Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>
>> There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
>> used
>> to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
>> delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is
>> time
>> to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

> http://www.hometownfavorites.com/pro...8&pagenumber=2
>
> PP

Wow, all three of my favorites on one page! Thanks!
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> the others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
>> with. The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition
>> of Okra and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.

> Campbell soups used to have a lot of salt in them. I'm sure yours are
> healthier.
>
> As to tripe, you might like this:
>
> Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.
>
> Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely rich
> Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> 1-3/4 pound (800 g) tripe, diced
> 2 ounces (50 g) lard (substitute oil if you prefer)
> 1 onion
> 3 plum tomatoes
> 2 cloves garlic (optional)
> 2 eggplants, sliced and fried
> 1/2 pound (200 g) ground veal cooked in sauce (see below)
> 2 ounces (50 g) grated seasoned caciocavallo Sicilian cheese
> 1/4 pound (100 g) fresh primosale (extremely fresh Sicilian cheese as
> opposed to seasoned - pecorino cheese if need be), thinly sliced
> A small bunch parsley, minced
> 2 cloves, ground
> A pinch ground cinnamon
> 3 eggs, 2 hard boiled and sliced, and the other fresh
> 1/3 cup olive oil
> Salt & pepper to taste
>
> PREPARATION:
>
> Sauté the onion in the lard until lightly browned in an ovenproof pot. The
> original recipe contains neither tomatoes nor garlic, but they've crept in
> over the years. Therefore add them, together with the tripe, a few drops
> of
> oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and the spices (cinnamon and cloves, to
> taste).
> Stir well to combine, bring to a boil and remove from the fire when all is
> heated through.
>
> Pour the contents of the pot into a bowl. Don't wash the pot, but rather
> refill it, layering it with the eggplant, the tripe, and then the ground
> meat; dust the meat with some grated caciocavallo (don't put all of it
> into
> the filling, however) and cover with a few slices of primo sale, then
> repeat with more layers until all is used up. Sprinkle the oil over the
> top
> and spread the hard boiled eggs over it too.
>
> Lightly beat the fresh egg and mix the remaining caciocavallo into it,
> together with salt, pepper, and a little more parsley. Spread this mixture
> over the top and bake, covered, in the oven (400 F, 200 C) until it is
> bubbling nicely, then remove cover and continue baking 'til it's nicely
> browned. Serve with Nerello di Marsala, a dry red.
>
> MANGIA! MANGIA!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it then
throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I prepared
tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and unpleasant.
Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was supposed to par
boil it.

Ev

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >
> >> There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
> >> used
> >> to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
> >> delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is
> >> time
> >> to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

> > http://www.hometownfavorites.com/pro...8&pagenumber=2
> >
> > PP

> Wow, all three of my favorites on one page! Thanks!

You're welcome!

They're a bit pricey, but for a few cans I think the nostalgia is worth
it.

PP.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> : > Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
> : > meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!
>
> : I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a stew
> : to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
> : become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
> : onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
> : should have a decent stew.
>
> : Priscilla
>
> I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
> turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
> potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

Come to think of it, I think I do have some white turnips in the back of
the fridge. Yellow, too, but that's too good on its own to put in a
stew. I can't imagine green pepper in a stew, but I put celery in pot
roast, so it should go in stew just fine.

I like to put green beans in my lamb and goat stew.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
>could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.

I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily.
>> > The food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
>> > routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
>> > contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.
>> >
>> > The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

>> Interesting. Husband's family is Italian and I've been told they come
>> from Sicily. Could explain why husband puts so much salt on everything.

> Does he know what village, town, city or region? My Grandfather came from
> Giardini-Naxos, on the east end of Sicily, between Taormina and Catania.

No. They seem not to know much about the relatives in the old country, but
oddly many of his relatives have gone back to visit and said they visited
relatives. I have had people contact me online to see if we are related,
but I just don't know.

> Mediterranian sea salt is tasty. I like a few crystals on a Tbs of olive
> oil or a slice of tomato, but, as AlanS says, "All things in moderation,
> except laughter!"

I only use sea salt these days. It's delicious on popcorn. To me it tastes
buttery.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My SIL is Hispanic..he had to go get his helping of Menudo at his sisters
house today..My daughter refuses to make it
Jacquie
> [...]

