Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Green beans with bacon and onion.

Does anyone have a recipe for this? My grandma used to make this and I
loved it. Had one restaurant in the area that made it as good as hers, but
they are now closed. I have tried repeatedly but they never seem to come
out right. I think my grandma might have started with canned beans. I know
they were cooked till they were mushy. I made fresh beans tonight and was
tempted to try again, but I didn't want another failure. I have seen some
recipes online that contain butter, I am pretty sure she didn't put butter
in hers. I know I wouldn't. I think there's enough fat in the bacon.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My mom used drained canned beans. She would fry up the bacon and add the
onions to the frying bacon, then she threw the beans in and heated it all
together...seasoned to taste.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a recipe for this? My grandma used to make this and I
> loved it. Had one restaurant in the area that made it as good as hers,
> but they are now closed. I have tried repeatedly but they never seem to
> come out right. I think my grandma might have started with canned beans.
> I know they were cooked till they were mushy. I made fresh beans tonight
> and was tempted to try again, but I didn't want another failure. I have
> seen some recipes online that contain butter, I am pretty sure she didn't
> put butter in hers. I know I wouldn't. I think there's enough fat in the
> bacon.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> My mom used drained canned beans. She would fry up the bacon and add the
> onions to the frying bacon, then she threw the beans in and heated it all
> together...seasoned to taste.

Hmmm... I think that's how I did it. Did she cook the bacon till crisp?
Drain the beans? When I've tried it, the flavor of the bacon doesn't seem
to get all through the beans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>"Jacquie" > wrote in message
om...
>> My mom used drained canned beans. She would fry up the bacon and add the
>> onions to the frying bacon, then she threw the beans in and heated it all
>> together...seasoned to taste.

>Hmmm... I think that's how I did it. Did she cook the bacon till crisp?
>Drain the beans? When I've tried it, the flavor of the bacon doesn't seem
>to get all through the beans.

Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have been
common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started the
bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie
> >Bove" > wrote:

>>"Jacquie" > wrote in message
>>news:HpWdnRCNuNUdaNjUnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@earthlink. com...
>>> My mom used drained canned beans. She would fry up the bacon and add the
>>> onions to the frying bacon, then she threw the beans in and heated it
>>> all
>>> together...seasoned to taste.

>>Hmmm... I think that's how I did it. Did she cook the bacon till crisp?
>>Drain the beans? When I've tried it, the flavor of the bacon doesn't seem
>>to get all through the beans.

> Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
> know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
> rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have been
> common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
> all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started the
> bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.

Well, that I don't know. What I got at the restaurant tasted just like hers
though.

One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but then
after I mix it in, it goes all soft.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 15, 4:25*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message

> > Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie
> > >Bove" > wrote:

> >>"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> >>news:HpWdnRCNuNUdaNjUnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@earthlink. com...

> >>Hmmm... *I think that's how I did it. *Did she cook the bacon till crisp?
> >>Drain the beans? *When I've tried it, the flavor of the bacon doesn't seem
> >>to get all through the beans.

> > Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
> > know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
> > rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have been
> > common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
> > all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started the
> > bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.

> Well, that I don't know. *What I got at the restaurant tasted just like hers
> though.
>
> One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but then
> after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
(which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
up again. Hope this helps.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
On Dec 15, 4:25 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message

> > Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie
> > >Bove" > wrote:

> >>"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> >>news:HpWdnRCNuNUdaNjUnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@earthlink. com...

> >>Hmmm... I think that's how I did it. Did she cook the bacon till crisp?
> >>Drain the beans? When I've tried it, the flavor of the bacon doesn't
> >>seem
> >>to get all through the beans.

> > Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
> > know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
> > rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have been
> > common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
> > all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started the
> > bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.

> Well, that I don't know. What I got at the restaurant tasted just like
> hers
> though.
>
> One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but then
> after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
(which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
up again. Hope this helps.

But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? I think I have tried
that too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 15, 9:53*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

> On Dec 15, 4:25 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > "Nicky" > wrote in message

> .. .

> > > Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie

> > > Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
> > > know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
> > > rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have been
> > > common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
> > > all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started the
> > > bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.

> > Well, that I don't know. What I got at the restaurant tasted just like
> > hers
> > though.

> > One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but then
> > after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
> the bacon back in last minute. * If you expose the bacon to water,
> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
> up again. * Hope this helps.
>
> But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? *I think I have tried
> that too.- Hide quoted text -

You could try going to cooks.com and typing in green beans with bacon,
and see how others prepare the recipe.

I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get that
illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very soft,
using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.

Usually on cooks.com there are so many ways of preparing any recipe
there, that you will find one that gives you the taste you like best
if you experiment a bit. Come to mention it, that sounds like a
delicious flavor combination and I might try it myself!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Dec 15, 4:25 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > "Nicky" > wrote in message

> > > Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie

> > > Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
> > > know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
> > > rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have been
> > > common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
> > > all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started the
> > > bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.

> > Well, that I don't know. What I got at the restaurant tasted just like
> > hers
> > though.
> >
> > One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but then
> > after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
> the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
> up again. Hope this helps.
>
> But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? I think I have tried
> that too.

Cook the bacon very slowly, first thing, then take out the bacon and use
that resulting fat to fry the onions in -- in the same pan, with no
cleaning of the pan. When the beans go in, they should exude some
moisture which will deglaze the pan and bring more of the bacon flavor
into the resulting mix. And add back the crispy bacon at the last
minute, as others have said.

I think I've seen this with a teensy dash of soy sauce at the last
minute too.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
On Dec 15, 9:53 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

> On Dec 15, 4:25 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > "Nicky" > wrote in message

> .. .

> > > Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie

> > > Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
> > > know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
> > > rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have been
> > > common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
> > > all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started the
> > > bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.

> > Well, that I don't know. What I got at the restaurant tasted just like
> > hers
> > though.

> > One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but
> > then
> > after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
> the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
> up again. Hope this helps.
>
> But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? I think I have tried
> that too.- Hide quoted text -

You could try going to cooks.com and typing in green beans with bacon,
and see how others prepare the recipe.

I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get that
illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very soft,
using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.

Usually on cooks.com there are so many ways of preparing any recipe
there, that you will find one that gives you the taste you like best
if you experiment a bit. Come to mention it, that sounds like a
delicious flavor combination and I might try it myself!

I did look at those recipes and this is the way I did it, but they call for
fresh beans and perhaps that too was my mistake. No matter how long I cook
fresh beans, I can't get them to come out so Angela will eat them. I must
try the canned.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>> > Well, that I don't know. What I got at the restaurant tasted just like
>> > hers
>> > though.
>> >
>> > One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but
>> > then
>> > after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

>> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
>> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
>> the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
>> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
>> up again. Hope this helps.
>>
>> But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? I think I have
>> tried
>> that too.

> Cook the bacon very slowly, first thing, then take out the bacon and use
> that resulting fat to fry the onions in -- in the same pan, with no
> cleaning of the pan. When the beans go in, they should exude some
> moisture which will deglaze the pan and bring more of the bacon flavor
> into the resulting mix. And add back the crispy bacon at the last
> minute, as others have said.
>
> I think I've seen this with a teensy dash of soy sauce at the last
> minute too.

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>> > Well, that I don't know. What I got at the restaurant tasted just like
>> > hers
>> > though.
>> >
>> > One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but
>> > then
>> > after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

>> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
>> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
>> the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
>> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
>> up again. Hope this helps.
>>
>> But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? I think I have
>> tried
>> that too.

