Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My last three days

Thurs
BG before dinner 59
Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
One hour PP BG 79

Fri
BG before dinner 74
1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
One hour PP BG 98

Sat
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Thurs
> BG before dinner 59
> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
> One hour PP BG 79
>
> Fri
> BG before dinner 74
> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
> One hour PP BG 98
>
> Sat
> BG before dinner 89
> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
> Two hour PP BG 129

Bagels and oata don't like you Actually many have found that rye products
work better bg-wise than oats and wheat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Thurs
> > BG before dinner 59
> > Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
> > One hour PP BG 79
> >
> > Fri
> > BG before dinner 74
> > 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
> > One hour PP BG 98
> >
> > Sat
> > BG before dinner 89
> > 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
> > Two hour PP BG 129

> Bagels and oata don't like you Actually many have found that rye
> products work better bg-wise than oats and wheat.

Thanks, Ozgirl. I went back and checked the numbers. 13 instances. Both
raised my BG an average of 36.5 points. I'll have to check the pumpernickel
and dark rye. Ok 1/8 cup of pinheads. 1/4 of a bagel. BLT on dark rye. Mmm!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: Thurs
: BG before dinner 59
: Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
: One hour PP BG 79

: Fri
: BG before dinner 74
: 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
: One hour PP BG 98

: Sat
: BG before dinner 89
: 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
: Two hour PP BG 129

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

Nick,
Nice numbers, but why aren' you eating vegetables? A slice of tomaote and
onion on a bagel is nt eating vegetables! Didn't you mother thell you
finsh your vegetables?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> Thurs
>>> BG before dinner 59
>>> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
>>> One hour PP BG 79
>>>
>>> Fri
>>> BG before dinner 74
>>> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
>>> One hour PP BG 98
>>>
>>> Sat
>>> BG before dinner 89
>>> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
>>> Two hour PP BG 129

>> Bagels and oats don't like you Actually many have found that rye
>> products work better bg-wise than oats and wheat.

> Thanks, Ozgirl. I went back and checked the numbers. 13 instances.
> Both raised my BG an average of 36.5 points. I'll have to check the
> pumpernickel and dark rye. Ok 1/8 cup of pinheads. 1/4 of a bagel.
> BLT on dark rye. Mmm!

Rye crackers are good for a snack or part of a meal as well if you like
them. I can get 100% rye crackers here and they don't spike me in
moderation. Just a bit of variety. I often have a large hand sized rye
cracker spread with a bit of mayo and cold, sliced, hard-boiled eggs for a
quick breakfast.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> Thurs
>> BG before dinner 59
>> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
>> One hour PP BG 79

>> Fri
>> BG before dinner 74
>> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
>> One hour PP BG 98

>> Sat
>> BG before dinner 89
>> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
>> Two hour PP BG 129

>> --
>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> families!

> Nick,
> Nice numbers, but why aren' you eating vegetables? A slice of
> tomaote and onion on a bagel is nt eating vegetables! Didn't you
> mother thell you finsh your vegetables?
>
> Wendy

lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Thurs
> BG before dinner 59
> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
> One hour PP BG 79
>
> Fri
> BG before dinner 74
> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
> One hour PP BG 98
>
> Sat
> BG before dinner 89
> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
> Two hour PP BG 129
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at ONE
hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at two
hours.

None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far, it's
the two hour number that matters most.

Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I could
be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Willy wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> Thurs
>> BG before dinner 59
>> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
>> One hour PP BG 79
>>
>> Fri
>> BG before dinner 74
>> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
>> One hour PP BG 98
>>
>> Sat
>> BG before dinner 89
>> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
>> Two hour PP BG 129
>>
>> --
>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> families! I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish
>> American War. They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and
>> Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
>> ~Semper Fi~

> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
> spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were
> at ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher)
> was at two hours.
>
> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus
> far, it's the two hour number that matters most.
>
> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so
> I could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own
> testing.

No, some of my spikes are at 15 minutes, depending on the type of food and
composition of the whole meal. A delayed spike (2 hours) may mean you have a
lot of fat with your carbs or perhaps some gastroparesis. What drugs/insulin
do you take, if any? Traditionally, doctors have advised to test at 2 hours
to see if your bg's are back within normal range. If you are spiking at 2
hours then you are not back in range and you may need to finetune your meals
more. I have found that any spiking is well and truly over by the one hour
mark for me.

> Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Willy wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> Thurs
>> BG before dinner 59
>> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
>> One hour PP BG 79
>>
>> Fri
>> BG before dinner 74
>> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
>> One hour PP BG 98
>>
>> Sat
>> BG before dinner 89
>> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
>> Two hour PP BG 129
>>
>> --
>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
>> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
>> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
> spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
> ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at
> two hours.
>
> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
> it's the two hour number that matters most.
>
> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
> could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.
>
> Willy

your PEAK bg level is around 60 to 70 min after the first bite of food

by the 2 hour level, your bg's should be back down to a 'normal range'

fats and protein affect the absorbtion of carbs and will delay it

do you eat a lot of fat with your meals?

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Depends on the food and the person relaly but if you dont know the food its
best to check at both one and two hours.

I personally spike at a hour for most foods EXCEPT anything with a starch
that ive delayed absorption with fat like pizza or pasta or even a grilled
cheese.

For example if i eat a buttery cheesy grilled chese my start bg might be 80
and the fat will actually drop me to 70 or heck maybe even 60..but i know
better then to panic and try to raise it because eventually the carbs come
and if leave things alone i will go up to 85 or 90 at 2 hours and drop to
basline againg..had i paniced and ate to "correct" the lower number i would
be elevated all day because i messed my self up...but that ME and my system.

this is why testing and learning ones self is vital.

KROM

"Willy" > wrote

based on my own personal experience thus far, it's
> the two hour number that matters most.
>
> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
> could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.
>
> Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:11:03 -0400, "Willy"
> wrote:

>Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
>spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at ONE
>hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at two
>hours.
>
>None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far, it's
>the two hour number that matters most.
>
>Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I could
>be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.
>
>Willy

No, not everyone does agree. My peaks are at one hour,
others are at 90 minutes, others are at two hours. We each
have to find our own peaks. Further, you will find that the
better your control the earlier your peak, at least that's
been the anecdotal experience that I've read over the past
six years.

From my reading of posts here and on mhd and asd.uk, three
Yahoo groups, dlife and the ADA forum the vast majority of
type 2's not on insulin, once they reach reasonable control,
appear to peak at 60-90 minutes after a typical mixed meal.
Usually closer to 60. People on insulin seem to peak later,
often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
control.

How many times have you done a "peak-finding" series after
each of your three main meals of breakfast lunch and dinner?
By that I mean a series of tests at 20-30 minute intervals
after finishing the meal, compassing the period from 30-120
minutes (or longer if numbers are still high at 120).

Read this for a longer discussion on this:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-two-hour.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : []
> Nick,
> Nice numbers, but why aren' you eating vegetables? A slice of tomaote
> and onion on a bagel is nt eating vegetables! Didn't you mother thell
> you finsh your vegetables?

<groan> My Uncle Herbie always told me that I would've been a better kid if
I'd had a sister. Thanks, Sis! Hey! I had chrane, too! 8<D

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> []
> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
> spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
> ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at
> two hours.
>
> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
> it's the two hour number that matters most.
>
> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
> could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.

No problem, Willy. I should probably do more two hour checks. How long
after a meal before you spike depends on how much of what you ate. For
example: On June 16th, my BG was 97. I had one cup of Fettucine Alfredo.
One hour later BG was 144. Two hours 151. Three hours 178. Four hours 102!
I'll have to be more careful to see when it finally goes down. Thanks for
the wakeup call.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Willy wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> Thurs
>>> BG before dinner 59
>>> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
>>> One hour PP BG 79
>>>
>>> Fri
>>> BG before dinner 74
>>> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
>>> One hour PP BG 98
>>>
>>> Sat
>>> BG before dinner 89
>>> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
>>> Two hour PP BG 129
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>>> families! I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish
>>> American War. They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and
>>> Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper
>>> Fi~

>> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
>> spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were
>> at ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher)
>> was at two hours.
>>
>> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus
>> far, it's the two hour number that matters most.
>>
>> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so
>> I could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own
>> testing.

