Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Brisket

Anyone have a good recipe for brisket?

I bought one today and will be cooking it tomorrow.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> Anyone have a good recipe for brisket?
>
> I bought one today and will be cooking it tomorrow.

This is the family favorite. You can substitute sugar-free ketchup but
it's a small amount and it's in the sauce.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brisket

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :3:00
Categories : beef Meat

1 3 lb brisket of beef -- flat cut
1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Recipe Mix
1/4 cup Heinz Ketchup
3/4 cup water
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 cup dry red wine -- optional
4 bay leaves
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
2 tsps granulated garlic
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Place meat in a slow cooker or in aluminum foil in a shallow pan. Mix
ketchup and water and pour over meat. Add spices and vinegar. Cook on
low in slow cooker for 6 hours or in oven, wrapped with foil, for 3 hrs.
Slice and serve.

NOTES : Check periodically to see if it needs more water.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks so much Janet. This one looks nice and easy. I am going to try
this too!

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> Anyone have a good recipe for brisket?
>>
>> I bought one today and will be cooking it tomorrow.

> This is the family favorite. You can substitute sugar-free ketchup but
> it's a small amount and it's in the sauce.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Brisket
>
> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :3:00
> Categories : beef Meat

> 1 3 lb brisket of beef -- flat cut
> 1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Recipe Mix
> 1/4 cup Heinz Ketchup
> 3/4 cup water
> 1 tsp vinegar
> 1/4 cup dry red wine -- optional
> 4 bay leaves
> 1/4 tsp dried thyme
> 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
> 2 tsps granulated garlic
> 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
>
> Place meat in a slow cooker or in aluminum foil in a shallow pan. Mix
> ketchup and water and pour over meat. Add spices and vinegar. Cook on
> low in slow cooker for 6 hours or in oven, wrapped with foil, for 3 hrs.
> Slice and serve.
>
> NOTES : Check periodically to see if it needs more water.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: Susan thanks so much! They both look really good, and I am saving this
: post to try one. The recipes I looked up on cooks.com were all loaded with
: brown sugar. Not for me!
: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

I have a great family recipe with no sweetening other than 3-4 fresh or
canned tomatoes. It is ind of long and involved. You can find it on the
www.jewishfood-list.com under the name caramelized brisket. I am no good
at copying urls so I can't get it and send it. If someone else wants to
do this little job for everyone, feel free:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : Susan thanks so much! They both look really good, and I am saving this
> : post to try one. The recipes I looked up on cooks.com were all loaded
> with
> : brown sugar. Not for me!
> : --
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> I have a great family recipe with no sweetening other than 3-4 fresh or
> canned tomatoes. It is ind of long and involved. You can find it on the
> www.jewishfood-list.com under the name caramelized brisket. I am no good
> at copying urls so I can't get it and send it. If someone else wants to
> do this little job for everyone, feel free:-)
>
> Wendy

Wendy I found it right away

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...caramel01.html

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wendy, I am copying it here in case anyone else wants to try this. It
sounds delicious.

Thanks again,
Ev

Brisket, Caramelized (M, KLP, TNT)
Source: Celia C. Wisan to W. Baker
Serves: 6-12 depending on the size of the brisket
1 first cut brisket or top of the rib-3-7 lbs.
2-4 garlic cloves, peeled
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1-3 onions thinly sliced
3-4 fresh tomatoes (summer) or 4-5 canned plum tomatoes drained. Use juice
for another recipe. Do not use more tomatoes
1-3 bay leaves

At least one day before cooking, put slivers of garlic in slits all over the
brisket. Rub it well with freshly ground black pepper and optionally, salt.
Slice onions and arrange all over and under the roast. Marinate covered in
the fridge overnight.

Day of cooking: Preheat oven to 500°F--that's 500°!

Put meat in a roasting pan with a cover and arrange the onion slices from
the night before all around.

Squash either 3 medium fresh tomatoes or use about 4 canned egg tomatoes and
squash them. DO NOT ADD THE JUICE FROM THE CAN. ADD NO OTHER LIQUID add a
bay leaf or two.

