Old 31-12-2008, 06:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
[]

Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
ingredients on hand.

[]

Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do my
cooking! ;-D

I am the only one around here. Sometimes I can con my husband into helping
a little, but not much. Fortunately I love to cook, and have a large
freezer, which I keep stocked.

This thanksgiving, a local grocery store gave out free turkeys or free hams,
whichever one you wanted. The hams were not low salt, as I'd had that
brand before, and we'd had our fill of turkey already at that point.

So I took a ham thinking I would solve the salt problem some way. It was a
huge ham, far too large for the two of us, so I put off using it till
yesterday. I knew it would be a big job.

I decided to boil the ham to solve the salty problem, and in the process get
a nice big pot of broth for soup. That worked out very well, and once it
was cooked through, I removed the ham to the side to cool.

I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was done.
While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks were
sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added back into
the pea soup.

I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches, whatever.

Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I gave
to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We tend to
like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out really
good.

There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 31-12-2008, 10:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 31 Dec 2008 02:30:18 GMT, Nick Cramer
wrote:

Ingredients

Cheers, Nick - I have an excess of cabbage, and some sea salt, on hand
atm - might give that a go later! I'm not fond of the softness of
bought cabbage.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Old 31-12-2008, 10:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 00:55:15 -0500, "Evelyn"
wrote:

I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was done.
While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks were
sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added back into
the pea soup.

I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches, whatever.

Mmmm! I love ham. We finished the Christmas one yesterday, and I still
have a lot of the broth in the freezer : )

Old 31-12-2008, 10:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:

Ingredients

Cheers, Nick - I have an excess of cabbage, and some sea salt, on hand
atm - might give that a go later! I'm not fond of the softness of
bought cabbage.

It should be the bomb, Nicky! Kim chee isn't much more difficult.

Kim Chee

Ingredients :

1 med Chinese (napa) cabbage head - (about 2 lbs)
4 tsp salt
6 garlic cloves minced
3 green onions, including tops minced
2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs sesame oil
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground toasted Sichuan peppercorns
6 dried chile peppers

Method :

Cut the cabbage lengthwise into sections about 2 inches wide; remove
the core. Cut each section crosswise into 2-inch lengths. Place the
cabbage in a large bowl, sprinkle it with the salt, and toss to mix
well. Cover with an inverted plate and weight it down with a heavy
object, such as a large juice can or a 1-quart jar filled with water.
Let stand for 3 minutes. Lightly rinse the cabbage under cold running
water and drain. Squeeze it to extract most of the liquid.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cabbage
and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a glass bowl or crock. Cover
with an inverted plate and weight down with a heavy object. A large bag of
water will conform nicely to the crock or bowl. Refrigerate for at least 4
days or up to 2 years before eating.

Comments: Kim chee is one of the treasures of Korean cooking; a
Korean meal served without it would seem almost bland. The most
popular vegetable for kim chee is Chinese (napa) cabbage, which is
salted, mixed with spices, and allowed to ferment to the desired
degree of tartness. Serve this spicy side dish in small portions, just
as you would any pickled vegetable.

Yield: 2 1/2 to 3 cups

I added about 1/2 Tbs of fish sauce and used toasted sesame oil.
Steve Wertz [my Texas buddy - makes the best Kim Chee this side of Korea]

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Old 31-12-2008, 01:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting pot
of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it was
done.
While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger chunks were
sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and added back
into
the pea soup.

I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches,
whatever.

Mmmm! I love ham. We finished the Christmas one yesterday, and I still
have a lot of the broth in the freezer : )

Ham is always such a bonus, because the leftovers and the broth is so
useful. If I get a low salt ham, I will bake it serve it, and whatever is
left after slicing off what we want, will go into a pot (still on the bone)
to make ham barley soup. I will put a bag of barley, carrots, parsnips,
celery (with the leaves), onions, a diced potato, a bay leaf, and cook it
till the barley is soft and tender. Remove the ham bone, and take off all
the bits of meat, chop them and add them back to the soup. It is so
delicious that everyone loves it. Most of the time people make pea or
lentil or other type of bean soup from a ham bone, but ham-barley soup is
wonderful too.