> No, some of my spikes are at 15 minutes, depending on the type of food and
> composition of the whole meal. A delayed spike (2 hours) may mean you have
> a lot of fat with your carbs or perhaps some gastroparesis. What
> drugs/insulin do you take, if any? Traditionally, doctors have advised to
> test at 2 hours to see if your bg's are back within normal range. If you
> are spiking at 2 hours then you are not back in range and you may need to
> finetune your meals more. I have found that any spiking is well and truly
> over by the one hour mark for me.
>>
>> Willy

I take 2x500 Metformin and 35 units of Novolin (at bedtime). I think
perhaps I must be one that digests slowly as My spikes consistently occur at
2 hours, and NEVER spike before that. I've been doing a LOT of testing
lately, and that's the case regardless of what I've eaten.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
> Willy wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> Thurs
>>> BG before dinner 59
>>> Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
>>> One hour PP BG 79
>>>
>>> Fri
>>> BG before dinner 74
>>> 1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
>>> One hour PP BG 98
>>>
>>> Sat
>>> BG before dinner 89
>>> 1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
>>> Two hour PP BG 129
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>>> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
>>> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
>>> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

>> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
>> spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
>> ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at
>> two hours.
>>
>> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
>> it's the two hour number that matters most.
>>
>> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
>> could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.
>>
>> Willy

> your PEAK bg level is around 60 to 70 min after the first bite of food
>
> by the 2 hour level, your bg's should be back down to a 'normal range'
>
> fats and protein affect the absorbtion of carbs and will delay it
>
> do you eat a lot of fat with your meals?
>

> --
> kate
> type 1 since 1987
> www.diabetic-chat.org
> www.diabetic-talk.org
> http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.

Breakfast today was:

3 thin slick bacon.
2 eggs
2 low carb bread

I had no appreciable spike.

Lunch:

Sausage and cheese biscuit (25g carb)....

15 point spike at 2 hours.

Dinner:

Taco Salad (Wendy's) with additional piece of chicken (didn't eat the wrap
portion)

Couldn't test after evening meal, but my evening numbers are 120, which is
the lowest I've had since this all started.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:11:03 -0400, "Willy"
> > wrote:
>
>>Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
>>spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
>>ONE
>>hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at two
>>hours.
>>
>>None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
>>it's
>>the two hour number that matters most.
>>
>>Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
>>could
>>be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.
>>
>>Willy

> No, not everyone does agree. My peaks are at one hour,
> others are at 90 minutes, others are at two hours. We each
> have to find our own peaks. Further, you will find that the
> better your control the earlier your peak, at least that's
> been the anecdotal experience that I've read over the past
> six years.
>
> From my reading of posts here and on mhd and asd.uk, three
> Yahoo groups, dlife and the ADA forum the vast majority of
> type 2's not on insulin, once they reach reasonable control,
> appear to peak at 60-90 minutes after a typical mixed meal.
> Usually closer to 60. People on insulin seem to peak later,
> often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
> control.
>
> How many times have you done a "peak-finding" series after
> each of your three main meals of breakfast lunch and dinner?
> By that I mean a series of tests at 20-30 minute intervals
> after finishing the meal, compassing the period from 30-120
> minutes (or longer if numbers are still high at 120).
>
> Read this for a longer discussion on this:
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-two-hour.html
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)

Actually (as I'm sure you know) I just started consistent regular testing
(rather than 3-4 times a day previously) the last 5 days. But I think your
statement "People on insulin seem to peak later,
> often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
> control." certainly DOES apply to me. I'm just now getting my numbers
> within target range, and I'm a complete newbie, so thanks to everyone for
> their patience.

At this point, all I can say is, in my case, EVERY time I've done 60 and 120
minutes tests, my peak has been at 120, but hopefully within time I'll find
an experience similar to the results all of you indicate - else I just have
a "slow" system, which perhaps could account for part of my weight issue as
I TRULY have never been a "big" eater compared to everyone around me.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Willy" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> []
>> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
>> spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
>> ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at
>> two hours.
>>
>> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
>> it's the two hour number that matters most.
>>
>> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
>> could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.

