Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
Nick Cramer wrote:

Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily.
The food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.

The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

Interesting. Husband's family is Italian and I've been told they come
from Sicily. Could explain why husband puts so much salt on everything.

Does he know what village, town, city or region? My Grandfather came from
Giardini-Naxos, on the east end of Sicily, between Taormina and Catania.

No. They seem not to know much about the relatives in the old country, but
oddly many of his relatives have gone back to visit and said they visited
relatives. I have had people contact me online to see if we are related,
but I just don't know.

Mediterranian sea salt is tasty. I like a few crystals on a Tbs of olive
oil or a slice of tomato, but, as AlanS says, "All things in moderation,
except laughter!"

I only use sea salt these days. It's delicious on popcorn. To me it tastes
buttery.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

My SIL is Hispanic..he had to go get his helping of Menudo at his sisters
house today..My daughter refuses to make it
Jacquie
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
tripe, and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make
the others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
with. The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition
of Okra and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.

Campbell soups used to have a lot of salt in them. I'm sure yours are
healthier.

As to tripe, you might like this:

Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.

Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely rich
Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

INGREDIENTS:

1-3/4 pound (800 g) tripe, diced
2 ounces (50 g) lard (substitute oil if you prefer)
1 onion
3 plum tomatoes
2 cloves garlic (optional)
2 eggplants, sliced and fried
1/2 pound (200 g) ground veal cooked in sauce (see below)
2 ounces (50 g) grated seasoned caciocavallo Sicilian cheese
1/4 pound (100 g) fresh primosale (extremely fresh Sicilian cheese as
opposed to seasoned - pecorino cheese if need be), thinly sliced
A small bunch parsley, minced
2 cloves, ground
A pinch ground cinnamon
3 eggs, 2 hard boiled and sliced, and the other fresh
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

Sauté the onion in the lard until lightly browned in an ovenproof pot. The
original recipe contains neither tomatoes nor garlic, but they've crept in
over the years. Therefore add them, together with the tripe, a few drops
of
oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and the spices (cinnamon and cloves, to
taste).
Stir well to combine, bring to a boil and remove from the fire when all is
heated through.

Pour the contents of the pot into a bowl. Don't wash the pot, but rather
refill it, layering it with the eggplant, the tripe, and then the ground
meat; dust the meat with some grated caciocavallo (don't put all of it
into
the filling, however) and cover with a few slices of primo sale, then
repeat with more layers until all is used up. Sprinkle the oil over the
top
and spread the hard boiled eggs over it too.

Lightly beat the fresh egg and mix the remaining caciocavallo into it,
together with salt, pepper, and a little more parsley. Spread this mixture
over the top and bake, covered, in the oven (400 F, 200 C) until it is
bubbling nicely, then remove cover and continue baking 'til it's nicely
browned. Serve with Nerello di Marsala, a dry red.

MANGIA! MANGIA!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

As to tripe, you might like this:

Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.

Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely
rich Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

[]
Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
supposed to par boil it.

I suppose you could do that. People soak game foods, including lamb and
trout, in buttermilk to get rid of the 'gaminess'. I like to taste what
makes one food different from another. Kidney, like shark meat, should be
parboiled to remove the urine. Cleaning thoroughly isn't the same. Tripe
should be cleaned. I rub between my hands in cold water. Chitlins should be
VERY WELL cleaned (don't forget to turn them inside out!), but I never
parboil them. YMMV

Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote:
My SIL is Hispanic..he had to go get his helping of Menudo at his sisters
house today..My daughter refuses to make it
Jacquie
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

My SIL is Hispanic, too. His Mother sent over a pot of Menudo and a dozen
Tamales for me. I'll give her this: she can cook! I'll hafta add my own hot
sauce, though. Mañana!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:51:09 -0500, "Evelyn"
wrote:

Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it then
throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I prepared
tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and unpleasant.
Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was supposed to par
boil it.

My Mum used to boil it once in water for an hour or so, then for
several hours in milk with lots of onions and black pepper. Used to be
one of my total favourite foods - I can't find anywhere to buy it from
any more, I even tried to get it last time I had a 1/4 cow from a
butcher who does his own killing, but it was all spoken for by the
restaurant trade!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Old 02-01-2009, 03:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Evelyn wrote:

: "Jacquie" wrote in message
: m...
: When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
: up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
: That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long.
...Hubby
: doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants
don't
: seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

: Wow, you did train them well!

: Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical.
For
: some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps
with
: the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.

: There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
used
: to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
: delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is
time
: to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

: Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian
Wedding
: soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
: barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
: cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.

: As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
: anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
tripe,
: and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make the
: others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
with.
: The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition of
Okra
: and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.
: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Stop! Stop! You are driving me to the soup pot:-) I am getting hungry
just reading all this. Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals! I wil do some
soup for next week which will also last us for quite a few days. I don't
freez a great deal of my soups, just a quart or so, as I have only a top
freezer. In the winter I love eating that way as it reduces the amount
of dinner cooking and makes the time a effort very worth while.

Wendy

Hi Wendy :-)

Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered. He
will be eating only liquids and soft stuff for a day or two. So soup is
the best way to go during that time. (I am very glad I made all that soup
now!)

I bought a big bag of broccoli florets, and I think I will make a quick
cream of broccoli soup for him out of it, so he has something he can eat
when he gets home and when he feels up to sipping on something.

I steam the broccoli till it is tender, and save the liquid. In a large
pot, melt some butter, sautee some onion in it, then add all your dry
seasonings..... garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a few tablespoons of flour.

Make sure all the flour is completely soaked up with the melted butter. No
dry white bits at all.... add more butter if you have miscalculated. Take
your time at this point, because the next step requires close attention.

Add a good quantity of milk and the broccoli liquid back to the pot, and
cook and stir constantly till you get a thickened product. Now finely chop
the broccoli and add it back to the pot also.

For hubby, today I will use my wand blender to make the soup totally
pulverized and creamy so he has nothing to chew on, but in ordinary
circumstances I would do a sort of half and half thing. I would ordinarily
blend half the broccoli but leave some small pieces so there is something of
the veggies to chew on in the soup.

A nice addition would be to melt some shredded cheddar cheese into the
thickened sauce before adding the broccoli.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
"W. Baker" wrote:

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
: meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!

: I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a
stew
: to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
: become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
: onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
: should have a decent stew.

: Priscilla

I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

Come to think of it, I think I do have some white turnips in the back of
the fridge. Yellow, too, but that's too good on its own to put in a
stew. I can't imagine green pepper in a stew, but I put celery in pot
roast, so it should go in stew just fine.

I like to put green beans in my lamb and goat stew.

PP

When I make a stew, I put in quite a few carrots cut into 2 inch lengths, a
couple of parsnips, some small whole onions, some celery cut into 2 inch
lengths (and use the leaves too for flavor) and a couple of potatoes. I
also use a green pepper, and one can of tomatoes. About a 1/4 cup of
Marsala wine gives great flavor too. When the vegetables are all finished,
I throw in a handful of frozen green peas. The heat of the liquid cooks
them quickly and they add great color.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

[...]

I have never eaten chitlins, and probably will never prepare them either,
but tripe is interesting in pepper pot soup, and I thought I could perhaps
try for that flavor. I was told by an Italian lady that you throw away the
first cooking water in order to get rid of the strong gaminess when cooking
tripe. I haven't tried it, preferring to wait till someone who knew
exactly could advise me on it.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.

I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Old 02-01-2009, 05:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: : In article ,
: : "W. Baker" wrote:
:
[...]

Green peppers are lovely in the stew. they werein the original Joy Of
Cooking recipe for Gaston beef stew that I developed my own, vegetablier,
tomatoier one from. Something I also use are a few chole cloves-say 6-8
That also came from the original recipe.

Wendy

Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
[...]

that should also be good with some curry powder in it too. Sounds lovely!

Wendy

Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:00:46 -0500, "Evelyn"
wrote:

Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered.

No need to worry him, but you might find this educational:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...and-death.html

There is a later paper showing a possible causative link for
T2. Just letting you know for awareness.

At least he will be eating as you eat at your place.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Inspiration)
Old 02-01-2009, 10:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he
couldn't...LOL.

I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Pssst... don't tell 'em...