Cover the pan and put it into the very hot oven. After 15 minutes turn down
the oven without opening it to 350°F. Cook for approximately 3 hours. If you
look in after 2 hours or so you will see a gray mass with lots of liquid.
Don't worry. Just keep cooking.

When the water has disappeared and the meat and onions etc. are browned, but
not quite burnt, and the meat is soft to a fork, it is done.

Remove the meat from the pan and make gravy by deglazing the pan with lots
of water (more than a quart to start, it can always be reduced) and cooking
it down until it tastes rich and nice to you. It should make plenty of gravy
as the pan drippings are intensely strong.

Slice the meat across the grain and serve with the gravy. Roast potatoes or
kasha go well with this.

This lends itself to preparation ahead of time and freezes well. When
reheating, bring the sliced meat to room temperature and heat the gravy to
boiling. Then pour it over the meat. Heating the meat in the gravy gives it
a boiled rather than roasted taste and is not as good. It makes an excellent
Seder meal as it can be prepared in advance.

Posted by Wendy Baker

Nutritional Info Per Serving: N/A

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> Anyone have a good recipe for brisket?
>
> I bought one today and will be cooking it tomorrow.

Hi Evelyn,

The place to learn about cooking brisket is alt.food.barbecue. I think
Jacquie goes there and/or alt.binaries.food. They don't just talk BBQ. They
also talk about cooking with gas, electric, IR, rotisserie and oven
cooking. If you go there, I would suggest not talking about boiling it or
using Liquid Smoke, until they get to know you. ;-)

This is about the way I do brisket, too. I use an offset smoker with
Mesquite lump charcoal for heat and a mix of chunks of Lime and Hickory
wood for smoke. I only add smoke for the first couple of hours, as once the
meat gets up to about 145F, it's not gonna take on any more. I try to BBQ
it at between 225 and 250F, to an internal temp of 190F. The temp rise of
the meat will slow down at around 165F. That's when the collagen starts to
break down. Anyhow, here it is:

Here is an review on doing brisket by a dedicated q'r from Texas.
Brisket:

Beef Brisket by Rev Belly
I think that beef brisket belongs to Texas like peanuts to Georgia and
pulled pork to North Carolina. But did you know, 'till about forty years
ago brisket was a worthless cut of meat that most folks would just discard
or grind into hamburger meat? Down in the hill country of Texas, ol'
brother Wolf was buying all the brisket he could get to make his chili
with. Then about 1950 two German brothers who had a meat market began
cooking BBQ in their market to use up left over meat. One got the idea to
smoke a brisket as he was smoking sausage one weekend. He left it all
weekend in his smokehouse and on Monday as they were serving their que,
pork, sausage & chicken, he cut a slice & put on each lunch.. Everyone
began telling him how good and tender it was. With that they began to cook
beef brisket for BBQ. So Texas owes the two German meat market brothers
from the hills of Texas for our Beef Brisket BBQ. Now-a-days, like lots of
things, the briskets of today are so much improved over time. The brisket
of old time was over half fat, but with the better cows of these days we
get lots better beef brisket. Still, the only way to make them good &
tender is good, slow cooking over hardwood smoke. Here's the way this ol'
Texan tries to cook good beef brisket.

Cooking Beef Brisket

1) Fat and marbling: Choose a brisket which has most of the fat down in the
meat and not all fat on the outside. You do need a layer of fat on the
outside too. Fat inside the meat will help keep it moist, so you still need
some fat both on inside & outside, But remember selecting a good brisket is
half the technique of good Que.

2) Size: A real good size is a brisket from 6 to 10 pounds, big or small
will be more of a personal choice. Just remember that slow cooking for 1
1/2 to 2 hours per pound is a pretty fair time table for cooking a brisket
at 225 dez (degrees F.)

3) Seasoning: There are as many ideas on the best way to season a brisket
as there are brisket cooks. No two will do the same and very few will do it
the same way two times in a row: You can Marinate, dry rub or both; or
sprinkle it with spices; or do all three. I, myself do a little of it all.