> the filling, however) and cover with a few slices of primo sale, then
> repeat with more layers until all is used up. Sprinkle the oil over the
> top
> and spread the hard boiled eggs over it too.
>
> Lightly beat the fresh egg and mix the remaining caciocavallo into it,
> together with salt, pepper, and a little more parsley. Spread this mixture
> over the top and bake, covered, in the oven (400 F, 200 C) until it is
> bubbling nicely, then remove cover and continue baking 'til it's nicely
> browned. Serve with Nerello di Marsala, a dry red.
>
> MANGIA! MANGIA!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> >> [ . . . ]

> > As to tripe, you might like this:
> >
> > Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.
> >
> > Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely
> > rich Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

[]
> Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
> then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
> prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
> unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
> supposed to par boil it.

I suppose you could do that. People soak game foods, including lamb and
trout, in buttermilk to get rid of the 'gaminess'. I like to taste what
makes one food different from another. Kidney, like shark meat, should be
parboiled to remove the urine. Cleaning thoroughly isn't the same. Tripe
should be cleaned. I rub between my hands in cold water. Chitlins should be
VERY WELL cleaned (don't forget to turn them inside out!), but I never
parboil them. YMMV

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> My SIL is Hispanic..he had to go get his helping of Menudo at his sisters
> house today..My daughter refuses to make it
> Jacquie
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> >> [ . . . ]

My SIL is Hispanic, too. His Mother sent over a pot of Menudo and a dozen
Tamales for me. I'll give her this: she can cook! I'll hafta add my own hot
sauce, though. Mañana!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:51:09 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it then
>throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I prepared
>tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and unpleasant.
>Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was supposed to par
>boil it.

My Mum used to boil it once in water for an hour or so, then for
several hours in milk with lots of onions and black pepper. Used to be
one of my total favourite foods - I can't find anywhere to buy it from
any more, I even tried to get it last time I had a 1/4 cow from a
butcher who does his own killing, but it was all spoken for by the
restaurant trade!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>
> : "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> : m...
> : > When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
> : > up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
> : > That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long.
> ...Hubby
> : > doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants
> don't
> : > seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.
>

> : Wow, you did train them well!
>
> : Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical.
> For
> : some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps
> with
> : the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.
>
> : There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
> used
> : to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
> : delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is
> time
> : to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.
>
> : Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian
> Wedding
> : soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
> : barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
> : cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.
>
> : As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
> : anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
> tripe,
> : and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make the
> : others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
> with.
> : The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition of
> Okra
> : and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.
> : --
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> Stop! Stop! You are driving me to the soup pot:-) I am getting hungry
> just reading all this. Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
> meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals! I wil do some
> soup for next week which will also last us for quite a few days. I don't
> freez a great deal of my soups, just a quart or so, as I have only a top
> freezer. In the winter I love eating that way as it reduces the amount
> of dinner cooking and makes the time a effort very worth while.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy :-)

Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered. He
will be eating only liquids and soft stuff for a day or two. So soup is
the best way to go during that time. (I am very glad I made all that soup
now!)

I bought a big bag of broccoli florets, and I think I will make a quick
cream of broccoli soup for him out of it, so he has something he can eat
when he gets home and when he feels up to sipping on something.

I steam the broccoli till it is tender, and save the liquid. In a large
pot, melt some butter, sautee some onion in it, then add all your dry
seasonings..... garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a few tablespoons of flour.

Make sure all the flour is completely soaked up with the melted butter. No
dry white bits at all.... add more butter if you have miscalculated. Take
your time at this point, because the next step requires close attention.

Add a good quantity of milk and the broccoli liquid back to the pot, and
cook and stir constantly till you get a thickened product. Now finely chop
the broccoli and add it back to the pot also.

For hubby, today I will use my wand blender to make the soup totally
pulverized and creamy so he has nothing to chew on, but in ordinary
circumstances I would do a sort of half and half thing. I would ordinarily
blend half the broccoli but leave some small pieces so there is something of
the veggies to chew on in the soup.

