Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How does a DM survive the hospital?

DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection
that hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.

Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of
paper that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat
bread, two packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with
potatoes and macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of
American cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I
estimated the carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.

Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I
also demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs
per mea1 (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or
roll that they seem to find an absolute).

Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital
kitchen to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?

I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
kill him)

TIA
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection that
> hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
>
> Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of paper
> that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat bread, two
> packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with potatoes and
> macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of American
> cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I estimated the
> carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.
>
> Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I also
> demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs per mea1
> (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or roll that
> they seem to find an absolute).
>
> Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital kitchen
> to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy recovery
> so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to kill him)
>
> TIA
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

=============
I'm sure it's a conspiracy. I was in the hospital last fall for a couple of
days
with a lower GI bleed-out, and my experience was the same. The diet
perscribed for me was liquid to soft. Imagine my surprise when for
breakfast
I was presented with oatmeal with a packet of sugar, toast, and OJ. The
aide
who brought the food must have heard my gasp and comment to my husband
as she was leaving the room that "they know I'm diabetic". She came back a
few secs later and picked up the packet of sugar and replaced it with
Splenda!
Lunch was a cup of beef boullion, crackers and vanilla pudding, not sugar
free.
Dinner was pretty much the same.

I worried about the hospital meals there because of reading horror stories
like
yours on the diabetic groups and was relieved somewhat when on my first day
there the dietician stopped by and we talked for over an hour. I told her I
was a
low carber and did well on the Atkins diet. She complimented me on my
numbers
and said she wished all diabetic patients would be so pro-active in managing
their
diabetes. I told her it was no thanks to the ADA/diet but to the DIABETES
GROUPS.
Anyway, long story short, she laughed when I said "no white stuff" to her
question
of what I don't eat. By the time she left I was confident that there would
be no
problem with the meals.

The slip of paper that came with the meals said, "No potatoes,bread, pasta
or rice."
For the rest of my time there I refused the hi-carb-fest they brought to me
and asked that
for breakfast, lunch and I dinner I have the beef/chicken boullion - which
was delicious.
Instead of a cup they brought it in a huge bowl. I was concerned about the
sodium
but it never was a problem. I was grateful that I didn't have to be in
there longer than
two to three days. The day I went home my numbers were were within normal
range.

After my experience and reading of others I'd say bring food from home as
you can't depend
on the hospital or trust the resident dietician to follow through.

ARRGGHH! When are they going to *get it?*
Good luck!
Mrs. H

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection that
> hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
>
> Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of paper
> that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat bread, two
> packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with potatoes and
> macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of American
> cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I estimated the
> carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.
>
> Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I also
> demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs per mea1
> (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or roll that
> they seem to find an absolute).
>
> Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital kitchen
> to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy recovery
> so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to kill him)
>
> TIA
> --
> Janet Wilder

I've read that if you can convince your doctor he has a food
allergy, he's likely to get meals prepared in a separate kitchen
that's easier to persuade what he shouldn't have. You can
prepare a list of the more common starchy foods - wheat,
Irish potatoes, rice, and probably a few more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Mrs. H" > wrote:

> ARRGGHH! When are they going to *get it?*

I've got some unhappy news for you. A month or so ago I was at the
Joslin Clinic, supposed gem of diabetes treatment. I told my new
endocrinologist that my previous endocrinologist (not at Joslin) had
said that within ten years low-carbing would be the recommended
treatment for type 2 diabetes. Her reply? "Well, he was wrong."

Scary. Really really scary. Their interpretation of the ACCORD study
is that keeping one's BG in tight control can kill you. They totally
ignore the actual findings -- that the increased death rate was among
people eating high carb and taking at least three medications to allow
tight control. Details like *how* one maintains tight control are too
difficult for them to notice.

I think they're not just in the pocket of big pharma but own shares in
funeral parlors as well. Something is seriously wrong with the system!

