Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> I love my vacuum sealer. When I don't use a whole onion I store it in a
> vacuum sealed bag...no more onion smell in the fridge. My freezer meat
> stays nice longer too

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

Another nice thing is that you can re-seal the stuff in the same bag!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message.
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:

[]
> > Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
> > like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
> > preservatives and the like...

> No. I don't like the ones I've made and after cutting up chicken, I
> don't want to eat it. These do not contain any preservatives, I don't
> think...

It's a lot less 'yucky' to pay someone else to slaughter, cut up, and
package the poultry, meat and fish.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I know what you mean...Once the kids left home food laid around longer then
when they were at home. Took me forever to learn to cook for just two..allot
of food was put in the freezer for later...LOL. Eggs are one thing that sit
around for a while. Sometime I will have eggs all the time then other times
I feel like I can't look at another egg Hubby doesn't eat much for
breakfast except maybe cereal or oatmeal once and a while. When I buy those
salad mixes we have to eat them right away because they just don't last long
at all...So the head lettuce is what I use for later. I only like to shop
once every two or three weeks..I usually do have to go back for produce.
"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>I wrap my half head of lettuce in a wet paper towel and store it in a
>>baggie in the fridge..makes the lettuce really crisp Never heard that
>>about cheese..I'll have to try it
>> Jacquie

> Hi Jacquie,
>
> That's another great trick and it works really well. The lettuce won't
> get brown and slimy if you keep it around long if you wrap it in a paper
> towel before bagging it. We are only two people in the house, and little
> tricks that prevent certain foods from going bad too quickly are
> especially needed around here.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

>>> Since you cook soups long till everything is tender, they improve when
>>> frozen. But if they contain pasta bits, they do not. The pasta gets
>>> soggy. Barley is fine however. Often I will make soups minus any
>>> pasta bits altogether, because I will make noodles or other pasta fresh
>>> when I thaw and serve them.
>>>
>>> Another good freezer tip is with a meat roast. I will slice the
>>> leftover meat up, and put it directly into the gravy. You have to be
>>> sure that it is all immersed before you freeze it. It will thaw and
>>> serve up beautifully.... though the gravy may separate at first, as you
>>> heat it, it will reconstitute itself perfectly. Since the meat is
>>> immersed in the gravy before you freeze it, it doesn't lose any flavor
>>> at all when frozen.
>>>
>>> To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick
>>> from the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then
>>> fine, but a sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the
>>> cheesecloth or paper towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it
>>> around the cheese, THEN place it into a plastic bag. It will not get
>>> moldy. What is amazing is that it absolutely does NOT flavor the
>>> cheese with vinegar! Don't know how or why, but it works.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Evelyn
>>>
>>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>>> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have Seal a Meal. I tried the Reynolds sealer and I just don't have the
patience to wait until I can find the right spot to start sealing.. I will
use the Reynolds one on bread stuff that I don't want crushed.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>> I love my vacuum sealer. When I don't use a whole onion I store it in a
>> vacuum sealed bag...no more onion smell in the fridge. My freezer meat
>> stays nice longer too

> Another nice thing is that you can re-seal the stuff in the same bag!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : "Nicky" > wrote in message
> : > "Evelyn" > : > wrote:
> : >> [ . . . ]
> Recently, I have been doing stuffed peppers. We get three generous meals
> for the two of us for a pound of ground turkey or beef. Next time I am
> going to try a Hungarian version, using sweet and hot paprika. I found
> htat the Arnold Bakery Carb Counting multigrain bread(6 grams net carbs)
> makes good bread crumbs for these chopped meat dishes. I use 2-3 slices
> with the pound of meat and thqt goes for 6 portions, so at most 1 1/2
> grams carb added.

Can you get Anaheim or Poblano chiles? They're great for stuffing!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> If it were me, I'd experiment some more. Instead of egg, dip them in
>>> buttermilk, or possibly make a batter of something you aren't allergic
>>> to. Use a bit of romano grated cheese and garlic powder as a breading.
>>> Keep on trying. Those prepared things have nothing but chemicals in
>>> them, and the "chicken" is really just bits of chicken meat mooshed
>>> together.
>>>
>>> Cooking is a constant process of experimentation.

>> I can't have dairy and can't stand garlic. What I buy are not bits of
>> chicken smooshed together. It's the Ian's brand. They are very
>> wholesome. Not chemicals. Part of the reason I pay more for them.

