Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:55:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I used to make nuggest with chunks of chicken, cheese crackers and some
>>other stuff I can't eat now. They don't seem much different. I didn't
>>chop
>>anything up. How would chopping get the coating to stick? I'm sure they
>>probably have a machine or something.
>>

> Chunks, dipped in a fluid of some kind, then rolled in a coating;
> double-dipped and coated if necessary.
>
> I'd use milk and low-carb bread crumbs; you could probably use almond
> milk and ground almonds, or similar.

I'm allergic to dairy, eggs and almonds.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:47:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:55:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I used to make nuggest with chunks of chicken, cheese crackers and some
>>>other stuff I can't eat now. They don't seem much different. I didn't
>>>chop
>>>anything up. How would chopping get the coating to stick? I'm sure they
>>>probably have a machine or something.
>>>

>> Chunks, dipped in a fluid of some kind, then rolled in a coating;
>> double-dipped and coated if necessary.
>>
>> I'd use milk and low-carb bread crumbs; you could probably use almond
>> milk and ground almonds, or similar.

>I'm allergic to dairy, eggs and almonds.

Diet coke and ground rice, then.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> Have you checked for problems with your freezer, such as a bad
>> temperature, or a bad smell that gets absorbed by any food stored
>> there?

> There's nothing wrong with the freezer. I just hate eating frozen
> leftovers. There were periods of time when money was really tight and I
> had no choice but to do it. I think perhaps how I was raised had
> something to do with it. The only stuff that ever got put in the freezer
> was stuff we had to put there for that very reason. Donuts were one such
> thing. We used to buy cheap grab bags of leftover bakery items. There
> might be an occasional muffin or cookie but mostly they were donuts. Some
> of them always went into the freezer. I never liked donuts to begin with
> but stale donuts were worse and donuts that had been reheated in the oven,
> just vile!
>
> Stew was another thing that got frozen. I do like some stew. I didn't
> much like the stew that my mom made because the meat was so tough and
> chewy. She also doesn't use a lot of seasonings in her food. Whenever
> she made stew, I knew I'd have to eat it again one day.
>
> When I make soup, I might have some left for the next day. This is
> especially true if I make it when I am sick, which is often why I make it.
> And when I am sick, I don't want to cook which is why I make extra to
> begin with. But if any of that leftover soup goes in the freezer I can
> pretty much guarantee it won't ever get eaten. I'll see it and think,
> "yuck!".
>
> There was another period of time when I had to live off of a pot of
> spaghetti for a month. I had a ton of containers. I had to freeze it and
> take it to work because there was a microwave there and I didn't have one
> at home. I got so sick of spaghetti!
>
> Another time I was on a really strict (self induced) diet. I made special
> muffins and ate those pretty much every day for breakfast. Because I got
> several dozen at a time and ate only one each morning, they had to go into
> the freezer. I did have a microwave by then. And those were okay when
> reheated in the microwave. I should add that I don't much like muffins to
> begin with so the fact that they were not perfect when being reheated
> didn't really matter to me. I just gagged them down and got on with my
> day.
>
> I do have to freeze meat occasionally. I can't always use it all up and
> to save money I try to buy some of it at Costco which generally sells
> large portions. I have found some crock-pot recipes that use meat from
> the frozen state. And I can cook ground beef from the frozen state,
> although it is difficult to get out of some kinds of packaging.
>
> I wind up going to the store several times a week and to several different
> stores to get fresh food. I don't mind. At least it's an option for me
> here! Some places I lived it was not an option and I was forced at times
> to live off of canned foods. I didn't like that.

Eating fresh is always best, but there are ways of freezing food that
maintain the flavor best. For instance I never freeze soups with cooked
noodles in them. I make fresh noodles and add them to the previously
frozen soup. It makes them taste and have the feel of freshly made soup.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:47:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:55:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Chunks, dipped in a fluid of some kind, then rolled in a coating;
>>> double-dipped and coated if necessary.
>>>
>>> I'd use milk and low-carb bread crumbs; you could probably use almond
>>> milk and ground almonds, or similar.

>>I'm allergic to dairy, eggs and almonds.
>>

> Diet coke and ground rice, then.

That doesn't sound very tasty!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> to save money I try to buy some of it at Costco which generally sells
>> large portions. I have found some crock-pot recipes that use meat from
>> the frozen state. And I can cook ground beef from the frozen state,
>> although it is difficult to get out of some kinds of packaging.
>>
>> I wind up going to the store several times a week and to several
>> different stores to get fresh food. I don't mind. At least it's an
>> option for me here! Some places I lived it was not an option and I was
>> forced at times to live off of canned foods. I didn't like that.

> Eating fresh is always best, but there are ways of freezing food that
> maintain the flavor best. For instance I never freeze soups with cooked
> noodles in them. I make fresh noodles and add them to the previously
> frozen soup. It makes them taste and have the feel of freshly made soup.

Why not make fresh soup then? I don't find it hard or time consuming at all
to make a pot of soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message

[snip]

> I wind up going to the store several times a week and to several different
> stores to get fresh food. I don't mind. At least it's an option for me
> here! Some places I lived it was not an option and I was forced at times
> to live off of canned foods. I didn't like that.
> Julie Bove

Sounds like when I was on a very low sodium diet and had to go to several
stores each week to get a reasonable variety of foods that fit the diet.
Few
canned foods fit that diet.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

[snip]

>>> I can't have dairy and can't stand garlic. What I buy are not bits of
>>> chicken smooshed together. It's the Ian's brand. They are very
>>> wholesome. Not chemicals. Part of the reason I pay more for them.

