Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Any ideas for fresh limes?

My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.

Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type, but
since discovering T2 in August, that's out.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA!

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock
T2 metformin & glyberide

"Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"A R Pickett" > wrote:

> My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
> property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.
>
> Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type, but
> since discovering T2 in August, that's out.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Guacamole, ceviche, and probably other Mexican-inspired dishes.

You have to be a little sparing with this, as the lime juice has some
carbs, but a glass of sugar-free limeade can be a fine treat. Take a
tall highball glass, add the juice of one lime, a little bit of Splenda
(or other artificial sweetener of your choice), as much ice as you'd
like, and top off with cold water.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you can still make those desserts..just use smart subs like carbalose flour
or nut flours etc and a sweetner like splenda or a tol.

KROM

"A R Pickett" > wrote in message
> My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
> property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.
>
> Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type, but
> since discovering T2 in August, that's out.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA!
>
> --
> A R Pickett aka Woodstock
> T2 metformin & glyberide
>
> "Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
> Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author
>
> Read my book reviews at:
> http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html
>
> Now blogging!
> http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/
>
> Remove lower case "e" to respond

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/p...s,1272,RC.html

--
Ray
UK

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A R Pickett wrote:
> My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
> property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.
>
> Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type, but
> since discovering T2 in August, that's out.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA!

Granita! Here's a recipe for lemon/lime, but you can make it with all
lime juice.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Lime Granita

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : desserts

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice -- Persian
1/2 cup Splenda
1 16.9 ounce bottle of filtered water -- chilled
1/2 ounce vodka (optional)*
Place a 13" x 9" oblong metal baking pan in the freezer for at least
half an hour.

Juice the lemons and limes. Add the Splenda and the water. Stir to all
is dissolved.

Pour into the metal pan and freeze for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, using a fork, scraps the ice from the sides of the pan
and "rake" the mixture. Make sure there are no large chunks of ice.

Repeat 2 to 4 more times, raking every 30 minutes until mixture is
completely frozen and granular.

Remove to a covered container and serve scoops in champaign saucers or
similar small dishes.

If not serving, freeze. When ready to serve, remove from freezer for 10
to 15 minutes. Stir with a fork to break up any chunks and serve as above.

*the vodka keeps it from freezing too hard and gives it a slushier texture.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"A R Pickett" > wrote in message
> My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
> property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.
>
> Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type, but
> since discovering T2 in August, that's out.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA!

Pico de gallo.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A R Pickett > wrote:
: My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
: property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.

: Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type, but
: since discovering T2 in August, that's out.

: Anyone have any ideas?

: TIA!

: --
: A R Pickett aka Woodstock

You can use them in many uplaces where you woul duse lemons. Squeeze on
pieces of chicken before cooking, insalad dressings, marinades, etc. If
you want to make a cheesecake. like my low carb one that is a lemon
cheesecake, you could make it a lime or lemon/lime one.

Squeeze some into tea or diet cola. just lovely!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"A R Pickett" > wrote:
> My brother and his wife live near Orlando, and have citrus trees on their
> property. Each year we get a shipment round Xmas time.
>
> Most of my prior uses for them involved a sugary dessert of some type,
> but since discovering T2 in August, that's out.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA!

Ceviche - Jesse [my Hispanic son-in-law and one funny guy - Nick]

I grew up watching how my family made their ceviche and it has always been
a matter of guesstimation. It was meant to be eaten as an appetizer rather
than a main course but as time went by it became a meal. Ceviche is
basically uncooked fish that is marinated in lime juice and salt, the
citrus acids basically cook the fish so to speak (Shoot for at least 8
hours INSIDE THE FRIDGE, just to make sure the lime acid kills any microbes
which the fish might contain). As per the type of fish to use, Thresher
shark, sierra mackerel are pretty good choices for it; although lately I
have been using ground fish bought from Vallarta, they only offer ground
Tilapia and it has worked fairly well.

Once the fish is ready it will look white and will have a mushy consistency
(Ceviche is meant to be a spread but not a jailhouse one) Add chopped
cilantro, chopped cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, and finely chopped onions.
Fold the veggies onto the fish and serve over tostadas, with your choice of
hot sauce or any type of fresh chillies can be chopped and added onto the
mix if desired.

Serve cold and make sure to drink beer with it. (Try using any of the
Anheuser Busch Brands HA HA HA!) [He works for them - Nick]

With 3lbs. of fish I usually use about 7 to 8 limes, some salt to
counteract the tartness. About 5 large cucumbers, 4 large tomatoes(not roma
sweetness is not the goal) 1/2 White Onion and 1 bundle of cilantro leafy
side.

Word of caution when dealing with uncooked seafood as fresh as it might be,
not everyone's digestive system might be ready for it.

[He and my daughter, Sai, make this every couple of weeks]

*************************************

Ceviche de Baja [I haven't made this, but it sounds good to me - Nick]

6 cups Mexican Ceviche (recipe immediately following)
1/2 head lettuce, shredded
12 fried flat tortillas
2 cups guacamole
2 cups Chihuahua or Jack cheese, grated
1 cup salsa fresca and/or salsa verde

HOW TO MAKE THE CEVICHE

Ceviche originated in places where seafood was plentiful but
refrigeration rare. Ceviche is usually served as an appetizer, but is
wonderful in these tostadas as well. It's delicious, low in calories and
has become popular all over California, Baja and mainland Mexico because
of its subtle but spicy taste.

2 pounds cubed white fish or bay scallops, raw
5 - 10 fresh Serrano or jalapeño chiles, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 avocado, diced
1 bunch cilantro, with stems removed and diced
1 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice

In a large bowl combine all ingredients except l/2 the avocado and
cilantro. Toss gently but thoroughly, making sure all fish is coated
with lemon-lime mixture.

Cover and refrigerate for one to three hours, stirring occasionally.
Fish should become quite white and scallops will lose translucent
appearance. (Once this happens, you will know that the lemon juice has
"cooked" them and they are quite okay to eat.) Just prior to serving,
add avocado and top with remaining cilantro.

Spoon the chilled ceviche directly onto fried flat tortillas. Top with
listed toppings and serve immediately.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks, everyone.

I particularly like the salad dressing idea, and also the granita!

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock

"Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"A R Pickett" > wrote:
> Thanks, everyone.
>
> I particularly like the salad dressing idea, and also the granita!

Spicey Ceviche by Fosco

The following recipe is for 2 lb of shrimp.

Ingredients:

2 lb of RAW Shrimp
Lime (15 aprox) (I recommend to taste it first so it is not sour).
Onion (1/4 of the onion aprox).
Black Pepper.
Salt.
10 or more Serranos - I used 15
Handful of Cilantro (remove the dry leaves and the not so beautiful portion
of the stem).
Tostadas.

Preparation:

1)Shell and butterfly the raw shrimp.

2) Put the shrimp nicely layed out in a container.

3) Slice some onion over the shrimp (we normally slice 1/4 of the onion, if
you can get the purple one it's better) and sprinkle with black pepper and
salt, to taste.

4) Squeeze lime all over it until all the shrimp is well-covered by the
juice .
5) Once the shrimps turns PINK color, (it's a good sign !! you've done it
right so far), pour the liquids (lime mainly) into the blender and add the
chiles, the cilantro, a bit of salt and blend it !!!, you are almost done.
.. . .

6) Once you blended this delicious mixture, make sure that the liquid is
not too viscous, if so, just add little water, not much, and then pour into
the container with the shrimp and let it rest for about 2 to 3 hrs.

7) Serve it with Tostadas !!