> That is good. What are in the list of ingredients? Also consider that
> they have been made some considerable time ago. Essentially they are
> "leftovers" in the sense that they are not prepared fresh.

But I didn't prepare them. There's a difference. Just like I don't mind
eating a sandwich that somebody else fixed but a sandwich I fixed is not at
all appealing. I will look up the ingredients.

Ingredients: Chicken nuggets (skinless, boneless, no added antibiotics,
hormone free chicken breast with rib meat, canola oil, cornflake crumbs
(milled corn, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, caramel color), water all
natural potato flakes, sea salt. Coated and battered with cornflake crumbs,
water, yellow corn flour, cornstarch, sea salt, granulated baking powder,
granulated garlic. Cooked in canola oil. Natural color derived from oil.

So I see these do have garlic but it must not be very much because I can't
taste it and it doesn't cause me stomach pains.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:09:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
>>> like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
>>> preservatives and the like...

>> No. I don't like the ones I've made and after cutting up chicken, I
>> don't want to eat it. These do not contain any preservatives, I don't
>> think...

> I like eating food others have prepared too, but unfortunately I am not in
> a financial position to entertain such whims for very long, and I realize
> that if I am going to eat right I will have to prepare it myself, even if
> it is something where I get my hands wet or sticky.

It has nothing to do with getting hands sticky and everything to do with
dealing with a dead animal. If I could, I would be a vegan. Alas, I keep
getting anemia when I don't eat meat at least sometimes. I can not stand
having to cut up meat or futz with it. It just sickens me. I prefer to be
able to just throw it in a crockpot and then forget about it for several
hours.

I buy organic foods when I can. My chicken nuggets are made of organic
ingredients. My health food store orders them for me. If I buy a case
(which I sometimes do), I get a 10% discount.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message.
>> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> []
>> > Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
>> > like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
>> > preservatives and the like...

>> No. I don't like the ones I've made and after cutting up chicken, I
>> don't want to eat it. These do not contain any preservatives, I don't
>> think...

> It's a lot less 'yucky' to pay someone else to slaughter, cut up, and
> package the poultry, meat and fish.

Yes indeed!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I can't have dairy and can't stand garlic. What I buy are not bits of
>>> chicken smooshed together. It's the Ian's brand. They are very
>>> wholesome. Not chemicals. Part of the reason I pay more for them.

>> That is good. What are in the list of ingredients? Also consider that
>> they have been made some considerable time ago. Essentially they are
>> "leftovers" in the sense that they are not prepared fresh.

Hi Julie,

> But I didn't prepare them. There's a difference. Just like I don't mind
> eating a sandwich that somebody else fixed but a sandwich I fixed is not
> at all appealing.

I know the feeling, but it can get very expensive to do that.
I too love almost anything someone else prepared, although I am a good cook
myself.

>I will look up the ingredients.
>
> Ingredients: Chicken nuggets (skinless, boneless, no added antibiotics,
> hormone free chicken breast with rib meat, canola oil, cornflake crumbs
> (milled corn, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, caramel color), water all
> natural potato flakes, sea salt. Coated and battered with cornflake
> crumbs, water, yellow corn flour, cornstarch, sea salt, granulated baking
> powder, granulated garlic. Cooked in canola oil. Natural color derived
> from oil.
>
> So I see these do have garlic but it must not be very much because I can't
> taste it and it doesn't cause me stomach pains.

They do seem not to be anything too bad. You might be able to approximate
something yourself, just from reading their ingredients. Six bucks a box
does seem expensive.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> No. I don't like the ones I've made and after cutting up chicken, I
>>> don't want to eat it. These do not contain any preservatives, I don't
>>> think...

>> I like eating food others have prepared too, but unfortunately I am not
>> in a financial position to entertain such whims for very long, and I
>> realize that if I am going to eat right I will have to prepare it myself,
>> even if it is something where I get my hands wet or sticky.

> It has nothing to do with getting hands sticky and everything to do with
> dealing with a dead animal. If I could, I would be a vegan. Alas, I keep
> getting anemia when I don't eat meat at least sometimes. I can not stand
> having to cut up meat or futz with it. It just sickens me. I prefer to
> be able to just throw it in a crockpot and then forget about it for
> several hours.
>
> I buy organic foods when I can. My chicken nuggets are made of organic
> ingredients. My health food store orders them for me. If I buy a case
> (which I sometimes do), I get a 10% discount.