> Cook the bacon very slowly, first thing, then take out the bacon and use
> that resulting fat to fry the onions in -- in the same pan, with no
> cleaning of the pan. When the beans go in, they should exude some
> moisture which will deglaze the pan and bring more of the bacon flavor
> into the resulting mix. And add back the crispy bacon at the last
> minute, as others have said.
>
> I think I've seen this with a teensy dash of soy sauce at the last
> minute too.
>
> PP

That soy sauce addition may just do the trick! Modern bacon isn't like the
old fashioned stuff, not only not as flavorful but not as fatty. I have a
local pork store that sells the real thing up here in the Catskills.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Member

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
"Nicky" wrote in message

Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie
Bove" wrote:

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I always use Applewood smoked bacon that I get at Trader Joe's. This bacon has a tremendous amount of flavor and, in my opinion, is much better tasting than hickory smoked. I fry 2 slices of bacon per can of beans til crisp. Set aside then saute chopped onions til slightly golden. Add the beans, mix well then simmer very slowly for about 10 minutes. Add the bacon pieces and heat through for about 5 minutes to increase bacon flavor. Don't cover the pan after adding the bacon. Be careful about adding salt, the canned beans and bacon are already salted.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
> >> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
> >> the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
> >> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
> >> up again. Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? I think I have
> >> tried
> >> that too.

> > Cook the bacon very slowly, first thing, then take out the bacon and use
> > that resulting fat to fry the onions in -- in the same pan, with no
> > cleaning of the pan. When the beans go in, they should exude some
> > moisture which will deglaze the pan and bring more of the bacon flavor
> > into the resulting mix. And add back the crispy bacon at the last
> > minute, as others have said.
> >
> > I think I've seen this with a teensy dash of soy sauce at the last
> > minute too.
> >
> > PP

> That soy sauce addition may just do the trick! Modern bacon isn't like the
> old fashioned stuff, not only not as flavorful but not as fatty. I have a
> local pork store that sells the real thing up here in the Catskills.

I had a roommate years ago who'd fry a pound of bacon up, maybe add some
onions, then add frozen green beans and soy sauce. I'd be aiming for a
slightly more refined version, though.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
>>> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
>>> the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
>>> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
>>> up again. Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> But then how do you get the bacon flavor throughout? I think I have
>>> tried
>>> that too.

>> Cook the bacon very slowly, first thing, then take out the bacon and use
>> that resulting fat to fry the onions in -- in the same pan, with no
>> cleaning of the pan. When the beans go in, they should exude some
>> moisture which will deglaze the pan and bring more of the bacon flavor
>> into the resulting mix. And add back the crispy bacon at the last
>> minute, as others have said.
>>
>> I think I've seen this with a teensy dash of soy sauce at the last
>> minute too.
>>
>> PP

> That soy sauce addition may just do the trick! Modern bacon isn't like
> the old fashioned stuff, not only not as flavorful but not as fatty. I
> have a local pork store that sells the real thing up here in the
> Catskills.

Can't use soy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"The Drama Queen" > wrote in message

> I always use Applewood smoked bacon that I get at Trader Joe's. This
> bacon has a tremendous amount of flavor and, in my opinion, is much
> better tasting than hickory smoked. I fry 2 slices of bacon per can
> of beans til crisp. Set aside then saute chopped onions til slightly
> golden. Add the beans, mix well then simmer very slowly for about 10
> minutes. Add the bacon pieces and heat through for about 5 minutes to
> increase bacon flavor. Don't cover the pan after adding the bacon. Be
> careful about adding salt, the canned beans and bacon are already
> salted.

I will try that kind. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"The Drama Queen" > wrote in message

> Evelyn;1236000 Wrote:
>> On Dec 15, 4:25*am, "Julie Bove" wrote:-
>> "Nicky" wrote in message

>> --
>> Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:17:45 -0800, "Julie
>> Bove" wrote:--
>> --
>> "Jacquie" wrote in message
>> m...
>> My mom used drained canned beans. She would fry up the bacon and add
>> the
>> onions to the frying bacon, then she threw the beans in and heated
>> it
>> all
>> together...seasoned to taste.--
>> --
>> Hmmm... *I think that's how I did it. *Did she cook the bacon till
>> crisp?
>> Drain the beans? *When I've tried it, the flavor of the bacon doesn't
>> seem
>> to get all through the beans.--
>> -
>> Was the quality of the bacon better in your grandmother's day? - I
>> know I have to alter my mother's recipes if I'm using packet bacon,
>> rather than the strongly-tasting dry cured bacon that would have
>> been
>> common then. Packet bacon needs more of it, and cooking first until
>> all the water's cooked out. And mine would absolutely have started
>> the
>> bacon cooking with a small amount of butter.-
>>
>> Well, that I don't know. *What I got at the restaurant tasted just
>> like hers
>> though.
>>
>> One problem I have when I make it, is I fry the bacon till crisp, but
>> then
>> after I mix it in, it goes all soft.- Hide quoted text -