3A) Marinate: May be a store bought marinade or maybe your own. I use a mix
of Beer, Dr. Waco (similar to Dr. Pepper) and Willingham's marinade & let
marinate overnight. Dry it off next morning & let it set for about half
hour. [Evelyn - I don't marinate. I wipe the brisket with a thin coating of
Cheap Yellow Mustard to hold on the spices and use a rub of garlic, salt
and fresh ground black pepper. I seal it in a large Baggie and leave it in
the 'fridge o.vernight]

3B) Dry Rub: I use a mix of Garlic power, black pepper, salt, cumin, red
pepper & a little brown sugar. There are lots of good dry rub out there on
the market. Try them.

4) Fi It don't make a big difference what or how you are cooking as long
as you have a good low long-time steady heat; may it be wood, electric or
gas. I, my-self, have for the last twenty-five years used a wood fire in
everything from a barrel, to a washpot, to a high dollar pit. I still say
you can cook as good of que in anything as long as you watch your fire.
What you want is a good stead low fire with a temperature of 200 to 225
dez.

5) Cooking: Well, I have found that I do better with my brisket if I cook
it about an hour per pound on a good low fire of hardwood and then wrap it
in foil and put it in a dry ice chest for up to eight hours. If I slow cook
my brisket for 18 to 20 hours, they are always too dry for me. But
remember, any ol' boy can be like the blind dog an find a better way to do
it. Good smoke will have a sweet flavor & that's what you want; not a
bitter flavor. You will get a (smoke) ring of 1/32 to 1/2 inch most time.
The smoke ring is the result of a chemical reaction between smoke & Air
(nitrogen). This don't make a big different in the taste of your brisket
but do make a better looking brisket, different seasoning will make a
difference in the size of your ring.

6) Presentation: Last, but not to be overlooked, is the presentation of
your brisket. I don't care if it is just for your wife & kids or your
mother-in-law or your boss or if you are in a million dollar cook-off, A
brisket that is half bad, will be come extra good if it is sliced and
presented right. Always slice your brisket across the grain of the meat
(start on a corner of the flat part). This is very important as it makes it
a more palatable & tender slice of meat. Remember, a good BBQ brisket don't
need a sauce poured over it, serve it on the side.

Adios: Now that's way we do it up the Paluxy River in the hills of Texas.
Think I'll cook some BBQ: Beef that is. Billy W (Belly) Maynard

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> Wendy, I am copying it here in case anyone else wants to try this. It
> sounds delicious.
>
> Thanks again,
> Ev
>
> Brisket, Caramelized (M, KLP, TNT)
> Source: Celia C. Wisan to W. Baker
> [ . . . ]
>
> At least one day before cooking, put slivers of garlic in slits all over
> the brisket. Rub it well with freshly ground black pepper and optionally,
> salt. Slice onions and arrange all over and under the roast. Marinate
> covered in the fridge overnight.

Marinate in what? Or is this a dry rub marinade, like I also use?

[ . . . ]
> When the water has disappeared and the meat and onions etc. are browned,
> but not quite burnt, and the meat is soft to a fork, it is done.

[ . . . ]

Does 'water' refer to the liquid that's run out of the meat and onions?

This is the best of the recipes I've seen posted in this thread, except
mine, of course. ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick, that sounds positively wonderful, and I can tell you are a brisket
master just by your post. I think I will end up going for a slow oven
instead, this time around. It's a bit chilly up north here for BBQ just
now. But I am saving your post along with the others for when I am feeling
a bit more ambitious and a warmer time of year! Thanks so much!

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]

> mother-in-law or your boss or if you are in a million dollar cook-off, A
> brisket that is half bad, will be come extra good if it is sliced and
> presented right. Always slice your brisket across the grain of the meat
> (start on a corner of the flat part). This is very important as it makes
> it
> a more palatable & tender slice of meat. Remember, a good BBQ brisket
> don't
> need a sauce poured over it, serve it on the side.
>
> Adios: Now that's way we do it up the Paluxy River in the hills of Texas.
> Think I'll cook some BBQ: Beef that is. Billy W (Belly) Maynard
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> Nick, that sounds positively wonderful, and I can tell you are a brisket
> master just by your post. I think I will end up going for a slow oven
> instead, this time around. It's a bit chilly up north here for BBQ just
> now. But I am saving your post along with the others for when I am
> feeling a bit more ambitious and a warmer time of year! Thanks so much!
> [ . . . ]

That'll work fine, Evelyn. I'm not a master, although I've done a few.
Waiting for the internal meat temp to get up to 192F causes a lot of
drinking!