PP, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection that
> hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
>
> Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of paper
> that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat bread, two
> packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with potatoes and
> macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of American
> cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I estimated the
> carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.
>
> Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I also
> demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs per mea1
> (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or roll that
> they seem to find an absolute).
>
> Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital kitchen
> to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy recovery
> so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to kill him)

I would just try to bring food from home. When my dad was in there for
feeling faint, they gave him a puny sandwich on white bread, some fruit and
a small cup of juice. There was no notation that it was diabetic and they
brought it quite late. Probably wouldn't have been too bad had he not eaten
it as a snack and then gone out to dinner after they released him. I don't
think this was their normal meal. When my husband was in there he got meals
with lower carbs. And he's not a diabetic.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote in message

>Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital
>kitchen to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to

them?

>I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
>recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
>kill him)

You have my wishes for his speedy recovery Janet. As to the diet, we
went round and round with the hospital dietician over the diet that
was pawned off as a diabetic diet with a close friend, but it really
did no good. They continued to serve the same meals, with a "we know
best" attitude and some hostility at us" Good luck.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
: Good Friends. Good Life

Hospitals are the pits regardign food. When I was in after that auto
accident last year, I had quite a hard time, but finallyws given a n
alternate menu from which yu coul dorder anfor any meal. I took to havien
ghte cottage cheese adn fruit saad at breakfast, lettuce and all, and
sometimes for lunchtoo. Once you get the menu sheets, you can just not
order some foods, but you may well have too little left to satisfy hunger.
I kept nagging etc. I had a aterrible time maintaining my bgs because
they didn't hve metformin ex adn I wasn't going to risk the terrible runs
along with the pain, dizziness, etc that I was suffering. they gave me a
pretty hefty dose of a sulf after I had eaaten a very carb controlled meal
and i hypoes big time. they would only test me before a meal and I had
only a few strips from home with me(husband in hospital too) so had a
hard time adjussting. I took to keing soem orange juice and crackers on
my bed tray in case I hypoed again. they waned to fil bme up with carbs
and sulphs( or is it sulfs?)! It was terrible! Fortunatly, it was only
about 4-5 days. When I got home I had to start my metformin back at 1 a
day graadually building up to my 2,000mgs a day dose, even with the ex
version.

I fought the whole time, even seeign a diatbetes person(I think md, but
not sure) to whom I showed my log book for my pre-hospital numbers. I
don't think she believed the numbers and kept encouraging me to eat those
damded carbs=juice, toast, cereal, milk on the breakfast tray wit a smal
pile of eggbeaters! Once I got that alternate menu with the salads, etc
on it I wa dong a bit better, except for that sulf!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:46:42 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
>recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
>kill him)

Very best wishes to him - sounds dire!! Hope you're out of there ASAP.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:46:42 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection
>that hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
>
>Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of
>paper that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat
>bread, two packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with
>potatoes and macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of
>American cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I
>estimated the carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.
>
>Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I
>also demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs
>per mea1 (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or
>roll that they seem to find an absolute).
>
>Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital
>kitchen to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?
>
>I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
>recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
>kill him)
>
>TIA

Best wishes for his procedures.

I've read the other replies. Specify his needs verbally to
the dietician or person in charge of the kitchen but back it
up in writing with a letter to multiple addressees. It
should at least be addressed to the hospital dietician but
with copies to his own doctor, the hospital doctor or
surgeon, the ward supervisor and the CEO of the hospital.
It's amazing what the written word can do; at least one of
those addressees will immediately start thinking of possible
lawsuits if they don't comply with your request.

Until the letter works, if they don't meet his needs, the
advice to bring food from home sounds good.

At the foot of this I have copied the letter prepared by
Bernstein that Susan mentioned. Maybe that will help with
some ideas for you.