> No problem, Willy. I should probably do more two hour checks. How long
> after a meal before you spike depends on how much of what you ate. For
> example: On June 16th, my BG was 97. I had one cup of Fettucine Alfredo.
> One hour later BG was 144. Two hours 151. Three hours 178. Four hours 102!
> I'll have to be more careful to see when it finally goes down. Thanks for
> the wakeup call.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Based on everyone's response, I think my experience is not like other's in
the group, and since I'm truly a newbie, I suspect this may be a fluke in my
case.

Don't EVEN get me thinking about Alfredo!!!!! LOL

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher at 1
hour?

Willy wrote:
> "Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
>> Willy wrote:

>>> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where
>>> my spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings
>>> were at ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much
>>> higher) was at two hours.
>>>
>>> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus
>>> far, it's the two hour number that matters most.
>>>
>>> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this,
>>> so I could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own
>>> testing. Willy

>> your PEAK bg level is around 60 to 70 min after the first bite of
>> food by the 2 hour level, your bg's should be back down to a 'normal
>> range' fats and protein affect the absorbtion of carbs and will delay it
>>
>> do you eat a lot of fat with your meals?
>>

>> --
>> kate
>> type 1 since 1987
>> www.diabetic-chat.org
>> www.diabetic-talk.org
>> http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

> I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.
>
> Breakfast today was:
>
> 3 thin slick bacon.
> 2 eggs
> 2 low carb bread
>
> I had no appreciable spike.
>
> Lunch:
>
> Sausage and cheese biscuit (25g carb)....
>
> 15 point spike at 2 hours.
>
> Dinner:
>
> Taco Salad (Wendy's) with additional piece of chicken (didn't eat the
> wrap portion)
>
> Couldn't test after evening meal, but my evening numbers are 120,
> which is the lowest I've had since this all started.
>
> Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Willy" > wrote:
> >> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> []

> Don't EVEN get me thinking about Alfredo!!!!! LOL

Willy, it sounds like you're getting a handle on things. Keeping records,
making notes and testing, testing, testing. That's great!

There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to exercise
portion control is with the pasta. For me, it seems like 1/2 cup of
spaghetti, Rigatoni, Fettucini, Linguini, etc. is about my limit. I've had
it with Alfredo, white clam, aglia olio and marinara sauces. I go light
with the marinara because there are carbs in tomatoes. But, as you're
discovering, everyone reacts somewhat differently to different foods. Keep
up the good work. I've had T2 since 1992 and I'm still struggling. ;-(

Take care.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher
> at 1 hour?

[ . . . ]

I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project and
failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher
>> at 1 hour?

> [ . . . ]

> I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project and
> failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

Nick the health Diabetic Software has a built in timer in the Blood
Glocuse module :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:

[]
> Nick the health Diabetic Software has a built in timer in the Blood
> Glocuse module :-)

Thanks, mate. Much appreciated. I hadn't noticed it before. I'll try it
tomorrow. Bugles should get my attention. ;-)

Take care.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't
>> higher at 1 hour?

> [ . . . ]

> I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project
> and failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

I thought Willy had the sausage and biscuit...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 01:20:35 -0400, "Willy"
> wrote:

>I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.
>
>Breakfast today was:
>
>3 thin slick bacon.
>2 eggs
>2 low carb bread
>
>I had no appreciable spike.

What was the FBG, 1hr and 2hr?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >> When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't
> >> higher at 1 hour?

> > [ . . . ]

> > I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project
> > and failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

> I thought Willy had the sausage and biscuit...

Whoops. But I missed the one hour test with my bagel, cream cheese, smoked
salmon, onion & tomato, too!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01 Jul 2008 08:12:36 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to exercise
>portion control is with the pasta.

Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who needs
pasta!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Willy wrote:

>>> Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
>>> spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were
>>> at ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher)
>>> was at two hours.
>>>
>>> None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus
>>> far, it's the two hour number that matters most.
>>>
>>> Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so
>>> I could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own
>>> testing.

