Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

As sent to my daughters, in hopes that I'll get some. ;-)

This is traditionally served at Midnight on New Year's Eve, especially in
the South. Drop a dime in the pot when cooking. Whoever gets the dime is
guaranteed good luck throughout the year!

Let me know which one, if any, you use as a base and the results.

Traditional Black Eyed Peas

1 pound dried black-eyed peas
6 cups water
1/4 pound salt pork, cut into thick slices
1 to 10 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano

In a slow cooker, combine black-eyed peas with water; soak overnight
Cook soaked beans in water on High for 2 to 2 ˝ hours or until
tender, but not mushy. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Turn to Low; stir in salt pork, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano

Cover & cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Drain & serve. Save broth for another day or reduce some to serve with
peas.

Can also add:

˝ lb Mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1-1/2 med Onions, chopped
4 med Tomatoes, peeled & chopped
2 tsp Coriander
2 tsp Cumin
˝ tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Cayenne
3 Tbs Cilantro, chopped

****************************

Hoppin' John's Black eye peas

Ingredients:
2 cups dried black eyed peas
6 cups water
3/4 cup onion -- chopped
1/4 cup celery -- chopped
2 pounds ham hocks [I like pigs' feet - patitas]
1 cup brown rice -- uncooked
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Soak peas in the 6 cups of water overnight. Transfer soaked peas and
soaking liquid to a large pot and add onions, celery, and ham hocks. Cover
and cook over medium heat until peas are tender but still whole, about 45
minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add rice and pepper, cover,
and simmer for about 1 hour, or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to
prevent sticking. Remove meat from ham hocks and discard bones and fat
[Huh?]. Mix meat into peas and rice. Serve hot.

**************************************
Gabriela's Spicy Black eye peas

Ingredients:
1 pound dried black-eyed peas
2 quarts water
3 cups water
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles [I like Ortega brand]
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 dried or canned chipotle chile
˝ cup short-grain brown rice
3 large tomatoes -- peeled & chopped
salt to taste

Directions:

Rinse and sort through peas. In a deep 3 ˝ to 4 quart pan, bring 2 quarts
of the water to a boil over high heat. Add peas. Let water return to a
boil; then boil, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover, and
let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rise peas, discarding cooking water [Bah!
Why? Nick].

In a 3 ˝ quart or larger slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, green chiles,
cumin, pepper, baking soda, and chipotle chile. Stir in peas; pour in
remaining 3 cups water. Cover and cook at low setting until peas are tender
and to bite (9 to 10 hours). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Remove and discard chipotle chile [Nah! Just chop it up. Nick]; stir in
rice and tomatoes. Increase cooker setting to high; cover and cook until
rice is tender to bite (45 to 55 more minutes). Stir occasionally to
prevent sticking. Season to taste with salt. Serve in wide shallow bowls.

Happy New Year ! ! ! !

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place it
on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we also
have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers Father
was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut When we lived in Florida there was always Black
eyed peas at the after party meals...along with a breakfast of eggs, grits,
and ham.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]
> cumin, pepper, baking soda, and chipotle chile. Stir in peas; pour in
> remaining 3 cups water. Cover and cook at low setting until peas are
> tender
> and to bite (9 to 10 hours). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
>
> Remove and discard chipotle chile [Nah! Just chop it up. Nick]; stir in
> rice and tomatoes. Increase cooker setting to high; cover and cook until
> rice is tender to bite (45 to 55 more minutes). Stir occasionally to
> prevent sticking. Season to taste with salt. Serve in wide shallow bowls.
>
> Happy New Year ! ! ! !
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:42:06 -0700, "Jacquie"
> wrote:

>We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork.

Do you make your own sauerkraut?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]
> cumin, pepper, baking soda, and chipotle chile. Stir in peas; pour in
> remaining 3 cups water. Cover and cook at low setting until peas are
> tender
> and to bite (9 to 10 hours). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
>
> Remove and discard chipotle chile [Nah! Just chop it up. Nick]; stir in
> rice and tomatoes. Increase cooker setting to high; cover and cook until
> rice is tender to bite (45 to 55 more minutes). Stir occasionally to
> prevent sticking. Season to taste with salt. Serve in wide shallow bowls.
>
> Happy New Year ! ! ! !
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these ingredients
on hand.