I do understand your feelings. My daughter in law is a vegetarian, and I
have many vegan friends. Some can't eat wheat, eggs, dairy, whatever.
It is very hard to find foods that they can eat, so most of the time I just
don't invite them over for a meal. Dining out is hard too, as you have
pointed out.

The anemia may mean you need B-12. There is a hereditary component in that
too, you know.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> That is good. What are in the list of ingredients? Also consider
>>> that they have been made some considerable time ago. Essentially they
>>> are "leftovers" in the sense that they are not prepared fresh.

> Hi Julie,
>
>> But I didn't prepare them. There's a difference. Just like I don't mind
>> eating a sandwich that somebody else fixed but a sandwich I fixed is not
>> at all appealing.

> I know the feeling, but it can get very expensive to do that.
> I too love almost anything someone else prepared, although I am a good
> cook myself.
>

>>I will look up the ingredients.
>>
>> Ingredients: Chicken nuggets (skinless, boneless, no added antibiotics,
>> hormone free chicken breast with rib meat, canola oil, cornflake crumbs
>> (milled corn, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, caramel color), water all
>> natural potato flakes, sea salt. Coated and battered with cornflake
>> crumbs, water, yellow corn flour, cornstarch, sea salt, granulated baking
>> powder, granulated garlic. Cooked in canola oil. Natural color derived
>> from oil.
>>
>> So I see these do have garlic but it must not be very much because I
>> can't taste it and it doesn't cause me stomach pains.

> They do seem not to be anything too bad. You might be able to
> approximate something yourself, just from reading their ingredients. Six
> bucks a box does seem expensive.

I have tried but I can't get the coating to stick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I like eating food others have prepared too, but unfortunately I am not
>>> in a financial position to entertain such whims for very long, and I
>>> realize that if I am going to eat right I will have to prepare it
>>> myself, even if it is something where I get my hands wet or sticky.

>> It has nothing to do with getting hands sticky and everything to do with
>> dealing with a dead animal. If I could, I would be a vegan. Alas, I
>> keep getting anemia when I don't eat meat at least sometimes. I can not
>> stand having to cut up meat or futz with it. It just sickens me. I
>> prefer to be able to just throw it in a crockpot and then forget about it
>> for several hours.
>>
>> I buy organic foods when I can. My chicken nuggets are made of organic
>> ingredients. My health food store orders them for me. If I buy a case
>> (which I sometimes do), I get a 10% discount.

> I do understand your feelings. My daughter in law is a vegetarian, and I
> have many vegan friends. Some can't eat wheat, eggs, dairy, whatever. It
> is very hard to find foods that they can eat, so most of the time I just
> don't invite them over for a meal. Dining out is hard too, as you have
> pointed out.
>
> The anemia may mean you need B-12. There is a hereditary component in
> that too, you know.

That has been checked many times and I never seem deficient in it, however
if I don't take extra B vitamins, I get signs of deficiency.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> I do understand your feelings. My daughter in law is a vegetarian, and I
> have many vegan friends. Some can't eat wheat, eggs, dairy, whatever. It
> is very hard to find foods that they can eat, so most of the time I just
> don't invite them over for a meal. Dining out is hard too, as you have
> pointed out.

A very sensible approach Evelyn. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> In places where they prepare foods in large quantities, you never know
> what the people they hire for minimum wage are doing when the boss isn't
> looking. At least at home you know exactly what went into it and how it
> was done.

When I was 15 (1950), I worked at a food stand in the Bronx Zoo (53¢/hr).
If a hot dog fell on the ground, we wiped it off and kept it on one end of
the grill for obnoxious customers. They also got dead flies on their
hamburgers. We also would spit on their food and enjoyed watching them eat
stuff like that.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I am a buddhist as some of you may know, and I read somewhere that when
> you are cooking you should imagine the beautiful smells going out to
> nurture invisible beings who are scent eaters. You should ask them to
> be around you and to offer them the scents, with kindness in your heart.
> Not important whether such beings are real or not, it's just another nice
> thought, that even the scent of your food preparation should nurture
> someone somewhere, to cultivate the mind of helping other living beings.

I'm a follower of the Teachings of the Buddha, too. Perhaps we can go
offline to have some Dhamma discussions. My above email is correct.