I have a great trick when I make any soup; whenever I boil carrots or onions
or potatoes, I save the water I cooked those veggies in, in any old junky
containers and mark them "soup water". Then when I make soup I pop all
those big ice cubes of veggie water into the pot rather than adding tap
water. It makes a much more flavorful soup.

This time of year is really soup weather, and it is a good way to get lots
of good healthy vegetables into your family. I always make a huge pot and
freeze the containers of soup for later use. That way there is always a
variety to choose from. About an hour before lunchtime I take out one
frozen container and put it into a pot on a VERY low heat. By the time
lunchtime rolls around, the soup is hot and ready to serve.

Old 31-12-2008, 04:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Evelyn" wrote:

This time of year is really soup weather, and it is a good way to get lots
of good healthy vegetables into your family. I always make a huge pot and
freeze the containers of soup for later use. That way there is always a
variety to choose from. About an hour before lunchtime I take out one
frozen container and put it into a pot on a VERY low heat. By the time
lunchtime rolls around, the soup is hot and ready to serve.

Yep. It's snowing out and I have all the fixings for kale sausage soup.
I'd better get cracking; it's gonna take the beans a while to cook!

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Old 31-12-2008, 05:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

My BIL used to live in Columbus and my FIL lives up North of there(we
don't keep in touch) My BIL past away last year. You may have heard of the
Brubakers..I hear they are all over PA and Ohio My hubby's family were
Quakers in the early days...then became Brethren. hey have allot of
history but no one thought it important to record it.
We have our dinner on New Years Day since Hubby can't stay up until
midnight..LOL..

Yes! I grew up in northeast Ohio (a rural part of the state, about 65 miles
south and east of Cleveland). We knew some Brubakers.

MaryL

Old 31-12-2008, 07:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:

This time of year is really soup weather, and it is a good way to get
lots
of good healthy vegetables into your family. I always make a huge pot
and
freeze the containers of soup for later use. That way there is always a
variety to choose from. About an hour before lunchtime I take out one
frozen container and put it into a pot on a VERY low heat. By the time
lunchtime rolls around, the soup is hot and ready to serve.

Yep. It's snowing out and I have all the fixings for kale sausage soup.
I'd better get cracking; it's gonna take the beans a while to cook!

Yummy! I made the sausage and escarole soup someone posted here recently,
and it was delicious.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

Wow, you did train them well!

Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical. For
some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps with
the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.

There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells used
to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is time
to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian Wedding
soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.

As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with tripe,
and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make the
others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth with.
The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition of Okra
and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily. The
food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.

The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Evelyn" wrote:

There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells used
to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is time
to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/pro...8&pagenumber=2

PP
Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
: When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
: up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
: That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
: doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
: seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

I would hesitate to eat split pea soup in a restaurant. It is generally
very thick, having been thickened by some additional starch besides he
peas themselves. also watch any creamed spinach in restaurants, as it is
ofen similarly thickened with either flour or cornstarch. I learned this
the hard way some years ago.

I don't make split pea soup anymore, but I do lightly lentiled lentil
soup, usign about half of what the recipe calls for and adding oher less
starchy vegetables. If you like it thck, puree the soup, either partly or
entirely.

Wendy
Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

: "Jacquie" wrote in message
: m...
[...]

: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

Stop! Stop! You are driving me to the soup pot:-) I am getting hungry
just reading all this. Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals! I wil do some
soup for next week which will also last us for quite a few days. I don't
freez a great deal of my soups, just a quart or so, as I have only a top
freezer. In the winter I love eating that way as it reduces the amount
of dinner cooking and makes the time a effort very worth while.

Wendy
Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!

I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a stew
to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
should have a decent stew.

Priscilla