>> Julie you could fry the bacon crisp, then remove and reserve it till
>> after the onions are fried, the beans added and heated up, then put
>> the bacon back in last minute. If you expose the bacon to water,
>> (which is in the onion and also in the beans), it will tend to soften
>> up again. Hope this helps.
>>
>> Evelyn

> > I always use Applewood smoked bacon that I get at Trader Joe's. This

> bacon has a tremendous amount of flavor and, in my opinion, is much
> better tasting than hickory smoked. I fry 2 slices of bacon per can
> of beans til crisp. Set aside then saute chopped onions til slightly
> golden. Add the beans, mix well then simmer very slowly for about 10
> minutes. Add the bacon pieces and heat through for about 5 minutes to
> increase bacon flavor. Don't cover the pan after adding the bacon. Be
> careful about adding salt, the canned beans and bacon are already
> salted.

> --
> The Drama Queen

I am going to try that!
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:19:22 -0800 (PST), Evelyn
> wrote:

>I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
>green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get that
>illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
>need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very soft,
>using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.

Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
- things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:19:22 -0800 (PST), Evelyn
> > wrote:
>
>>I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
>>green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get that
>>illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
>>need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very soft,
>>using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.

> Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
> - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
> green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?

I don't know what French beans are. We get French style or French cut beans
which are just green beans (formerly sting beans but they no longer have the
string) cut into thin strips.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

>>> Cook the bacon very slowly, first thing, then take out the bacon and use
>>> that resulting fat to fry the onions in -- in the same pan, with no
>>> cleaning of the pan. When the beans go in, they should exude some
>>> moisture which will deglaze the pan and bring more of the bacon flavor
>>> into the resulting mix. And add back the crispy bacon at the last
>>> minute, as others have said.
>>>
>>> I think I've seen this with a teensy dash of soy sauce at the last
>>> minute too.
>>>
>>> PP

>> That soy sauce addition may just do the trick! Modern bacon isn't like
>> the old fashioned stuff, not only not as flavorful but not as fatty. I
>> have a local pork store that sells the real thing up here in the
>> Catskills.

> Can't use soy.

Could a few people who use Marmite and Vegemite tell you if they are
likely to have a similar flavor, if you're not allergic to yeast?

Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles wrote:
> Could a few people who use Marmite and Vegemite tell you if they are
> likely to have a similar flavor, if you're not allergic to yeast?
>
> Robert

Very similar flavor, slightly different texture, Vegemite is a more
solid texture and slightly saltier I think and probably a stronger taste
overall, neither taste or smell of yeast to me. I think you will find
the yeast used is the same as used in the brewing of beer, in days past
I remember Kraft trucks loading yeast at a local brewery. Of course no
prizes for guessing which is best :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:19:22 -0800 (PST), Evelyn
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
>>>green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get that
>>>illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
>>>need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very soft,
>>>using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.

>> Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
>> - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
>> green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?

> I don't know what French beans are. We get French style or French cut
> beans which are just green beans (formerly sting beans but they no longer
> have the string) cut into thin strips.

Here are three different things to do with green beans.

I like the Italian style green beans too. Wider, flatter and cut into 1/2
inch lengths, like little squares. I can only find them at the shop rite,
in the freezer case around here, but the flavor is wonderful. I bet they'd
be a good candidate to make with the bacon and onions. Even just cooked,
drained and served with butter, salt and pepper, they are so good!

