Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thanksgiving food plans?

For the Americans, I mean.

This year is going to be different for us. SIL's birthday is on the day so
her mom wants her to eat at their house. We may be doing a turkey dinner at
my parent's house on the following Sat., but that's still up in the air.
Meanwhile I bought some big paper plates with turkeys on them and some
little plates with fall leaves on them. Also matching turkey napkins.

I plan to fill my largest crockpot with turkey legs for husband. Will have
to look that recipe up again. I think I just put in some onions and celery
to cook them. He likes the legs best of anything and will happily eat those
and just those. So he's covered. Will get a package or two (husband might
find it and eat it, you never know) of sliced turkey breast for Angela and
I. Will make some mashed potatoes with turkey broth and dairy free
margarine. And some gluten free gravy. Will also make a large, sugar free
Jell-O salad with cranberries, walnuts or pecans and some orange peel. Will
pop open a can or two of green beans and another of black olives. We always
have plenty of raw veggies, but might buy a few more for variety. For
dessert (I won't be eating), I will probably make something with the canned
"lite" cherry pie filling I bought for last Christmas dinner that never
happened, and some gluten free crumbs. If the crumbs are expired I will use
an oatmeal topping. Got plenty of that now after Angela won the Bob's Red
Mill gluten free products.

So an easy meal for me. None of us like big fancy meals anyway and all
husband cares about on that day is football.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> For the Americans, I mean.
>
> This year is going to be different for us. SIL's birthday is on the
> day so her mom wants her to eat at their house. We may be doing a
> turkey dinner at my parent's house on the following Sat., but that's
> still up in the air. Meanwhile I bought some big paper plates with
> turkeys on them and some little plates with fall leaves on them. Also
> matching turkey napkins.
> I plan to fill my largest crockpot with turkey legs for husband. Will have
> to look that recipe up again. I think I just put in some
> onions and celery to cook them. He likes the legs best of anything
> and will happily eat those and just those. So he's covered. Will
> get a package or two (husband might find it and eat it, you never
> know) of sliced turkey breast for Angela and I. Will make some
> mashed potatoes with turkey broth and dairy free margarine. And some
> gluten free gravy. Will also make a large, sugar free Jell-O salad
> with cranberries, walnuts or pecans and some orange peel. Will pop
> open a can or two of green beans and another of black olives. We
> always have plenty of raw veggies, but might buy a few more for
> variety. For dessert (I won't be eating), I will probably make
> something with the canned "lite" cherry pie filling I bought for last
> Christmas dinner that never happened, and some gluten free crumbs. If the
> crumbs are expired I will use an oatmeal topping. Got plenty
> of that now after Angela won the Bob's Red Mill gluten free products.
>
> So an easy meal for me. None of us like big fancy meals anyway and
> all husband cares about on that day is football.

In recent time I have been buying pre cooked, turkey hindquarters from the
bbq chicken section of one supermarket. They are very tasty, moist and just
the right size for one family meal. Frozen section also has self basting
hindquarters if I wanted to ever bother cooking one So a turkey dinner
would be quite easy for me to do. With all the liquid sauces around these
days it is just a matter of cooking veggies...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> In recent time I have been buying pre cooked, turkey hindquarters from the
> bbq chicken section of one supermarket. They are very tasty, moist and
> just the right size for one family meal. Frozen section also has self
> basting hindquarters if I wanted to ever bother cooking one So a turkey
> dinner would be quite easy for me to do. With all the liquid sauces around
> these days it is just a matter of cooking veggies...

I'm not sure what a hind quarter would be, but I doubt it would work for us.
Husband will eat 2 or 3 legs at a time and Angela and I only eat a small
amount of breast meat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> In recent time I have been buying pre cooked, turkey hindquarters
>> from the bbq chicken section of one supermarket. They are very
>> tasty, moist and just the right size for one family meal. Frozen
>> section also has self basting hindquarters if I wanted to ever
>> bother cooking one So a turkey dinner would be quite easy for me
>> to do. With all the liquid sauces around these days it is just a
>> matter of cooking veggies...