With Metta Caruna,

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> When I was 15 (1950), I worked at a food stand in the Bronx Zoo (53¢/hr).
> If a hot dog fell on the ground, we wiped it off and kept it on one end of
> the grill for obnoxious customers. They also got dead flies on their
> hamburgers. We also would spit on their food and enjoyed watching them eat
> stuff like that.

I worked in food service for a lot of years, and in a burger joint when I
was a teenager. *Never* would I consider tainting food for even the most
obnoxious customer. I think it says more about the person doing that, then
it does about the rude customer, and shame on you Nick. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>
>> When I was 15 (1950), I worked at a food stand in the Bronx Zoo (53¢/hr).
>> If a hot dog fell on the ground, we wiped it off and kept it on one end
>> of
>> the grill for obnoxious customers. They also got dead flies on their
>> hamburgers. We also would spit on their food and enjoyed watching them
>> eat
>> stuff like that.

> I worked in food service for a lot of years, and in a burger joint when I
> was a teenager. *Never* would I consider tainting food for even the most
> obnoxious customer. I think it says more about the person doing that, then
> it does about the rude customer, and shame on you Nick. :-)

I've rarely worked around food but would never do anything like that even if
the person was an ass. I did work occasionally in the deli at K Mart, but
aside from scooping up popcorn or ice cream, the food was all prepackaged.

I also had to help cook the employee breakfasts every once in a while. At
one point we had a boss who was a real ass. He did some terrible things to
quite a few people and said terrible things about people being their backs.
One thing I learned with him was that with food I could get on his good
side. I used to bake cookies or make candy for him and he was always nice
to me. Once when I served the breakfast, I had little toothpick flags to
stick in the rolled pancakes that we made. Everyone got one flag per
pancake, but I made sure to give him extra ones. He was very amused by this
and kept talking about it all day.

Even though I know he wasn't a nice person, he was always very nice to me,
giving me a promotion (that I asked for), even though his "pet" had also
asked for it. I thought for sure she would get it!

I try to be nice to everyone. It doesn't always work. I do have a mouth on
me. If anything, they're going to get it with words. I'd rather be
straight forward and tell it like I see it instead of being sneaky.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > When I was 15 (1950), I worked at a food stand in the Bronx Zoo
> > (53¢/hr). If a hot dog fell on the ground, we wiped it off and kept it
> > on one end of the grill for obnoxious customers. They also got dead
> > flies on their hamburgers. We also would spit on their food and enjoyed
> > watching them eat stuff like that.

> I worked in food service for a lot of years, and in a burger joint when I
> was a teenager. *Never* would I consider tainting food for even the most
> obnoxious customer. I think it says more about the person doing that,
> then it does about the rude customer, and shame on you Nick. :-)

We threw ilttle chunks of dry ice in to the penguins, too! That was a
loooong time ago, Cheri. I'm not as bad as I used to was. ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> > "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> When I was 15 (1950), I worked at a food stand in the Bronx Zoo
> >> (53¢/hr). If a hot dog fell on the ground, we wiped it off and kept it
> >> on one end of the grill for obnoxious customers. They also got dead
> >> flies on their hamburgers. We also would spit on their food and
> >> enjoyed watching them eat stuff like that.

> > [ . . . ]

> I try to be nice to everyone. It doesn't always work. I do have a mouth
> on me. If anything, they're going to get it with words. I'd rather be
> straight forward and tell it like I see it instead of being sneaky.

That was then. This is now.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > When I was 15 (1950), I worked at a food stand in the Bronx Zoo
>> > (53¢/hr). If a hot dog fell on the ground, we wiped it off and kept it
>> > on one end of the grill for obnoxious customers. They also got dead
>> > flies on their hamburgers. We also would spit on their food and enjoyed
>> > watching them eat stuff like that.

>> I worked in food service for a lot of years, and in a burger joint when I
>> was a teenager. *Never* would I consider tainting food for even the most
>> obnoxious customer. I think it says more about the person doing that,
>> then it does about the rude customer, and shame on you Nick. :-)

> We threw ilttle chunks of dry ice in to the penguins, too! That was a
> loooong time ago, Cheri. I'm not as bad as I used to was. ;-)

That's good Nick, I didn't want to have to talk to Jun to have her put some
additions in your food, or your vodka. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Cheri" > wrote:
> >> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

[ . . . ]
> That's good Nick, I didn't want to have to talk to Jun to have her put
> some additions in your food, or your vodka. ;-)