Try to keep the oven temp at around 250F. Get a couple of remote reading
thermometers at Target or online. One to measure oven temp, the other to
watch the internal temp of the brisket. I think one brand is Taylor.
They're all Polder knockoffs. You can check the accuracy by sticking the
probe in a glass of ice water (32F) and then in a pot of boiling water
(212F).

To add smoke flavor in the oven, take a big handful of wood chip (do NOT
soak them!) and seal them in a couple of layers of aluminum foil. Poke
several _small_ holes in what will be the top of the pouch and set it in
the bottom of the oven. Someone once told me that if the tree produces
fruit or a nut you like to eat, it is a good candidate as a smoking wood.
Sounds like good advice to me. Pecan, apple, peach, citrus and hickory are
all good. So is mesquite if you're a real Texan! ;-D

If you can, post a pic or three on alt.binaries.food, with a description of
what you did and how it turned out. Or without the pics on
alt.food.barbecue. You'll get mostly really nice comments and a few others.

ENJOY!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

OK after reading all the posts here, I decided to sort of stew it. Didn't
want to run the oven for such a small brisket, and stovetop has worked for
me before with the same cut, made into corned beef. I was planning to be
home all day, so no problem.

I took a bit of Marsala wine, some Ketchup, and some Teriyaki sauce, and
combined these together in a dutch oven along with a huge cut up onion and a
couple of cloves of fresh garlic and added a touch more water to it.
Didn't cover the meat, but I turned the piece of meat a couple of times over
the cooking time.

I stewed the beef in this for several hours. The gravy is absolutely to
die for, and the meat is so tender you can't believe. Cutting it across
the grain works well, as I took one test slice.

I am serving this in about an hour. Hubby tasted the liquid and he is
chomping at the bit waiting for me to thicken the gravy and serve it, which
I will do with a little flour and water slurry in a few minutes.

I know it is a variation from all the other recipes I saved, but this came
out absolutely delicious. I think it would be great with noodles, but we
are only going to have one small baked potato apiece and some fresh green
beans.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> Nick, that sounds positively wonderful, and I can tell you are a brisket
>> master just by your post. I think I will end up going for a slow oven
>> instead, this time around. It's a bit chilly up north here for BBQ just
>> now. But I am saving your post along with the others for when I am
>> feeling a bit more ambitious and a warmer time of year! Thanks so much!
>> [ . . . ]

> That'll work fine, Evelyn. I'm not a master, although I've done a few.
> Waiting for the internal meat temp to get up to 192F causes a lot of
> drinking!
>
> Try to keep the oven temp at around 250F. Get a couple of remote reading
> thermometers at Target or online. One to measure oven temp, the other to
> watch the internal temp of the brisket. I think one brand is Taylor.
> They're all Polder knockoffs. You can check the accuracy by sticking the
> probe in a glass of ice water (32F) and then in a pot of boiling water
> (212F).
>
> To add smoke flavor in the oven, take a big handful of wood chip (do NOT
> soak them!) and seal them in a couple of layers of aluminum foil. Poke
> several _small_ holes in what will be the top of the pouch and set it in
> the bottom of the oven. Someone once told me that if the tree produces
> fruit or a nut you like to eat, it is a good candidate as a smoking wood.
> Sounds like good advice to me. Pecan, apple, peach, citrus and hickory are
> all good. So is mesquite if you're a real Texan! ;-D
>
> If you can, post a pic or three on alt.binaries.food, with a description
> of
> what you did and how it turned out. Or without the pics on
> alt.food.barbecue. You'll get mostly really nice comments and a few
> others.
>
> ENJOY!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
See my interleafings-W

: "Evelyn" > wrote:
: > Wendy, I am copying it here in case anyone else wants to try this. It
: > sounds delicious.
: >
: > Thanks again,
: > Ev
: >
: > Brisket, Caramelized (M, KLP, TNT)
: > Source: Celia C. Wisan to W. Baker
: > [ . . . ]
: >
: > At least one day before cooking, put slivers of garlic in slits all over
: > the brisket. Rub it well with freshly ground black pepper and optionally,
: > salt. Slice onions and arrange all over and under the roast. Marinate
: > covered in the fridge overnight.

