Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Weird experience yesterday

At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a white
coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all types of
coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial sweetener. The woman
looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we only have white. White sugar
I presume....

I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that doesn't
have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to have it but people
would take more than they needed. I pointed out that most other coffee shops
kept the sweeteners under the counter for that reason... Was a waste of
breath but needed to be said The woman waiting next to me looked at me
and smiled

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a white
> coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all types of
> coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial sweetener. The woman
> looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we only have white. White
> sugar I presume....
>
> I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that doesn't
> have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to have it but
> people would take more than they needed. I pointed out that most other
> coffee shops kept the sweeteners under the counter for that reason... Was
> a waste of breath but needed to be said The woman waiting next to me
> looked at me and smiled

How very odd that they don't have any, and using that as an excuse.
Probably too cheap to buy any, instead of too stupid to keep them behind the
counter. LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 07:48:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a white
>coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all types of
>coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial sweetener. The woman
>looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we only have white. White sugar
>I presume....
>
>I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that doesn't
>have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to have it but people
>would take more than they needed. I pointed out that most other coffee shops
>kept the sweeteners under the counter for that reason... Was a waste of
>breath but needed to be said The woman waiting next to me looked at me
>and smiled

I don't use the sweeteners, but I have a similar experience
when I ask for pure cream. I've found that most coffee-shop
staff have no idea what I mean, so then I ask if they have
"pouring" cream; next step is "whipping" cream. If they have
the cream, I order double-shot black coffee with a side
(usually in a tiny jug) of cream.

I've done this all around the world.

About one in ten have an acceptable version of cream,
unadulterated by sugar. The vast majority have pressure-pak
whipped cream with a very high sugar content. In those other
nine I drink my coffee black; in the USA I sometimes have
half-and-half.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a white
> coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all types of
> coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial sweetener. The woman
> looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we only have white. White
> sugar I presume....
>
> I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that doesn't
> have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to have it but
> people would take more than they needed. I pointed out that most other
> coffee shops kept the sweeteners under the counter for that reason... Was
> a waste of breath but needed to be said The woman waiting next to me
> looked at me and smiled

Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and it
contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite teabags. I
take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a decaf Constant
Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the artificial
sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly for him.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

"Be wise, treat yourself, your mind, sympathetically, with loving kindness.
If you are gentle with yourself, you will become gentle with
hers." --Lama Thubten Yeshe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a
>> white coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all
>> types of coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial
>> sweetener. The woman looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we
>> only have white. White sugar I presume....
>>
>> I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that
>> doesn't have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to
>> have it but people would take more than they needed. I pointed out
>> that most other coffee shops kept the sweeteners under the counter
>> for that reason... Was a waste of breath but needed to be said
>> The woman waiting next to me looked at me and smiled

> Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and it
> contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite teabags.
> I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a decaf
> Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the
> artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly
> for him.

I only ever use it in coffee. I used to carry sweetener tablets around but
the lid came open in my bag one day and I had this big, powdery mess

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 07:48:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > [ . . . ]

> I don't use the sweeteners, but I have a similar experience
> when I ask for pure cream. I've found that most coffee-shop
> staff have no idea what I mean, so then I ask if they have
> "pouring" cream; next step is "whipping" cream. If they have
> the cream, I order double-shot black coffee with a side
> (usually in a tiny jug) of cream. [ . . . ]

I always order doble espresso, doble forte, black, when I'm at an airport
or Italian Ristorante. They all have had Splenda on the self-serve counter.

In the USA, "Whipping" cream is 32% butterfat, "Heavy" cream is 36%.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a
>>> white coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all
>>> types of coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial
>>> sweetener. The woman looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we
>>> only have white. White sugar I presume....
>>>
>>> I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that
>>> doesn't have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to
>>> have it but people would take more than they needed. I pointed out
>>> that most other coffee shops kept the sweeteners under the counter
>>> for that reason... Was a waste of breath but needed to be said
>>> The woman waiting next to me looked at me and smiled

>> Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and it
>> contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite teabags.
>> I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a decaf
>> Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the
>> artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly
>> for him.

> I only ever use it in coffee. I used to carry sweetener tablets around but
> the lid came open in my bag one day and I had this big, powdery mess

I think the packets are easier. You could even put one in your wallet.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

"Be wise, treat yourself, your mind, sympathetically, with loving kindness.
If you are gentle with yourself, you will become gentle with
hers." --Lama Thubten Yeshe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:02:17 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>> Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and it
>> contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite teabags.
>> I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a decaf
>> Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the
>> artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly
>> for him.

>I only ever use it in coffee. I used to carry sweetener tablets around but
>the lid came open in my bag one day and I had this big, powdery mess

Have you considered carrying the Hermesetas pocket
dispensers? They are spill-proof, needing a squeeze of the
dispenser to eject one tablet at a time:

I bought a Hermesetas Gold (based on a blend of Aspartame
and Acesulfame-K) pocket-pack just after diagnosis. I still
have it and it's nearly full because I gave up sweeteners in
hot drinks a few months later.
http://www.hermesetas.com/data/en/pr...australia.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 06:02:08 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>Have you considered carrying the Hermesetas pocket
>dispensers? They are spill-proof, needing a squeeze of the
>dispenser to eject one tablet at a time:

I managed to kill the Splenda equivalent in my handbag, resulting in
about 200 little white pills turning up in the most unexpected places.
It really doesn't help that they look EXACTLY like my thyroxine pills.
Fortunately the security guard at Stansted had obviously seen it all
before...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:02:17 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and
>>> it contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite
>>> teabags. I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and
>>> a decaf Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I
>>> seldom use the artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it,
>>> so it is mostly for him.

>> I only ever use it in coffee. I used to carry sweetener tablets
>> around but the lid came open in my bag one day and I had this big,
>> powdery mess
>>

> Have you considered carrying the Hermesetas pocket
> dispensers? They are spill-proof, needing a squeeze of the
> dispenser to eject one tablet at a time:
>
> I bought a Hermesetas Gold (based on a blend of Aspartame
> and Acesulfame-K) pocket-pack just after diagnosis. I still
> have it and it's nearly full because I gave up sweeteners in
> hot drinks a few months later.
> http://www.hermesetas.com/data/en/pr...australia.html

Might try that, a container would last me a lifetime but handy for
situations like this week. Also handy for having a coffee at someone's
house, not everyone uses artificial sweetener.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 06:02:08 +1000, Alan S
> > wrote:
>
>> Have you considered carrying the Hermesetas pocket
>> dispensers? They are spill-proof, needing a squeeze of the
>> dispenser to eject one tablet at a time:

> I managed to kill the Splenda equivalent in my handbag, resulting in
> about 200 little white pills turning up in the most unexpected places.
> It really doesn't help that they look EXACTLY like my thyroxine pills.
> Fortunately the security guard at Stansted had obviously seen it all
> before...

Mine got crushed by objects in the bag, it was a hell of a mess.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a
>> white coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all
>> types of coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial sweetener.
>> The woman looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we only have
>> white. White sugar I presume....
>>
>> I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that
>> doesn't have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to have
>> it but people would take more than they needed. I pointed out that
>> most other coffee shops kept the sweeteners under the counter for that
>> reason... Was a waste of breath but needed to be said The woman
>> waiting next to me looked at me and smiled

> Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and it
> contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite teabags.
> I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a decaf
> Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the
> artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly for
> him.

Jan, e-mail me and i'll send you a packet of 300 splenda tabs

i order them from the UK as they aren't sold in NA

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Tiger_Lily > wrote:

> Evelyn wrote:
> >

> > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> >> At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a
> >> white coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all
> >> types of coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial sweetener.
> >> The woman looked at me like I was a freak and said oh, we only have
> >> white. White sugar I presume....
> >>
> >> I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that
> >> doesn't have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to have
> >> it but people would take more than they needed. I pointed out that
> >> most other coffee shops kept the sweeteners under the counter for that
> >> reason... Was a waste of breath but needed to be said The woman
> >> waiting next to me looked at me and smiled

> > Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and it
> > contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite teabags.
> > I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a decaf
> > Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the
> > artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly for
> > him.
> >

> Jan, e-mail me and i'll send you a packet of 300 splenda tabs
>
> i order them from the UK as they aren't sold in NA

Funny, I've gotten them from a friend in Australia. When those ran out,
I bought some in my local supermarket; the packet that I have is marked
"made in Italy".

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily wrote:
> Evelyn wrote:
>>

>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> At our local shopping centre (mall) food court yesterday I ordered a
>>> white coffee from a cafe/sandwich &salad bar/ juice bar. They do all
>>> types of coffees, teas, shakes etc. I asked for artificial
>>> sweetener. The woman looked at me like I was a freak and said oh,
>>> we only have white. White sugar I presume....
>>>
>>> I said I am a diabetic and how unusual to find a coffee shop that
>>> doesn't have artificial sweeteners. Her reply was oh, we used to
>>> have it but people would take more than they needed. I pointed out
>>> that most other coffee shops kept the sweeteners under the counter
>>> for that reason... Was a waste of breath but needed to be said
>>> The woman waiting next to me looked at me and smiled

>> Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and
>> it contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite
>> teabags. I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a
>> decaf
>> Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the
>> artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly
>> for him.
>>

> Jan, e-mail me and i'll send you a packet of 300 splenda tabs
>
> i order them from the UK as they aren't sold in NA