>> That is good. What are in the list of ingredients? Also consider that
>> they have been made some considerable time ago. Essentially they are
>> "leftovers" in the sense that they are not prepared fresh.

> But I didn't prepare them. There's a difference. Just like I don't mind
> eating a sandwich that somebody else fixed but a sandwich I fixed is not
> at all appealing. I will look up the ingredients.
>
> Ingredients: Chicken nuggets (skinless, boneless, no added antibiotics,
> hormone free chicken breast with rib meat, canola oil, cornflake crumbs
> (milled corn, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, caramel color), water all
> natural potato flakes, sea salt. Coated and battered with cornflake
> crumbs, water, yellow corn flour, cornstarch, sea salt, granulated baking
> powder, granulated garlic. Cooked in canola oil. Natural color derived
> from oil.
>
> So I see these do have garlic but it must not be very much because I can't
> taste it and it doesn't cause me stomach pains.

It's usually not very much if it's that far down in the ingredients list.
Also,
there's the possibility that using dried garlic instead of fresh garlic
helps.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

[snip]

>>> I buy organic foods when I can. My chicken nuggets are made of organic
>>> ingredients. My health food store orders them for me. If I buy a case
>>> (which I sometimes do), I get a 10% discount.

>> I do understand your feelings. My daughter in law is a vegetarian, and
>> I have many vegan friends. Some can't eat wheat, eggs, dairy, whatever.
>> It is very hard to find foods that they can eat, so most of the time I
>> just don't invite them over for a meal. Dining out is hard too, as you
>> have pointed out.
>>
>> The anemia may mean you need B-12. There is a hereditary component in
>> that too, you know.

> That has been checked many times and I never seem deficient in it, however
> if I don't take extra B vitamins, I get signs of deficiency.

Could that mean that your body is inefficient at making use if at least one
of
the B vitamins, so you need more of at least that one?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>> large portions. I have found some crock-pot recipes that use meat from
>>> the frozen state. And I can cook ground beef from the frozen state,
>>> although it is difficult to get out of some kinds of packaging.
>>>
>>> I wind up going to the store several times a week and to several
>>> different stores to get fresh food. I don't mind. At least it's an
>>> option for me here! Some places I lived it was not an option and I was
>>> forced at times to live off of canned foods. I didn't like that.

>> Eating fresh is always best, but there are ways of freezing food that
>> maintain the flavor best. For instance I never freeze soups with cooked
>> noodles in them. I make fresh noodles and add them to the previously
>> frozen soup. It makes them taste and have the feel of freshly made
>> soup.

> Why not make fresh soup then? I don't find it hard or time consuming at

It takes too long. I almost always will have time to throw a couple of
macaroni or noodles in some water for a couple of minutes, but not the time
to boil the meat, cool it, take it off the bones and chop it to go back into
the soup, chop vegetables, and all that.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [snip]

>>> That is good. What are in the list of ingredients? Also consider
>>> that they have been made some considerable time ago. Essentially they
>>> are "leftovers" in the sense that they are not prepared fresh.

>> But I didn't prepare them. There's a difference. Just like I don't mind
>> eating a sandwich that somebody else fixed but a sandwich I fixed is not
>> at all appealing. I will look up the ingredients.
>>
>> Ingredients: Chicken nuggets (skinless, boneless, no added antibiotics,
>> hormone free chicken breast with rib meat, canola oil, cornflake crumbs
>> (milled corn, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, caramel color), water all
>> natural potato flakes, sea salt. Coated and battered with cornflake
>> crumbs, water, yellow corn flour, cornstarch, sea salt, granulated baking
>> powder, granulated garlic. Cooked in canola oil. Natural color derived
>> from oil.
>>
>> So I see these do have garlic but it must not be very much because I
>> can't taste it and it doesn't cause me stomach pains.

> It's usually not very much if it's that far down in the ingredients list.
> Also,
> there's the possibility that using dried garlic instead of fresh garlic
> helps.

Robert for me it is the opposite. Dried garlic and worse yet, ONION
powder, will react in my gut in ways I don't like at all. Fresh garlic and
fresh onion don't bother me at all.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [snip]

>>> I do understand your feelings. My daughter in law is a vegetarian, and
>>> I have many vegan friends. Some can't eat wheat, eggs, dairy,
>>> whatever. It is very hard to find foods that they can eat, so most of
>>> the time I just don't invite them over for a meal. Dining out is hard
>>> too, as you have pointed out.
>>>
>>> The anemia may mean you need B-12. There is a hereditary component in
>>> that too, you know.

>> That has been checked many times and I never seem deficient in it,
>> however if I don't take extra B vitamins, I get signs of deficiency.

> Could that mean that your body is inefficient at making use if at least
> one of
> the B vitamins, so you need more of at least that one?

Dunno.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>> Eating fresh is always best, but there are ways of freezing food that
>> maintain the flavor best. For instance I never freeze soups with cooked
>> noodles in them. I make fresh noodles and add them to the previously
>> frozen soup. It makes them taste and have the feel of freshly made
>> soup.