*********

My grandmother used to make a different dish with green beans. She'd
pre-cook the green beans, while sautee-ing chopped onions in butter in a
frying pan. Then she would toss the green beans with the fried onions and
butter, season it generously, then sprinkle a bit of flour into the bottom
of the pan to absorb the butter, and added back some of the bean liquid to
that, to make a sort of a sauce. It's really delicious.

**********

Another wonderful thing to do with fresh green beans.....put the fresh beans
into a pot. Add a can of tomatoes, a bit of olive oil, a chopped onion, a
sliced clove of garlic and a dash of oregano and basil, salt and pepper, and
cook the beans in that combination of tomatoes and spices. Even bean
haters will love it.

Green beans are so delicious. I can easily say they are my favorite
vegetable.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Here are three different things to do with green beans.
>
> I like the Italian style green beans too. Wider, flatter and cut into
> 1/2 inch lengths, like little squares. I can only find them at the shop
> rite, in the freezer case around here, but the flavor is wonderful. I
> bet they'd be a good candidate to make with the bacon and onions. Even
> just cooked, drained and served with butter, salt and pepper, they are so
> good!

I like those too, but Angela won't eat them.

> *********
>
> My grandmother used to make a different dish with green beans. She'd
> pre-cook the green beans, while sautee-ing chopped onions in butter in a
> frying pan. Then she would toss the green beans with the fried onions
> and butter, season it generously, then sprinkle a bit of flour into the
> bottom of the pan to absorb the butter, and added back some of the bean
> liquid to that, to make a sort of a sauce. It's really delicious.

Since I can't eat butter, that one is out.
> **********
>
> Another wonderful thing to do with fresh green beans.....put the fresh
> beans into a pot. Add a can of tomatoes, a bit of olive oil, a chopped
> onion, a sliced clove of garlic and a dash of oregano and basil, salt and
> pepper, and cook the beans in that combination of tomatoes and spices.
> Even bean haters will love it.

I would like that too, but Angela wouldn't eat it.

> Green beans are so delicious. I can easily say they are my favorite
> vegetable.

They're Angela's favorite vegetable so long as they come out of a can.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
: >green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get that
: >illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
: >need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very soft,
: >using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.

: Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
: - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
: green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?

: Nicky.

that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>

>> Here are three different things to do with green beans.
>>
>> I like the Italian style green beans too. Wider, flatter and cut into
>> 1/2 inch lengths, like little squares. I can only find them at the shop
>> rite, in the freezer case around here, but the flavor is wonderful. I
>> bet they'd be a good candidate to make with the bacon and onions. Even
>> just cooked, drained and served with butter, salt and pepper, they are so
>> good!

> I like those too, but Angela won't eat them.
>>
>> *********
>>
>> My grandmother used to make a different dish with green beans. She'd
>> pre-cook the green beans, while sautee-ing chopped onions in butter in a
>> frying pan. Then she would toss the green beans with the fried onions
>> and butter, season it generously, then sprinkle a bit of flour into the
>> bottom of the pan to absorb the butter, and added back some of the bean
>> liquid to that, to make a sort of a sauce. It's really delicious.
>>

> Since I can't eat butter, that one is out.
>> **********
>>
>> Another wonderful thing to do with fresh green beans.....put the fresh
>> beans into a pot. Add a can of tomatoes, a bit of olive oil, a chopped
>> onion, a sliced clove of garlic and a dash of oregano and basil, salt and
>> pepper, and cook the beans in that combination of tomatoes and spices.
>> Even bean haters will love it.

> I would like that too, but Angela wouldn't eat it.
>>
>> Green beans are so delicious. I can easily say they are my favorite
>> vegetable.

> They're Angela's favorite vegetable so long as they come out of a can.

With a little ingenuity you can make substitutions for some things.

You can substitute olive oil instead of butter since you can't have butter.

With the Italian style recipe, cook the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic spices
and onions first, and add some canned beans later for your daughter. They
will pick up the italian flavors quickly enough.

