Posted to alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default What to do with it...

CindyB wrote:
> Hi all,
> A co-worker just gave me two yams. I am sooo clueless in the kitchen
> that I thought they came in a can and had marshmellows with them.
> Shows ya how much I know about some things. (Cooking, veggies) Anyway,
> any clue how to cook them? My friend said to cut them into chunks and
> put in the microwave for eight minutes. I can handle that. But, what
> do you put on them? Butter? Cheese? I have no idea as I have only had
> them once when I was a kid with the marshmellows.
> Cindy

I use them wherever I would use potatoes. I have more flexibility using
insulin, but I don't eat many white potatoes any more.

Kind of ironically, tonight's dinner was:

2 cans green lentils, rinsed
1 onion
2 cl. garlic
2 celery stalks w/leaves
1/2 ea red and orange pepper, chopped
1/4 lb bacon, chopped
3 med sweet potatoes, in smallish chunks
3 good sized handfuls frozen French-cut green beans
1 cup frozen corn
2 2-serving size V8
2 litres chicken stock, 1/2 litre water

Made soup, spiced with smoked paprika, FGBP, cumin, a bit of rubbed
dried oregano and half a bunch of fresh mint chopped and added at the end.

Served with spring mix and watercress salad with oil & sherry vinegar
dressing and hot fresh potato bread. Cheese for dessert.

Excellent flavour. Warm. Food for 2 more days. I think I'll split the
batch and subject half to the immersion blender.

Vicki
T1