Truly ROTFLMAO Thanks, Cheri! I needed that! Jun knows everything about my
past. She says, "That's the way you were. You're not like that now." I know
how lucky I am! ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>>> I worked in food service for a lot of years, and in a burger joint
>>> when I was a teenager. *Never* would I consider tainting food for
>>> even the most obnoxious customer. I think it says more about the
>>> person doing that, then it does about the rude customer, and shame
>>> on you Nick. :-)

>> We threw little chunks of dry ice in to the penguins, too! That was a
>> loooong time ago, Cheri. I'm not as bad as I used to was. ;-)

> That's good Nick, I didn't want to have to talk to Jun to have her
> put some additions in your food, or your vodka. ;-)

But that would be "family" spit, not strangers goop! I got a hair in a
sandwich once, no doubt accidental but I refused to eat that kind of
sandwich again (cheese and lettuce). But above all I never went back to that
sandwich shop because the hair was not a head hair!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote:

> [ . . . ]
>> That's good Nick, I didn't want to have to talk to Jun to have her
>> put some additions in your food, or your vodka. ;-)

> Truly ROTFLMAO Thanks, Cheri! I needed that! Jun knows everything
> about my past. She says, "That's the way you were. You're not like
> that now." I know how lucky I am! ;-)

Yes, we do grow up, sorta....I can picture Cheri always being nice

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> But that would be "family" spit, not strangers goop! I got a hair in a
> sandwich once, no doubt accidental but I refused to eat that kind of
> sandwich again (cheese and lettuce). But above all I never went back to
> that sandwich shop because the hair was not a head hair!

Here's where I am with that pre-cooked packaged rice and hair. Once upon a
time, I bought a package at Big Lots. It came from India, and when I opened
it there was a long black coarse hair in it. Arrrrrrrgh. Thankfully, I've
never been a huge rice eater, so never again, and OMG on the "not a head
hair."

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> But that would be "family" spit, not strangers goop! I got a hair in
>> a sandwich once, no doubt accidental but I refused to eat that kind
>> of sandwich again (cheese and lettuce). But above all I never went
>> back to that sandwich shop because the hair was not a head hair!

> Here's where I am with that pre-cooked packaged rice and hair. Once
> upon a time, I bought a package at Big Lots. It came from India, and
> when I opened it there was a long black coarse hair in it.
> Arrrrrrrgh. Thankfully, I've never been a huge rice eater, so never
> again, and OMG on the "not a head hair."

My daughter made a huge scene at a salad/juice/sandwich bar in a large mall
food court once. She ordered a wrap and my mind wandered until I heard "I
don't want that now, you just rubbed your nose on the back of your hand and
didn't wash your hands! And where's your f#$%$#g gloves!" She was right but
I still had to walk away, I am not into big public scenes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> In places where they prepare foods in large quantities, you never know
>> what the people they hire for minimum wage are doing when the boss isn't
>> looking. At least at home you know exactly what went into it and how it
>> was done.

> When I was 15 (1950), I worked at a food stand in the Bronx Zoo (53¢/hr).
> If a hot dog fell on the ground, we wiped it off and kept it on one end of
> the grill for obnoxious customers. They also got dead flies on their
> hamburgers. We also would spit on their food and enjoyed watching them eat
> stuff like that.

In my youth I worked as a waitress, and never in a million years would I
treat anyone like that, nor would any of the chefs where I worked either.
Not a good thing.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> My daughter made a huge scene at a salad/juice/sandwich bar in a large
> mall food court once. She ordered a wrap and my mind wandered until I
> heard "I don't want that now, you just rubbed your nose on the back of
> your hand and didn't wash your hands! And where's your f#$%$#g gloves!"
> She was right but I still had to walk away, I am not into big public
> scenes

I'm not big on them either, but she was right. Not so long ago there was an
article in the paper about a family owned bakery, complete with picture in
Stockton CA, where the owners had their friend helping to make bread. He had
a large sore on his forearm, no gloves, and had his hands in the bread
dough. I can't imagine why the bakery would allow him to be there working
without gloves, and I really can't imagine why they would allow a picture to
be taken of him with his crusty sore handling bread dough. It was just
disgusting. I cut it out and took it to my weight loss group for a talk on
food safety. Geez.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> That sounds very odd. I can't imagine a doctor telling an overweight
> person they must eat more, no matter what their other health issues. But
> I am not a doctor, just an old lady who imagines she has some common
> sense.