Thanks but it is ok, most if not all of the artificial sweeteners here come
in tabs, they have done for as long as I can remember which is abut 35
years. Very convenient. Slip in the handbag and take everywhere. Just got to
be careful to get ones that don't have easy to open lids

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >,
> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
>
>> Evelyn wrote:

>>> Ozgirl, I always carry a tiny little zipper purse in my handbag and it
>>> contains some packets of splenda and a couple of my favorite teabags.
>>> I take a regular and a decaf chai teabag and a regular and a decaf
>>> Constant Comment teabag in that little purse also. I seldom use the
>>> artificial sweetener, but my husband always uses it, so it is mostly for
>>> him.
>>>

>> Jan, e-mail me and i'll send you a packet of 300 splenda tabs
>>
>> i order them from the UK as they aren't sold in NA

> Funny, I've gotten them from a friend in Australia. When those ran out,
> I bought some in my local supermarket; the packet that I have is marked
> "made in Italy".

whoa........... Alice, you are in Canada, right?

and you found Splenda tablets?????

where?

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Tiger_Lily > wrote:

> whoa........... Alice, you are in Canada, right?
>
> and you found Splenda tablets?????
>
> where?

No, the US. I've seen them in both my local supermarkets (both major
internationally-owned chains), in Connecticut. They're pricy, but
convenient for tea.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >,
> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
>

>> whoa........... Alice, you are in Canada, right?
>>
>> and you found Splenda tablets?????
>>
>> where?

> No, the US. I've seen them in both my local supermarkets (both major
> internationally-owned chains), in Connecticut. They're pricy, but
> convenient for tea.

well good they are available in the US now...... typically things move
to Canada about a year after the US gets them.

the Splenda tablets, with conversion and shipping costs work out to
about what the Equal tablets cost

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Tiger_Lily > wrote:

> Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> >

> >> whoa........... Alice, you are in Canada, right?
> >>
> >> and you found Splenda tablets?????
> >>
> >> where?

> > No, the US. I've seen them in both my local supermarkets (both major
> > internationally-owned chains), in Connecticut. They're pricy, but
> > convenient for tea.
> >

> well good they are available in the US now...... typically things move
> to Canada about a year after the US gets them.
>
> the Splenda tablets, with conversion and shipping costs work out to
> about what the Equal tablets cost

Do you have generic sucralose yet? We started getting variants of
Splenda like the tablets around the time the first generic boxes of the
packets showed up.

The funny thing is that Splenda itself was available in Canada long
before it was available in the US. When I first went to Nova Scotia for
vacation, I brought back what I hoped would be a year's supply of the
Splenda granular!

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >,
> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
>
>> Alice Faber wrote:

>>> No, the US. I've seen them in both my local supermarkets (both major
>>> internationally-owned chains), in Connecticut. They're pricy, but
>>> convenient for tea.
>>>

>> well good they are available in the US now...... typically things move
>> to Canada about a year after the US gets them.
>>
>> the Splenda tablets, with conversion and shipping costs work out to
>> about what the Equal tablets cost

> Do you have generic sucralose yet? We started getting variants of
> Splenda like the tablets around the time the first generic boxes of the
> packets showed up.
>
> The funny thing is that Splenda itself was available in Canada long
> before it was available in the US. When I first went to Nova Scotia for
> vacation, I brought back what I hoped would be a year's supply of the
> Splenda granular!

haven't looked around for the generic sucralose, didn't know it was
available! oops

yes, splenda was here for a good 8 to 9 years before the US approved it,
but when i contact them, they tell me 'there is no demand for the tablets'

HUH? LOL

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber > wrote:
: In article >,
: Tiger_Lily > wrote:

: > Alice Faber wrote:
: > > In article >,
: > > Tiger_Lily > wrote:
: > >
: > >
: > >> whoa........... Alice, you are in Canada, right?
: > >>
: > >> and you found Splenda tablets?????
: > >>
: > >> where?
: > >
: > > No, the US. I've seen them in both my local supermarkets (both major
: > > internationally-owned chains), in Connecticut. They're pricy, but
: > > convenient for tea.
: > >
: > well good they are available in the US now...... typically things move
: > to Canada about a year after the US gets them.
: >
: > the Splenda tablets, with conversion and shipping costs work out to
: > about what the Equal tablets cost

: Do you have generic sucralose yet? We started getting variants of
: Splenda like the tablets around the time the first generic boxes of the
: packets showed up.

: The funny thing is that Splenda itself was available in Canada long
: before it was available in the US. When I first went to Nova Scotia for
: vacation, I brought back what I hoped would be a year's supply of the
: Splenda granular!

I have not seen the boxes of generic, but I do get the big bags of generic
sucralose at Walmark when manage to get to one.

Wendy