> Why not make fresh soup then? I don't find it hard or time consuming at
> all to make a pot of soup.

It's not all that time consuming to snip for relevance either. Just a
thought. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Eating fresh is always best, but there are ways of freezing food that
>>> maintain the flavor best. For instance I never freeze soups with
>>> cooked noodles in them. I make fresh noodles and add them to the
>>> previously frozen soup. It makes them taste and have the feel of
>>> freshly made soup.

>> Why not make fresh soup then? I don't find it hard or time consuming at
>> all to make a pot of soup.

> It takes too long. I almost always will have time to throw a couple of
> macaroni or noodles in some water for a couple of minutes, but not the
> time to boil the meat, cool it, take it off the bones and chop it to go
> back into the soup, chop vegetables, and all that.

Oh. I don't make mine that way. So it's quick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Robert for me it is the opposite. Dried garlic and worse yet, ONION
> powder, will react in my gut in ways I don't like at all. Fresh garlic
> and fresh onion don't bother me at all.

My husband loves fresh garlic so I use it in cooking for him. Angela used
to like it when she was little, but doesn't seem to like it now. I got a
huge bag of frozen potatoes from Costco that were roasted in garlic. She
hated them. At least they were cheap!

I generally don't put any garlic in the stuff I am going to eat, but if I
do, it is just a pinch of the powder.

Onions don't bother me at all. I generally use fresh, but also onion powder
in some recipes and also Just Onions. They are freeze dried but rehydrate
just like fresh. I also get the Just Tomatoes and Just Bell Peppers. And
occasionally some of the fruit products.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> Why not make fresh soup then? I don't find it hard or time consuming at
>>> all to make a pot of soup.

>> It takes too long. I almost always will have time to throw a couple of
>> macaroni or noodles in some water for a couple of minutes, but not the
>> time to boil the meat, cool it, take it off the bones and chop it to go
>> back into the soup, chop vegetables, and all that.

> Oh. I don't make mine that way. So it's quick.

It takes me a couple of hours at least. I make it all from scratch. No
canned broth or short cuts. But we think it is worth it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> Robert for me it is the opposite. Dried garlic and worse yet, ONION
>> powder, will react in my gut in ways I don't like at all. Fresh garlic
>> and fresh onion don't bother me at all.

> My husband loves fresh garlic so I use it in cooking for him. Angela used
> to like it when she was little, but doesn't seem to like it now. I got a
> huge bag of frozen potatoes from Costco that were roasted in garlic. She
> hated them. At least they were cheap!
>
> I generally don't put any garlic in the stuff I am going to eat, but if I
> do, it is just a pinch of the powder.
>
> Onions don't bother me at all. I generally use fresh, but also onion
> powder in some recipes and also Just Onions. They are freeze dried but
> rehydrate just like fresh. I also get the Just Tomatoes and Just Bell
> Peppers. And occasionally some of the fruit products.

Anything dried like that is very bad for my guts. Fresh never bothers me
at all.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:12:05 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> wrote:

>> These are frozen, but I didn't make them. There's a difference. I don't
>> like eating stuff I have made and put in the freezer.

>Then can you find another family in the same situation, and make frozen
>foods for each other?

Ingenious, Robert!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> It takes me a couple of hours at least. I make it all from scratch. No
> canned broth or short cuts. But we think it is worth it.

I only use canned broths or juice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:12:05 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> > wrote:
>
>>> These are frozen, but I didn't make them. There's a difference. I
>>> don't
>>> like eating stuff I have made and put in the freezer.

>>Then can you find another family in the same situation, and make frozen
>>foods for each other?
>>

> Ingenious, Robert!

I fail to see how! I certainly wouldn't eat frozen stuff that another
family made. They could have all sorts of cross contamination in their
kitchen! If I buy something that says allergen free and it's not at least I
have a leg to stand on if we get sick!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> It takes me a couple of hours at least. I make it all from scratch.
>> No canned broth or short cuts. But we think it is worth it.

> I only use canned broths or juice.

I probably wouldn't eat that sort of thing. I want to know what is really
in there, and that it is made only from fresh meat and vegetables I put in
there myself. The one instance where I will use canned is in making
manhattan style clam chowder. I try to find clam broth and canned clams
for that, but I seldom do that. Only reason is because it is a lot of work
to steam the clams and chop them myself. I will also use some canned broth
in making other dishes, where I just need a bit of extra flavor.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> It takes me a couple of hours at least. I make it all from scratch. No
>>> canned broth or short cuts. But we think it is worth it.

>> I only use canned broths or juice.

> I probably wouldn't eat that sort of thing. I want to know what is
> really in there, and that it is made only from fresh meat and vegetables I
> put in there myself. The one instance where I will use canned is in
> making manhattan style clam chowder. I try to find clam broth and canned
> clams for that, but I seldom do that. Only reason is because it is a lot
> of work to steam the clams and chop them myself. I will also use some
> canned broth in making other dishes, where I just need a bit of extra
> flavor.

I know what is in the broth. I only buy organic and allergen free.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I only use canned broths or juice.