A nice addition would be to melt some shredded cheddar cheese into the
thickened sauce before adding the broccoli.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> : In article >,
>> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>>
>> : > Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
>> : > meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!
>>
>> : I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a
>> stew
>> : to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
>> : become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
>> : onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
>> : should have a decent stew.
>>
>> : Priscilla
>>
>> I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
>> turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
>> potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

> Come to think of it, I think I do have some white turnips in the back of
> the fridge. Yellow, too, but that's too good on its own to put in a
> stew. I can't imagine green pepper in a stew, but I put celery in pot
> roast, so it should go in stew just fine.
>
> I like to put green beans in my lamb and goat stew.
>
> PP

When I make a stew, I put in quite a few carrots cut into 2 inch lengths, a
couple of parsnips, some small whole onions, some celery cut into 2 inch
lengths (and use the leaves too for flavor) and a couple of potatoes. I
also use a green pepper, and one can of tomatoes. About a 1/4 cup of
Marsala wine gives great flavor too. When the vegetables are all finished,
I throw in a handful of frozen green peas. The heat of the liquid cooks
them quickly and they add great color.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> > As to tripe, you might like this:
>> >
>> > Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.
>> >
>> > Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely
>> > rich Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

> []
>> Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
>> then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
>> prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
>> unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
>> supposed to par boil it.

> I suppose you could do that. People soak game foods, including lamb and
> trout, in buttermilk to get rid of the 'gaminess'. I like to taste what
> makes one food different from another. Kidney, like shark meat, should be
> parboiled to remove the urine. Cleaning thoroughly isn't the same. Tripe
> should be cleaned. I rub between my hands in cold water. Chitlins should
> be
> VERY WELL cleaned (don't forget to turn them inside out!), but I never
> parboil them. YMMV

I have never eaten chitlins, and probably will never prepare them either,
but tripe is interesting in pepper pot soup, and I thought I could perhaps
try for that flavor. I was told by an Italian lady that you throw away the
first cooking water in order to get rid of the strong gaminess when cooking
tripe. I haven't tried it, preferring to wait till someone who knew
exactly could advise me on it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
>>could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.

> I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
> declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
> soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: > : In article >,
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote:
: >
[...]

Green peppers are lovely in the stew. they werein the original Joy Of
Cooking recipe for Gaston beef stew that I developed my own, vegetablier,
tomatoier one from. Something I also use are a few chole cloves-say 6-8
That also came from the original recipe.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
[...]

that should also be good with some curry powder in it too. Sounds lovely!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

One of my DIL's is also Hispanic..when we go to Scottsdale to visit her Mom
sometimes cooks for us..she can cook good stuff. We prefer Sonoran food to
any other.
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>> My SIL is Hispanic..he had to go get his helping of Menudo at his sisters
>> house today..My daughter refuses to make it
>> Jacquie

> My SIL is Hispanic, too. His Mother sent over a pot of Menudo and a dozen
> Tamales for me. I'll give her this: she can cook! I'll hafta add my own
> hot
> sauce, though. Mañana!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:00:46 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:

>Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered.

No need to worry him, but you might find this educational:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...and-death.html

There is a later paper showing a possible causative link for
T2. Just letting you know for awareness.

At least he will be eating as you eat at your place.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Inspiration)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>>I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
>>>could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he
>>>couldn't...LOL.

>> I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
>> declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
>> soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

>Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Pssst... don't tell 'em...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

>>Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

> Pssst... don't tell 'em...

They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:00:46 -0500, "Evelyn"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered.

> No need to worry him, but you might find this educational:
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...and-death.html
>
> There is a later paper showing a possible causative link for
> T2. Just letting you know for awareness.
>
> At least he will be eating as you eat at your place.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Hi Alan,

That was interesting reading. Hubby has had gum issues for years, and he
does now have DM. He's had regular scheduled cleanings forever, and had
several gum surgeries to correct it, so it isn't from neglect by any means.
But according to wikipedia this new laser treatment is truly the best way to
go.

Our dentist is a cutting edge kind of a guy with everything in their office
being the latest and best. They do the laser treatment on one entire side
of the mouth, both up and down, then go and do the other side within ten
days of the first. This is his second half, so he just has to go back for
a checkup.