: Marinate in what? Or is this a dry rub marinade, like I also use?

Dry marinade on onions an, garlic and black pepper. As I use kosher meat
whih has been soaked and salted I add no salt, but ou may wish to add some
here.
: [ . . . ]
: > When the water has disappeared and the meat and onions etc. are browned,
: > but not quite burnt, and the meat is soft to a fork, it is done.
: [ . . . ]

: Does 'water' refer to the liquid that's run out of the meat and onions?

Yup! If the meat is soft, but there is still a lot of watery stuff, crack
the top of the pot to reduce the liquid so the outside can get a slight
crust.

: This is the best of the recipes I've seen posted in this thread, except
: mine, of course. ;-)

Well, that's what I think:-) Don't know about yours, however!

Wendy
: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> OK after reading all the posts here, I decided to sort of stew it.
> Didn't want to run the oven for such a small brisket, and stovetop has
> worked for me before with the same cut, made into corned beef. I was
> planning to be home all day, so no problem.
>
> I took a bit of Marsala wine, some Ketchup, and some Teriyaki sauce, and
> combined these together in a dutch oven along with a huge cut up onion
> and a couple of cloves of fresh garlic and added a touch more water to
> it. Didn't cover the meat, but I turned the piece of meat a couple of
> times over the cooking time.
>
> I stewed the beef in this for several hours. The gravy is absolutely to
> die for, and the meat is so tender you can't believe. Cutting it across
> the grain works well, as I took one test slice.
>
> I am serving this in about an hour. Hubby tasted the liquid and he is
> chomping at the bit waiting for me to thicken the gravy and serve it,
> which I will do with a little flour and water slurry in a few minutes.
>
> I know it is a variation from all the other recipes I saved, but this
> came out absolutely delicious. I think it would be great with noodles,
> but we are only going to have one small baked potato apiece and some
> fresh green beans.

Brisket makes a wonderful corned beef. Anyone who uses Marsala wine,
instead of Sherry, is OK in my book, Evelyn! Your method, as described,
sounds pretty good, although I'd pass on the ketchup.

A couple for your consideration:

Corning beef (or pork)

Preserving meat for winter by soaking in salt brine is a time-honored
method. Corning is an ancient technique for preserving raw meat for long
periods. It involves rubbing the meat in a mixture of salt and spices and
then keeping it covered in the resultant juicy brine for a minimum of two
weeks or much longer. The familiar corned beef is one of the few remnants
of this practice still popular today. While it is very simple to purchase
corned beef in the supermarket, either in ready-to-cook bags or already
cooked and sliced, making it a home is almost as easy and much less
expensive. You also have the option of using different cuts of meat. If you
like corned beef you will like corned tongue. The flavor is identical, the
only difference is in texture and appearance. After the minimum period of
curing, the meat can be cooked and eaten and will be delicious. Longer
curing will result in richer flavor and will not harm the meat at all.

Several different cuts of beef as well as the tongue are excellent
candidates for corning, in fact, except for steaks, any cut can be brined.
Obviously, the brisket is a good choice and boneless chuck roast or round
roast are also very fine. An entire eye of round will make a splendid
corned beef subject and would be very nice served cold on a buffet. You do
not have to limit yourself to beef, either. For the truly adventurous
foodie, a corned pork roast is sure to be a big hit. Occasionally pork or
lamb tongues are sold at the supermarket, these are also very good corned.
If you live in a rural area where there is a slaughterhouse, call and
inquire about getting tongues. Often these tasty items can be gotten for
free or a very small cost.