> I'm not sure what a hind quarter would be, but I doubt it would work
> for us. Husband will eat 2 or 3 legs at a time and Angela and I only
> eat a small amount of breast meat.

One half of the rear end of a turkey. Comes with a large leg and some
breast. They are quite big. Like a leg carved up would suit 3 people (normal
people..) with trimmings. Good for people who don't want to eat turkey for
weeks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> For the Americans, I mean.
>
> This year is going to be different for us. SIL's birthday is on the day
> so her mom wants her to eat at their house. We may be doing a turkey
> dinner at my parent's house on the following Sat., but that's still up in
> the air. Meanwhile I bought some big paper plates with turkeys on them
> and some little plates with fall leaves on them. Also matching turkey
> napkins.
>
> I plan to fill my largest crockpot with turkey legs for husband. Will
> have to look that recipe up again. I think I just put in some onions and
> celery to cook them. He likes the legs best of anything and will happily
> eat those and just those. So he's covered. Will get a package or two
> (husband might find it and eat it, you never know) of sliced turkey
> breast for Angela and I. Will make some mashed potatoes with turkey
> broth and dairy free margarine. And some gluten free gravy. Will also
> make a large, sugar free Jell-O salad with cranberries, walnuts or pecans
> and some orange peel. Will pop open a can or two of green beans and
> another of black olives. We always have plenty of raw veggies, but might
> buy a few more for variety. For dessert (I won't be eating), I will
> probably make something with the canned "lite" cherry pie filling I
> bought for last Christmas dinner that never happened, and some gluten
> free crumbs. If the crumbs are expired I will use an oatmeal topping.
> Got plenty of that now after Angela won the Bob's Red Mill gluten free
> products.
>
> So an easy meal for me. None of us like big fancy meals anyway and all
> husband cares about on that day is football.

Sounds like a busy plan, Julie. I offer you this thought:

Turk-A-Leekie Soup for Julie's hubby

4 to 5 lbs of turkey drumsticks and thighs
2 qts beef stock, made from shin or marrow bones, or chicken stock
2 bunches leeks (about 2 lbs), washed and chopped into pieces around 1"
long or so
1/2 to 1 lb strong mushrooms (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
6 to 8 prunes (optional)

Place fowl parts in saucepan (if using drumsticks and thighs, brown skin,
but don't _cook_ the turkey parts, in lard, butter or EVOO over high heat,
and then), cover with stock and chopped leeks, salt & pepper. Bring to boil
and simmer, covered, for 4 hours. Skim fat from surface. 1/2 hour before
soup is ready, add a handful of prunes (and mushrooms) and continue
simmering. When soup is ready, remove the bird parts, cut into pieces,
place in tureen and pour soup over. Serves 6 to 8.

Original from “Traditional Scottish Cookery”, by Margaret Fairlie, a gift
from a dear friend.

NOTE: In that last half hour your can throw in the potatoes (in smaller
vessels that will allow their retrieval) to cook, too.

Have a great day!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> One half of the rear end of a turkey. Comes with a large leg and some
> breast. They are quite big. Like a leg carved up would suit 3 people
> (normal people..) with trimmings. Good for people who don't want to eat
> turkey for weeks.

Obviously we are not normal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> We're doing all of Tom's family's favorite dishes (we being ME), with the
> addition of one deep fried turkey and one stuffed and roasted this year
> with Jame's Beard's basic bread stuffing.
>
> Then:
>
> Pureed turnips with lots of butter, s and p
> Twice baked potatoes with sour cream and butter
> Glazed sweet potatoes and apples
> Green bean bundles wrapped in bacon and glazed
> Croissants and corn bread
> Sliced canned cranberry sauce (they LOVE it) and homemade savory sweet
> cranberry sauce from that pork recipe I posted
> Cream gravy with minced giblets and fresh thyme
>
> We'll have jumbo shrimp platter and crudite before dinner (they eat late)
>
> Desserts brought my my SILs; usually warm apple crumb cake with Haagen Daz
> vanilla ice cream and pumpkin ginger cheesecake.
>
> I eat turkey and my homemade cranberries, some turnips and green beans.
> Only a taste of all the sweet goop they like.
>
> Susan

LOL, checking the airline schedule to get me to your house in time for
dinner. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >
[...]