Also make sure the staff are aware of the need for stable
BGs while he is hospital. If you need support bring these to
the attention of his medical staff:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
Intensive insulin therapy in the critically ill patients.
"CONCLUSIONS: Intensive insulin therapy to maintain blood
glucose at or below 110 mg per deciliter reduces morbidity
and mortality among critically ill patients in the surgical
intensive care unit."

http://www.jci.org/114/9/1187?content_type=abstract
How does blood glucose control with insulin save lives in
intensive care?
"Insulin resistance and hyperglycemia accompany critical
illness, and the severity of this €śdiabetes of stress€ť
reflects the risk of death. Recently it was shown that
preventing hyperglycemia with insulin substantially improves
outcome of critical illness."

Bernsteins letter:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ber...gust142001.htm

Dear Dr. __________

I am scheduled for admission to your hospital on _______

I have Type (1 or 2) diabetes and am naturally concerned
about control of my blood sugars while hospitalized.

It is now generally accepted that elevated blood sugar
levels impede recovery, prolong hospitalization, and
increase the incidence of hospital death. Major health
problems brought about by inappropriate blood sugar
elevations during hospitalization have justifiably led to
litigation.

Since I have been successful at keeping my blood sugars
essentially normal around the clock, I naturally expect
equivalent care while Im in the hands of medical
professionals.

I currently take the following medications for controlling
my blood sugars:
[List here doses, times, and purposes of medications:
€śbasal insulin (or OHA) to cover the fasting state €“ must
receive even if not eating.€ť €śprelunch (breakfast, supper)
insulin (or OHA), to be skipped if meal is skipped.€ť Detail
also any use of insulin or glucose tablets for correcting
off-target blood sugars, etc. Also indicate your target
blood sugar. You may also include a sample log sheet and
request that all medications used by the hospital be listed
on it if you are not capable of listing them yourself.]

My hospital orders should call for a €śnormal diet€ť and not
a €śdiabetic diet,€ť so that I can select my own meals.

Routine intravenous fluids should not contain caloric
substances such as glucose, fructose, lactose, or lactated
Ringers solution (except for treatment of blood sugars that
are below my target). All of these substances will raise my
blood sugar to unacceptable levels.

Normal or half-normal saline solutions are perfectly
adequate for routine hydration.

If I am conscious and without cognitive impairment, I
should have full responsibility for treatment of my diabetes
€“ without outside interference.

My blood sugar meter and blood sugar control medications,
including insulin syringes, should not be confiscated by
hospital personnel. This is a barbaric practice that is
rapidly being abandoned in modern hospitals.*

If I am unable to care for my own blood sugars, I expect
that the hospital staff will exercise every effort to
maintain my blood sugars within the range of [00-00]

Sincerely,

Cc: [Hospital administrator]

[Close relative or friend]

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> [...]
> hard time adjussting. I took to keing soem orange juice and crackers on
> my bed tray in case I hypoed again. they waned to fil bme up with carbs
> and sulphs( or is it sulfs?)! It was terrible! Fortunatly, it was only
> about 4-5 days. When I got home I had to start my metformin back at 1 a
> day graadually building up to my 2,000mgs a day dose, even with the ex
> version.
>
> I fought the whole time, even seeign a diatbetes person(I think md, but
> not sure) to whom I showed my log book for my pre-hospital numbers. I
> don't think she believed the numbers and kept encouraging me to eat those
> damded carbs=juice, toast, cereal, milk on the breakfast tray wit a smal
> pile of eggbeaters! Once I got that alternate menu with the salads, etc
> on it I wa dong a bit better, except for that sulf!

Wendy, how could they force you to take the sulf? We don't sign away
our rights in the hospital.

PP, T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> My blood sugar meter and blood sugar control medications,
> including insulin syringes, should not be confiscated by
> hospital personnel. This is a barbaric practice that is
> rapidly being abandoned in modern hospitals.*

CONFISCATED?? How do they justify this?

--
Don't bother with piddly crap like "gun control".
Life is 100% fatal. Ban it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> Wendy, how could they force you to take the sulf? We don't sign away
> our rights in the hospital.