The thing to remember is that while you are actually preserving the meat
with salt you are also adding a great deal of flavor with the additional
ingredients added to the curing mixture. You will be using black pepper,
allspice, thyme, sage, paprika, bay leaf, rutabaga, onions, carrots, and
garlic. If doing pork, be sure to collect some juniper berries as they add
a special dimension to the flavor of corned pork.

THE INGREDIENTS

For 10 pounds of meat you will need 1 and a half cups of coarse or
non-iodized salt (kosher salt is good to use but regular granulated salt
without the iodine works just as well), 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, a
generous tablespoons of cracked black peppercorns, 2 teaspoons of allspice
berries, cracked, 2 tsp Instacure #1 or Prague Powder #1 (optional), five
or six sprigs of fresh thyme, a teaspoon of powdered sage, a teaspoon of
paprika, 7 or 8 bay leaves, broken into small pieces, a small
coarsely-chopped onion, a small chopped rutabaga, a chopped carrot, and 6
cloves of garlic, either crushed or finely minced. For pork, add two
tablespoons of fresh juniper berries, broken with the flat of a knife. If
you are only doing one tongue or roast, reduce the amounts of ingredients
accordingly.

THE METHOD

The corning process can be done in a large stone crock but is really much
easier if you use freezer zip-lock bags. Assemble enough bags to hold all
your different cuts of meat, one cut to a bag. Mix all the ingredients
together in a small bowl, except the juniper berries. Place all the meat in
a roasting pan and cover all sides with the salt mixture, rubbing it in
well. Put each piece of meat into a bag and divide the remaining salt
mixture among the bags. If you are doing a piece of pork, add the juniper
berries to that bag. Remove as much air as possible from each bag and seal.
If you have one of those vacuum sealers, this is a perfect use for it. You
want the meat to be bathed in the salt mixture at all times.

Pack all the bags into a large bowl or crock and weight them down under a
plate and about 10 pounds of weight (use canned tomatoes or the like).
Place in the bottom of the fridge. Check the bags in a few hours. The juice
should be running freely from the meat. Massage each bag to work the cure
into all the crevices of the meat. Repack into the container, re-weight and
return to the fridge. Turn the bags and massage daily to make sure the cure
is getting into all sides of the meat.

If a bag breaks, transfer the meat into a new bag with all the juices and
about a quarter cup of salt. Leave the meat to cure for at least two weeks,
three is better, before cooking one.

Before cooking, you will have to soak the meat in several changes of fresh
cold water to remove the excess salt. The longer the meat is cured, the
longer it will take to soak. Twenty-four hours should be enough. The meat
will lose its rubbery texture and begin to feel like fresh raw meat again.
Because there is no saltpeter in this curing mix, the meat will not be
bright red. Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong, this is what it
should look like. If you really want it to look like purchased corned meat,
find saltpeter (potassium nitrate) at a pharmacy and add a half-teaspoon to
the cure, but this is not necessary and only adds questionable, perhaps
carcinogenic, substances to your food. There is no good reason to add
nitrates to your food other than aesthetic ones. Get used to grayish-brown
corned beef, it is better for you!

COOKING

Put the refreshed meat in a pot and cover with water and dry Marsala wine.
Add a carrot, some celery stalks with tops, a small onion, several sprigs
of Italian parsley, some sprigs of fresh thyme, 4 bay leaves, and 5 cloves
of garlic, flattened with the side of a knife. Bring to a boil and reduce
to simmer. Skim off any foam that rises for the first few minutes then
cover partially with a lid and cook at the simmer until the tongue or roast
can be pierced easily with a fork. This will take 2 to 3 ½ hours, depending
on the size of the meat cut.

If you will be serving the corned beef or tongue cold, allow to cool in the
cooking liquid. When cool, the tongue should be removed and the rough skin
carefully peeled off. It will usually come off in one or two large pieces
and this is MUCH easier if the tongue is still slightly warm. Discard the
skin. Also remove any small bones from the large end of the tongue and
discard. Put the meat in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Tongue
or corned beef should be sliced thinly and served with good rye bread or
rolls with mustard. Either corned tongue or other cuts of beef can be
heated and served as hot sandwiches too.