>> I probably wouldn't eat that sort of thing. I want to know what is
>> really in there, and that it is made only from fresh meat and vegetables
>> I put in there myself. The one instance where I will use canned is in
>> making manhattan style clam chowder. I try to find clam broth and
>> canned clams for that, but I seldom do that. Only reason is because it
>> is a lot of work to steam the clams and chop them myself. I will also
>> use some canned broth in making other dishes, where I just need a bit of
>> extra flavor.

> I know what is in the broth. I only buy organic and allergen free.

I don't doubt it is decent edible stuff........ but when I make soup I start
with fresh live veggies in the produce department and from the meat
department. My soup is made from tomatoes and celery and carrots and
onions and chickens or ham, or beef etc. I buy the real stuff and start
with that.

When you buy those canned broths of any kind, you are paying extra for
someone else to cut up the meat or the veggies. I wash every vegetable
carefully of every dead bug and speck of dirt, and trim the fat off the
chicken, and I know how fresh it is, and what it looks like and smells like.
In the veggies, I don't use the parts that are bruised, or have dirt on
them, or seem not fresh. Paid employees mass processing food would never
fuss like I do.

When they process food in a plant, I doubt highly that they have the same
standards I do, no matter how many organic and non allergenic lables they
put on it. I know that when I buy cheap chickens say at Wal mart, they
don't smell as good or taste as good. Instead I buy the Bell and Evans
natural chickens and they are so fresh and are processed in a quality way.
They smell and taste completely different. There is no way that any
manufacturer would do that. They couldn't afford to sell it to the public,
or they would have to charge a fortune for it. Then too, it loses
something in being canned. It just isn't as nice or as fresh.

So when I make soup the way I do, all from scratch, all natural, it loses
very little flavor or quality in the freezer.

But for a short cut, it is certainly fair to use whatever stuff you can.
If I was in a hurry I would probably do the same thing, and use canned
broth. But fortunately I am retired and I can take all afternoon to make a
pot of soup to freeze for our lunches. I use short cuts too from time to
time. It depends on how much time I have to expend on cooking.

Another trick I use, is when I cook vegetables for dinner, I will save the
cooking water and freeze it. Then when I make soup I add that frozen chunk
to the pot instead of plain water. That way I get extra flavor into the
soup, and it is all from fresh vegetables. It really does make a
difference.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> I don't doubt it is decent edible stuff........ but when I make soup I
> start with fresh live veggies in the produce department and from the meat
> department. My soup is made from tomatoes and celery and carrots and
> onions and chickens or ham, or beef etc. I buy the real stuff and start
> with that.

I always buy fresh vegetables. And organic ones. I will sometimes use the
"Just _____" freeze dried stuff if I am in a real hurry. But if I use the
food processor, I can chop or slice everything quickly. I do sometimes use
vegetable juice. Last time I used Roma tomatoes simply because I had them.
When I make soup is generally for one of two reasons. Either somebody is
sick, or I have some vegetables I want to get rid of.

> When you buy those canned broths of any kind, you are paying extra for
> someone else to cut up the meat or the veggies. I wash every vegetable
> carefully of every dead bug and speck of dirt, and trim the fat off the
> chicken, and I know how fresh it is, and what it looks like and smells
> like. In the veggies, I don't use the parts that are bruised, or have dirt
> on them, or seem not fresh. Paid employees mass processing food would
> never fuss like I do.

True, but there is no way I'm going to boil down a dead animal to get broth.

> When they process food in a plant, I doubt highly that they have the same
> standards I do, no matter how many organic and non allergenic lables they
> put on it. I know that when I buy cheap chickens say at Wal mart, they
> don't smell as good or taste as good. Instead I buy the Bell and Evans
> natural chickens and they are so fresh and are processed in a quality way.
> They smell and taste completely different. There is no way that any
> manufacturer would do that. They couldn't afford to sell it to the
> public, or they would have to charge a fortune for it. Then too, it
> loses something in being canned. It just isn't as nice or as fresh.

I don't think we can get Bell and Evans chickens. I have heard of the brand
and supposedly they make some gluten free nuggets, but I think they contain
egg. My mom told me only to buy "grown in WA" chickens and to top it off, I
buy only organic, free range.

> So when I make soup the way I do, all from scratch, all natural, it loses
> very little flavor or quality in the freezer.
>
> But for a short cut, it is certainly fair to use whatever stuff you can.
> If I was in a hurry I would probably do the same thing, and use canned
> broth. But fortunately I am retired and I can take all afternoon to make
> a pot of soup to freeze for our lunches. I use short cuts too from time
> to time. It depends on how much time I have to expend on cooking.

Unfortunately this year with Angela taking dance classes 4 days of the week,
I have to have quick meals. That means using the crockpot twice a week to
have the food ready when we get home, and once or twice getting the meal
ready quickly before class. Of course I am home and could conceivably take
time to make a meal, but usually it isn't going to be soup since it needs to
be something that is also eaten quickly. We often dine out on the day we
have to go out of town to class. And on the remaining weekday we also
usually dine out since I have to use that day for scheduling all
appointments and we are usually not home.

> Another trick I use, is when I cook vegetables for dinner, I will save the
> cooking water and freeze it. Then when I make soup I add that frozen
> chunk to the pot instead of plain water. That way I get extra flavor
> into the soup, and it is all from fresh vegetables. It really does make
> a difference.

I don't usually put any water in my soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:53:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Then can you find another family in the same situation, and make frozen
>>>foods for each other?
>>>

>> Ingenious, Robert!