What is sulf?

--
Don't bother with piddly crap like "gun control".
Life is 100% fatal. Ban it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Janet Wilder > wrote:
: > : DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection
: > : that hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
: >
[...]
: > : --
[...]

I was getting no diabetic meds, just tring , as best as I could, to
control by food. I decided to try it ONCE adn it was not a good idea. I
would not take it the next day. They had absolutely no respect for my
system of controlliing, but th eyoung women who took my bgs before every
meal couldn't belive my usual numbers even though I was not pleased with
them.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection that
>> hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
>>
>> Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of paper
>> that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat bread, two
>> packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with potatoes and
>> macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of American
>> cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I estimated the
>> carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.
>>
>> Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I also
>> demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs per mea1
>> (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or roll that
>> they seem to find an absolute).
>>
>> Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital kitchen
>> to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?
>>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy recovery
>> so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to kill him)

> I would just try to bring food from home. When my dad was in there for
> feeling faint, they gave him a puny sandwich on white bread, some fruit and
> a small cup of juice. There was no notation that it was diabetic and they
> brought it quite late. Probably wouldn't have been too bad had he not eaten
> it as a snack and then gone out to dinner after they released him. I don't
> think this was their normal meal. When my husband was in there he got meals
> with lower carbs. And he's not a diabetic.

He said they brought him a snack tonight of crackers, fruit juice and a
little peanut butter. If someone would check his BG, maybe he could have
used the juice.

DH is not a low carber. He has an insulin pump. Most of his meals are
between 20-30 grams of carbs, but he can bolus to take care of them. The
hospital is serving him double his usual intake and calling it a
"Diabetic" diet.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> [...]
> hard time adjussting. I took to keing soem orange juice and crackers on
> my bed tray in case I hypoed again. they waned to fil bme up with carbs
> and sulphs( or is it sulfs?)! It was terrible! Fortunatly, it was only
> about 4-5 days. When I got home I had to start my metformin back at 1 a
> day graadually building up to my 2,000mgs a day dose, even with the ex
> version.
>
> I fought the whole time, even seeign a diatbetes person(I think md, but
> not sure) to whom I showed my log book for my pre-hospital numbers. I
> don't think she believed the numbers and kept encouraging me to eat those
> damded carbs=juice, toast, cereal, milk on the breakfast tray wit a smal
> pile of eggbeaters! Once I got that alternate menu with the salads, etc
> on it I wa dong a bit better, except for that sulf!

They haven't given him any menu. The gal from food service comes in and
offers choices. He was in the shower today so she asked me to make the
choices. Breakfast was either bacon and eggs or french toast. French
toast?? I said the former. She said it came with a muffin. I said that's
okay he can have half an English muffin. She said, no, it comes with a
bran muffin. Sigh. Lunch choice was some kind of meat with rice
(RICE???) or tomato stuffed with tuna salad. I chose the tuna. It will
probably come ringed with canned fruit <g> Dinner was either meat with
noodles or turkey with mashed potatoes and stuffing. No, I am not
kidding. I asked for a chef salad.

DH is on coumadin and he needs to have his vitamin K levels kept even.
He eats salad every day so they need to give him salad every day. Last
night his IV got tangles and he bled all over the place. He's definitely
not getting enough vegetables.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:46:42 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
>> recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
>> kill him)

> Very best wishes to him - sounds dire!! Hope you're out of there ASAP.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Thanks, Nicky. He was feeling a bit better today. Still off his feed and
I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't trust the food or he's just not
hungry.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:46:42 -0500, Janet Wilder

> >> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
> >> recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
> >> kill him)

> > Very best wishes to him - sounds dire!! Hope you're out of there ASAP.

> Thanks, Nicky. He was feeling a bit better today. Still off his feed and
> I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't trust the food or he's just not
> hungry.

