FoodBanter.com

-   -   Disappointing dinner (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/157846-disappointing-dinner.html)

Nick Cramer 02-07-2008 08:32 AM

Disappointing dinner

Before dinner BG 82. I made a CarbQuik pancake. Supposed to only have 6 gms
of net carbs.

1/2 cup CarbQuik™
1 Tsp Splenda™ bulk or 1 packet (I used one packet)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, very well beaten or whipped (I didn't beat or whip it)
1/4 stick (2 Tbs) butter (melted, not hot)
3 Oz half-and-half (maybe I should have used heavy cream and water?)

One hour PP BG 143! Two hour 105. I used twice as much half & half as in
the scaled down original recipe, which also didn't call for baking powder.
I made a syrup by mixing Splenda with butter until it was slightly sweet.
Damn, I can't do anything right!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Julie Bove 02-07-2008 09:05 AM

Disappointing dinner

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Before dinner BG 82. I made a CarbQuik pancake. Supposed to only have 6
> gms
> of net carbs.
>
> 1/2 cup CarbQuikT
> 1 Tsp SplendaT bulk or 1 packet (I used one packet)
> 1 tsp baking powder
> 1 egg, very well beaten or whipped (I didn't beat or whip it)
> 1/4 stick (2 Tbs) butter (melted, not hot)
> 3 Oz half-and-half (maybe I should have used heavy cream and water?)
>
> One hour PP BG 143! Two hour 105. I used twice as much half & half as in
> the scaled down original recipe, which also didn't call for baking powder.
> I made a syrup by mixing Splenda with butter until it was slightly sweet.
> Damn, I can't do anything right!

Maybe your BG was high before you ate?

Nick Cramer 02-07-2008 09:17 AM

Disappointing dinner

Ozgirl 02-07-2008 10:06 AM

Disappointing dinner

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Before dinner BG 82. I made a CarbQuik pancake. Supposed to only have
> 6 gms of net carbs.
>
> 1/2 cup CarbQuikT
> 1 Tsp SplendaT bulk or 1 packet (I used one packet)
> 1 tsp baking powder
> 1 egg, very well beaten or whipped (I didn't beat or whip it)
> 1/4 stick (2 Tbs) butter (melted, not hot)
> 3 Oz half-and-half (maybe I should have used heavy cream and water?)
>
> One hour PP BG 143! Two hour 105. I used twice as much half & half as
> in the scaled down original recipe, which also didn't call for baking
> powder. I made a syrup by mixing Splenda with butter until it was
> slightly sweet. Damn, I can't do anything right!

I would have washed hands and redone the 1 hour test, it doesn't seem right
to me. Did you have anything else besides the pancake?

Nick Cramer 03-07-2008 06:43 AM

Disappointing dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Before dinner BG 82. I made a CarbQuik pancake. Supposed to only have
> > 6 gms of net carbs.
> >
> > 1/2 cup CarbQuikT
> > 1 Tsp SplendaT bulk or 1 packet (I used one packet)
> > 1 tsp baking powder
> > 1 egg, very well beaten or whipped (I didn't beat or whip it)
> > 1/4 stick (2 Tbs) butter (melted, not hot)
> > 3 Oz half-and-half (maybe I should have used heavy cream and water?)
> >
> > One hour PP BG 143! Two hour 105. I used twice as much half & half as
> > in the scaled down original recipe, which also didn't call for baking
> > powder. I made a syrup by mixing Splenda with butter until it was
> > slightly sweet. Damn, I can't do anything right!

> I would have washed hands and redone the 1 hour test, it doesn't seem
> right to me. Did you have anything else besides the pancake?

Good idea. Thanks, Ozgirl. I'll try that when I get what seems to be an
anomolous reading. All I had was the pancake.

