Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pasta....

Pasta, in all its wonderful variations, is the one food I really miss.

Occasionally I indulge anyway, but it is sparing. I have tried the
dreamfields, and the whole grain pastas, and I still come back to the
imported top quality kind. I believe it is made with a different quality
of wheat, higher in protein or something, because nothing will spike me like
grocery store brand cheap pasta.

I used to have pasta once a week, now it is more like a once a month treat,
and I usually fill out the meal with lots of other things, so I don't just
chow down on a plate of high carb food.

An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something like
broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for me. But no
bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my realm of restraint.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:21:09 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something like
>broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for me. But no
>bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my realm of restraint.

Do you do flaxseed, Evelyn? This recipe, with tons of garlic added,
makes a really good garlic bread... scroll down to the Jalapeno
version...
http://vikkiskitchn.spaces.live.com/...sa=5770 14131

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> Pasta, in all its wonderful variations, is the one food I really miss.
>
> Occasionally I indulge anyway, but it is sparing. I have tried the
> dreamfields, and the whole grain pastas, and I still come back to the
> imported top quality kind. I believe it is made with a different
> quality of wheat, higher in protein or something, because nothing will
> spike me like grocery store brand cheap pasta.
>
> I used to have pasta once a week, now it is more like a once a month
> treat, and I usually fill out the meal with lots of other things, so I
> don't just chow down on a plate of high carb food.
>
> An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something
> like broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for me.
> But no bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my realm of
> restraint.

We do Dreamfields here but even when we do, it's 2 ounces dry for 2
people. We eat similar to you. Big salad as a first course. All the raw
veggies seem to fill our tummies very much the way carbohydrates do.

Tonight's dinner will be grilled chicken breasts (haven't decided the
marinade yet), salad and Mexican squash that is similar to zucchini
sauteed with some onion and fresh tomato.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:21:09 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something like
>>broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for me. But no
>>bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my realm of
>>restraint.

> Do you do flaxseed, Evelyn? This recipe, with tons of garlic added,
> makes a really good garlic bread... scroll down to the Jalapeno
> version...
> http://vikkiskitchn.spaces.live.com/...sa=5770 14131
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Thank you Nicky. That sounds good!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>>
>> Pasta, in all its wonderful variations, is the one food I really miss.
>>
>> Occasionally I indulge anyway, but it is sparing. I have tried the
>> dreamfields, and the whole grain pastas, and I still come back to the
>> imported top quality kind. I believe it is made with a different
>> quality of wheat, higher in protein or something, because nothing will
>> spike me like grocery store brand cheap pasta.
>>
>> I used to have pasta once a week, now it is more like a once a month
>> treat, and I usually fill out the meal with lots of other things, so I
>> don't just chow down on a plate of high carb food.
>>
>> An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something like
>> broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for me. But no
>> bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my realm of
>> restraint.

> We do Dreamfields here but even when we do, it's 2 ounces dry for 2
> people. We eat similar to you. Big salad as a first course. All the raw
> veggies seem to fill our tummies very much the way carbohydrates do.
>
> Tonight's dinner will be grilled chicken breasts (haven't decided the
> marinade yet), salad and Mexican squash that is similar to zucchini
> sauteed with some onion and fresh tomato.

Hubby just built a fire in the woodstove (fireplace insert) and it is
blazing. I am making a simple dinner tonight. Fresh green beans,
steamed. Local beef sirloin, chopped today, grilled to perfection as a
salisbury steak, rare in the middle. Outside sprinkled with a bit of
garlic. We will be watching "Ghost Whisperer" in a half an hour.

Hugs to all you guys here...... including Julie who is still mad at me for
tellin' it like it is........ :-(

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:21:09 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:

>Pasta, in all its wonderful variations, is the one food I really miss.
>
>Occasionally I indulge anyway, but it is sparing. I have tried the
>dreamfields, and the whole grain pastas, and I still come back to the
>imported top quality kind. I believe it is made with a different quality
>of wheat, higher in protein or something, because nothing will spike me like
>grocery store brand cheap pasta.
>
>I used to have pasta once a week, now it is more like a once a month treat,
>and I usually fill out the meal with lots of other things, so I don't just
>chow down on a plate of high carb food.
>
>An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something like
>broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for me. But no
>bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my realm of restraint.

I came up with a simple solution that seems to work for me.
I found that I can handle more carbs with my evening meal
than at other times of day, so that is when I have my
occasional splurge with fettucine or spaghetti.

When the dish is finished and I've mixed the sauce and the
pasta in a serving dish or the big saucepan, the sauce tends
to pool around the edges. When I serve it the others get a
standard serve but I have half my old serve size of pasta
and I spoon up extra sauce from the edges for double the
sauce.

Works for me:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> Pasta, in all its wonderful variations, is the one food I really miss.
>
> Occasionally I indulge anyway, but it is sparing. I have tried the
> dreamfields, and the whole grain pastas, and I still come back to the
> imported top quality kind. I believe it is made with a different
> quality of wheat, higher in protein or something, because nothing will
> spike me like grocery store brand cheap pasta.
>
> I used to have pasta once a week, now it is more like a once a month
> treat, and I usually fill out the meal with lots of other things, so I
> don't just chow down on a plate of high carb food.
>
> An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something like
> broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for me. But no
> bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my realm of
> restraint.