I think this is the most depressing thread I've read on any of the diabetes
groups. I'll have to review my Living Will with regard to BG testing, diet
and IVs. If it doesn't save me, it'll at least give my widow more ammo for
a lawsuit! I've had the same lawyer for 47 years. He's good!

Good luck to DH, Janet. Keep fighting for him. It'll encourage him, too!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ugh..i really really hat how stupid they can be.
When i was 17 i was a amateur body builder and weighed 260 pounds..but my
body fat was 5 percent or so...i developed pneumonia and was coughing up
blood from my lungs and hosptialised.

Well they asked me my wight and i told them and they tsk tsked saying i was
OBESE..lol..i was like "lady you cant find a spot of fat on me how you
figure this??"

her response was "we go by our chart and your highet and wight put you into
the obese catagory so were putting you on a diet while your here.

Even back then i was low carbing..living off egg whites and canned tunna and
chicken breasts and broccoli so i expected a diet meal to be protien and a
veggie so i said fine ill take the diet plan..and like yer DH got a tray of
carbs..thier big idea of diet was to replace the bread with psudo wheat and
the butter with margerin and the jelly with honey....none of which i wanted
to eat and when i complained was marked a non compliant eater..lol.

Last time i was in hosptial about 10 years ago they gave you a list of
things to pick from..tell them you have a specific diet for religious
reasons and they MUST comply...lol

The will do egg whites omlets etc if requested..least here they would..but
yes you mighthave to bring him meals and snacks.

I recomend buying him nuts he likes like almonds atc to snack on and like
crystal light to mix into his water..when i was in hospital they loved
bringing jugs of ice water..was never without so crystal light woulda been
nice to have.

Ill send all the best vibes and thoughts to you both.

KROM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection that
> hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
>
> Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of paper
> that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat bread, two
> packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with potatoes and
> macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of American
> cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I estimated the
> carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.
>
> Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I also
> demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs per mea1
> (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or roll that
> they seem to find an absolute).
>
> Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital kitchen
> to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy recovery
> so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to kill him)
>
> TIA
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When i went into the ER at dx they gave me a IV for dehydration and
insulin... yet my numbers never budged till i got home..im pretty sure the
dopes gave me a sugar filled IV..sigh

KROM

"Susan" > wrote
> Only if the doctor orders a high protein, low carb diet will they comply.
> :-/ And watch for sugar in the IV solution.
>
> Dr. Bernstein has a letter for hospitalizations on his web site, I
> believe, instructions for saline only, no sugar, high carb diet, etc.
>
> Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yes or religious reasons..they must comply with your request..i was given
one menu and when pushed nurse admited theres several menus to accomodate
different dietary needs.
I actually liked the kosher one and ordered off it alot..lol

KROM

"Robert Miles" > wrote
> I've read that if you can convince your doctor he has a food
> allergy, he's likely to get meals prepared in a separate kitchen
> that's easier to persuade what he shouldn't have. You can
> prepare a list of the more common starchy foods - wheat,
> Irish potatoes, rice, and probably a few more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Then you may like this web site:

http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/

It appears to offer such recipes.

"krom" > wrote in message
> Yes or religious reasons..they must comply with your request..i was given
> one menu and when pushed nurse admited theres several menus to accomodate
> different dietary needs.
> I actually liked the kosher one and ordered off it alot..lol
>
> KROM
>
> "Robert Miles" > wrote
>> I've read that if you can convince your doctor he has a food
>> allergy, he's likely to get meals prepared in a separate kitchen
>> that's easier to persuade what he shouldn't have. You can
>> prepare a list of the more common starchy foods - wheat,
>> Irish potatoes, rice, and probably a few more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: He said they brought him a snack tonight of crackers, fruit juice and a
: little peanut butter. If someone would check his BG, maybe he could have
: used the juice.

: DH is not a low carber. He has an insulin pump. Most of his meals are
: between 20-30 grams of carbs, but he can bolus to take care of them. The
: hospital is serving him double his usual intake and calling it a
: "Diabetic" diet.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
: Good Friends. Good Life

I snipped a lot as this was gettign unweildy.

