Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low carb, low sodium lamb stew

I bought a grass fed lamb from local rancher this fall, and yesterday came
up with this for our supper. My husband must limit sodium -

LOW CARB, LOW SODIUM LAMB STEW

1 small onion, sliced
2 T canola oil
1 pound lamb stew meat
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sodium free chicken broth powder
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup diced tomatoes, canned without salt

2 carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
1 small potato, peeled and cut into eight pieces
1 small turnip, peeled and cut into eight pieces
2 T chopped parseley
1/2 cup red wine
1 T cornstarch
1 T cold water

In a heavy oven proof pan, soften the onion in the hot oil over medium heat,
and when it is close to becoming translucent, add the meat, garlic powder,
and pepper. Stir-fry for a few minutes over medium heat to combine the
flavors and coat the meat with the oil.

Add the chicken broth powder, the boiling water and the tomatoes. Stir to
mix thoroughly, cover the pan and place in a 300 degree oven for an hour.
Prepare the vegetables, and add them to the stew, stir to mix thoroughly,
and return to the oven for about another hour and a half.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water, and add some of the hot liquid
from the stew by tablespoons, until the mixture is about a 1/3 of a cup in
volume. Add the cornstarch mixture and the winde to the stew, stir to mix
thoroughly, and return to the oven for about another 45 minutes.

Makes four servings.

I compute the entire recipe to have 3 carbs - one each in the cornstarch,
the potato, and the turnip. So less than 1 carb per serving.

For persons who are not limiting sodium, use garlic salt in place of garlic
powder, beef or chicken broth powder which is prepared with salt, and
regular canned tomatoes. However, this really tastes just fine as written
above!

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock

T2
1500 mg metformin
10 mg glyberide

"Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A R Pickett > wrote:
[...]

: --
: A R Pickett aka Woodstock

Funny you sould send this as I also just made a lamb stew last week. I
used 2 lbs of boneless lamb, one huge onion(spanish) 3 cloves of garlic, ,
28 oz an of tomatos, about 5 large carrots(I love he tase of carrots
cooked in stew) cut in chunks, geenpepper, 3 madium peeled turnips,
several stalksof celery, a big glogg of red wine, a can of chicken broth,
FGBP, 3 ling stalkes of rosemary. i would have put in some bay leaves,
but I couldn't find them) and prepared it very like yours. This has made
about 9 1/2 servings(we have an overlarge 1 left that we will share for
lunch).

I love cooking this way because it lasts fo a least 3 meals, meaning only
heating and making a salad to make 2 of those meals:-) I will soon have
to start with big pots of low carb, vegetably soupwith meat or chicken
base now that is is predictably cold enough. I think my first will be the
big pot of turkey carcasse, tomaot, and bean soup I make after
thanksgiving. I like to make that slightly hot either with pepperinchino
or other dried hot pepper. No recipe, as it is a clean up the kitchen
soup, but any left over gravy and stuffing(made lowish carb) go into the
pot along with most of the turkey skin as so many don't eat the skin these
days.

Well, now I am off to prepare cranberry sauce and my shopping list for the
holiday so I can sop tomorrow and avoid te weekend crowds at Fairway.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> lunch).
>
> I love cooking this way because it lasts fo a least 3 meals, meaning only
> heating and making a salad to make 2 of those meals:-) I will soon have
> to start with big pots of low carb, vegetably soupwith meat or chicken
> base now that is is predictably cold enough. I think my first will be the
> big pot of turkey carcasse, tomaot, and bean soup I make after
> thanksgiving. I like to make that slightly hot either with pepperinchino
> or other dried hot pepper. No recipe, as it is a clean up the kitchen
> soup, but any left over gravy and stuffing(made lowish carb) go into the
> pot along with most of the turkey skin as so many don't eat the skin these
> days.
>
> Well, now I am off to prepare cranberry sauce and my shopping list for the
> holiday so I can sop tomorrow and avoid te weekend crowds at Fairway.

That sounds delicious Wendy.

I like to buy a couple of Lamb Shanks and put them in a pot with a can of
tomatoes, a good half a cup of Marsala wine, some fresh garlic cloves and a
big cut up onion. I also add a bay leaf and a bit of oregano and basil and
a few red pepper flakes.

Then I stew it until the meat is falling off the bone and the liquid is
somewhat reduced. I usually serve this with a bit of macaroni to take
advantage of the nice rich liquid, and if there is a lot, I will cook the
macaroni right in it.

It is so good you can't imagine, but hubby won't eat lamb, so it is
something I have to make just for myself and serve him something else.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

(Our) enemies are not man. They are intolerance, fanaticism, dictatorship,
cupidity, hatred and discrimination, which lie within the heart of man." --
Thich Nhat Hanh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> I like to buy a couple of Lamb Shanks and put them in a pot with a can of
> tomatoes, a good half a cup of Marsala wine, some fresh garlic cloves and a
> big cut up onion. I also add a bay leaf and a bit of oregano and basil and
> a few red pepper flakes.
>
> Then I stew it until the meat is falling off the bone and the liquid is
> somewhat reduced. I usually serve this with a bit of macaroni to take
> advantage of the nice rich liquid, and if there is a lot, I will cook the
> macaroni right in it.
>
> It is so good you can't imagine, but hubby won't eat lamb, so it is
> something I have to make just for myself and serve him something else.

A few years ago, one of my supermarkets regularly had lamb shanks for an
absurdly low price ($1.99/lb sticks in my mind) and they were sometimes
on special. Needless to say, I ate a lot of lamb shanks. The thing I
remember the most is how long you had to cook them until the meat
reached that delicious tenderness.

It's been a long time, and the last time I saw them, they were too
expensive for me to buy.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>

>> I like to buy a couple of Lamb Shanks and put them in a pot with a can of
>> tomatoes, a good half a cup of Marsala wine, some fresh garlic cloves and
>> big cut up onion. I also add a bay leaf and a bit of oregano and basil
>> and
>> a few red pepper flakes.
>>
>> Then I stew it until the meat is falling off the bone and the liquid is
>> somewhat reduced. I usually serve this with a bit of macaroni to take
>> advantage of the nice rich liquid, and if there is a lot, I will cook the
>> macaroni right in it.
>>
>> It is so good you can't imagine, but hubby won't eat lamb, so it is
>> something I have to make just for myself and serve him something else.

> A few years ago, one of my supermarkets regularly had lamb shanks for an
> absurdly low price ($1.99/lb sticks in my mind) and they were sometimes
> on special. Needless to say, I ate a lot of lamb shanks. The thing I
> remember the most is how long you had to cook them until the meat
> reached that delicious tenderness.
>
> It's been a long time, and the last time I saw them, they were too
> expensive for me to buy.

Yes, they have certainly gone up in price!
Every now and then Hannaford has them, but it is hard to find them anymore.

Lamb Stew cshenk General Cooking 11 21-01-2015 03:48 PM
Lamb stew [email protected] Asian Cooking 4 27-01-2009 01:55 AM
Bought some lamb meat (stew) but i don't want to make stew amandaF General Cooking 6 01-09-2008 03:27 AM
Low Carb Old Fashioned Beef Stew Meximam Recipes (moderated) 0 25-03-2004 01:48 PM