>> No, some of my spikes are at 15 minutes, depending on the type of food
>> and composition of the whole meal. A delayed spike (2 hours) may mean you
>> have a lot of fat with your carbs or perhaps some gastroparesis. What
>> drugs/insulin do you take, if any? Traditionally, doctors have advised to
>> test at 2 hours to see if your bg's are back within normal range. If you
>> are spiking at 2 hours then you are not back in range and you may need to
>> finetune your meals more. I have found that any spiking is well and truly
>> over by the one hour mark for me.
>>>
>>> Willy

> I take 2x500 Metformin and 35 units of Novolin (at bedtime). I think
> perhaps I must be one that digests slowly as My spikes consistently occur
> at 2 hours, and NEVER spike before that. I've been doing a LOT of testing
> lately, and that's the case regardless of what I've eaten.
>
> Willy

Are you also testing after that, to make sure the spike isn't even later?
Some foods, such as pizza, tend to digest slower than most other foods,
and for these, peaks at 3 or 4 hours are common.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)
>>

> Actually (as I'm sure you know) I just started consistent regular testing
> (rather than 3-4 times a day previously) the last 5 days. But I think
> your statement "People on insulin seem to peak later,
>> often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
>> control." certainly DOES apply to me. I'm just now getting my numbers
>> within target range, and I'm a complete newbie, so thanks to everyone for
>> their patience.

> At this point, all I can say is, in my case, EVERY time I've done 60 and
> 120 minutes tests, my peak has been at 120, but hopefully within time I'll
> find an experience similar to the results all of you indicate - else I
> just have a "slow" system, which perhaps could account for part of my
> weight issue as I TRULY have never been a "big" eater compared to everyone

If it doesn't clear up within a reasonable time, you may want to ask your
doctor to arrange a test for thyroid problems, which can affect how much
you weigh while eating a reasonable amount.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>>
>>> I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project
>>> and failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

>> I thought Willy had the sausage and biscuit...

> Whoops. But I missed the one hour test with my bagel, cream cheese,
> smoked salmon, onion & tomato, too!

Ok, just so you don't feel left out... why didn't you test at 1 hour?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On 01 Jul 2008 08:12:36 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>> There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to
>> exercise portion control is with the pasta.

> Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who needs
> pasta!

Whole, small button mushrooms are good, ditto chunks of cooked white fish
and cauliflower. Or all of the above together!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> > Whoops. But I missed the one hour test with my bagel, cream cheese,
> > smoked salmon, onion & tomato, too!

> Ok, just so you don't feel left out... why didn't you test at 1 hour?

Thanks for not letting me feel left out, Ozgirl. I got involved in a
project and failed to notice the time.

Rod clued me in on the Test Timer in Health Diabetic Software, so that
should happen less frequently in the future.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
> > On 01 Jul 2008 08:12:36 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >> There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to
> >> exercise portion control is with the pasta.

> > Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who needs
> > pasta!

> Whole, small button mushrooms are good, ditto chunks of cooked white fish
> and cauliflower. Or all of the above together!

I don't think this is what you meant, but a Mushroom Alfredo Sauce sounds
great! Thanks for the idea. ;-)

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nicky wrote:
>>> On 01 Jul 2008 08:12:36 GMT, Nick Cramer >

>>> Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who
>>> needs pasta!

>> Whole, small button mushrooms are good, ditto chunks of cooked white
>> fish and cauliflower. Or all of the above together!

> I don't think this is what you meant, but a Mushroom Alfredo Sauce
> sounds great! Thanks for the idea. ;-)

You are right, it is just that mushrooms have some substance so you don't
feel you are just eating a sauce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Willy" > wrote in message

>>> No, some of my spikes are at 15 minutes, depending on the type of food
>>> and composition of the whole meal. A delayed spike (2 hours) may mean
>>> you have a lot of fat with your carbs or perhaps some gastroparesis.
>>> What drugs/insulin do you take, if any? Traditionally, doctors have
>>> advised to test at 2 hours to see if your bg's are back within normal
>>> range. If you are spiking at 2 hours then you are not back in range and
>>> you may need to finetune your meals more. I have found that any spiking
>>> is well and truly over by the one hour mark for me.

>> I take 2x500 Metformin and 35 units of Novolin (at bedtime). I think
>> perhaps I must be one that digests slowly as My spikes consistently occur
>> at 2 hours, and NEVER spike before that. I've been doing a LOT of
>> testing lately, and that's the case regardless of what I've eaten.
>>
>> Willy

> Are you also testing after that, to make sure the spike isn't even later?
> Some foods, such as pizza, tend to digest slower than most other foods,
> and for these, peaks at 3 or 4 hours are common.