It is a VERY expensive procedure. It cost thousands to do it. It also
took several hours to do it. The good part of having it done with the
laser is that there is much less pain than the traditional way where they
cut the gums, and that it is more effective, and supposedly more lasting,
and heals more quickly. I surely hope this is the case. Wikipedia has
some information on the laser gum treatment of periodontal disease.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>> m...
>>>
>>> I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
>>> declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
>>> soup for dinner and nothing but soup.

>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

> Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it out
of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot to heat
very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it smells really
good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he wants this or that
soup from the freezer, he says no.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

>> Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

> Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it
> out of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot
> to heat very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it
> smells really good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he wants
> this or that soup from the freezer, he says no.

I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

>> Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it
>> out of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot
>> to heat very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it
>> smells really good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he
>> wants this or that soup from the freezer, he says no.

> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are not
doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the flavors
meld together better.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Julie, you don't tell them. My husband is the same way. So I take it
>>> out of the freezer, pop it out of the plastic container, put it in a pot
>>> to heat very slowly, and to thaw. By the time it is lunchtime, it
>>> smells really good and he will then eat it. But if I ask him if he
>>> wants this or that soup from the freezer, he says no.

>> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

> If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are not
> doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the flavors
> meld together better.

It's not the flavor. I don't like the texture of most stuff after it has
been frozen. I don't really even like frozen vegetables. My parents eat
them now, but growing up we only had canned or fresh.

There is also something about leftovers I just don't like. I don't know
what it is. It's not one particular thing. I have sometimes cooked a lot
of stuff and used the leftovers for days.

When I ate pancakes, I used to make tons and freeze them. Also did the same
with muffins. I just can't eat stuff out of the freezer any more. If I do
try to eat it, I am just put off by it and wind up throwing it out most of
the time.

I did cook up a ton of ground beef and froze it when I went to Costco before
the storm hit. The only ground beef they had came in a huge package. I
normally buy their 3 packs of 1 pound packages and we can usually use them
up before they go bad. Occasionally I have to put one in the freezer where
it usually stays until it has become frost bitten and I throw it out about a
year later. I am sometimes forced to use the frozen meat but it's very
difficult to remove from the package. I never can remember to take it from
the freezer so it thaws and I dislike what the microwave does to meat when
you try to thaw it that way.

Maybe I am just spoiled or something. My step grandpa refused to eat any
leftovers ever. My dad generally wouldn't eat them. Not that we ever had
leftovers in our house except for occasional turkey and meatloaf. We
generally only had meatloaf prior to a road trip and we'd have the leftovers
cold the following day. All these years I assumed my mom made one meatloaf
and we had the leftovers from that. But when I make a meatloaf at home,
there are never any leftovers. I just recently learned that she made two of
them and just stuck the 2nd one straight into the fridge for the next day.

One story that does stand out in my mind was the "spaghetti red". This is
what my family calls macaroni, beef and tomatoes. My grandma came to take
care of us while my mom was in the hospital. She had 8 kids so was used to
cooking huge amounts. She made a pot of this and we had it for breakfast,
lunch and dinner the entire time my mom was gone. She (unlike the other
grandma) didn't believe in wasting food. I got sooo sick of eating that I
couldn't touch the stuff again for years.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:51:09 -0500, "Evelyn" >

> >Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
> >then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
> >prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
> >unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
> >supposed to par boil it.

> My Mum used to boil it once in water for an hour or so, then for
> several hours in milk with lots of onions and black pepper. Used to be
> one of my total favourite foods - I can't find anywhere to buy it from
> any more, I even tried to get it last time I had a 1/4 cow from a
> butcher who does his own killing, but it was all spoken for by the
> restaurant trade!

I'll be having some menudo in a little while, followed by a couple of
tamales. All courtesy of my daughter's MIL. A bottle of Negra Modelo.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> : > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : > : In article >,
> : > : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : >
> : > : > Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
> : > : > meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!
> : >
> : > : I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a
> : > : stew
> : > : to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
> : > : become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
> : > : onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
> : > : should have a decent stew.
> : >
> : > : Priscilla
> : >
> : > I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
> : > turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
> : > potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!
>
> : Come to think of it, I think I do have some white turnips in the back of
> : the fridge. Yellow, too, but that's too good on its own to put in a
> : stew. I can't imagine green pepper in a stew, but I put celery in pot
> : roast, so it should go in stew just fine.
>
> : I like to put green beans in my lamb and goat stew.
>
> : PP
>
> Green peppers are lovely in the stew. they werein the original Joy Of
> Cooking recipe for Gaston beef stew that I developed my own, vegetablier,
> tomatoier one from. Something I also use are a few chole cloves-say 6-8
> That also came from the original recipe.