A Dr. didn't tell me to do that. The diabetes nurse and the dietician told
me that I wasn't eating enough. I was eating only twice a day and they said
this was making my BG higher.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> That sounds very odd. I can't imagine a doctor telling an overweight
>> person they must eat more, no matter what their other health issues.
>> But I am not a doctor, just an old lady who imagines she has some common
>> sense.

> A Dr. didn't tell me to do that. The diabetes nurse and the dietician
> told me that I wasn't eating enough. I was eating only twice a day and
> they said this was making my BG higher.

It seems like the key is "more often" not necessarily more?

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> That sounds very odd. I can't imagine a doctor telling an overweight
>>> person they must eat more, no matter what their other health issues. But
>>> I am not a doctor, just an old lady who imagines she has some common
>>> sense.

>> A Dr. didn't tell me to do that. The diabetes nurse and the dietician
>> told me that I wasn't eating enough. I was eating only twice a day and
>> they said this was making my BG higher.

> It seems like the key is "more often" not necessarily more?

No. I was not taking in enough calories either.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> A Dr. didn't tell me to do that. The diabetes nurse and the dietician
>>> told me that I wasn't eating enough. I was eating only twice a day and
>>> they said this was making my BG higher.

>> It seems like the key is "more often" not necessarily more?

> No. I was not taking in enough calories either.

That wouldn't make your bg's higher! I don't understand how that would
work, Julie. Did they give you any more detailed explanation?

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 05:22:39 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>I'm not big on them either, but she was right. Not so long ago there was an
>article in the paper about a family owned bakery, complete with picture in
>Stockton CA, where the owners had their friend helping to make bread. He had
>a large sore on his forearm, no gloves, and had his hands in the bread
>dough. I can't imagine why the bakery would allow him to be there working
>without gloves, and I really can't imagine why they would allow a picture to
>be taken of him with his crusty sore handling bread dough. It was just
>disgusting. I cut it out and took it to my weight loss group for a talk on
>food safety. Geez.

Gah!! That would work! EWWW!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> That sounds very odd. I can't imagine a doctor telling an
>> overweight person they must eat more, no matter what their other
>> health issues. But I am not a doctor, just an old lady who
>> imagines she has some common sense.

> A Dr. didn't tell me to do that. The diabetes nurse and the
> dietician told me that I wasn't eating enough. I was eating only
> twice a day and they said this was making my BG higher.

Yes it can. Little and often is the key to euglycemia, in anyone - not just
diabetics.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> It seems like the key is "more often" not necessarily more?

>> No. I was not taking in enough calories either.

> That wouldn't make your bg's higher! I don't understand how that would
> work, Julie. Did they give you any more detailed explanation?

Yes. Liver dump. And that *could* make BG go higher.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> That sounds very odd. I can't imagine a doctor telling an
>>> overweight person they must eat more, no matter what their other
>>> health issues. But I am not a doctor, just an old lady who
>>> imagines she has some common sense.

>> A Dr. didn't tell me to do that. The diabetes nurse and the
>> dietician told me that I wasn't eating enough. I was eating only
>> twice a day and they said this was making my BG higher.

> Yes it can. Little and often is the key to euglycemia, in anyone - not
> just diabetics.

Little and often sounds like a good plan for everyone.
Diabetes is a very much more complicated disease than I ever imagined.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>> Hi Julie,
>>
>>> But I didn't prepare them. There's a difference. Just like I don't
>>> mind eating a sandwich that somebody else fixed but a sandwich I fixed
>>> is not at all appealing.

>> I know the feeling, but it can get very expensive to do that.
>> I too love almost anything someone else prepared, although I am a good
>> cook myself.
>>

>>>I will look up the ingredients.
>>>
>>> Ingredients: Chicken nuggets (skinless, boneless, no added antibiotics,
>>> hormone free chicken breast with rib meat, canola oil, cornflake crumbs
>>> (milled corn, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, caramel color), water all
>>> natural potato flakes, sea salt. Coated and battered with cornflake
>>> crumbs, water, yellow corn flour, cornstarch, sea salt, granulated
>>> baking powder, granulated garlic. Cooked in canola oil. Natural color
>>> derived from oil.
>>>
>>> So I see these do have garlic but it must not be very much because I
>>> can't taste it and it doesn't cause me stomach pains.

>> They do seem not to be anything too bad. You might be able to
>> approximate something yourself, just from reading their ingredients.
>> Six bucks a box does seem expensive.