>I fail to see how! I certainly wouldn't eat frozen stuff that another
>family made. They could have all sorts of cross contamination in their
>kitchen! If I buy something that says allergen free and it's not at least I
>have a leg to stand on if we get sick!

Because he's thinking out of the box, Julie - which you are most
definitely not. You are apparently incapable of seeing anything other
than a negative in any suggestion at all; and you never seem to look
at anything and try to modify it to suit your own needs. That's one of
the classic signs of depression - which given your personal
circumstances isn't exactly surprising, but it may have reached the
point where you need help for it. You were a much more upbeat person
when I joined the group 4 or 5 years ago.

Nicky.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Susan" > wrote in message
> > Evelyn wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> I have looked but haven't found them recently. Maybe just haven't
> checked all the stores. I get canned clams with broth Doxee brand, in
> Sam's club. In my old neighborhood the Grand Union used to sell minced
> clams fresh, right at the seafood counter. I used to make a linguine
> with white clam sauce that was to die for.

Mmmm! Linguini Vongole Bianca! Haven't had it in a while. A couple of
pounds of fresh clams (Cherrystones or Little Necks), a couple of cans of
chopped clams, a bottle of clam juice. Don't forget the Pinot Grigio. Mama
mia! Mangia! Mangia!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Another trick I use, is when I cook vegetables for dinner, I will save
> the cooking water and freeze it. Then when I make soup I add that
> frozen chunk to the pot instead of plain water. That way I get extra
> flavor into the soup, and it is all from fresh vegetables. It really
> does make a difference.

Well, Jun doesn't freeze the vegetable cooking water, but, like you, she
taps, feels and examines every fruit or vegetable; feels, smells and
examines every piece of meat, fish or chicken. When she does buy cans, she
makes sure they're not dented.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

> week to have the food ready when we get home, and once or twice getting
> the meal ready quickly before class. Of course I am home and could
> conceivably take time to make a meal, but usually it isn't going to be
> soup since it needs to be something that is also eaten quickly. We often
> dine out on the day we have to go out of town to class. And on the
> remaining weekday we also usually dine out since I have to use that day
> for scheduling all appointments and we are usually not home.
>>
>> Another trick I use, is when I cook vegetables for dinner, I will save
>> the cooking water and freeze it. Then when I make soup I add that
>> frozen chunk to the pot instead of plain water. That way I get extra
>> flavor into the soup, and it is all from fresh vegetables. It really
>> does make a difference.

> I don't usually put any water in my soup.

Yes, but the broth manufacturer had to boil that "dead animal" in something,
and it is usually in water. As long as we (hubby and I) eat meat, I want
to be the one doing that step myself. But like I said, when you are busy
raising a child and running here and there, all is fair. Conveniences of
any kind are welcome when time is short.

I get the Bell and Evans chickens locally in what originally used to be a
farm stand, which grew into a gourmet grocery store specializing in top
quality produce and meats. The place is sort of like a mini-Whole Foods or
Trader Joes, and it is always crowded because they stock lots of all
natural, locally grown meats and poultry, locally grown fresh eggs, and
their produce is simply not to be believed. It is a cooks dream. They
also stock fabulous cheeses, deli, fish, and their bakery is out of this
world. It is a smallish store compared to some of the big grocery stores
we have here, and as a result it is always mobbed.

You can always tell a good store (or restaurant) by the number of older
folks shopping there. That's my husband's theory and I think he is right.
Anyway next time I go there I will look and see if Bell and Evans makes
nuggets and what is in them and will report back to you.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:53:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:12:05 -0600, "Robert Miles"

>>> Ingenious, Robert!

>>I fail to see how! I certainly wouldn't eat frozen stuff that another
>>family made. They could have all sorts of cross contamination in their
>>kitchen! If I buy something that says allergen free and it's not at least
>>have a leg to stand on if we get sick!
>>

> Because he's thinking out of the box, Julie - which you are most
> definitely not. You are apparently incapable of seeing anything other
> than a negative in any suggestion at all; and you never seem to look
> at anything and try to modify it to suit your own needs. That's one of
> the classic signs of depression - which given your personal
> circumstances isn't exactly surprising, but it may have reached the
> point where you need help for it. You were a much more upbeat person
> when I joined the group 4 or 5 years ago.
>
> Nicky.

Julie, he may be right. You do seem to take a more "defeatist" view of the
world in more recent times. Are you OK? Have you had your vitamin D
levels checked? You might need to supplement your vitamin D, as it is
strongly associated with depression. Life is hard enough, with diabetes it
is even harder. With diabetes and food allergies I imagine it has to be
really difficult at times. Please next time you get your blood test done,
tell the doc to check your vitamin D level. And if you have a few minutes,
watch this video. I watched it and it literally changed my life. I take
two 1000 mg. tablets of D-3 every day now. Been telling everyone! Now my
stepson is taking it because he gets what they call SAD, (which is seasonal
affective disorder) every winter. He too has noticed a big change.

http://www.uvadvantage.org/portals/0/pres/
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Susan" > wrote in message
>> > Evelyn wrote:
>> > [ . . . ]

>> I have looked but haven't found them recently. Maybe just haven't
>> checked all the stores. I get canned clams with broth Doxee brand, in
>> Sam's club. In my old neighborhood the Grand Union used to sell minced
>> clams fresh, right at the seafood counter. I used to make a linguine
>> with white clam sauce that was to die for.