Corned pork roast can be served hot with noodles and a fresh tomato sauce,
or with cabbage. Applesauce or fried apples with cranberries added is also
a nice touch.

JUNIPER BERRIES, THE HOW AND WHERE

If you cannot find juniper berries in your local market, look around the
neighborhood for juniper bushes. These shrubs are very common in landscapes
and you may have some in your own yard. They are usually prickly and bluish
or grayish green, some are very spreading in growth, some upright, and some
literally hug the ground. If you see an evergreen you suspect is a juniper,
crush a sprig (careful of the prickles) and sniff. If it smells like gin,
you have a juniper, start searching for berries, they may be green or
purplish-black. You don't need a lot, gather about a cup-full into a small
baggie and take home. They can be used fresh and the rest dried on the
counter and kept in a small jar until you need them again. Juniper berries
are an interesting addition to many different recipes, but especially nice
with game meats and pork.

******************************

Corned Beef & Cabbage - Faith and begora! Is it St Paddy's Day awready?

1 4-pound corned beef brisket
3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
4 onions, chopped
1 large sprig of fresh thyme
3 sprigs of fresh parsley

1 head of cabbage
Pepper, to taste

Place the first five ingredients in a Dutch oven. Add cold water and dry
Marsala wine (or Jameson's Irish Whiskey) to cover. Bring water to a boil,
lower heat and simmer, covered, for two hours. Occasionally skim any fat
that rises to the surface during simmering. Quarter the cabbage and add to
the pot. Cook for another hour - or until the meat and vegetables are
tender. Adjust seasonings. Slice the corned beef and serve with the
vegetables. This dish goes well with boiled red potatoes and a hearty
English mustard or horseradish sauce.

ENJOY!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : "Evelyn" > wrote:
> : > [ . . . ]
> : This is the best of the recipes I've seen posted in this thread, except
> : mine, of course. ;-)
>
> Well, that's what I think:-) Don't know about yours, however!

I loves ya, Shvester!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick you are very much more ambitious than I! I buy the stuff in the
plastic bag. But thank you for posting this, and I hope someone takes
advantage of your good instructions.
> [...]

> Place the first five ingredients in a Dutch oven. Add cold water and dry
> Marsala wine (or Jameson's Irish Whiskey) to cover. Bring water to a
> boil,
> lower heat and simmer, covered, for two hours. Occasionally skim any fat
> that rises to the surface during simmering. Quarter the cabbage and add to
> the pot. Cook for another hour - or until the meat and vegetables are
> tender. Adjust seasonings. Slice the corned beef and serve with the
> vegetables. This dish goes well with boiled red potatoes and a hearty
> English mustard or horseradish sauce.
>
> ENJOY!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> Nick you are very much more ambitious than I! I buy the stuff in the
> plastic bag. But thank you for posting this, and I hope someone takes
> advantage of your good instructions.

[ . . . ]

Not more ambitious, Evelyn. Most of my time is spent drinking, while I wait
for things to happen. ;-D

That stuff in the plastic bag should be fine for Corned Beef and Cabbage.
;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : Susan thanks so much! They both look really good, and I am saving this
> : post to try one. The recipes I looked up on cooks.com were all loaded
> with
> : brown sugar. Not for me!
> : --
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> I have a great family recipe with no sweetening other than 3-4 fresh or
> canned tomatoes. It is ind of long and involved. You can find it on the
> www.jewishfood-list.com under the name caramelized brisket. I am no good
> at copying urls so I can't get it and send it. If someone else wants to
> do this little job for everyone, feel free:-)
>
> Wendy

..
With some software, you can bring up the site in your browser, then right
click on the URL, then click on Copy, then go to your newsreader, then
right click on the place you want to put the URL, then click on Paste,
and the whole URL will be placed there.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02 Dec 2008 23:05:03 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Corning beef (or pork)

Wow! Thanks, Nick, I didn't realise it was so easy! I think I'll have
a go at this after Christmas, when I'll have space in my fridge for
that long.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Brisket .... how to? Skyhooks General Cooking 52 28-06-2007 02:50 AM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 07:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM