Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

i make as good as the back yard ribs alot now in the over with a simple
method..in fact i prefer them this way because they always turn out perfect.

what i do is take a baking sheet..known as a half sheet at a restaurant
supply store...it is pretty thick gauge metal and has a half inch lip around
it.

i put a cooling rack in that ..thats similar size and because im lazy about
clean up i line the pan with foil then put the rack in it to only have to
clean the rack..lol

Anyhoo i dry rub the ribs like normal and bake them on the rack a hour..turn
them..bake another 40 mins or so and then put my b-que sauce on both sides
and cook another 40 mins...thats it..and they turn out lovely....no fuss .

this is a great way to cook meats as they cook up in the air and the rack
gets hot so almost grills em that way too.

great for making chicken breasts, etc..even roasts..nothing sits in its own
fat and juices so its never soggy and like i say has that grilled taste and
texture.

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> Nick that recipe sounds good, but my husband won't BBQ in the ice and
>> snow, and I don't have some of those ingredients on hand. I am going to
>> look on Cooks.com and see if they have something, otherwise I will just
>> braise them till they are tender in some tomatoes and wine etc.

> [ . . . ]
>
> Hubby won't BBQ in the ice and snow? Saw a pic from a friend of mine in
> the
> upper US. His backyard had so much snow that his BBQ was completely
> covered.
>
> Your method should give you some tender, tasty ribs. The key thing for me
> was to cook them at a low enough temp that you can get the inside to where
> you want it, without drying out or overcooking the outside. I like a
> little
> bark on my ribs, but little is the key word for me. A little more bark if
> yer gonna make pulled pork.
>
> You can take some dry wood chunks or chips, wrap 'em good into a packet,
> using aluminum foil, poke some small holes in the top of the packet, so
> smoke can get out, but it won't start burning, put it in the bottom of the
> oven. Voila! Smokey flavor and NO liquid smoke!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message

>> > We used to Barbeque steak in Alaska with 3 ft of snow on the ground.
>> > Wayne would stand out by the grill with his Parka on...neighbors
>> > thought we were crazy, but hey we're from the West and steak just don't
>> > taste right unless it is cooked on the grill
>> > Jacquie

>> Jacquie, he doesn't mind grilling if the snow is ON the ground, but when
>> it is still falling from the sky he balks at it! Especially since he
>> doesn't like to shovel the snow off the deck, which is where our grill
>> is. But it's OK, most of the time he will grill stuff if I ask him.

> Ah! True love! I'll bet you don't ask him to, very often, either. ;-)

Actually I do.....We almost always grill pork chops or steaks, and of course
hamburgers too. We don't like to smoke up the house with searing stuff on
really high in the house, and the fan only does so much to relieve that, so
he willingly goes out to grill those items. He has even fired up the grill
because I happened to have a mad urge for a couple of hot dogs on rare
occasions. So I really can't complain, he's a good guy....

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i make as good as the back yard ribs alot now in the over with a simple
>method..in fact i prefer them this way because they always turn out
>perfect.
>
> what i do is take a baking sheet..known as a half sheet at a restaurant
> supply store...it is pretty thick gauge metal and has a half inch lip
> around it.
>
> i put a cooling rack in that ..thats similar size and because im lazy
> about clean up i line the pan with foil then put the rack in it to only
> have to clean the rack..lol
>
> Anyhoo i dry rub the ribs like normal and bake them on the rack a
> hour..turn them..bake another 40 mins or so and then put my b-que sauce on
> both sides and cook another 40 mins...thats it..and they turn out
> lovely....no fuss .
>
> this is a great way to cook meats as they cook up in the air and the rack
> gets hot so almost grills em that way too.
>
> great for making chicken breasts, etc..even roasts..nothing sits in its
> own fat and juices so its never soggy and like i say has that grilled
> taste and texture.
>
> KROM

Krom, at what degree would you bake those? Very hot maybe?

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yes Wayne Bar-b-qued on the porch with a roof over it...but he would have
done it in Heavy snowfall just to have that grilled steak...and he hates the
cold..LOL. He is so happy we are back in AZ

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> We used to Barbeque steak in Alaska with 3 ft of snow on the ground.
>> Wayne would stand out by the grill with his Parka on...neighbors thought
>> we were crazy, but hey we're from the West and steak just don't taste
>> right unless it is cooked on the grill
>> Jacquie

> Jacquie, he doesn't mind grilling if the snow is ON the ground, but when
> it is still falling from the sky he balks at it! Especially since he
> doesn't like to shovel the snow off the deck, which is where our grill is.
> But it's OK, most of the time he will grill stuff if I ask him.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

actually doesnt have to be..375 works fine for me.

i spose being elevated and the fats and spices vaporizing below them..acts
like a smoker..even though theres no smoke...dunno why it works really but
the results are great.

