Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Taco Del Mar carb counts

Has anyone here eaten there? I think they are mainly a West Coast chain. I
think the carb counts listed on their website are vastly overstated, at
least for the tacos and Baja bowls. Angela and I normally get a taco combo
meal and a side order of chips and salsa. I eat a chip or two and she has
some of the rest. We never finish them all. I was worried the first time I
ordered these because the website listed a large amount of carbs for the
meal. I assumed they must be made on huge tortillas, but they were the same
small size as the kid's meal. I have eaten this meal many times and my BG
is always fine afterwards. This is our standard meal after her Monday night
swing class which is in another city. We can get the food quickly and get
back home again.

But yesterday she had an accident while roller skating and now her arm is in
a splint. She has to go back in a week or so for another X-Ray. At this
point it doesn't appear to be broken but there is an abnormality with the
bone. So eating a taco would be difficult for her. So instead we got the
Baja bowls. Again, I was worried because I think the website said one bowl
was 81 g of carb. I figured this must be a huge meal and I would have to
restrain myself. Until I saw how much went into it. Yes there was rice.
But not an overly large amount. And there were refried beans. But not
much. Then a meat topping (very small amount of carbs in the sauce) and
some fresh salsa.

I went ahead and ate the entire bowl (it was small) and a few of the chips
and some salsa. I could tell by the way Angela was looking and the way she
wolfed her way down to the last chip (she gave me half) that she could have
easily had another bowl. I didn't get her one though since she always gets
a small Jamba juice after. She did ask for a medium juice tonight though.

At any rate, my BG was 104 after eating. Had been 188 prior to eating. Why
188? Maybe because I'm still sick. I don't know. Have had this cough
thing for over 3 weeks now.

I am glad that the food wasn't overly large or overly carby, but it does
annoy me that they seem not to have the correct carb count on their website.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think the carb count was correct as they count fiber as carbs too so the
beans etc were counted high even though thier impact on you bg was less due
to the protien and fiber...

that said i know most chains add in a ton of sugar and starch where you
wouldnt expect there to be...one reason is carbs are cheaper then meat so
item last longer under the warming lights etc.

Mexican food rarely spikes me even chips but only certain kinds like the
ones made the old fashioned way soaked in acid then ground and then
fried...theres alot of fat in that stuff so that helps.

I have to practice portion control or it will sneak up on me later with a
later rise..somtimes even when im good and eating the same thing as always
sometime just the onion can spike me up a bit so gotta be viligent.

hope the tots arms ok...if your not getting hurt your not playing enough
....lol..least that was my motto as a kid.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Has anyone here eaten there? I think they are mainly a West Coast chain.
> I think the carb counts listed on their website are vastly overstated, at
> least for the tacos and Baja bowls. Angela and I normally get a taco
> combo meal and a side order of chips and salsa. I eat a chip or two and
> she has some of the rest. We never finish them all. I was worried the
> first time I ordered these because the website listed a large amount of
> carbs for the meal. I assumed they must be made on huge tortillas, but
> they were the same small size as the kid's meal. I have eaten this meal
> many times and my BG is always fine afterwards. This is our standard meal
> after her Monday night swing class which is in another city. We can get
> the food quickly and get back home again.
>
> But yesterday she had an accident while roller skating and now her arm is
> in a splint. She has to go back in a week or so for another X-Ray. At
> this point it doesn't appear to be broken but there is an abnormality with
> the bone. So eating a taco would be difficult for her. So instead we got
> the Baja bowls. Again, I was worried because I think the website said one
> bowl was 81 g of carb. I figured this must be a huge meal and I would
> have to restrain myself. Until I saw how much went into it. Yes there
> was rice. But not an overly large amount. And there were refried beans.
> But not much. Then a meat topping (very small amount of carbs in the
> sauce) and some fresh salsa.
>
> I went ahead and ate the entire bowl (it was small) and a few of the chips
> and some salsa. I could tell by the way Angela was looking and the way
> she wolfed her way down to the last chip (she gave me half) that she could
> have easily had another bowl. I didn't get her one though since she
> always gets a small Jamba juice after. She did ask for a medium juice
> tonight though.
>
> At any rate, my BG was 104 after eating. Had been 188 prior to eating.
> Why 188? Maybe because I'm still sick. I don't know. Have had this
> cough thing for over 3 weeks now.
>
> I am glad that the food wasn't overly large or overly carby, but it does
> annoy me that they seem not to have the correct carb count on their
> website.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i think the carb count was correct as they count fiber as carbs too so the
>beans etc were counted high even though thier impact on you bg was less due
>to the protien and fiber...
>
> that said i know most chains add in a ton of sugar and starch where you
> wouldnt expect there to be...one reason is carbs are cheaper then meat so
> item last longer under the warming lights etc.
>
> Mexican food rarely spikes me even chips but only certain kinds like the
> ones made the old fashioned way soaked in acid then ground and then
> fried...theres alot of fat in that stuff so that helps.
>
> I have to practice portion control or it will sneak up on me later with a
> later rise..somtimes even when im good and eating the same thing as always
> sometime just the onion can spike me up a bit so gotta be viligent.
>
> hope the tots arms ok...if your not getting hurt your not playing enough
> ...lol..least that was my motto as a kid.

They don't add sugar or starch to the food. They do list all the allergens
and such. It lists the Baja bowl as having 10g of fiber. So that's still a
lot more carbs than what I think I got tonight.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

cool!...the only supposedly real ingredients chain we got here is "chipotle"
...but ive never tried it...i like to make my own tacos and nachos
etc...always way better.
taco bell and taco johns uses a ton of "extras" in thiers and it does indeed
spike me way way more then if i make my own.

I make my own fresh guaccomole and salsa cause it takes me less time to
brown beef add spices and prep the cheese and what not, then it does to
goto the place and order the food..lol.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote
> They don't add sugar or starch to the food. They do list all the
> allergens and such. It lists the Baja bowl as having 10g of fiber. So
> that's still a lot more carbs than what I think I got tonight.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> cool!...the only supposedly real ingredients chain we got here is
> "chipotle" ..but ive never tried it...i like to make my own tacos and
> nachos etc...always way better.
> taco bell and taco johns uses a ton of "extras" in thiers and it does
> indeed spike me way way more then if i make my own.
>
> I make my own fresh guaccomole and salsa cause it takes me less time to
> brown beef add spices and prep the cheese and what not, then it does to
> goto the place and order the food..lol.

We have Chipotle here too but I've never tried it. I hate chipotle peppers
so that is one reason. Another is I have not heard very good things about
them in terms of people with food allergies eating there. I believe Taco
Del Mar is quite similar to Chipotle in terms of the menu and the way they
make their food, but perhaps they have a few more choices. For instance you
can get whole pinto, refried or black beans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I ate there before I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. It is good
to know that it is *still* a place where I can go with my husband to
eat a decent meal. ;-)