I put cloves in my Brunswick Stew, but not in my regular stew.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > []
> >> Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it
> >> then throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
> >> prepared tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and
> >> unpleasant. Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was
> >> supposed to par boil it.

> > I suppose you could do that. People soak game foods, including lamb and
> > trout, in buttermilk to get rid of the 'gaminess'. I like to taste what
> > makes one food different from another. Kidney, like shark meat, should be
> > parboiled to remove the urine. Cleaning thoroughly isn't the same. Tripe
> > should be cleaned. I rub between my hands in cold water. Chitlins should
> > be
> > VERY WELL cleaned (don't forget to turn them inside out!), but I never
> > parboil them. YMMV

> I have never eaten chitlins, and probably will never prepare them either,
> but tripe is interesting in pepper pot soup, and I thought I could perhaps
> try for that flavor. I was told by an Italian lady that you throw away the
> first cooking water in order to get rid of the strong gaminess when cooking
> tripe. I haven't tried it, preferring to wait till someone who knew
> exactly could advise me on it.

I've had tripe in Chinese dishes (usually one of the "Eight Delights" or
some such), and it's quite good, but then I've met few Chinese foods I
didn't like- aside from pastries. Too many of the sweet Chinese
pastries are too heavy for me. I had a sweet bean pastry that was deep
fried once, and it was total heaven, but entirely too much for me to
finish.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message

> >>Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

> > Pssst... don't tell 'em...

> They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

Do you use your freezer for anything other than storing ice cream and
making ice cubes?

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are
> not doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the
> flavors meld together better.

Vacuum sealer works great. Also good for cheeses in the 'fridge.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

When I nuke stuff to thaw it, I use 10% to 20% power. To re-heat stuff from
the 'fridge, I use 20% to 30%.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.

>> If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are
>> not doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the
>> flavors meld together better.

> It's not the flavor. I don't like the texture of most stuff after it has
> been frozen. I don't really even like frozen vegetables. My parents eat
> them now, but growing up we only had canned or fresh.
>
> There is also something about leftovers I just don't like. I don't know
> what it is. It's not one particular thing. I have sometimes cooked a lot
> of stuff and used the leftovers for days.
>
> When I ate pancakes, I used to make tons and freeze them. Also did the
> same with muffins. I just can't eat stuff out of the freezer any more. If
> I do try to eat it, I am just put off by it and wind up throwing it out
> most of the time.
>
> I did cook up a ton of ground beef and froze it when I went to Costco
> before the storm hit. The only ground beef they had came in a huge
> package. I normally buy their 3 packs of 1 pound packages and we can
> usually use them up before they go bad. Occasionally I have to put one in
> the freezer where it usually stays until it has become frost bitten and I
> throw it out about a year later. I am sometimes forced to use the frozen
> meat but it's very difficult to remove from the package. I never can
> remember to take it from the freezer so it thaws and I dislike what the
> microwave does to meat when you try to thaw it that way.
>
> Maybe I am just spoiled or something. My step grandpa refused to eat any
> leftovers ever. My dad generally wouldn't eat them. Not that we ever had
> leftovers in our house except for occasional turkey and meatloaf. We
> generally only had meatloaf prior to a road trip and we'd have the
> leftovers cold the following day. All these years I assumed my mom made
> one meatloaf and we had the leftovers from that. But when I make a
> meatloaf at home, there are never any leftovers. I just recently learned
> that she made two of them and just stuck the 2nd one straight into the
> fridge for the next day.
>
> One story that does stand out in my mind was the "spaghetti red". This is
> what my family calls macaroni, beef and tomatoes. My grandma came to take
> care of us while my mom was in the hospital. She had 8 kids so was used
> to cooking huge amounts. She made a pot of this and we had it for
> breakfast, lunch and dinner the entire time my mom was gone. She (unlike
> the other grandma) didn't believe in wasting food. I got sooo sick of
> eating that I couldn't touch the stuff again for years.