Nick Cramer 03-07-2008 06:55 AM

Disappointing dinner

wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Before dinner BG 82. I made a CarbQuik pancake. Supposed to only have 6
> > gms of net carbs.
> >
> > 1/2 cup CarbQuik™
> > 1 Tsp Splenda™ bulk or 1 packet (I used one packet)
> > 1 tsp baking powder
> > 1 egg, very well beaten or whipped (I didn't beat or whip it)
> > 1/4 stick (2 Tbs) butter (melted, not hot)
> > 3 Oz half-and-half (maybe I should have used heavy cream and water?)
> >
> > One hour PP BG 143! Two hour 105. I used twice as much half & half as
> > in the scaled down original recipe, which also didn't call for baking
> > powder. I made a syrup by mixing Splenda with butter until it was
> > slightly sweet. Damn, I can't do anything right!

> It may be the wheat base of the Carbquik; some of us are extremely
> sensitive to it.

I've had it before with no such problem, Susan. I'll just try 1/4 cup next
time. Problem is I've been losing one or two pounds a week. Now down to
154. I'll never get up to 168 at this rate! Flour tortillas have 18 grams
of net carbs. Gotta check corn. I also like pumpernickel and dark rye
breads, which don't seem to hurt me. All with Limburger and liverwurst,
plus, of course.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 03-07-2008 10:22 PM

Disappointing dinner

Nick Cramer wrote:
> wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> Before dinner BG 82. I made a CarbQuik pancake. Supposed to only have 6
>>> gms of net carbs.
>>>
>>> 1/2 cup CarbQuik™
>>> 1 Tsp Splenda™ bulk or 1 packet (I used one packet)
>>> 1 tsp baking powder
>>> 1 egg, very well beaten or whipped (I didn't beat or whip it)
>>> 1/4 stick (2 Tbs) butter (melted, not hot)
>>> 3 Oz half-and-half (maybe I should have used heavy cream and water?)
>>>
>>> One hour PP BG 143! Two hour 105. I used twice as much half & half as
>>> in the scaled down original recipe, which also didn't call for baking
>>> powder. I made a syrup by mixing Splenda with butter until it was
>>> slightly sweet. Damn, I can't do anything right!

>> It may be the wheat base of the Carbquik; some of us are extremely
>> sensitive to it.

> I've had it before with no such problem, Susan. I'll just try 1/4 cup next
> time. Problem is I've been losing one or two pounds a week. Now down to
> 154. I'll never get up to 168 at this rate! Flour tortillas have 18 grams
> of net carbs. Gotta check corn. I also like pumpernickel and dark rye
> breads, which don't seem to hurt me. All with Limburger and liverwurst,
> plus, of course.

Nick,

Have you tried the Mission brand Carb Balance tortillas. They taste
pretty much like a regular flour tortilla. 5 net grams of carbs. The
ingredients read like a chemistry lab, but they taste pretty good. I
make a casadilla out of them with some Oaxaca cheese for brunch out of
them. I fry it in butter.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Nick Cramer 04-07-2008 09:57 AM

Disappointing dinner

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > wrote:

> >> It may be the wheat base of the Carbquik; some of us are extremely
> >> sensitive to it.

> > I've had it before with no such problem, Susan. I'll just try 1/4 cup
> > next time. Problem is I've been losing one or two pounds a week. Now
> > down to 154. I'll never get up to 168 at this rate! Flour tortillas
> > have 18 grams of net carbs. Gotta check corn. I also like pumpernickel
> > and dark rye breads, which don't seem to hurt me. All with Limburger
> > and liverwurst, plus, of course.

> Nick,
>
> Have you tried the Mission brand Carb Balance tortillas. They taste
> pretty much like a regular flour tortilla. 5 net grams of carbs. The
> ingredients read like a chemistry lab, but they taste pretty good. I
> make a casadilla out of them with some Oaxaca cheese for brunch out of
> them. I fry it in butter.

I don't shop much. My daughter buys the tortillas for her family. I cadge
one every now and then.