Hi, Evelyn,

We only use imported durum semolina pastas here, too. With the big chunks
like cannolini, manicotti and even ravioli and tortellini, I limit myself
to 1/2 cup. With spaghettis, capellini, linguini and fettucini, 1/4 cup.
Jun makes a great marinara sauce and my daughter, Sai, does likewise with
Alfredo sauce. Lots of parmesan, romano or Gran Padano! Jun likes Garlic
bread. My limit is one bite. Damnit!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn wrote:
>>>
>>> Pasta, in all its wonderful variations, is the one food I really miss.
>>>
>>> Occasionally I indulge anyway, but it is sparing. I have tried the
>>> dreamfields, and the whole grain pastas, and I still come back to the
>>> imported top quality kind. I believe it is made with a different
>>> quality of wheat, higher in protein or something, because nothing
>>> will spike me like grocery store brand cheap pasta.
>>>
>>> I used to have pasta once a week, now it is more like a once a month
>>> treat, and I usually fill out the meal with lots of other things, so
>>> I don't just chow down on a plate of high carb food.
>>>
>>> An antipasto, a salad, some meatballs or sausage, and even something
>>> like broccoli rabe, as a side dish, can make a pasta meal OK for
>>> me. But no bread. If I got near the Italian bread, it is past my
>>> realm of restraint.

>> We do Dreamfields here but even when we do, it's 2 ounces dry for 2
>> people. We eat similar to you. Big salad as a first course. All the
>> raw veggies seem to fill our tummies very much the way carbohydrates do.
>>
>> Tonight's dinner will be grilled chicken breasts (haven't decided the
>> marinade yet), salad and Mexican squash that is similar to zucchini
>> sauteed with some onion and fresh tomato.

> Hubby just built a fire in the woodstove (fireplace insert) and it is
> blazing. I am making a simple dinner tonight. Fresh green beans,
> steamed. Local beef sirloin, chopped today, grilled to perfection as
> a salisbury steak, rare in the middle. Outside sprinkled with a bit of
> garlic. We will be watching "Ghost Whisperer" in a half an hour.
>
> Hugs to all you guys here...... including Julie who is still mad at me
> for tellin' it like it is........ :-(

Screw that surly waste of space, enjoy your yummy dinner and
cozy fire. :-)

Do you have a grill as part of your range ?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > Evelyn wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> Hubby just built a fire in the woodstove (fireplace insert) and it is
> blazing. I am making a simple dinner tonight. Fresh green beans,
> steamed. Local beef sirloin, chopped today, grilled to perfection as a
> salisbury steak, rare in the middle. Outside sprinkled with a bit of
> garlic. We will be watching "Ghost Whisperer" in a half an hour.
>
> Hugs to all you guys here...... including Julie who is still mad at me
> for tellin' it like it is........ :-(

Mmmm. Nice juicy Salisbury. Lick the plate for me! ;-P

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"High Miles" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:

>>> We do Dreamfields here but even when we do, it's 2 ounces dry for 2
>>> people. We eat similar to you. Big salad as a first course. All the raw
>>> veggies seem to fill our tummies very much the way carbohydrates do.
>>>
>>> Tonight's dinner will be grilled chicken breasts (haven't decided the
>>> marinade yet), salad and Mexican squash that is similar to zucchini
>>> sauteed with some onion and fresh tomato.

>> Hubby just built a fire in the woodstove (fireplace insert) and it is
>> blazing. I am making a simple dinner tonight. Fresh green beans,
>> steamed. Local beef sirloin, chopped today, grilled to perfection as a
>> salisbury steak, rare in the middle. Outside sprinkled with a bit of
>> garlic. We will be watching "Ghost Whisperer" in a half an hour.
>>
>> Hugs to all you guys here...... including Julie who is still mad at me
>> for tellin' it like it is........ :-(
>>

> Screw that surly waste of space, enjoy your yummy dinner and
> cozy fire. :-)
>
> Do you have a grill as part of your range ?

Unfortunately no. I bought a Thermador range when I got this house 8 years
ago. It is really a nice one, but just a standard 30 inch with a single
oven. But it is a gas top and an electric oven and broiler, which is
nice. My deck is right off the kitchen with a grill out there, so in
somewhat decent weather hubby will fire that up and grill steaks or
whatever, right outside, summer and winter. But with a snowstorm hitting
us, he is less inclined to do that. These salisbury steaks got pan fried,
but in a very hot pan.

WTF-Pasta Dimitri General Cooking 35 14-09-2008 06:18 AM
Pasta B.L.T. Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-12-2005 03:14 PM
Pasta alla Posillipo (Pasta with Mixed Seafood) Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 24-09-2005 12:27 PM
Pasta Alla Checca (pasta With Steeped Tomato 7Hawks Recipes 0 20-11-2004 10:26 PM