> Mmmm! Linguini Vongole Bianca! Haven't had it in a while. A couple of
> pounds of fresh clams (Cherrystones or Little Necks), a couple of cans of
> chopped clams, a bottle of clam juice. Don't forget the Pinot Grigio. Mama
> mia! Mangia! Mangia!

Here's how I make mine (from memory)

Strain the chopped clams from their juice, and reserve them both separately.
If using fresh, use
Put on a large pot of salted water to boil for your pasta.

Put some olive oil in a pan, and rather a LOT of finely chopped garlic. I
use one entire head of garlic for this. I add some dry herbs (not a lot,
just a pinch or two) and saute them all together for a VERY short time.
You do not want to brown the garlic, just turn it white.

Now I add some lemon juice (about one lemon's worth) a small amount of
Marsala wine (an amount equal to the lemon juice) and the clam juice.
Simmer all together. While that is simmering, start your pasta. If it
appears to be too much liquid, reduce it down a bit.

When the pasta is almost done, add your clams into the pan to for only a
minute or so. Long cooking will turn them tough, so only do this when you
are ready to drain the pasta. Once your pasta is drained and put into a
big bowl, dump the "sauce" all over it and toss it together to coat.

Be generous with freshly ground black pepper and grated Romano cheese on the
pasta.

***************

This works equally well with shrimp or Calamari or combinations of seafood.
I use this same recipe for my shrimp scampi minus the clam juice. With
different seafoods you may need to adjust the cooking time depending on what
kind it is.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> Another trick I use, is when I cook vegetables for dinner, I will save
>> the cooking water and freeze it. Then when I make soup I add that
>> frozen chunk to the pot instead of plain water. That way I get extra
>> flavor into the soup, and it is all from fresh vegetables. It really
>> does make a difference.

> Well, Jun doesn't freeze the vegetable cooking water, but, like you, she
> taps, feels and examines every fruit or vegetable; feels, smells and
> examines every piece of meat, fish or chicken. When she does buy cans, she
> makes sure they're not dented.

I save the cooking water from potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips, green
beans, whatever I boil that has a flavor that would go well in soup. Not
every vegetable has a flavor that enhances the soup. I do not save the
cabbage-y family vegetable water. They tend to overwhelm.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

OOPS, minor correction below

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Here's how I make mine (from memory)
>
> Strain the chopped clams from their juice, and reserve them both
> separately. If using fresh, use a bit of any kind of broth if you don't
> have clam broth.
> Put on a large pot of salted water to boil for your pasta.
>
> Put some olive oil in a pan, and rather a LOT of finely chopped garlic. I
> use one entire head of garlic for this. I add some dry herbs (not a lot,
> just a pinch or two) and saute them all together for a VERY short time.
> You do not want to brown the garlic, just turn it white.
>
> Now I add some lemon juice (about one lemon's worth) a small amount of
> Marsala wine (an amount equal to the lemon juice) and the clam juice or
> broth. Simmer all together. While that is simmering, start your pasta.
> If it appears to be too much liquid, reduce it down a bit.
>
> When the pasta is almost done, add your clams into the pan to for only a
> minute or so. Long cooking will turn them tough, so only do this when
> you are ready to drain the pasta. Once your pasta is drained and put
> into a big bowl, dump the "sauce" all over it and toss it together to
> coat.
>
> Be generous with freshly ground black pepper and grated Romano cheese on
> the pasta.
>
> ***************
>
> This works equally well with shrimp or Calamari or combinations of
> seafood. I use this same recipe for my shrimp scampi minus the clam juice.
> With different seafoods you may need to adjust the cooking time depending
> on what kind it is.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:53:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:12:05 -0600, "Robert Miles"

>>> Ingenious, Robert!

>>I fail to see how! I certainly wouldn't eat frozen stuff that another
>>family made. They could have all sorts of cross contamination in their
>>kitchen! If I buy something that says allergen free and it's not at least
>>have a leg to stand on if we get sick!
>>

> Because he's thinking out of the box, Julie - which you are most
> definitely not. You are apparently incapable of seeing anything other
> than a negative in any suggestion at all; and you never seem to look
> at anything and try to modify it to suit your own needs. That's one of
> the classic signs of depression - which given your personal
> circumstances isn't exactly surprising, but it may have reached the
> point where you need help for it. You were a much more upbeat person
> when I joined the group 4 or 5 years ago.

I didn't know of the food allergies 4 or 5 years ago, nor did I have
gastroparesis. Makes it really difficult to eat. I don't think I have
depression.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Julie, he may be right. You do seem to take a more "defeatist" view of
> the world in more recent times. Are you OK? Have you had your vitamin D
> levels checked? You might need to supplement your vitamin D, as it is
> strongly associated with depression. Life is hard enough, with diabetes
> it is even harder. With diabetes and food allergies I imagine it has to
> be really difficult at times. Please next time you get your blood test
> done, tell the doc to check your vitamin D level. And if you have a few
> minutes, watch this video. I watched it and it literally changed my
> life. I take two 1000 mg. tablets of D-3 every day now. Been telling
> everyone! Now my stepson is taking it because he gets what they call
> SAD, (which is seasonal affective disorder) every winter. He too has
> noticed a big change.
>
> http://www.uvadvantage.org/portals/0/pres/

My D level is fine and I do supplement. I have posted repeatedly that I
take a handful of supplements each morning and night.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Yes, but the broth manufacturer had to boil that "dead animal" in
> something, and it is usually in water. As long as we (hubby and I) eat
> meat, I want to be the one doing that step myself. But like I said,
> when you are busy raising a child and running here and there, all is fair.
> Conveniences of any kind are welcome when time is short.