You might try overcooking fresh beans long enough that they taste more like
canned. I know I usually dislike green beans in a restaurant because they
keep them too crispy for my taste. The flavor gets more mellow with long
cooking too. That may be what Angela likes about the canned beans.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > My grandmother used to make a different dish with green beans. She'd
> > pre-cook the green beans, while sautee-ing chopped onions in butter in a
> > frying pan. Then she would toss the green beans with the fried onions
> > and butter, season it generously, then sprinkle a bit of flour into the
> > bottom of the pan to absorb the butter, and added back some of the bean
> > liquid to that, to make a sort of a sauce. It's really delicious.
> >

> Since I can't eat butter, that one is out.

Use olive oil or some other fat then.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Here are three different things to do with green beans.
>>>
>>> I like the Italian style green beans too. Wider, flatter and cut into
>>> 1/2 inch lengths, like little squares. I can only find them at the
>>> shop rite, in the freezer case around here, but the flavor is wonderful.
>>> I bet they'd be a good candidate to make with the bacon and onions.
>>> Even just cooked, drained and served with butter, salt and pepper, they
>>> are so good!

>> I like those too, but Angela won't eat them.
>>>
>>> *********
>>>
>>> My grandmother used to make a different dish with green beans. She'd
>>> pre-cook the green beans, while sautee-ing chopped onions in butter in a
>>> frying pan. Then she would toss the green beans with the fried onions
>>> and butter, season it generously, then sprinkle a bit of flour into the
>>> bottom of the pan to absorb the butter, and added back some of the bean
>>> liquid to that, to make a sort of a sauce. It's really delicious.
>>>

>> Since I can't eat butter, that one is out.
>>> **********
>>>
>>> Another wonderful thing to do with fresh green beans.....put the fresh
>>> beans into a pot. Add a can of tomatoes, a bit of olive oil, a chopped
>>> onion, a sliced clove of garlic and a dash of oregano and basil, salt
>>> and pepper, and cook the beans in that combination of tomatoes and
>>> spices. Even bean haters will love it.

>> I would like that too, but Angela wouldn't eat it.
>>>
>>> Green beans are so delicious. I can easily say they are my favorite
>>> vegetable.

>> They're Angela's favorite vegetable so long as they come out of a can.

> With a little ingenuity you can make substitutions for some things.
>
> You can substitute olive oil instead of butter since you can't have
> butter.
>
> With the Italian style recipe, cook the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic spices
> and onions first, and add some canned beans later for your daughter.
> They will pick up the italian flavors quickly enough.
>
> You might try overcooking fresh beans long enough that they taste more
> like canned. I know I usually dislike green beans in a restaurant
> because they keep them too crispy for my taste. The flavor gets more
> mellow with long cooking too. That may be what Angela likes about the
> canned beans.

Angela hates cooked tomatoes and won't eat anything with them in it. And
even if I overcook the fresh green beans, she won't touch them. I think she
remembers the time I waaay oversalted the fresh green beans. That's when
this started. I remember telling my husband (who oversalts everything, IMO)
to taste them before he salted. He didn't and began screaming. Now when
she sees fresh green beans, she remembers that incident.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > My grandmother used to make a different dish with green beans. She'd
>> > pre-cook the green beans, while sautee-ing chopped onions in butter in
>> > frying pan. Then she would toss the green beans with the fried
>> > onions
>> > and butter, season it generously, then sprinkle a bit of flour into the
>> > bottom of the pan to absorb the butter, and added back some of the bean
>> > liquid to that, to make a sort of a sauce. It's really delicious.
>> >

>> Since I can't eat butter, that one is out.

> Use olive oil or some other fat then.

Okay.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:16:11 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Nicky > wrote:
>: Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
>: - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
>: green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?
>
>: Nicky.
>
>that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!

I'm expanding my culinary gardening efforts to include them this year.
I want to grow them up a trellis, the flowers look pretty enough to
display and they can hide my bins!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nicky > wrote:
> : Evelyn > wrote:
>
> : >I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
> : >green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get that
> : >illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
> : >need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very soft,
> : >using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.
>
> : Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
> : - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
> : green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?
>
> : Nicky.
>
> that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!