Around here a hind quarter of a turkey would be a leg and second joint
with ot without the backbone. It is great for those who like dark meat,
bu no breast. Very good for stewing as wellas dry roasting, like chicken
leg quarters as the meat is naturally moister than the breast meat.

I do the whole bird, low carb cranberry, lower carb dressing adn low carb
veggetables with my low carb, unthickened gravy and 2 pies, one pumpkin
with Splenda and nut crust and a top crust only apple pie with splenda,
cinnamon and lemon juice.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>

>> One half of the rear end of a turkey. Comes with a large leg and some
>> breast. They are quite big. Like a leg carved up would suit 3 people
>> (normal people..) with trimmings. Good for people who don't want to
>> eat turkey for weeks.

> Obviously we are not normal.

Well hubby's not Yours I mean, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> For the Americans, I mean.
>
> This year is going to be different for us. SIL's birthday is on the day
> so her mom wants her to eat at their house. We may be doing a turkey
> dinner at my parent's house on the following Sat., but that's still up
> in the air. Meanwhile I bought some big paper plates with turkeys on
> them and some little plates with fall leaves on them. Also matching
> turkey napkins.
>
> I plan to fill my largest crockpot with turkey legs for husband. Will
> have to look that recipe up again. I think I just put in some onions
> and celery to cook them. He likes the legs best of anything and will
> happily eat those and just those. So he's covered. Will get a package
> or two (husband might find it and eat it, you never know) of sliced
> turkey breast for Angela and I. Will make some mashed potatoes with
> turkey broth and dairy free margarine. And some gluten free gravy.
> Will also make a large, sugar free Jell-O salad with cranberries,
> walnuts or pecans and some orange peel. Will pop open a can or two of
> green beans and another of black olives. We always have plenty of raw
> veggies, but might buy a few more for variety. For dessert (I won't be
> eating), I will probably make something with the canned "lite" cherry
> pie filling I bought for last Christmas dinner that never happened, and
> some gluten free crumbs. If the crumbs are expired I will use an
> oatmeal topping. Got plenty of that now after Angela won the Bob's Red
> Mill gluten free products.
>
> So an easy meal for me. None of us like big fancy meals anyway and all
> husband cares about on that day is football.

Your plans sound great to me. My Thanksgiving will likely be a turkey TV
dinner and a bottle of gin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We go to My Son's and DIL's house in Scottsdale. We put the dogs into Pet's
Hotel, and spend the long weekend up there and might do some shopping ..if
my knees hold up. DIL always treats me to a reflexology massage and a
pedicure at Elizabeth Arden Spa. ...We might even throw in a facial My
Grandson will go with us...his Mother and Stepdad may or may not go
too...depends if his family is getting together or not. My DIL's brothers
and Mother will be there...plus friends. She usually has a large turkey and
all of the trimmings.
My Grandson would love to share those legs with your hubby Julie..he loves
Turkey legs
I passed the Christmas Dinner torch to my daughter last year...So I am
retiring my holiday cooking..after forty years I figure it has been
earned..LOL. I will do the New Years Dinner but that is pretty easy

