Old 02-01-2009, 11:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nicky" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Pssst... don't tell 'em...

They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:00:46 -0500, "Evelyn"
wrote:

Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered.

No need to worry him, but you might find this educational:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...and-death.html

There is a later paper showing a possible causative link for
T2. Just letting you know for awareness.

At least he will be eating as you eat at your place.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Hi Alan,

That was interesting reading. Hubby has had gum issues for years, and he
does now have DM. He's had regular scheduled cleanings forever, and had
several gum surgeries to correct it, so it isn't from neglect by any means.
But according to wikipedia this new laser treatment is truly the best way to
go.

Our dentist is a cutting edge kind of a guy with everything in their office
being the latest and best. They do the laser treatment on one entire side
of the mouth, both up and down, then go and do the other side within ten
days of the first. This is his second half, so he just has to go back for
a checkup.

It is a VERY expensive procedure. It cost thousands to do it. It also
took several hours to do it. The good part of having it done with the
laser is that there is much less pain than the traditional way where they
cut the gums, and that it is more effective, and supposedly more lasting,
and heals more quickly. I surely hope this is the case. Wikipedia has
some information on the laser gum treatment of periodontal disease.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite.
I could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he
couldn't...LOL.

I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it out
of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot to heat
very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it smells really
good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he wants this or that
soup from the freezer, he says no.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite.
I could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he
couldn't...LOL.

I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my
making soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it
out of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot
to heat very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it
smells really good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he wants
this or that soup from the freezer, he says no.

I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
[...]

If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are not
doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the flavors
meld together better.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
[...]

It's not the flavor. I don't like the texture of most stuff after it has
been frozen. I don't really even like frozen vegetables. My parents eat
them now, but growing up we only had canned or fresh.

There is also something about leftovers I just don't like. I don't know
what it is. It's not one particular thing. I have sometimes cooked a lot
of stuff and used the leftovers for days.

When I ate pancakes, I used to make tons and freeze them. Also did the same
with muffins. I just can't eat stuff out of the freezer any more. If I do
try to eat it, I am just put off by it and wind up throwing it out most of
the time.

I did cook up a ton of ground beef and froze it when I went to Costco before
the storm hit. The only ground beef they had came in a huge package. I
normally buy their 3 packs of 1 pound packages and we can usually use them
up before they go bad. Occasionally I have to put one in the freezer where
it usually stays until it has become frost bitten and I throw it out about a
year later. I am sometimes forced to use the frozen meat but it's very
difficult to remove from the package. I never can remember to take it from
the freezer so it thaws and I dislike what the microwave does to meat when
you try to thaw it that way.

Maybe I am just spoiled or something. My step grandpa refused to eat any
leftovers ever. My dad generally wouldn't eat them. Not that we ever had
leftovers in our house except for occasional turkey and meatloaf. We
generally only had meatloaf prior to a road trip and we'd have the leftovers
cold the following day. All these years I assumed my mom made one meatloaf
and we had the leftovers from that. But when I make a meatloaf at home,
there are never any leftovers. I just recently learned that she made two of
them and just stuck the 2nd one straight into the fridge for the next day.

One story that does stand out in my mind was the "spaghetti red". This is
what my family calls macaroni, beef and tomatoes. My grandma came to take
care of us while my mom was in the hospital. She had 8 kids so was used to
cooking huge amounts. She made a pot of this and we had it for breakfast,
lunch and dinner the entire time my mom was gone. She (unlike the other
grandma) didn't believe in wasting food. I got sooo sick of eating that I
couldn't touch the stuff again for years.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:51:09 -0500, "Evelyn"

Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
supposed to par boil it.

My Mum used to boil it once in water for an hour or so, then for
several hours in milk with lots of onions and black pepper. Used to be
one of my total favourite foods - I can't find anywhere to buy it from
any more, I even tried to get it last time I had a 1/4 cow from a
butcher who does his own killing, but it was all spoken for by the
restaurant trade!