Measure out two cups of basmati rice, combine it with 4 cups of water and
microwave it for 20 minutes uncovered, then fluff with a fork and cover it
till you are ready for it. (Note if you are using brown rice, it takes a
lot longer to cook, so adjust your recipe accordingly)

Now while your rice is cooking, get out your large frying pan.

A couple of slices of thick bacon, sliced into smallish squares
One green pepper, chopped
One big onion, chopped
A couple of cloves of garlic, sliced
A few red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne for heat
Salt and Pepper to taste

Fry the bacon till the fat is rendered out and it is crunchy.... reserve the
bacon, then sautee the veggies in the bacon grease till they are nice and
tender (while your rice is cooking).

One can of blackeyed peas, (drained and rinsed), add to the fry pan with the
veggies, add back the bacon bits.

Toss the rice with the veggies and peas and bacon etc. Mix well then cover
till you are ready to serve.

I usually make this dish about a half an hour ahead of when I plan to serve
it, to allow the flavors to blend together before I serve it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:
: We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
: take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place it
: on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we also
: have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
: Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers Father
: was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
: fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut When we lived in Florida there was always Black
: eyed peas at the after party meals...along with a breakfast of eggs, grits,
: and ham.

Naturally, I don't do pork as it is, clearly, nt kosher, but a wonderful,
quick and dirty dinner is to cook knockwurst or franks inn a pot of
saurkraut to which you add shole carroway seeds. Serve with some mustard
on the side and enjoy, no rolls for the franks(you can cut them into
pieces if you want), but great flavor. Good for weeknights or sudden
company.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nope..not that energetic..LOL. The easier the meals the better...

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:42:06 -0700, "Jacquie"
> > wrote:
>
>>We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork.

> Do you make your own sauerkraut?
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I don't care for caraway seeds...but the knockwurst sounds good When we
have hot dogs we always serve chili and onions and sauerkraut with it. I
don't use buns but with all that other stuff on top who misses the bun..LOL.
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Jacquie > wrote:
> : We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I
> usually
> : take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place
> it
> : on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we
> also
> : have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
> : Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers
> Father
> : was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
> : fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut When we lived in Florida there was always
> Black
> : eyed peas at the after party meals...along with a breakfast of eggs,
> grits,
> : and ham.
>
> Naturally, I don't do pork as it is, clearly, nt kosher, but a wonderful,
> quick and dirty dinner is to cook knockwurst or franks inn a pot of
> saurkraut to which you add shole carroway seeds. Serve with some mustard
> on the side and enjoy, no rolls for the franks(you can cut them into
> pieces if you want), but great flavor. Good for weeknights or sudden
> company.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote: [ . . . ]
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> []

Not Sicilian, either.

This is more like it:

"If you're interested in cooking classes, I highly recommend a stay at the
Regaleali winery and classes with Anna Tasca Lanza, a well known Sicillian
cookbook author.

We had an incredible lunch experience in the miniscule beach town of Porto
Paolo at a restaurant on the sand called "Da Vittorio"