KROM

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>>i make as good as the back yard ribs alot now in the over with a simple
>>method..in fact i prefer them this way because they always turn out
>>perfect.
>>
>> what i do is take a baking sheet..known as a half sheet at a restaurant
>> supply store...it is pretty thick gauge metal and has a half inch lip
>> around it.
>>
>> i put a cooling rack in that ..thats similar size and because im lazy
>> about clean up i line the pan with foil then put the rack in it to only
>> have to clean the rack..lol
>>
>> Anyhoo i dry rub the ribs like normal and bake them on the rack a
>> hour..turn them..bake another 40 mins or so and then put my b-que sauce
>> on both sides and cook another 40 mins...thats it..and they turn out
>> lovely....no fuss .
>>
>> this is a great way to cook meats as they cook up in the air and the rack
>> gets hot so almost grills em that way too.
>>
>> great for making chicken breasts, etc..even roasts..nothing sits in its
>> own fat and juices so its never soggy and like i say has that grilled
>> taste and texture.
>>
>> KROM

> Krom, at what degree would you bake those? Very hot maybe?

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn > wrote:
>>
>> : >> Janet, you lucky gal. We are expecting 8 inches of snow tonight.
>> : >> (biting nails and looking wild eyed).
>> : >>
>> : >
>> : > S N O W is a 4 letter word. :-)
>>

>> : Hey we got 3 more months of this nasty white shit falling from the
>> sky!!!!!!
>> : ;-P
>>
>> When we get snow I get housebound. My lvoely chariot(large blue shopping
>> cart) doen't go well in the snow. I hpe to get out tomorrow morning as
>> there is a Bar Mitzvah I want to attend and the snow is not expecteduntil
>> arond noon, with it gettign heavy around 4PM. I should be home well
>> before then. I hate the thought of being housebound Sunday! I have been
>> having a great time this week gadding about with my chariot and would
>> like
>> to continue the pattern. Oh Phooey!
>>
>> Wendy

> Wendy up here in the mountains we have had ice storm after ice storm. My
> balance isn't so good anymore. I feel very unstable when I walk on ice.
> In fact it is downright scary. Right now it is 14 degrees out. there
> is a big storm on the way that is supposed to bring as much as 8 inches of
> snow on top of all the ice we already have. The entire next week is
> projected to be in the teens and below and not a single day above
> freezing. Today I went to Adams and bought stuff to do some serious
> cooking with. Tomorrow I will make a beef barley mushroom soup to put
> away in the freezer for our lunches, and I will do laundry in between
> that..... Hope you do get out and about tomorrow too!

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn

Is that temperature low enough that the snow stays snow and doesn't turn
to ice? That's what happened the winter I was working in Minnesota, so
I only saw slippery spots one day while I was there.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>

>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Evelyn > wrote:
>>>
>>> : >> Janet, you lucky gal. We are expecting 8 inches of snow tonight.
>>> : >> (biting nails and looking wild eyed).
>>> : >>
>>> : >
>>> : > S N O W is a 4 letter word. :-)
>>>

>>> : Hey we got 3 more months of this nasty white shit falling from the
>>> sky!!!!!!
>>> : ;-P
>>>
>>> When we get snow I get housebound. My lvoely chariot(large blue
>>> shopping
>>> cart) doen't go well in the snow. I hpe to get out tomorrow morning as
>>> there is a Bar Mitzvah I want to attend and the snow is not
>>> expecteduntil
>>> arond noon, with it gettign heavy around 4PM. I should be home well
>>> before then. I hate the thought of being housebound Sunday! I have
>>> been
>>> having a great time this week gadding about with my chariot and would
>>> like
>>> to continue the pattern. Oh Phooey!
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> Wendy up here in the mountains we have had ice storm after ice storm.
>> My balance isn't so good anymore. I feel very unstable when I walk on
>> ice. In fact it is downright scary. Right now it is 14 degrees out.
>> there is a big storm on the way that is supposed to bring as much as 8
>> inches of snow on top of all the ice we already have. The entire next
>> week is projected to be in the teens and below and not a single day above
>> freezing. Today I went to Adams and bought stuff to do some serious
>> cooking with. Tomorrow I will make a beef barley mushroom soup to put
>> away in the freezer for our lunches, and I will do laundry in between
>> that..... Hope you do get out and about tomorrow too!
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Evelyn
>>

> Is that temperature low enough that the snow stays snow and doesn't turn
> to ice? That's what happened the winter I was working in Minnesota, so
> I only saw slippery spots one day while I was there.
>
> Robert

Robert it is essential around here that you clean up the snow as soon as
possible. If it gets a tiny thaw in between and refreezes, it turns to ice
that you can never get rid of unless you chop it out.