As a kid, during WW II, I hated them! You could make shoelaces out of the
'strings'! <gag, choke, puke>

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:16:11 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:
>
> >Nicky > wrote:
> >: Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
> >: - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
> >: green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?
> >
> >: Nicky.
> >
> >that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!

> I'm expanding my culinary gardening efforts to include them this year.
> I want to grow them up a trellis, the flowers look pretty enough to
> display and they can hide my bins!

Ah, yes, I had a wonderful crop of pole beans this year; as well as some
bush beans. For the bush beans, I got a packet of mixed seeds, so I had
green, purple, and wax (yellow) beans; of course, the purple ones turn
green when they cook, but they sure look pretty!

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >Nicky > wrote:
: >: Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
: >: - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
: >: green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?
: >
: >: Nicky.
: >
: >that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!

: I'm expanding my culinary gardening efforts to include them this year.
: I want to grow them up a trellis, the flowers look pretty enough to
: display and they can hide my bins!

: Nicky.

Sounds lke a good idea. When you plant them do them at about 2 week
intervals so you have a longer lastng supply. They can't go in as early
as peas or lettuce, spinach, etc, but with successive plantings can give
you a long season. They als freeze well if you get too many to use at
once.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Nicky > wrote:
: > : Evelyn > wrote:
: >
[...]

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

You had to remove the strings, like I still do with sugar snap peas.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:16:11 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:
>
>>Nicky > wrote:
>>: Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or similar
>>: - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
>>: green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green lentil?
>>
>>: Nicky.
>>
>>that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!

> I'm expanding my culinary gardening efforts to include them this year.
> I want to grow them up a trellis, the flowers look pretty enough to
> display and they can hide my bins!

I grew wax beans one year, but I use Earthboxes and I got very few beans for
the amount of space they took up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > Nicky > wrote:
> : > : Evelyn > wrote:
> : >
> : > : >I think that it is an illusion that the bacon taste is "within" the
> : > : >green beans. You will probably need to use canned beans to get
> that
> : > : >illusion of the salty bacon taste, rather than fresh, or you would
> : > : >need to really overcook the fresh ones till they get very, very
> soft,
> : > : >using salt in the water to infuse that salty taste.
> : >
> : > : Just as a matter of interest, are we talking French beans, or
> similar
> : > : - things that I would top and tail and boil for 3-4 min max, or a
> : > : green kind of pulse that needs a lot of cooking, like a green
> lentil?
> : >
> : > : Nicky.
> : >
> : > that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!
>
> : As a kid, during WW II, I hated them! You could make shoelaces out of
> the
> : 'strings'! <gag, choke, puke>
>
> : --
> : Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> You had to remove the strings, like I still do with sugar snap peas.

What happened to the strings? I know they're gone, but... Where did they
go?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 Dec 2008 23:50:50 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>"W. Baker" > wrote:
>> that's why I call them by thier old name, stringbeans!

>As a kid, during WW II, I hated them! You could make shoelaces out of the
>'strings'! <gag, choke, puke>

I have a cool handheld tool, exactly the same as the one my mother
used to use - you push the bean through, it slices the good bits of
the bean into a bowl, and the two strings are diverted off to either
side. Is a fun toy - and makes an excellent spaghetti substitute : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message

>> You had to remove the strings, like I still do with sugar snap peas.

> What happened to the strings? I know they're gone, but... Where did they
> go?

Bred out, like burpy cukes and starchy corn and bitter eggplants and...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(biology)

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"percy" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message

>>> You had to remove the strings, like I still do with sugar snap peas.

>> What happened to the strings? I know they're gone, but... Where did
>> they go?

> Bred out, like burpy cukes and starchy corn and bitter eggplants and...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(biology)

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Nick Cramer > wrote:
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > : > Nicky > wrote:
: > : > : Evelyn > wrote:
: > : >
[...]
: > : --
: > : Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
: >
: > You had to remove the strings, like I still do with sugar snap peas.

: What happened to the strings? I know they're gone, but... Where did they
: go?

Cross breeding and genetics.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic