Old 13-07-2008, 04:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How does a DM survive the hospital?

Nicky wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:46:42 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
kill him)

Very best wishes to him - sounds dire!! Hope you're out of there ASAP.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Thanks, Nicky. He was feeling a bit better today. Still off his feed and
I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't trust the food or he's just not
hungry.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Old 13-07-2008, 06:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
Nicky wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:46:42 -0500, Janet Wilder

I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy
recovery so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to
kill him)

Very best wishes to him - sounds dire!! Hope you're out of there ASAP.

Thanks, Nicky. He was feeling a bit better today. Still off his feed and
I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't trust the food or he's just not
hungry.

I think this is the most depressing thread I've read on any of the diabetes
groups. I'll have to review my Living Will with regard to BG testing, diet
and IVs. If it doesn't save me, it'll at least give my widow more ammo for
a lawsuit! I've had the same lawyer for 47 years. He's good!

Good luck to DH, Janet. Keep fighting for him. It'll encourage him, too!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Old 13-07-2008, 06:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ugh..i really really hat how stupid they can be.
When i was 17 i was a amateur body builder and weighed 260 pounds..but my
body fat was 5 percent or so...i developed pneumonia and was coughing up
blood from my lungs and hosptialised.

Well they asked me my wight and i told them and they tsk tsked saying i was
OBESE..lol..i was like "lady you cant find a spot of fat on me how you
figure this??"

her response was "we go by our chart and your highet and wight put you into
the obese catagory so were putting you on a diet while your here.

Even back then i was low carbing..living off egg whites and canned tunna and
chicken breasts and broccoli so i expected a diet meal to be protien and a
veggie so i said fine ill take the diet plan..and like yer DH got a tray of
carbs..thier big idea of diet was to replace the bread with psudo wheat and
the butter with margerin and the jelly with honey....none of which i wanted
to eat and when i complained was marked a non compliant eater..lol.

Last time i was in hosptial about 10 years ago they gave you a list of
things to pick from..tell them you have a specific diet for religious
reasons and they MUST comply...lol

The will do egg whites omlets etc if requested..least here they would..but
yes you mighthave to bring him meals and snacks.

I recomend buying him nuts he likes like almonds atc to snack on and like
crystal light to mix into his water..when i was in hospital they loved
bringing jugs of ice water..was never without so crystal light woulda been
nice to have.

Ill send all the best vibes and thoughts to you both.

KROM

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
DH is in the hospital. He developed a massive urinary tract infection that
hit his kidneys. They are giving him IV antibiotics.

Yesterday the delivered a lunch that was accompanied with a slip of paper
that said "ADA Diabetic" It was two huge slices of whole wheat bread, two
packages of crackers, a cup of minestrone soup (complete with potatoes and
macaroni)and a dish of canned fruit. There was one slice of American
cheese, one slice of ham and one slice of roast beef. I estimated the
carb count to be over 80 grams and stopped at that.

Of course I called the dietary department and had a salad sent up. I also
demanded that his meals be kept to no more than 30 grams of carbs per mea1
(he can work around that by leaving off the ubiquitous bread or roll that
they seem to find an absolute).

Besides bringing him food from home, how does one get the hospital kitchen
to provide for him? Should I make up a menu and give it to them?

I'd appreciate any suggestions (as well as prayers for his speedy recovery
so he can get away from the dietary staff that is trying to kill him)

TIA

Old 13-07-2008, 06:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

When i went into the ER at dx they gave me a IV for dehydration and
insulin... yet my numbers never budged till i got home..im pretty sure the
dopes gave me a sugar filled IV..sigh

KROM

"Susan" wrote
Only if the doctor orders a high protein, low carb diet will they comply.
:-/ And watch for sugar in the IV solution.

Dr. Bernstein has a letter for hospitalizations on his web site, I
believe, instructions for saline only, no sugar, high carb diet, etc.

Susan

Old 13-07-2008, 06:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yes or religious reasons..they must comply with your request..i was given
one menu and when pushed nurse admited theres several menus to accomodate
different dietary needs.
I actually liked the kosher one and ordered off it alot..lol

KROM

"Robert Miles" wrote
I've read that if you can convince your doctor he has a food
allergy, he's likely to get meals prepared in a separate kitchen
that's easier to persuade what he shouldn't have. You can
prepare a list of the more common starchy foods - wheat,
Irish potatoes, rice, and probably a few more.

Old 13-07-2008, 05:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Then you may like this web site:

http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/

It appears to offer such recipes.

Old 13-07-2008, 05:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
: He said they brought him a snack tonight of crackers, fruit juice and a
: little peanut butter. If someone would check his BG, maybe he could have
: used the juice.

: DH is not a low carber. He has an insulin pump. Most of his meals are
: between 20-30 grams of carbs, but he can bolus to take care of them. The
: hospital is serving him double his usual intake and calling it a
: "Diabetic" diet.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
: Good Friends. Good Life

I snipped a lot as this was gettign unweildy.

Can you leave the glucometer at the hospital and have him test himself?
If he cant get to wash his hands, you might use the alcohol wipes for this
period, making sure that he lets his finger dry before testing.

Wendy
Old 13-07-2008, 05:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
:
[...]
: : --
: : Janet Wilder
: : Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
: : Good Friends. Good Life
:
: Hospitals are the pits regardign food. When I was in after that auto
: accident last year, I had quite a hard time, but finallyws given a n
: alternate menu from which yu coul dorder anfor any meal. I took to havien
: ghte cottage cheese adn fruit saad at breakfast, lettuce and all, and
: sometimes for lunchtoo. Once you get the menu sheets, you can just not
: order some foods, but you may well have too little left to satisfy hunger.
: I kept nagging etc. I had a aterrible time maintaining my bgs because
: they didn't hve metformin ex adn I wasn't going to risk the terrible runs
: along with the pain, dizziness, etc that I was suffering. they gave me a
: pretty hefty dose of a sulf after I had eaaten a very carb controlled meal
: and i hypoes big time. they would only test me before a meal and I had
: only a few strips from home with me(husband in hospital too) so had a
: hard time adjussting. I took to keing soem orange juice and crackers on
: my bed tray in case I hypoed again. they waned to fil bme up with carbs
: and sulphs( or is it sulfs?)! It was terrible! Fortunatly, it was only
: about 4-5 days. When I got home I had to start my metformin back at 1 a
: day graadually building up to my 2,000mgs a day dose, even with the ex
: version.
:
: I fought the whole time, even seeign a diatbetes person(I think md, but
: not sure) to whom I showed my log book for my pre-hospital numbers. I
: don't think she believed the numbers and kept encouraging me to eat those
: damded carbs=juice, toast, cereal, milk on the breakfast tray wit a smal
: pile of eggbeaters! Once I got that alternate menu with the salads, etc
: on it I wa dong a bit better, except for that sulf!
:
: Wendy

: They haven't given him any menu. The gal from food service comes in and
: offers choices. He was in the shower today so she asked me to make the
: choices. Breakfast was either bacon and eggs or french toast. French
: toast?? I said the former. She said it came with a muffin. I said that's
: okay he can have half an English muffin. She said, no, it comes with a
: bran muffin. Sigh. Lunch choice was some kind of meat with rice
: (RICE???) or tomato stuffed with tuna salad. I chose the tuna. It will
: probably come ringed with canned fruit g Dinner was either meat with
: noodles or turkey with mashed potatoes and stuffing. No, I am not
: kidding. I asked for a chef salad.

: DH is on coumadin and he needs to have his vitamin K levels kept even.
: He eats salad every day so they need to give him salad every day. Last
: night his IV got tangles and he bled all over the place. He's definitely
: not getting enough vegetables.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Two thoughts If they have a chef salad that she had not originally
offered, they must have some list of alternates that re alwasy
available. Ask about it so you can know to order these either orally or
in writing.

I know about those coumadin issues, as my husband is also on that and we
were woried at the time of the auto accident. That is why he was flown
out first. He gets a proton(?) test every week to keep his levels in
order or he ca nthrow clots or bleed depending on which way he goes.
How often are they checking your husband's levels? If he is gettign fewer
vegetables (or those tiny oprotions of vegetables or salad greens they
think is correct) they should be adjustsing his coumadin levels constantly
as they did Syd when he was in the hospital. When Syd was in with his
congestive heart failure and had a badly handled catheter, he bled all
over the bed nand no nurse noticed it except my D-I-L who was in traing at
that time. They had to reduce his Heparin and remove the catherter which
was a great relief to him. It is so important to have his levels checked,
probably several times a day while in the hospital.

Good luck with these issues. Could you try for a Kosher menu? It might
give you some written choices.

Wendy
Old 13-07-2008, 05:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

Good luck with these issues. Could you try for a Kosher menu? It might
give you some written choices.

Evidently his white count went down enough for them to let him out this
morning. They gave him an RX for Keflex. I've got him home now where he
can take care of himself (with any help he needs from me).

Wendy, I doubt that there are more than 5 people in the entire Lower Rio
Grande Valley who keep kosher. I, personally, only know of one and he
eats vegetarian unless they go up to Houston and bring home meat. That's
an 11 hour round trip, not counting shopping time. I'm quite certain
that the local hospitals do not have kosher meals.

If he ever has to go in again, I'll make sure we have everything
straight on the doctor's orders prior to admission. I'll bring the
glucometer, too.

thanks all for your good thoughts. It really helped.

Old 13-07-2008, 06:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

:
[...]

Mazal Tov! And welcome home.

Wendy

Old 14-07-2008, 01:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Howard S Shubs wrote:

In article ,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

Wendy, how could they force you to take the sulf? We don't sign away
our rights in the hospital.

What is sulf?

Beta stimulator.

PP, T2
Old 28-07-2008, 03:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

[...]

I really think meals from home may be your only solution. I was in the
hospital in January (fortunately, for only two days). I had my gall bladder
removed and also had a kidney stone "pulverized." I had a liquid diet, and
they did not serve a single thing that I should eat. I was served jello
(but *not* sugar free), an incredibly sweet and obnoxious fruit "punch,"
canned fruit cocktail (again, loaded with sugar), and various items along
those same lines. The only thing on the menu that would be acceptable for
by diabetic diet was tea, and of course that has no nutritional value. Oh,
yes, I could eat the boullion without worry. I requested a change and was
told that the hospital does not keep any type of sugar-free food! I noticed
similar problems when I visited my mother in another hospital and tried to
eat in the cafeteria. Everything was deep-fried or breaded and literally
loaded with carbs. All I could eat was a small salad. They didn't even
have eggs or any kind of plain meat.

MaryL

Hospital Dora General Cooking 20 18-04-2010 02:28 PM
Christy's in the hospital TFM®[_2_] General Cooking 533 06-11-2008 05:47 PM
My mother is in the hospital (OT) jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 29 30-10-2008 06:09 PM
eating to survive [email protected] General Cooking 34 14-09-2008 05:06 PM
How to survive the Hop shortage [email protected] Beer 0 29-01-2008 08:54 PM