Here's what I wrote about it from my journal:
"We sat down and asked for a menu. The waitress explained to us, in
Italian, that there wasn't a menu, just a set lunch. Aware this might be
the case, we said, "bring it on!" Shortly, the plates started arriving at
the table. First was a tomato bruschetta, followed quickly by garlic and
olive oil marinated mushrooms and tiny bay shrimp. Next came snails in a
spicy tomato sauce and grilled, stuffed swordfish. The fifth and final dish
of our antipasti was spadola, a white fish with silvery skin and mild
flavor served with carmelized onions and a sweet and sour sauce. Soon, the
next course arrived, a fruitti di mare pasta filled with clams, mussels,
and shrimp in a garlic and olive oil sauce with a hint of chili flake. The
pasta was a perfect al dente. At this point, we had no idea how much more
food was coming and we were starting to try and pace ourselves. But there
was more to come, and we were next brought a mixed grill fish platter with
wonderful grilled prawns, slightly overcooked swordfish, and a whole
grilled fish called dentesca. The meal was punctuated by not one, but two
desserts; a bowl of sliced fruit and a plate of hot, fried popovers, dusted
with sugar and filled with fresh ricotta and chocolate. In all, the service
was quick and efficient and by the end of our meal the restaurant had
filled up with other customers including a lady who hand-fed her little dog
pieces of fish at the table. We saw no other non-Italian tourists which
made sense given the remote location. When the check came, all of the
above, including a bottle of mineral water and 1/2 carafe of house wine
came to 60 Euro total."

Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>
> >We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork.

> Do you make your own sauerkraut?

Easy to do:

Sauerkraut 1

Ingredients

3 to 5 lbs shredded cabbage
3 tablespoons SEA SALT)

Directions

Shred cabbage finely. I use my ceramic Crock Pot insert or you can use a
Clay Pot. Mix cabbage and salt with your hands. Sprinkle salt on the
cabbage as you go. The salt pulls water out of the cabbage and this creates
the brine in which the cabbage can ferment and sour without rotting.
Fermentation will be complete in 10 to 12 days. Cover kraut with a plate or
some other lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a clean weight on
the inside . This weight is to force water out of the cabbage and then keep
the cabbage submerged under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a cloth
to keep dust and criters out. Check the kraut every couple of days and Skim
off the surface.Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a
few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. I sometime add
Caraway seeds.

From Philippe:

1 ounce avoirdupois salt to 5 lbs cabbage.

see bookmark "Sauerkraut (French).

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > []

> Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
> ingredients on hand.

[]

Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do my
cooking! ;-D

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Jacquie > wrote:

[ . . . ]

We use a lot of cabbage here. I've gotta get someone to make sauerkraut
(and kimchee)!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
> take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place it
> on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we
> also have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
> Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers Father
> was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
> fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut

I grew up in Ohio, and we had the same meal. The tradition was to serve
sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes, and sometimes applesauce at midnight.
That supposedly brought wealth and good luck. We bought the type of
sauerkraut sold in flexible bags (from the refrigerated sectionof the
grocery). My mother would rinse the sauerkraut several times, then cook
large quantities of that with lots of port buried in it. She would use pork
chops, pork ribs, and sometimes even some sausage. It would be slow cooked
all day, and the pork would be so tender that it would fall apart as we
scooped it out of the roaster.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> I grew up in Ohio, and we had the same meal. The tradition was to serve
> sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes, and sometimes applesauce at midnight.

[ . . . ]

That sure sounds good, Mary.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

What's even easier is popping open the bought jar ...LOL..
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Nicky > wrote:
>> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>>
>> >We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork.

>> Do you make your own sauerkraut?

> Easy to do:
>
> Sauerkraut 1
>
> Ingredients
>
> 3 to 5 lbs shredded cabbage
> 3 tablespoons SEA SALT)
>
> Directions
>
> Shred cabbage finely. I use my ceramic Crock Pot insert or you can use a
> Clay Pot. Mix cabbage and salt with your hands. Sprinkle salt on the
> cabbage as you go. The salt pulls water out of the cabbage and this
> creates
> the brine in which the cabbage can ferment and sour without rotting.
> Fermentation will be complete in 10 to 12 days. Cover kraut with a plate
> or
> some other lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a clean weight on
> the inside . This weight is to force water out of the cabbage and then
> keep
> the cabbage submerged under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a cloth
> to keep dust and criters out. Check the kraut every couple of days and
> Skim
> off the surface.Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a
> few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. I sometime add
> Caraway seeds.
>

> From Philippe:
>
> 1 ounce avoirdupois salt to 5 lbs cabbage.
>
> see bookmark "Sauerkraut (French).
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

. ..