> I have tried but I can't get the coating to stick.

I was thinking about this, and I still think they are chopped up, maybe with
the potato flakes added to the mix to make it stay together. All that
other stuff is in there somewhere too. I'd still bet they are chopped up.
I have done that with chicken breasts. I ran them through my food
processor, then mixed them into a sort of a meatball.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Hi Julie,

>>> I know the feeling, but it can get very expensive to do that.
>>> I too love almost anything someone else prepared, although I am a good
>>> cook myself.

>>> They do seem not to be anything too bad. You might be able to
>>> approximate something yourself, just from reading their ingredients. Six
>>> bucks a box does seem expensive.

>> I have tried but I can't get the coating to stick.

> I was thinking about this, and I still think they are chopped up, maybe
> with the potato flakes added to the mix to make it stay together. All
> that other stuff is in there somewhere too. I'd still bet they are
> chopped up. I have done that with chicken breasts. I ran them through my
> food processor, then mixed them into a sort of a meatball.

Hmmm... Dunno.

I used to make nuggest with chunks of chicken, cheese crackers and some
other stuff I can't eat now. They don't seem much different. I didn't chop
anything up. How would chopping get the coating to stick? I'm sure they
probably have a machine or something.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

>> Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it
>> out of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot
>> to heat very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it
>> smells really good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he
>> wants this or that soup from the freezer, he says no.

> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

Have you checked for problems with your freezer, such as a bad
temperature, or a bad smell that gets absorbed by any food stored
there?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it
>>> out of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot
>>> to heat very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it
>>> smells really good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he
>>> wants this or that soup from the freezer, he says no.

>> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

> Have you checked for problems with your freezer, such as a bad
> temperature, or a bad smell that gets absorbed by any food stored
> there?

There's nothing wrong with the freezer. I just hate eating frozen
leftovers. There were periods of time when money was really tight and I had
no choice but to do it. I think perhaps how I was raised had something to
do with it. The only stuff that ever got put in the freezer was stuff we
had to put there for that very reason. Donuts were one such thing. We used
to buy cheap grab bags of leftover bakery items. There might be an
occasional muffin or cookie but mostly they were donuts. Some of them
always went into the freezer. I never liked donuts to begin with but stale
donuts were worse and donuts that had been reheated in the oven, just vile!

Stew was another thing that got frozen. I do like some stew. I didn't much
like the stew that my mom made because the meat was so tough and chewy. She
also doesn't use a lot of seasonings in her food. Whenever she made stew, I
knew I'd have to eat it again one day.

When I make soup, I might have some left for the next day. This is
especially true if I make it when I am sick, which is often why I make it.
And when I am sick, I don't want to cook which is why I make extra to begin
with. But if any of that leftover soup goes in the freezer I can pretty
much guarantee it won't ever get eaten. I'll see it and think, "yuck!".

There was another period of time when I had to live off of a pot of
spaghetti for a month. I had a ton of containers. I had to freeze it and
take it to work because there was a microwave there and I didn't have one at
home. I got so sick of spaghetti!

Another time I was on a really strict (self induced) diet. I made special
muffins and ate those pretty much every day for breakfast. Because I got
several dozen at a time and ate only one each morning, they had to go into
the freezer. I did have a microwave by then. And those were okay when
reheated in the microwave. I should add that I don't much like muffins to
begin with so the fact that they were not perfect when being reheated didn't
really matter to me. I just gagged them down and got on with my day.

I do have to freeze meat occasionally. I can't always use it all up and to
save money I try to buy some of it at Costco which generally sells large
portions. I have found some crock-pot recipes that use meat from the frozen
state. And I can cook ground beef from the frozen state, although it is
difficult to get out of some kinds of packaging.

I wind up going to the store several times a week and to several different
stores to get fresh food. I don't mind. At least it's an option for me
here! Some places I lived it was not an option and I was forced at times to
live off of canned foods. I didn't like that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:55:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I used to make nuggest with chunks of chicken, cheese crackers and some
>other stuff I can't eat now. They don't seem much different. I didn't chop
>anything up. How would chopping get the coating to stick? I'm sure they
>probably have a machine or something.

Chunks, dipped in a fluid of some kind, then rolled in a coating;
double-dipped and coated if necessary.

I'd use milk and low-carb bread crumbs; you could probably use almond
milk and ground almonds, or similar.