I'll be having some menudo in a little while, followed by a couple of
tamales. All courtesy of my daughter's MIL. A bottle of Negra Modelo.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: : In article ,
: : "W. Baker" wrote:
:
: : Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
: : meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!
:
: : I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a
: : stew
: : to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
: : become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
: : onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
: : should have a decent stew.
:
: : Priscilla
:
: I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
: turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
: potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

: Come to think of it, I think I do have some white turnips in the back of
: the fridge. Yellow, too, but that's too good on its own to put in a
: stew. I can't imagine green pepper in a stew, but I put celery in pot
: roast, so it should go in stew just fine.

: I like to put green beans in my lamb and goat stew.

: PP

Green peppers are lovely in the stew. they werein the original Joy Of
Cooking recipe for Gaston beef stew that I developed my own, vegetablier,
tomatoier one from. Something I also use are a few chole cloves-say 6-8
That also came from the original recipe.

I put cloves in my Brunswick Stew, but not in my regular stew.

PP
Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Evelyn" wrote:

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

As to tripe, you might like this:

Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.

Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely
rich Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

[]
Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
supposed to par boil it.

I suppose you could do that. People soak game foods, including lamb and
trout, in buttermilk to get rid of the 'gaminess'. I like to taste what
makes one food different from another. Kidney, like shark meat, should be
parboiled to remove the urine. Cleaning thoroughly isn't the same. Tripe
should be cleaned. I rub between my hands in cold water. Chitlins should
be
VERY WELL cleaned (don't forget to turn them inside out!), but I never
parboil them. YMMV

I have never eaten chitlins, and probably will never prepare them either,
but tripe is interesting in pepper pot soup, and I thought I could perhaps
try for that flavor. I was told by an Italian lady that you throw away the
first cooking water in order to get rid of the strong gaminess when cooking
tripe. I haven't tried it, preferring to wait till someone who knew
exactly could advise me on it.

I've had tripe in Chinese dishes (usually one of the "Eight Delights" or
some such), and it's quite good, but then I've met few Chinese foods I
didn't like- aside from pastries. Too many of the sweet Chinese
pastries are too heavy for me. I had a sweet bean pastry that was deep
fried once, and it was total heaven, but entirely too much for me to
finish.

PP
Old 03-01-2009, 01:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Nicky" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Evelyn" wrote in message

You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Pssst... don't tell 'em...

They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

Do you use your freezer for anything other than storing ice cream and
making ice cubes?

Old 03-01-2009, 01:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are
not doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the
flavors meld together better.

Vacuum sealer works great. Also good for cheeses in the 'fridge.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

When I nuke stuff to thaw it, I use 10% to 20% power. To re-heat stuff from
the 'fridge, I use 20% to 30%.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
[...]

I have a lot of sneaky ways to make things differently the next day.

For instance I will roast a chicken in the oven one day. Then after dinner
I will take the meat off all the bones and put it away. Save the gravy
too.

Next day, peel a bunch of really nice fresh root vegetables and cook them in
the gravy with a little water added. Usually carrots, celery, potato,
small whole onions, and a parsnip if I have one on hand, and toss in a
handful of frozen peas for color. Then when the vegetables are all
cooked, I will add the chicken meat cut into nice bite sized chunks.
Thicken the gravy and you have a nice chicken stew that doesn't even vaguely
resemble the roaster you had the night before.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are
not doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the
flavors meld together better.

Vacuum sealer works great. Also good for cheeses in the 'fridge.

Since you cook soups long till everything is tender, they improve when
frozen. But if they contain pasta bits, they do not. The pasta gets
soggy. Barley is fine however. Often I will make soups minus any pasta
bits altogether, because I will make noodles or other pasta fresh when I
thaw and serve them.

Another good freezer tip is with a meat roast. I will slice the leftover
meat up, and put it directly into the gravy. You have to be sure that it
is all immersed before you freeze it. It will thaw and serve up
beautifully.... though the gravy may separate at first, as you heat it, it
will reconstitute itself perfectly. Since the meat is immersed in the
gravy before you freeze it, it doesn't lose any flavor at all when frozen.

To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick from
the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then fine, but a
sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the cheesecloth or paper
towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it around the cheese, THEN
place it into a plastic bag. It will not get moldy. What is amazing is
that it absolutely does NOT flavor the cheese with vinegar! Don't know how
or why, but it works.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

When I nuke stuff to thaw it, I use 10% to 20% power. To re-heat stuff
from
the 'fridge, I use 20% to 30%.

Absolutely. It thaws so much more evenly when you do that.