Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I'm in a prodce rut!

Week after week, I find I am declining the organic produce boxes from our
local CSA. There is just too much stuff in there we won't eat. This week
it was winter squash, avocados, sunchokes, collard greens, fennel (we like
it but there's never enough and I don't have time to roast it), garlic and
persimmons. The rest of the box is stuff that we might eat, but then again,
we might not.

I find that for fruit, this family only seems to eat sliced apples on a
regular basis. I buy them by the case at Costco. I might have to throw a
pack or two away but they almost always get eaten. Sometimes husband and
daughter will eat grapes. Daughter will occasionally eat a pear or two.
Will she eat the ones from our trees? No. Only ones she sees at the store.
Husband will sometimes eat oranges but he is very picky about them. If he
likes them he can go through dozens. If he doesn't like them, they sit
until they go moldy. He can't be bothered to throw stuff away. Both of
them love some little orange looking things that I get at Costco more
towards the winter and into spring called "Little Cuties". I am not sure
exactly what they are. They say they are not satsumas or tangerines. They
won't touch those things. Daughter is no longer allergic to bananas so she
will happily eat two per week. Husband will sometimes eat those. And most
of the time they will eat fruit salad. But only if it is the expensive kind
that I buy pre-made. I can get that fairly cheap at Costco but it's a huge
bowl of it. More than they can eat.

As for the veggies... I have a giant bag of baby red potatoes I bought at
Costco. I've used some of them. They are beginning to sprout. Still have
some Yukon Golds that came in my boxes in the past. I checked them and they
are still good. I regularly buy baby carrots, celery, peppers, onions, and
sometimes a cucumber and tomatoes. That's about it. I know these things
will get eaten.

I've been eating a meal of a bag of sliced apples, a container of carrots
and celery with a little cup of peanut butter, but it isn't enough carbs for
me. I get too full and I can't even finish the apples. So I have to work
something else out there.

We do eat canned vegetables and sometimes frozen ones. Angela will happily
eat canned green or wax beans every day and so will I.

I made a vegetable soup last night and I was the only one who ate it.
Angela declared that I ruined it by putting in kidney beans and she has
decided that she no longer likes potatoes in soup. Grrr... I put a lot of
potatoes in there because that has always been her favorite part. Husband
has been wanting to eat the minute he comes in the door. Now it is 3:24 and
he is eating dinner. I don't know what he is eating. I had made a pasta
salad with more vegetables in it than pasta and was going to do up some
bacon to go with it. There is no protein in the salad aside from the tiny
bit that is in the veggies and rice/corn pasta. Okay, so... He is eating
the leftover soup. *sigh*

Anyway... We are back to eating the same old vegetables day after day now.
I had gotten better for a while, trying new recipes and forcing myself to
use the odd vegetables that came in the box. But now I'm not doing that.
Angela is taking back to back dance classes twice a week now. I have been
making crockpot meals for those nights, but I think pretty soon I am just
going to drop her off there and come home to fix dinner. She is old enough
now just to leave there and we live very close to the studio where she is on
those days. That will give us some more variety.

One night, she goes to the studio in a neighboring city. I just leave
leftovers or buy something prepared for my husband and Angela and I eat out
that night. We've been going to Taco Del Mar most of the time. And we eat
out for lunch and dinner on Saturday. Sometimes go out on Sunday. I
usually get a salad when we go out. I can't eat a lot of salad because of
the gastroparesis. And there are some vegetables like broccoli that I
simply can never eat. I have to be really careful with my diet. I think I
ate too much fiber the last couple of days and I was paying for it today.
It can get quite embarrassing. My stomach makes horrid loud rumbly noises
and people just think I am hungry. I was helping with the party at Angela's
school and thankfully things settled down by then. I just had a sandwich
with nothing but sliced turkey and faux butter on it, daring not to eat any
more fiber.

Angela is now allergic to lentils and peas so no more of those. Not that I
made them much at all. Might have put a small amount in soup or peas in a
tuna casserole or chicken and noodles. Never served them as a side
vegetable.

So what are some ways I can get more veggies into our diet? I know to put
them in meatloaf (which I make only rarely) and in pasta sauce. I have a
large canister of dried mushrooms that I use to make sauces. Angela freaks
if she sees a piece of mushroom in something. I have to make sure they are
well blended. I do make a lot of soup and stew and there are always
vegetables in there. I was making Spanish rice a lot this summer with
plenty of peppers, onions, and beans in it. Haven't made it since school
started. But most of the time I find I am popping open yet another can of
green or waxed beans or reaching for a bag of raw baby carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:15:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

[. . .]

> Both of
>them love some little orange looking things that I get at Costco more
>towards the winter and into spring called "Little Cuties". I am not sure
>exactly what they are. They say they are not satsumas or tangerines.

[. . .]

The Costco "Little Cuties" are Clementine Mandarins. They are a cross
between a Mandarin Orange and an Orange. They are small, sweet, easily
peeled, and seedless.
--
Dizzie Lizzie -- www.flamingo-code.com
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Week after week, I find I am declining the organic produce boxes from our
> local CSA. There is just too much stuff in there we won't eat. This week
> it was winter squash, avocados, sunchokes, collard greens, fennel (we like
> it but there's never enough and I don't have time to roast it), garlic and
> persimmons.

Have you tried avocado pizza?
Just spoon them on top of your best bread-
Slice some tomatoes and cheese and broil 'til the cheese melts.
Top with alfalfa sprouts.

> [...]
> I made them much at all. Might have put a small amount in soup or peas in
> a tuna casserole or chicken and noodles. Never served them as a side
> vegetable.
>
> So what are some ways I can get more veggies into our diet? I know to put
> them in meatloaf (which I make only rarely) and in pasta sauce. I have a
> large canister of dried mushrooms that I use to make sauces. Angela
> freaks if she sees a piece of mushroom in something. I have to make sure
> they are well blended. I do make a lot of soup and stew and there are
> always vegetables in there. I was making Spanish rice a lot this summer
> with plenty of peppers, onions, and beans in it. Haven't made it since
> school started. But most of the time I find I am popping open yet another
> can of green or waxed beans or reaching for a bag of raw baby carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cotan Theta" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Week after week, I find I am declining the organic produce boxes from our
>> local CSA. There is just too much stuff in there we won't eat. This
>> week it was winter squash, avocados, sunchokes, collard greens, fennel
>> (we like it but there's never enough and I don't have time to roast it),
>> garlic and persimmons.

> Have you tried avocado pizza?
> Just spoon them on top of your best bread-
> Slice some tomatoes and cheese and broil 'til the cheese melts.
> Top with alfalfa sprouts.

I can't stand avocados. Am allergic to cheese and don't like pizza or
sprouts. But thanks!