No, honestly I've never tested beyond two hours, except I often eat again at
4 hours, and usually test before the next meal. I can't think of any time
recently where I've found my numbers were higher, although I've had many
cases where they stayed at an elevated level.

Again, my experience has been brief, so I can't say this is will always be
the case, but it seems that if my bg levels get elevated, they tend to stay
elevated (beyond the morning level) for the duration of the day UNLESS I
exercise.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher at
> 1 hour?
>
> Willy wrote:

>>> your PEAK bg level is around 60 to 70 min after the first bite of
>>> food by the 2 hour level, your bg's should be back down to a 'normal
>>> range' fats and protein affect the absorbtion of carbs and will delay it
>>>
>>> do you eat a lot of fat with your meals?
>>>

>>> --
>>> kate
>>> type 1 since 1987
>>> www.diabetic-chat.org
>>> www.diabetic-talk.org
>>> http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

>> I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.
>>
>> Breakfast today was:
>>
>> 3 thin slick bacon.
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 low carb bread
>>
>> I had no appreciable spike.
>>
>> Lunch:
>>
>> Sausage and cheese biscuit (25g carb)....
>>
>> 15 point spike at 2 hours.
>>
>> Dinner:
>>
>> Taco Salad (Wendy's) with additional piece of chicken (didn't eat the
>> wrap portion)
>>
>> Couldn't test after evening meal, but my evening numbers are 120,
>> which is the lowest I've had since this all started.
>>
>> Willy

Admittedly I don't... so I've started testing at one hour intervals as
well. So far, and it's obviously too soon to tell, but I'm consistently
seeing my peaks at 2 hours.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 01:20:35 -0400, "Willy"
> > wrote:
>
>>I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.
>>
>>Breakfast today was:
>>
>>3 thin slick bacon.
>>2 eggs
>>2 low carb bread
>>
>>I had no appreciable spike.

> What was the FBG, 1hr and 2hr?
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)

didn't test at one hour this time, but at 2 hours was only up around 10
points.

Willy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Willy" > wrote in message
>> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:11:03 -0400, "Willy"

>>> No, not everyone does agree. My peaks are at one hour,
>>> others are at 90 minutes, others are at two hours. We each
>>> have to find our own peaks. Further, you will find that the
>>> better your control the earlier your peak, at least that's
>>> been the anecdotal experience that I've read over the past
>>> six years.
>>>
>>> From my reading of posts here and on mhd and asd.uk, three
>>> Yahoo groups, dlife and the ADA forum the vast majority of
>>> type 2's not on insulin, once they reach reasonable control,
>>> appear to peak at 60-90 minutes after a typical mixed meal.
>>> Usually closer to 60. People on insulin seem to peak later,
>>> often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
>>> control.
>>>
>>> How many times have you done a "peak-finding" series after
>>> each of your three main meals of breakfast lunch and dinner?
>>> By that I mean a series of tests at 20-30 minute intervals
>>> after finishing the meal, compassing the period from 30-120
>>> minutes (or longer if numbers are still high at 120).
>>>
>>> Read this for a longer discussion on this:
>>> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-two-hour.html
>>>

>>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>>> --
>>> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
>>> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
>>> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
>>> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)
>>>

>> Actually (as I'm sure you know) I just started consistent regular testing
>> (rather than 3-4 times a day previously) the last 5 days. But I think
>> your statement "People on insulin seem to peak later,
>>> often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
>>> control." certainly DOES apply to me. I'm just now getting my numbers
>>> within target range, and I'm a complete newbie, so thanks to everyone
>>> for their patience.

>> At this point, all I can say is, in my case, EVERY time I've done 60 and
>> 120 minutes tests, my peak has been at 120, but hopefully within time
>> I'll find an experience similar to the results all of you indicate - else
>> I just have a "slow" system, which perhaps could account for part of my
>> weight issue as I TRULY have never been a "big" eater compared to
>> everyone around me.
>>
>> Willy

> If it doesn't clear up within a reasonable time, you may want to ask your
> doctor to arrange a test for thyroid problems, which can affect how much
> you weigh while eating a reasonable amount.

I do have a thyroid problem, and take synthroid every day.

Willy