Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Yoriko's onion ramen soup

My late wife Yoriko, made a few things with ramen. One of them I really
enjoyed was her onion ramen soup. I liked it for breakfast but you could
have it any time. It uses a package of beef ramen.

1 medium onion, red or yellow, slice thin
1 pkg of beef ramen
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs dry white wine
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 small bay leaf
dash garlic powder
dash dried thyme
pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium low heat
until well browned, but not burned, 10-15 minutes.

Add the water, wine, bay leaf, garlic powder and thyme; simmer about 5
minutes. Break romen noodles in half and add them to the soup. Stir with a
fork and cook for 3 minutes. Add ramin flavor pack and stir. Season to taste
with pepper. Discard the bay leaf.

Makes 2 - 30 carb servings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"anon aka" > wrote in message
> My late wife Yoriko, made a few things with ramen. One of them I really
> enjoyed was her onion ramen soup. I liked it for breakfast but you could
> have it any time. It uses a package of beef ramen.
>
> 1 medium onion, red or yellow, slice thin
> 1 pkg of beef ramen
> 2 tbs olive oil
> 1 tbs dry white wine
> 2 1/2 cups water
> 1/2 small bay leaf
> dash garlic powder
> dash dried thyme
> pepper to taste
>
> In a small saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium low heat
> until well browned, but not burned, 10-15 minutes.
>
> Add the water, wine, bay leaf, garlic powder and thyme; simmer about 5
> minutes. Break romen noodles in half and add them to the soup. Stir with a
> fork and cook for 3 minutes. Add ramin flavor pack and stir. Season to
> taste with pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
>
> Makes 2 - 30 carb servings.

I used to eat Ramen, many years ago. I would eat the whole package though.
Can't do that now!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"anon aka" > wrote:
> My late wife Yoriko, made a few things with ramen.

[saved]

Sounds really good.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "anon aka" > wrote:
>> My late wife Yoriko, made a few things with ramen.

> [saved]
>
> Sounds really good.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

The best thing about it is that it costs less than $1.00 to prepare.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sep 9, 7:11*pm, "anon aka" > wrote:
> My late wife Yoriko, made a few things with ramen. One of them I really
> enjoyed was her onion ramen soup. I liked it for breakfast but you could
> have it any time. It uses a package of beef ramen.
>
> 1 * *medium onion, red or yellow, slice thin
> 1 * *pkg of beef ramen
> 2 * *tbs olive oil
> 1 * *tbs dry white wine
> 2 1/2 cups water
> 1/2 small bay leaf
> dash garlic powder
> dash dried thyme
> pepper to taste
>
> In a small saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium low heat
> until well browned, but not burned, 10-15 minutes.
>
> Add the water, wine, bay leaf, garlic powder and thyme; simmer about 5
> minutes. Break romen noodles in half and add them to the soup. Stir with a
> fork and cook for 3 minutes. Add ramin flavor pack and stir. Season to taste
> with pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
>
> Makes 2 - 30 carb servings.

Thanks for posting this Anon. My hubby loves Ramen Noodles, and I'm
sure he will like this. Also, seems quick and easy. I like that. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> On Sep 9, 7:11 pm, "anon aka" > wrote:
>> My late wife Yoriko, made a few things with ramen. One of them I really
>> enjoyed was her onion ramen soup. I liked it for breakfast but you could
>> have it any time. It uses a package of beef ramen.
>>
>> 1 medium onion, red or yellow, slice thin
>> 1 pkg of beef ramen
>> 2 tbs olive oil
>> 1 tbs dry white wine
>> 2 1/2 cups water
>> 1/2 small bay leaf
>> dash garlic powder
>> dash dried thyme
>> pepper to taste
>>
>> In a small saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium low heat
>> until well browned, but not burned, 10-15 minutes.
>>
>> Add the water, wine, bay leaf, garlic powder and thyme; simmer about 5
>> minutes. Break romen noodles in half and add them to the soup. Stir with a
>> fork and cook for 3 minutes. Add ramin flavor pack and stir. Season to taste
>> with pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
>>
>> Makes 2 - 30 carb servings.