Can you leave the glucometer at the hospital and have him test himself?
If he cant get to wash his hands, you might use the alcohol wipes for this
period, making sure that he lets his finger dry before testing.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Janet Wilder > wrote:
[...]

Two thoughts If they have a chef salad that she had not originally
offered, they must have some list of alternates that re alwasy
available. Ask about it so you can know to order these either orally or
in writing.

I know about those coumadin issues, as my husband is also on that and we
were woried at the time of the auto accident. That is why he was flown
out first. He gets a proton(?) test every week to keep his levels in
order or he ca nthrow clots or bleed depending on which way he goes.
How often are they checking your husband's levels? If he is gettign fewer
vegetables (or those tiny oprotions of vegetables or salad greens they
think is correct) they should be adjustsing his coumadin levels constantly
as they did Syd when he was in the hospital. When Syd was in with his
congestive heart failure and had a badly handled catheter, he bled all
over the bed nand no nurse noticed it except my D-I-L who was in traing at
that time. They had to reduce his Heparin and remove the catherter which
was a great relief to him. It is so important to have his levels checked,
probably several times a day while in the hospital.

Good luck with these issues. Could you try for a Kosher menu? It might
give you some written choices.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Good luck with these issues. Could you try for a Kosher menu? It might
> give you some written choices.

Evidently his white count went down enough for them to let him out this
morning. They gave him an RX for Keflex. I've got him home now where he
can take care of himself (with any help he needs from me).

Wendy, I doubt that there are more than 5 people in the entire Lower Rio
Grande Valley who keep kosher. I, personally, only know of one and he
eats vegetarian unless they go up to Houston and bring home meat. That's
an 11 hour round trip, not counting shopping time. I'm quite certain
that the local hospitals do not have kosher meals.

If he ever has to go in again, I'll make sure we have everything
straight on the doctor's orders prior to admission. I'll bring the
glucometer, too.

thanks all for your good thoughts. It really helped.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: >
[...]

Mazal Tov! And welcome home.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Howard S Shubs > wrote:

> In article >,
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
> > Wendy, how could they force you to take the sulf? We don't sign away
> > our rights in the hospital.

> What is sulf?

Beta stimulator.

PP, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection that
> hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.
>
> Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of paper
> that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat bread, two
> packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with potatoes and
> macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of American
> cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I estimated the
> carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.
>
> Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I also
> demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs per mea1
> (he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or roll that
> they seem to find an absolute).
>
> Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital kitchen
> to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy recovery
> so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to kill him)
>
> TIA
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

I really think meals from home may be your only solution. I was in the
hospital in January (fortunately, for only two days). I had my gall bladder
removed and also had a kidney stone "pulverized." I had a liquid diet, and
they did not serve a single thing that I should eat. I was served jello
(but *not* sugar free), an incredibly sweet and obnoxious fruit "punch,"
canned fruit cocktail (again, loaded with sugar), and various items along
those same lines. The only thing on the menu that would be acceptable for
by diabetic diet was tea, and of course that has no nutritional value. Oh,
yes, I could eat the boullion without worry. I requested a change and was
told that the hospital does not keep any type of sugar-free food! I noticed
similar problems when I visited my mother in another hospital and tried to
eat in the cafeteria. Everything was deep-fried or breaded and literally
loaded with carbs. All I could eat was a small salad. They didn't even
have eggs or any kind of plain meat.

MaryL

Hospital Dora General Cooking 20 18-04-2010 02:28 PM
Christy's in the hospital TFM®[_2_] General Cooking 533 06-11-2008 06:47 PM
My mother is in the hospital (OT) jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 29 30-10-2008 07:09 PM
eating to survive [email protected] General Cooking 34 14-09-2008 05:06 PM
How to survive the Hop shortage [email protected] Beer 0 29-01-2008 09:54 PM