Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My last three days

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
[ . . . ]

Whoops. But I missed the one hour test with my bagel, cream cheese,
smoked salmon, onion & tomato, too!

Ok, just so you don't feel left out... why didn't you test at 1 hour?

Thanks for not letting me feel left out, Ozgirl. I got involved in a
project and failed to notice the time.

Rod clued me in on the Test Timer in Health Diabetic Software, so that
should happen less frequently in the future.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Nicky wrote:
On 01 Jul 2008 08:12:36 GMT, Nick Cramer

There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to
exercise portion control is with the pasta.

Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who needs
pasta!

Whole, small button mushrooms are good, ditto chunks of cooked white fish
and cauliflower. Or all of the above together!

I don't think this is what you meant, but a Mushroom Alfredo Sauce sounds
great! Thanks for the idea. ;-)

Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
Nicky wrote:
On 01 Jul 2008 08:12:36 GMT, Nick Cramer

There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to
exercise portion control is with the pasta.

Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who
needs pasta!

Whole, small button mushrooms are good, ditto chunks of cooked white
fish and cauliflower. Or all of the above together!

I don't think this is what you meant, but a Mushroom Alfredo Sauce
sounds great! Thanks for the idea. ;-)

You are right, it is just that mushrooms have some substance so you don't
feel you are just eating a sauce.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" wrote in message
. ..

"Willy" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Willy wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Thurs
BG before dinner 59
Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
One hour PP BG 79

Fri
BG before dinner 74
1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
One hour PP BG 98

Sat
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families! I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish

Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were
at ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher)
was at two hours.

None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus
far, it's the two hour number that matters most.

Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so
I could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own
testing.

No, some of my spikes are at 15 minutes, depending on the type of food
and composition of the whole meal. A delayed spike (2 hours) may mean
you have a lot of fat with your carbs or perhaps some gastroparesis.
What drugs/insulin do you take, if any? Traditionally, doctors have
advised to test at 2 hours to see if your bg's are back within normal
range. If you are spiking at 2 hours then you are not back in range and
you may need to finetune your meals more. I have found that any spiking
is well and truly over by the one hour mark for me.

Willy

I take 2x500 Metformin and 35 units of Novolin (at bedtime). I think
perhaps I must be one that digests slowly as My spikes consistently occur
at 2 hours, and NEVER spike before that. I've been doing a LOT of
testing lately, and that's the case regardless of what I've eaten.

Willy

Are you also testing after that, to make sure the spike isn't even later?
Some foods, such as pizza, tend to digest slower than most other foods,
and for these, peaks at 3 or 4 hours are common.

No, honestly I've never tested beyond two hours, except I often eat again at
4 hours, and usually test before the next meal. I can't think of any time
recently where I've found my numbers were higher, although I've had many
cases where they stayed at an elevated level.

Again, my experience has been brief, so I can't say this is will always be
the case, but it seems that if my bg levels get elevated, they tend to stay
elevated (beyond the morning level) for the duration of the day UNLESS I
exercise.

Willy

Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher at
1 hour?

Willy wrote:
"Tiger_Lily" wrote in message
Willy wrote:
[...]

testing. Willy

your PEAK bg level is around 60 to 70 min after the first bite of
food by the 2 hour level, your bg's should be back down to a 'normal
range' fats and protein affect the absorbtion of carbs and will delay it

do you eat a lot of fat with your meals?

--
kate
type 1 since 1987

I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.

Breakfast today was:

3 thin slick bacon.
2 eggs
2 low carb bread

I had no appreciable spike.

Lunch:

Sausage and cheese biscuit (25g carb)....

15 point spike at 2 hours.

Dinner:

Taco Salad (Wendy's) with additional piece of chicken (didn't eat the
wrap portion)

Couldn't test after evening meal, but my evening numbers are 120,
which is the lowest I've had since this all started.

Willy

Admittedly I don't... so I've started testing at one hour intervals as
well. So far, and it's obviously too soon to tell, but I'm consistently
seeing my peaks at 2 hours.

Willy

Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 01:20:35 -0400, "Willy"
wrote:

I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.

Breakfast today was:

3 thin slick bacon.
2 eggs
2 low carb bread

I had no appreciable spike.

What was the FBG, 1hr and 2hr?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

didn't test at one hour this time, but at 2 hours was only up around 10
points.

Willy

Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" wrote in message
.. .

"Willy" wrote in message
"Alan S" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:11:03 -0400, "Willy"
wrote:

Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
ONE
hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at two
hours.

None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
it's
the two hour number that matters most.

Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
could
be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.

Willy

No, not everyone does agree. My peaks are at one hour,
others are at 90 minutes, others are at two hours. We each
have to find our own peaks. Further, you will find that the
better your control the earlier your peak, at least that's
been the anecdotal experience that I've read over the past
six years.

From my reading of posts here and on mhd and asd.uk, three
Yahoo groups, dlife and the ADA forum the vast majority of
type 2's not on insulin, once they reach reasonable control,
appear to peak at 60-90 minutes after a typical mixed meal.
Usually closer to 60. People on insulin seem to peak later,
often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
control.

How many times have you done a "peak-finding" series after
each of your three main meals of breakfast lunch and dinner?
By that I mean a series of tests at 20-30 minute intervals
after finishing the meal, compassing the period from 30-120
minutes (or longer if numbers are still high at 120).

Read this for a longer discussion on this:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-two-hour.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (On Indian Roads)

Actually (as I'm sure you know) I just started consistent regular testing
(rather than 3-4 times a day previously) the last 5 days. But I think
your statement "People on insulin seem to peak later,
often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
control." certainly DOES apply to me. I'm just now getting my numbers
within target range, and I'm a complete newbie, so thanks to everyone
for their patience.

At this point, all I can say is, in my case, EVERY time I've done 60 and
120 minutes tests, my peak has been at 120, but hopefully within time
I'll find an experience similar to the results all of you indicate - else
I just have a "slow" system, which perhaps could account for part of my
weight issue as I TRULY have never been a "big" eater compared to
everyone around me.

Willy

If it doesn't clear up within a reasonable time, you may want to ask your
doctor to arrange a test for thyroid problems, which can affect how much
you weigh while eating a reasonable amount.

I do have a thyroid problem, and take synthroid every day.

Willy