I have a lot of sneaky ways to make things differently the next day.

For instance I will roast a chicken in the oven one day. Then after dinner
I will take the meat off all the bones and put it away. Save the gravy
too.

Next day, peel a bunch of really nice fresh root vegetables and cook them in
the gravy with a little water added. Usually carrots, celery, potato,
small whole onions, and a parsnip if I have one on hand, and toss in a
handful of frozen peas for color. Then when the vegetables are all
cooked, I will add the chicken meat cut into nice bite sized chunks.
Thicken the gravy and you have a nice chicken stew that doesn't even vaguely
resemble the roaster you had the night before.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are
>> not doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the
>> flavors meld together better.

> Vacuum sealer works great. Also good for cheeses in the 'fridge.

Since you cook soups long till everything is tender, they improve when
frozen. But if they contain pasta bits, they do not. The pasta gets
soggy. Barley is fine however. Often I will make soups minus any pasta
bits altogether, because I will make noodles or other pasta fresh when I
thaw and serve them.

Another good freezer tip is with a meat roast. I will slice the leftover
meat up, and put it directly into the gravy. You have to be sure that it
is all immersed before you freeze it. It will thaw and serve up
beautifully.... though the gravy may separate at first, as you heat it, it
will reconstitute itself perfectly. Since the meat is immersed in the
gravy before you freeze it, it doesn't lose any flavor at all when frozen.

To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick from
the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then fine, but a
sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the cheesecloth or paper
towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it around the cheese, THEN
place it into a plastic bag. It will not get moldy. What is amazing is
that it absolutely does NOT flavor the cheese with vinegar! Don't know how
or why, but it works.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> When I nuke stuff to thaw it, I use 10% to 20% power. To re-heat stuff
> from
> the 'fridge, I use 20% to 30%.

Absolutely. It thaws so much more evenly when you do that.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:07:03 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:00:46 -0500, "Evelyn"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered.

>> No need to worry him, but you might find this educational:
>> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...and-death.html
>>
>> There is a later paper showing a possible causative link for
>> T2. Just letting you know for awareness.
>>
>> At least he will be eating as you eat at your place.
>>
>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>Hi Alan,
>
>That was interesting reading. Hubby has had gum issues for years, and he
>does now have DM. He's had regular scheduled cleanings forever, and had
>several gum surgeries to correct it, so it isn't from neglect by any means.
>But according to wikipedia this new laser treatment is truly the best way to
>go.
>
>Our dentist is a cutting edge kind of a guy with everything in their office
>being the latest and best. They do the laser treatment on one entire side
>of the mouth, both up and down, then go and do the other side within ten
>days of the first. This is his second half, so he just has to go back for
>a checkup.
>
>It is a VERY expensive procedure. It cost thousands to do it. It also
>took several hours to do it. The good part of having it done with the
>laser is that there is much less pain than the traditional way where they
>cut the gums, and that it is more effective, and supposedly more lasting,
>and heals more quickly. I surely hope this is the case. Wikipedia has
>some information on the laser gum treatment of periodontal disease.

Best wishes. As he has T2 already, maybe he should read
that. I must get around to doing that up-date.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Inspiration)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

>Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

You're serious?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Inspiration)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick from
> the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then fine, but
> a sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the cheesecloth or paper
> towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it around the cheese, THEN
> place it into a plastic bag. It will not get moldy. What is amazing
> is that it absolutely does NOT flavor the cheese with vinegar! Don't
> know how or why, but it works.

Works with bacon, too. Used to do that on long mountaineering hikes. Also
carried a bit of vinegar to wipe any mold off of anything.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > When I nuke stuff to thaw it, I use 10% to 20% power. To re-heat stuff
> > from the 'fridge, I use 20% to 30%.

> Absolutely. It thaws so much more evenly when you do that.

And it doesn't COOK!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: >>>>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......
: >>>>
: >>>> Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.
: >>>
: >>>
: >>
: >> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to me.
: >

If you don't like leftovers, why did you buy a 6 quart crock pot for a
family of three?

Wendy