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
>> take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place
>> it on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we
>> also have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
>> Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers
>> Father was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom
>> always fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut

> I grew up in Ohio, and we had the same meal. The tradition was to serve
> sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes, and sometimes applesauce at midnight.
> That supposedly brought wealth and good luck. We bought the type of
> sauerkraut sold in flexible bags (from the refrigerated sectionof the
> grocery). My mother would rinse the sauerkraut several times, then cook
> large quantities of that with lots of port buried in it. She would use
> pork chops, pork ribs, and sometimes even some sausage. It would be slow
> cooked all day, and the pork would be so tender that it would fall apart
> as we scooped it out of the roaster.
>
> MaryL

My BIL used to live in Columbus and my FIL lives up North of there(we don't
keep in touch) My BIL past away last year. You may have heard of the
Brubakers..I hear they are all over PA and Ohio My hubby's family were
Quakers in the early days...then became Brethren. hey have allot of history
but no one thought it important to record it.
We have our dinner on New Years Day since Hubby can't stay up until
midnight..LOL..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> > []

>> Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
>> ingredients on hand.

> []
>
> Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do my
> cooking! ;-D

I am the only one around here. Sometimes I can con my husband into helping
a little, but not much. Fortunately I love to cook, and have a large
freezer, which I keep stocked.

This thanksgiving, a local grocery store gave out free turkeys or free hams,
whichever one you wanted. The hams were not low salt, as I'd had that
brand before, and we'd had our fill of turkey already at that point.

So I took a ham thinking I would solve the salt problem some way. It was a
huge ham, far too large for the two of us, so I put off using it till
yesterday. I knew it would be a big job.

I decided to boil the ham to solve the salty problem, and in the process get
a nice big pot of broth for soup. That worked out very well, and once it
was cooked through, I removed the ham to the side to cool.

I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was done.
While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks were
sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added back into
the pea soup.

I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches, whatever.

Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I gave
to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We tend to
like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out really
good.

There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 31 Dec 2008 02:30:18 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Ingredients

Cheers, Nick - I have an excess of cabbage, and some sea salt, on hand
atm - might give that a go later! I'm not fond of the softness of
bought cabbage.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:55:15 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
>garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
>of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was done.
>While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks were
>sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added back into
>the pea soup.
>
>I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches, whatever.

Mmmm! I love ham. We finished the Christmas one yesterday, and I still
have a lot of the broth in the freezer : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >Ingredients

> Cheers, Nick - I have an excess of cabbage, and some sea salt, on hand
> atm - might give that a go later! I'm not fond of the softness of
> bought cabbage.

It should be the bomb, Nicky! Kim chee isn't much more difficult.

Kim Chee

Ingredients :

1 med Chinese (napa) cabbage head - (about 2 lbs)
4 tsp salt
6 garlic cloves minced
3 green onions, including tops minced
2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs sesame oil
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground toasted Sichuan peppercorns
6 dried chile peppers

Method :

Cut the cabbage lengthwise into sections about 2 inches wide; remove
the core. Cut each section crosswise into 2-inch lengths. Place the
cabbage in a large bowl, sprinkle it with the salt, and toss to mix
well. Cover with an inverted plate and weight it down with a heavy
object, such as a large juice can or a 1-quart jar filled with water.
Let stand for 3 minutes. Lightly rinse the cabbage under cold running
water and drain. Squeeze it to extract most of the liquid.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cabbage
and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a glass bowl or crock. Cover
with an inverted plate and weight down with a heavy object. A large bag of
water will conform nicely to the crock or bowl. Refrigerate for at least 4
days or up to 2 years before eating.

Comments: Kim chee is one of the treasures of Korean cooking; a
Korean meal served without it would seem almost bland. The most
popular vegetable for kim chee is Chinese (napa) cabbage, which is
salted, mixed with spices, and allowed to ferment to the desired
degree of tartness. Serve this spicy side dish in small portions, just
as you would any pickled vegetable.