> Thanks for posting this Anon. My hubby loves Ramen Noodles, and I'm
> sure he will like this. Also, seems quick and easy. I like that. :-)
>
> Cheri

One package of ramen noodle soup has over 63 grams of carbohydrates.
It's also full of fat and sodium. You all must be pretty healthy folks
to be able to eat ramen noodles,especially with diabetes.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sep 10, 1:28*pm, Janet Wilder

> One package of ramen noodle soup has over 63 grams of carbohydrates.
> It's also full of fat and sodium. You all must be pretty healthy folks
> to be able to eat ramen noodles,especially with diabetes.

Actually, my husband who eats it is *very* healthy, not overweight at
all, great BP etc, and non-diabetic. Myself, I don't eat them. Anon
uses insulin, so it's probably not a problem for him either.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> On Sep 10, 1:28 pm, Janet Wilder
>

>> One package of ramen noodle soup has over 63 grams of carbohydrates.
>> It's also full of fat and sodium. You all must be pretty healthy folks
>> to be able to eat ramen noodles,especially with diabetes.

> Actually, my husband who eats it is *very* healthy, not overweight at
> all, great BP etc, and non-diabetic. Myself, I don't eat them. Anon
> uses insulin, so it's probably not a problem for him either.
>
> Cheri

My DH uses insulin, too, but he also watches his carb intake. 63 grams
of carbs would be quite a bolus. An entire meal is, at most, 35 grams.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> On Sep 10, 1:28 pm, Janet Wilder
>>

>>> One package of ramen noodle soup has over 63 grams of carbohydrates.
>>> It's also full of fat and sodium. You all must be pretty healthy folks
>>> to be able to eat ramen noodles,especially with diabetes.

>> Actually, my husband who eats it is *very* healthy, not overweight at
>> all, great BP etc, and non-diabetic. Myself, I don't eat them. Anon
>> uses insulin, so it's probably not a problem for him either.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> My DH uses insulin, too, but he also watches his carb intake. 63 grams of
> carbs would be quite a bolus. An entire meal is, at most, 35 grams.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> On Sep 10, 1:28 pm, Janet Wilder
>>

>>> One package of ramen noodle soup has over 63 grams of carbohydrates.
>>> It's also full of fat and sodium. You all must be pretty healthy folks
>>> to be able to eat ramen noodles,especially with diabetes.

>> Actually, my husband who eats it is *very* healthy, not overweight at
>> all, great BP etc, and non-diabetic. Myself, I don't eat them. Anon
>> uses insulin, so it's probably not a problem for him either.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> My DH uses insulin, too, but he also watches his carb intake. 63 grams of
> carbs would be quite a bolus. An entire meal is, at most, 35 grams.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

The two brands of ramen available in my area both have 50 net carbs per
package. They have 52g carb and 2g fiber. I don't know what brand has 63.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

anon aka wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:
>>> On Sep 10, 1:28 pm, Janet Wilder

>>> Actually, my husband who eats it is *very* healthy, not overweight at
>>> all, great BP etc, and non-diabetic. Myself, I don't eat them. Anon
>>> uses insulin, so it's probably not a problem for him either.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> My DH uses insulin, too, but he also watches his carb intake. 63 grams of
>> carbs would be quite a bolus. An entire meal is, at most, 35 grams.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
>> Good Friends. Good Life

> The two brands of ramen available in my area both have 50 net carbs per
> package. They have 52g carb and 2g fiber. I don't know what brand has 63.

I use the USDA SR20 for nutrition information. We don't net out any
fiber less than 5 grams per serving. We've had several Diabetes
educators and that seems to be the way they do it. The only diet that
I'm aware of that nets out less than 5 grams of carbs (and sugar
alcohols at 100%) is Atkins.

We'll stick to homemade soups with better nutritional values.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Ramen-type noodles in homemade soup Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 31 25-01-2011 04:00 PM
Onion Soup Read Recipes (moderated) 0 17-09-2005 01:02 AM
Onion soup mix Nancy Young General Cooking 19 03-09-2005 12:32 AM
Env. onion soup mix? Larry G General Cooking 3 03-04-2005 05:31 AM