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> For the Americans, I mean.
>
> This year is going to be different for us. SIL's birthday is on the day
> so her mom wants her to eat at their house. We may be doing a turkey
> dinner at my parent's house on the following Sat., but that's still up in
> the air. Meanwhile I bought some big paper plates with turkeys on them and
> some little plates with fall leaves on them. Also matching turkey
> napkins.
>
> I plan to fill my largest crockpot with turkey legs for husband. Will
> have to look that recipe up again. I think I just put in some onions and
> celery to cook them. He likes the legs best of anything and will happily
> eat those and just those. So he's covered. Will get a package or two
> (husband might find it and eat it, you never know) of sliced turkey breast
> for Angela and I. Will make some mashed potatoes with turkey broth and
> dairy free margarine. And some gluten free gravy. Will also make a
> large, sugar free Jell-O salad with cranberries, walnuts or pecans and
> some orange peel. Will pop open a can or two of green beans and another
> of black olives. We always have plenty of raw veggies, but might buy a
> few more for variety. For dessert (I won't be eating), I will probably
> make something with the canned "lite" cherry pie filling I bought for last
> Christmas dinner that never happened, and some gluten free crumbs. If the
> crumbs are expired I will use an oatmeal topping. Got plenty of that now
> after Angela won the Bob's Red Mill gluten free products.
>
> So an easy meal for me. None of us like big fancy meals anyway and all
> husband cares about on that day is football.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a bit
upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I can by Turkey
anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure helps save on the
grocery bill
Jacquie
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>
>>> In recent time I have been buying pre cooked, turkey hindquarters
>>> from the bbq chicken section of one supermarket. They are very
>>> tasty, moist and just the right size for one family meal. Frozen
>>> section also has self basting hindquarters if I wanted to ever
>>> bother cooking one So a turkey dinner would be quite easy for me
>>> to do. With all the liquid sauces around these days it is just a
>>> matter of cooking veggies...

>> I'm not sure what a hind quarter would be, but I doubt it would work
>> for us. Husband will eat 2 or 3 legs at a time and Angela and I only
>> eat a small amount of breast meat.

> One half of the rear end of a turkey. Comes with a large leg and some
> breast. They are quite big. Like a leg carved up would suit 3 people
> (normal people..) with trimmings. Good for people who don't want to eat
> turkey for weeks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

jacquie wrote:
> When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a
> bit upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I
> can by Turkey anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure
> helps save on the grocery bill

At Xmas our big leftover day is Boxing Day. I love Boxing Day, all the hot
meats are then cold to have with salads that next day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

jacquie > wrote:
: When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a bit
: upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I can by Turkey
: anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure helps save on the
: grocery bill
: Jacquie

I love the turkey leftovers. makes all the work sworthwhile. I mke
agreat tturkey carcasse soup and various other dishes like my famous club
sandwich salad. turkey breast chunks, chunked tomatoes, baco-bits and
mayo on a nice bed of lettuce. You coul dpass some toatst cubes for the
non-diabertics at the meal.

Also, just room temperature slied turkey with boiling hot gravy poured
over it just before eating. much better than heating th emeat in the
gravy.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
> When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a bit
> upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I can by
> Turkey anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure helps save
> on the grocery bill

I think it's funny that people never think to do turkey other than at
Thanksgiving. We never do a whole turkey. I got one once, already cooked.
Just had to heat it up. I had such a mess! I think I used a foil roaster.
I just remember getting greasy juice all over the kitchen. Nobody knew how
to carve the thing and nobody wanted to deal with the bones. Never again.

I also remember what I did with the leftovers. It was nasty. Saw it on
Rachel Ray. Boboli pizza with a topping of cranberry sauce, some kind of
cheese and the turkey. It tasted horrible.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> jacquie wrote:
>> When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a
>> bit upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I
>> can by Turkey anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure
>> helps save on the grocery bill

> At Xmas our big leftover day is Boxing Day. I love Boxing Day, all the hot
> meats are then cold to have with salads that next day.

We don't do that here and we never have any leftovers. We don't make a big
deal out of Christmas dinner. There might be desserts and some kind of
fancy olives that we don't normally have. And there might be some nuts or
chips put out before dinner. That's the only difference.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> jacquie > wrote:
> : When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a bit
> : upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I can by
> Turkey
> : anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure helps save on
> the
> : grocery bill
> : Jacquie
>
> I love the turkey leftovers. makes all the work sworthwhile. I mke
> agreat tturkey carcasse soup and various other dishes like my famous club
> sandwich salad. turkey breast chunks, chunked tomatoes, baco-bits and
> mayo on a nice bed of lettuce. You coul dpass some toatst cubes for the
> non-diabertics at the meal.
>
> Also, just room temperature slied turkey with boiling hot gravy poured
> over it just before eating. much better than heating th emeat in the
> gravy.