Yield: 2 1/2 to 3 cups

I added about 1/2 Tbs of fish sauce and used toasted sesame oil.
Steve Wertz [my Texas buddy - makes the best Kim Chee this side of Korea]

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:55:15 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>

>>I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
>>garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
>>of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was
>>done.
>>While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks were
>>sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added back
>>into
>>the pea soup.
>>
>>I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches,
>>whatever.

> Mmmm! I love ham. We finished the Christmas one yesterday, and I still
> have a lot of the broth in the freezer : )

Ham is always such a bonus, because the leftovers and the broth is so
useful. If I get a low salt ham, I will bake it serve it, and whatever is
left after slicing off what we want, will go into a pot (still on the bone)
to make ham barley soup. I will put a bag of barley, carrots, parsnips,
celery (with the leaves), onions, a diced potato, a bay leaf, and cook it
till the barley is soft and tender. Remove the ham bone, and take off all
the bits of meat, chop them and add them back to the soup. It is so
delicious that everyone loves it. Most of the time people make pea or
lentil or other type of bean soup from a ham bone, but ham-barley soup is
wonderful too.

I have a great trick when I make any soup; whenever I boil carrots or onions
or potatoes, I save the water I cooked those veggies in, in any old junky
containers and mark them "soup water". Then when I make soup I pop all
those big ice cubes of veggie water into the pot rather than adding tap
water. It makes a much more flavorful soup.

This time of year is really soup weather, and it is a good way to get lots
of good healthy vegetables into your family. I always make a huge pot and
freeze the containers of soup for later use. That way there is always a
variety to choose from. About an hour before lunchtime I take out one
frozen container and put it into a pot on a VERY low heat. By the time
lunchtime rolls around, the soup is hot and ready to serve.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> This time of year is really soup weather, and it is a good way to get lots
> of good healthy vegetables into your family. I always make a huge pot and
> freeze the containers of soup for later use. That way there is always a
> variety to choose from. About an hour before lunchtime I take out one
> frozen container and put it into a pot on a VERY low heat. By the time
> lunchtime rolls around, the soup is hot and ready to serve.

Yep. It's snowing out and I have all the fixings for kale sausage soup.
I'd better get cracking; it's gonna take the beans a while to cook!

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> My BIL used to live in Columbus and my FIL lives up North of there(we
> don't keep in touch) My BIL past away last year. You may have heard of the
> Brubakers..I hear they are all over PA and Ohio My hubby's family were
> Quakers in the early days...then became Brethren. hey have allot of
> history but no one thought it important to record it.
> We have our dinner on New Years Day since Hubby can't stay up until
> midnight..LOL..

Yes! I grew up in northeast Ohio (a rural part of the state, about 65 miles
south and east of Cleveland). We knew some Brubakers.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>

>> This time of year is really soup weather, and it is a good way to get
>> lots
>> of good healthy vegetables into your family. I always make a huge pot
>> and
>> freeze the containers of soup for later use. That way there is always a
>> variety to choose from. About an hour before lunchtime I take out one
>> frozen container and put it into a pot on a VERY low heat. By the time
>> lunchtime rolls around, the soup is hot and ready to serve.

> Yep. It's snowing out and I have all the fixings for kale sausage soup.
> I'd better get cracking; it's gonna take the beans a while to cook!

Yummy! I made the sausage and escarole soup someone posted here recently,
and it was delicious.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
>>> ingredients on hand.

>> []
>>
>> Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do my
>> cooking! ;-D

> I am the only one around here. Sometimes I can con my husband into
> helping a little, but not much. Fortunately I love to cook, and have a
> large freezer, which I keep stocked.
>
> This thanksgiving, a local grocery store gave out free turkeys or free
> hams, whichever one you wanted. The hams were not low salt, as I'd had
> that brand before, and we'd had our fill of turkey already at that point.
>
> So I took a ham thinking I would solve the salt problem some way. It was
> a huge ham, far too large for the two of us, so I put off using it till
> yesterday. I knew it would be a big job.
>
> I decided to boil the ham to solve the salty problem, and in the process
> get a nice big pot of broth for soup. That worked out very well, and
> once it was cooked through, I removed the ham to the side to cool.
>
> I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
> garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
> of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was
> done. While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks
> were sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added
> back into the pea soup.
>
> I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches,
> whatever.
>
> Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I
> gave to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We tend
> to like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out really
> good.
>
> There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
> Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
> ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
> up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
> That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
> doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
> seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

Wow, you did train them well!

Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical. For
some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps with
the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.

There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells used
to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is time
to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian Wedding
soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.

As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with tripe,
and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make the
others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth with.
The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition of Okra
and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> []
>>>
>>> Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do
>>> my
>>> cooking! ;-D

>> I am the only one around here. Sometimes I can con my husband into
>> helping a little, but not much. Fortunately I love to cook, and have a
>> large freezer, which I keep stocked.
>>
>> This thanksgiving, a local grocery store gave out free turkeys or free
>> hams, whichever one you wanted. The hams were not low salt, as I'd had
>> that brand before, and we'd had our fill of turkey already at that point.
>>
>> So I took a ham thinking I would solve the salt problem some way. It
>> was a huge ham, far too large for the two of us, so I put off using it
>> till yesterday. I knew it would be a big job.
>>
>> I decided to boil the ham to solve the salty problem, and in the process
>> get a nice big pot of broth for soup. That worked out very well, and
>> once it was cooked through, I removed the ham to the side to cool.
>>
>> I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
>> garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting
>> pot of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it
>> was done. While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger
>> chunks were sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and
>> added back into the pea soup.
>>
>> I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches,
>> whatever.
>>
>> Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I
>> gave to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We
>> tend to like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out
>> really good.
>>
>> There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
>> Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
>> ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Evelyn
>>
>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily. The
food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.

The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells used
> to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
> delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is time
> to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/pro...8&pagenumber=2

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:
: When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
: up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
: That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
: doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
: seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

I would hesitate to eat split pea soup in a restaurant. It is generally
very thick, having been thickened by some additional starch besides he
peas themselves. also watch any creamed spinach in restaurants, as it is
ofen similarly thickened with either flour or cornstarch. I learned this
the hard way some years ago.

I don't make split pea soup anymore, but I do lightly lentiled lentil
soup, usign about half of what the recipe calls for and adding oher less
starchy vegetables. If you like it thck, puree the soup, either partly or
entirely.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: "Jacquie" > wrote in message
: m...
[...]

: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Stop! Stop! You are driving me to the soup pot:-) I am getting hungry
just reading all this. Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals! I wil do some
soup for next week which will also last us for quite a few days. I don't
freez a great deal of my soups, just a quart or so, as I have only a top
freezer. In the winter I love eating that way as it reduces the amount
of dinner cooking and makes the time a effort very worth while.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
> meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!

I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a stew
to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
should have a decent stew.

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
>> Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"
>>

> We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily. The
> food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they routinely
> use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local contact person
> said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.
>
> The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

Interesting. Husband's family is Italian and I've been told they come from
Sicily. Could explain why husband puts so much salt on everything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Jacquie > wrote:
> : When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
> : up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
> : That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
> : doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
> : seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.
>
> I would hesitate to eat split pea soup in a restaurant. It is generally
> very thick, having been thickened by some additional starch besides he
> peas themselves. also watch any creamed spinach in restaurants, as it is
> ofen similarly thickened with either flour or cornstarch. I learned this
> the hard way some years ago.
>
> I don't make split pea soup anymore, but I do lightly lentiled lentil
> soup, usign about half of what the recipe calls for and adding oher less
> starchy vegetables. If you like it thck, puree the soup, either partly or
> entirely.

The restaurant we dined at yesterday had navy bean soup. I really wanted
some but didn't have it. Seems most restaurants these days start with some
sort of soup base and it almost always has wheat in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> [...]

>>> added back into the pea soup.
>>>
>>> I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches,
>>> whatever.
>>>
>>> Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I
>>> gave to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We
>>> tend to like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out
>>> really good.
>>>
>>> There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
>>> Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
>>> ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Evelyn
>>>
>>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>>> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.
I also like the Campbell's frozen cream of potato soup. Remember their
frozen
soups?