I know, but *I* didn't have to do it. It has nothing to do with being
convenient. I just refuse to do it.

> I get the Bell and Evans chickens locally in what originally used to be a
> farm stand, which grew into a gourmet grocery store specializing in top
> quality produce and meats. The place is sort of like a mini-Whole Foods
> or Trader Joes, and it is always crowded because they stock lots of all
> natural, locally grown meats and poultry, locally grown fresh eggs, and
> their produce is simply not to be believed. It is a cooks dream. They
> also stock fabulous cheeses, deli, fish, and their bakery is out of this
> world. It is a smallish store compared to some of the big grocery stores
> we have here, and as a result it is always mobbed.
>
> You can always tell a good store (or restaurant) by the number of older
> folks shopping there. That's my husband's theory and I think he is
> right. Anyway next time I go there I will look and see if Bell and Evans
> makes nuggets and what is in them and will report back to you.

Even if they do, we don't get them here. It must be a local brand.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:53:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:12:05 -0600, "Robert Miles"

>>> Ingenious, Robert!

>> I fail to see how! I certainly wouldn't eat frozen stuff that another
>> family made. They could have all sorts of cross contamination in their
>> kitchen! If I buy something that says allergen free and it's not at least I
>> have a leg to stand on if we get sick!
>>

> Because he's thinking out of the box, Julie - which you are most
> definitely not. You are apparently incapable of seeing anything other
> than a negative in any suggestion at all; and you never seem to look
> at anything and try to modify it to suit your own needs. That's one of
> the classic signs of depression - which given your personal
> circumstances isn't exactly surprising, but it may have reached the
> point where you need help for it. You were a much more upbeat person
> when I joined the group 4 or 5 years ago.

Nicky,

On behalf of many of us, thanks for saying what we have been thinking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Susan" > wrote in message
>>> Evelyn wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]

>> I have looked but haven't found them recently. Maybe just haven't
>> checked all the stores. I get canned clams with broth Doxee brand, in
>> Sam's club. In my old neighborhood the Grand Union used to sell minced
>> clams fresh, right at the seafood counter. I used to make a linguine
>> with white clam sauce that was to die for.

> Mmmm! Linguini Vongole Bianca! Haven't had it in a while. A couple of
> pounds of fresh clams (Cherrystones or Little Necks), a couple of cans of
> chopped clams, a bottle of clam juice. Don't forget the Pinot Grigio. Mama
> mia! Mangia! Mangia!

....and the Dreamfields linguini?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> [...]

>> on the remaining weekday we also usually dine out since I have to use
>> that day for scheduling all appointments and we are usually not home.
>>>
>>> Another trick I use, is when I cook vegetables for dinner, I will
>>> save the cooking water and freeze it. Then when I make soup I add
>>> that frozen chunk to the pot instead of plain water. That way I get
>>> extra flavor into the soup, and it is all from fresh vegetables. It
>>> really does make a difference.

>> I don't usually put any water in my soup.

> Yes, but the broth manufacturer had to boil that "dead animal" in
> something, and it is usually in water. As long as we (hubby and I)
> eat meat, I want to be the one doing that step myself. But like I
> said, when you are busy raising a child and running here and there, all
> is fair. Conveniences of any kind are welcome when time is short.

I was a single mom raising 3 children, working full-time and commuting
over an hour each way as well as going to college part-time for my
bachelors degree. I cooked mostly on the weekends. I used a pressure
cooker for soups and stews, slow-cooker for other dishes.

I bought whole frying chickens on sale and cut them up myself, saving
the necks and backs for soup. I bought big chuck roasts when they were
on sale and cut them into stewing meat, fillet steaks and ground my own
beef. The suet got stuffed into pine cones by the chiuldren for the
birds in winter. If the chuck roast had bones, they were used for the
broth base of hearty bean and barley soups.

My children never ate spaghetti sauce from a jar or soup from a can. I
baked cookies as Christmas presents for their teachers (I didn't have
any extra money for store-purchased gifts) while I was studying for my
final exams.

I also changed the oil in my own car, mowed my own lawn, grew my own
vegetables and raised three pretty great children.

I'm not suggesting every parent should be like I was, but someone
without a job who can't manage to fix nutritious meals for a child with
food problems gets no sympathy from me. Sorry.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> [...]

> and cut them into stewing meat, fillet steaks and ground my own beef. The
> suet got stuffed into pine cones by the chiuldren for the birds in winter.
> If the chuck roast had bones, they were used for the broth base of hearty
> bean and barley soups.
>
> My children never ate spaghetti sauce from a jar or soup from a can. I
> baked cookies as Christmas presents for their teachers (I didn't have any
> extra money for store-purchased gifts) while I was studying for my final
> exams.
>
> I also changed the oil in my own car, mowed my own lawn, grew my own
> vegetables and raised three pretty great children.
>
> I'm not suggesting every parent should be like I was, but someone without
> a job who can't manage to fix nutritious meals for a child with food
> problems gets no sympathy from me. Sorry.