I find I don't really like turkey *in* things like soup or enchiladas. I
also found out I can't stand turkey and noodles. I tried that because mom
is allergic to chicken. Everyone liked it but me. I do like turkey and
gravy over mashed potatoes, or a hot or cold turkey sandwich. But that's
about it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> jacquie > wrote:
> : When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a bit
> : upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I can by
> Turkey
> : anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure helps save on
> the
> : grocery bill
> : Jacquie
>
> I love the turkey leftovers. makes all the work sworthwhile. I mke
> agreat tturkey carcasse soup and various other dishes like my famous club
> sandwich salad. turkey breast chunks, chunked tomatoes, baco-bits and
> mayo on a nice bed of lettuce. You coul dpass some toatst cubes for the
> non-diabertics at the meal.
>
> Also, just room temperature slied turkey with boiling hot gravy poured
> over it just before eating. much better than heating th emeat in the
> gravy.
>
> Wendy

I've done 2 20+pound turkeys in the past couple of months. I must admit I'm
kind of tired of dealing with turkey, but my son is going to deep fry one
for Thanksgiving, so that at least will be different. I love the leftovers
too, so many ways to fix it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I usually use the white meat in my soups and sandwiches. I will use the dark
meat mixed with white in my casseroles. I can't stand ground turkey...I
always look for ground white meat chicken...if I need ground poultry for
anything.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> jacquie > wrote:
>> : When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a
>> bit
>> : upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I can by
>> Turkey
>> : anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure helps save on
>> the
>> : grocery bill
>> : Jacquie
>>
>> I love the turkey leftovers. makes all the work sworthwhile. I mke
>> agreat tturkey carcasse soup and various other dishes like my famous club
>> sandwich salad. turkey breast chunks, chunked tomatoes, baco-bits and
>> mayo on a nice bed of lettuce. You coul dpass some toatst cubes for the
>> non-diabertics at the meal.
>>
>> Also, just room temperature slied turkey with boiling hot gravy poured
>> over it just before eating. much better than heating th emeat in the
>> gravy.

> I find I don't really like turkey *in* things like soup or enchiladas. I
> also found out I can't stand turkey and noodles. I tried that because mom
> is allergic to chicken. Everyone liked it but me. I do like turkey and
> gravy over mashed potatoes, or a hot or cold turkey sandwich. But that's
> about it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Years ago when we lived in Florida we had friends that deep fried their
turkey...they did it in a deep fryer outside. It was so good. Crispy on the
outside and so moist on the inside.
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> jacquie > wrote:
>> : When Wayne found out I was no longer doing Christmas Dinner he got a
>> bit
>> : upset because we won't have leftover Turkey...I informed him I can by
>> Turkey
>> : anytime I do casseroles and soup with leftovers..sure helps save on
>> the
>> : grocery bill
>> : Jacquie
>>
>> I love the turkey leftovers. makes all the work sworthwhile. I mke
>> agreat tturkey carcasse soup and various other dishes like my famous club
>> sandwich salad. turkey breast chunks, chunked tomatoes, baco-bits and
>> mayo on a nice bed of lettuce. You coul dpass some toatst cubes for the
>> non-diabertics at the meal.
>>
>> Also, just room temperature slied turkey with boiling hot gravy poured
>> over it just before eating. much better than heating th emeat in the
>> gravy.
>>
>> Wendy

> I've done 2 20+pound turkeys in the past couple of months. I must admit
> I'm kind of tired of dealing with turkey, but my son is going to deep fry
> one for Thanksgiving, so that at least will be different. I love the
> leftovers too, so many ways to fix it.
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I usually use the white meat in my soups and sandwiches. I will use the
>dark meat mixed with white in my casseroles. I can't stand ground
>turkey...I always look for ground white meat chicken...if I need ground
>poultry for anything.

The only ground meat I can eat is beef, although I have had a few things
made by my inlaws that also had ground pork mixed with the beef. They were
okay, but fattier than I would prefer. I think ground chicken and turkey
should be outlawed. However I've heard that the lettuce wraps at P.F.
Chang's (I've never been there) are good and they are made with ground
turkey.