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> [...]

>>> added back into the pea soup.
>>>
>>> I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches,
>>> whatever.
>>>
>>> Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I
>>> gave to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We
>>> tend to like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out
>>> really good.
>>>
>>> There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
>>> Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
>>> ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Evelyn
>>>
>>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>>> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
: > meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!

: I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a stew
: to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
: become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
: onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
: should have a decent stew.

: Priscilla

I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
> anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
> tripe, and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make
> the others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
> with. The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition
> of Okra and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.

Campbell soups used to have a lot of salt in them. I'm sure yours are
healthier.

As to tripe, you might like this:

Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.

Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely rich
Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

INGREDIENTS:

1-3/4 pound (800 g) tripe, diced
2 ounces (50 g) lard (substitute oil if you prefer)
1 onion
3 plum tomatoes
2 cloves garlic (optional)
2 eggplants, sliced and fried
1/2 pound (200 g) ground veal cooked in sauce (see below)
2 ounces (50 g) grated seasoned caciocavallo Sicilian cheese
1/4 pound (100 g) fresh primosale (extremely fresh Sicilian cheese as
opposed to seasoned - pecorino cheese if need be), thinly sliced
A small bunch parsley, minced
2 cloves, ground
A pinch ground cinnamon
3 eggs, 2 hard boiled and sliced, and the other fresh
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

Sauté the onion in the lard until lightly browned in an ovenproof pot. The
original recipe contains neither tomatoes nor garlic, but they've crept in
over the years. Therefore add them, together with the tripe, a few drops of
oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and the spices (cinnamon and cloves, to taste).
Stir well to combine, bring to a boil and remove from the fire when all is
heated through.

Pour the contents of the pot into a bowl. Don't wash the pot, but rather
refill it, layering it with the eggplant, the tripe, and then the ground
meat; dust the meat with some grated caciocavallo (don't put all of it into
the filling, however) and cover with a few slices of primo sale, then
repeat with more layers until all is used up. Sprinkle the oil over the top
and spread the hard boiled eggs over it too.

Lightly beat the fresh egg and mix the remaining caciocavallo into it,
together with salt, pepper, and a little more parsley. Spread this mixture
over the top and bake, covered, in the oven (400 F, 200 C) until it is
bubbling nicely, then remove cover and continue baking 'til it's nicely
browned. Serve with Nerello di Marsala, a dry red.

MANGIA! MANGIA!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

> We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily. The
> food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
> routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
> contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.
>
> The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

Sorry to hear that. You were at the wrong end (M word) of the island.
The east end is where you'll find the best people, food and
scenery. Catania for seafood! My Grandfather came from Giardini-Naxos.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Jacquie > wrote:
> : [ . . . ]
> I don't make split pea soup anymore, but I do lightly lentiled lentil
> soup, usign about half of what the recipe calls for and adding oher less
> starchy vegetables. If you like it thck, puree the soup, either partly
> or entirely.

My late ex-MIL made habichuelas negras, Puerto Rican black bean soup. I
loved it. That sweet old gal could cook! I make a version of it that is
thick and spicy, with no pureeing or thickeners added. Well, I do add pigs'
feet and let it all simmer overnight or more. Recipe on demand.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > Nick Cramer wrote:
> >
> >> Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

> > We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily.
> > The food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
> > routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
> > contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.
> >
> > The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

> Interesting. Husband's family is Italian and I've been told they come
> from Sicily. Could explain why husband puts so much salt on everything.

Does he know what village, town, city or region? My Grandfather came from
Giardini-Naxos, on the east end of Sicily, between Taormina and Catania.

Mediterranian sea salt is tasty. I like a few crystals on a Tbs of olive
oil or a slice of tomato, but, as AlanS says, "All things in moderation,
except laughter!"

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
> turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
> potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

I love turnips. I get them a few times a year, but always for Burns Night
(Jan 25th). Neeps and Tatties!