I agree with you. I did that too when I was working. But others may
differ in opinion, of course.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]

> and cut them into stewing meat, fillet steaks and ground my own beef. The
> suet got stuffed into pine cones by the chiuldren for the birds in winter.
> If the chuck roast had bones, they were used for the broth base of hearty
> bean and barley soups.
>
> My children never ate spaghetti sauce from a jar or soup from a can. I
> baked cookies as Christmas presents for their teachers (I didn't have any
> extra money for store-purchased gifts) while I was studying for my final
> exams.
>
> I also changed the oil in my own car, mowed my own lawn, grew my own
> vegetables and raised three pretty great children.
>
> I'm not suggesting every parent should be like I was, but someone without
> a job who can't manage to fix nutritious meals for a child with food
> problems gets no sympathy from me. Sorry.

WTF? You are saying I can't fix nutritious meals for my child? And I've
also been diagnosed with depression and a blood clot on these newsgroups?
Jeez!

*poof*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn wrote:

>>> Yes, but the broth manufacturer had to boil that "dead animal" in
>>> something, and it is usually in water. As long as we (hubby and I)
>>> eat meat, I want to be the one doing that step myself. But like I
>>> said, when you are busy raising a child and running here and there, all
>>> is fair. Conveniences of any kind are welcome when time is short.

>> I was a single mom raising 3 children, working full-time and commuting
>> over an hour each way as well as going to college part-time for my
>> bachelors degree. I cooked mostly on the weekends. I used a pressure
>> cooker for soups and stews, slow-cooker for other dishes.
>>
>> I bought whole frying chickens on sale and cut them up myself, saving the
>> necks and backs for soup. I bought big chuck roasts when they were on
>> sale and cut them into stewing meat, fillet steaks and ground my own
>> beef. The suet got stuffed into pine cones by the chiuldren for the birds
>> in winter. If the chuck roast had bones, they were used for the broth
>> base of hearty bean and barley soups.
>>
>> My children never ate spaghetti sauce from a jar or soup from a can. I
>> baked cookies as Christmas presents for their teachers (I didn't have any
>> extra money for store-purchased gifts) while I was studying for my final
>> exams.
>>
>> I also changed the oil in my own car, mowed my own lawn, grew my own
>> vegetables and raised three pretty great children.
>>
>> I'm not suggesting every parent should be like I was, but someone without
>> a job who can't manage to fix nutritious meals for a child with food
>> problems gets no sympathy from me. Sorry.

> WTF? You are saying I can't fix nutritious meals for my child? And I've
> also been diagnosed with depression and a blood clot on these newsgroups?
> Jeez!
>
> *poof*

Julie, please don't get angry, but consider what I am going to say, as it is
really and truly meant in the spirit of kindness for you.

Every time someone mentions any food, you have a negative comment. You use
the word "disgusting" in relation to a great many foods we talk about here
extremely often. That is often quite a turnoff to read, especially when we
are talking about food.

People have commented that you seemed depressed. This was never meant in a
mean way at all. It is meant in the way of concern for you. You are the
perceiver of ill will, but there is no ill will put forth from others, you
are imbueing it with ill will. So getting angry at that, is an
inappropriate response.

You seem to feel it is necessary that you tell everyone you can't eat this,
and that is "disgusting," and how Angela won't eat it either, no matter what
foods we talk about. Any suggestion people make to you in the spirit of
kindness and wishing to help, you rebuff. You never say, "thanks for the
suggestion, perhaps one day I will consider it" but will go into long
tirades about how awful, how distasteful, how disgusting, this or that
food...... or even simple storage methods or even cooking methods are. We
here, are then placed in the position of being constantly rebuffed by you!

You refer to making a nice soup with healthy fresh ingredients as "touching
a dead animal" when we are a newsgroup made up of diabetics, who really MUST
eat more protein than carbohydrates. Does this not seem ever so slightly
inconsiderate to you?

I say this in all kindness, that you might want to think about just not
saying anything if you can't say something positive. My mom used to tell me
that, and it was good advice. I have to do that all the time on other
newsgroups I go to, to keep the peace. I listen to political opinions I
think are sheer idiocy, and assholes who use filthy language, and people who
just have a mean streak. That is the nature of newsgroups.

I know you have a lot of challenges in life, and you have suffered illness
from your diabetes, and many peoples hearts, including mine, go out to you
for it. People offer suggestions to you all the time in the spirit of
kindness, wanting to help you. But you are just so negative about anything
anyone has to say. Can it be we are all idiots? Or can it be that you
have a negative reaction to anyones advice? Or is it both?

I really don't know what it is. I know you are a nice person, and I know
you like to write. I always read your posts, but they are definitely
taking a more negative trend lately. Mentioning it to you is not meant in
anything but kindness. I genuinely hope you will think about what I say
here, and consider that there are some issues that you may need to address.
You can indeed be depressed and not know it. You can indeed be negative
sounding, when you don't mean to be. I have been there and done that
myself. I tell you this as a friend who wishes you only good in your life.

Hugs......