>> add it to a stir fry. I'm a little bit careful with amounts, though,
>> because it's a beta cell stimulator. The Indian name is karela.

>Hmm. Jun doesn't brine it AFAIK.

Huh - I wonder if we have different things (again)? There's no way you
could eat the ones I buy without salting it.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> > Yeah, that looks like the stuff Priscilla posted. So, I'm buying
> > veggie seeds in the next week or two - just how good IS this stuff,
> > Nick? And what does Jun or your daughter do with it?

> I really like it, Nicky. It's tenderer and sweeter than European broccoli
> and most of the dark green leafies I've eaten. Jun stir-fries it with a
> little Oyster sauce. Chinese restaurants steam it, then sprinkle some
> Oyster sauce on when they serve it. I only know it as a side dish like
> that.

It makes a lovely stir fried beef with broccoli. I season with garlic
and soy sauce.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2009 09:49:34 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
> >Nicky > wrote:
> >> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >>
> >> ROFL! Oh yes it is - seriously, pucker your mouth for a week
> >> bitter... it needs to be brined before you even think about using it,
> >> although for some reason the dried stuff is far less so. Yes, when I
> >> can get it, I make an excellent Indian pickle with it, or sometimes
> >> add it to a stir fry. I'm a little bit careful with amounts, though,
> >> because it's a beta cell stimulator. The Indian name is karela.

> >Hmm. Jun doesn't brine it AFAIK.

> Huh - I wonder if we have different things (again)? There's no way you
> could eat the ones I buy without salting it.

2 pics, Nicky. The top is Chinese bitter melon, as Jun buys here in Los
Angeles. The bottom is young bitter melon, as picked in the mountains of
northern Thailand. Taste similar to me. When Jun gets home, I'll ask her if
she brines them.

http://www.tinypic.info/files/okb0zpagybdhe1geuw3f.jpg

families! https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran and
Support Our Troops. http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, that looks like the stuff Priscilla posted. So, I'm buying
> > > veggie seeds in the next week or two - just how good IS this stuff,
> > > Nick? And what does Jun or your daughter do with it?

> > I really like it, Nicky. It's tenderer and sweeter than European
> > broccoli and most of the dark green leafies I've eaten. Jun stir-fries
> > it with a little Oyster sauce. Chinese restaurants steam it, then
> > sprinkle some Oyster sauce on when they serve it. I only know it as a
> > side dish like that.

> It makes a lovely stir fried beef with broccoli. I season with garlic
> and soy sauce.

Jun said that, when she gets home tonight, she's gonna make some with
garlic, shrimp and oyster sauce. I think she's gonna boil the broc in a
little water, before tossing it in the wok.

families! https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran and
Support Our Troops. http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 30 Jan 2009 04:17:32 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>2 pics, Nicky. The top is Chinese bitter melon, as Jun buys here in Los
>Angeles. The bottom is young bitter melon, as picked in the mountains of
>northern Thailand. Taste similar to me. When Jun gets home, I'll ask her if
>she brines them.
>
>http://www.tinypic.info/files/okb0zpagybdhe1geuw3f.jpg

This is closer to what I can buy:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_1...8734Ck0lMr.jpg

Looks greener and knobblier than yours; maybe we eat 'em more mature,
or maybe the bitterness is in the skin?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >2 pics, Nicky. The top is Chinese bitter melon, as Jun buys here in Los
> >Angeles. The bottom is young bitter melon, as picked in the mountains of
> >northern Thailand. Taste similar to me. When Jun gets home, I'll ask her
> >if she brines them.
> >
> >http://www.tinypic.info/files/okb0zpagybdhe1geuw3f.jpg

> This is closer to what I can buy:
> http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_1...8734Ck0lMr.jpg
>
> Looks greener and knobblier than yours; maybe we eat 'em more mature,
> or maybe the bitterness is in the skin?

Maybe. I dunno. BTW the bottom ones are not young. They're Thai bitter
melon. Jun says they're more bitter than the Chinese, but made a "yum yum"
face as she told me how good they are are with Thai Nam Prik (real hot
sauce)!

families! https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran and
Support Our Troops. http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> > > I really like it, Nicky. It's tenderer and sweeter than European
> > > broccoli and most of the dark green leafies I've eaten. Jun stir-fries
> > > it with a little Oyster sauce. Chinese restaurants steam it, then
> > > sprinkle some Oyster sauce on when they serve it. I only know it as a
> > > side dish like that.

> > It makes a lovely stir fried beef with broccoli. I season with garlic
> > and soy sauce.

> Jun said that, when she gets home tonight, she's gonna make some with
> garlic, shrimp and oyster sauce. I think she's gonna boil the broc in a
> little water, before tossing it in the wok.

After I've stir fried the broccoli for a minute, I pour a little boiling
water in the kuo (wok), put on a lid, and steam it for a minute or so.
Then I take out the broccoli, stir fry the meat, return the broccoli,
and add any final sauce elements.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2009 04:17:32 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
> >2 pics, Nicky. The top is Chinese bitter melon, as Jun buys here in Los
> >Angeles. The bottom is young bitter melon, as picked in the mountains of
> >northern Thailand. Taste similar to me. When Jun gets home, I'll ask her if
> >she brines them.
> >
> >http://www.tinypic.info/files/okb0zpagybdhe1geuw3f.jpg

> This is closer to what I can buy:
> http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_1...8734Ck0lMr.jpg
>
> Looks greener and knobblier than yours; maybe we eat 'em more mature,
> or maybe the bitterness is in the skin?

One page I read said to parboil the bitter melon for a couple of minutes
to remove most of the bitterness before stir frying it.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: >
: > Jun said that, when she gets home tonight, she's gonna make some with
: > garlic, shrimp and oyster sauce. I think she's gonna boil the broc in a
: > little water, before tossing it in the wok.

: After I've stir fried the broccoli for a minute, I pour a little boiling
: water in the kuo (wok), put on a lid, and steam it for a minute or so.
: Then I take out the broccoli, stir fry the meat, return the broccoli,
: and add any final sauce elements.

: PP

Thanks for the idea. I have ofen found that the broccoli doesn't cook
sufficiently in a stir fry, at least fo rmy and my husban's tate.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On 29 Jan 2009 09:49:34 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>Nicky > wrote:
>>> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>>
>>> ROFL! Oh yes it is - seriously, pucker your mouth for a week
>>> bitter... it needs to be brined before you even think about using it,
>>> although for some reason the dried stuff is far less so. Yes, when I
>>> can get it, I make an excellent Indian pickle with it, or sometimes
>>> add it to a stir fry. I'm a little bit careful with amounts, though,
>>> because it's a beta cell stimulator. The Indian name is karela.

>>Hmm. Jun doesn't brine it AFAIK.

> Huh - I wonder if we have different things (again)? There's no way you
> could eat the ones I buy without salting it.
>
> Nicky.

..
Or could it depend on how fresh it is, or how warm a climate it is
grown in? Do you know where your is grown?

Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:40:08 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> wrote:

>Or could it depend on how fresh it is, or how warm a climate it is
>grown in? Do you know where your is grown?

Yes, very possible explanation. Mine are probably imported from India
or Pakistan at this time of year. They're supposed to be dead easy to
grow - maybe I'll give them a shot and see how they vary.