Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My last three days

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:11:03 -0400, "Willy"
wrote:

Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
ONE
hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at two
hours.

None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
it's
the two hour number that matters most.

Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
could
be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.

Willy

No, not everyone does agree. My peaks are at one hour,
others are at 90 minutes, others are at two hours. We each
have to find our own peaks. Further, you will find that the
better your control the earlier your peak, at least that's
been the anecdotal experience that I've read over the past
six years.

From my reading of posts here and on mhd and asd.uk, three
Yahoo groups, dlife and the ADA forum the vast majority of
type 2's not on insulin, once they reach reasonable control,
appear to peak at 60-90 minutes after a typical mixed meal.
Usually closer to 60. People on insulin seem to peak later,
often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
control.

How many times have you done a "peak-finding" series after
each of your three main meals of breakfast lunch and dinner?
By that I mean a series of tests at 20-30 minute intervals
after finishing the meal, compassing the period from 30-120
minutes (or longer if numbers are still high at 120).

Read this for a longer discussion on this:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-two-hour.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Actually (as I'm sure you know) I just started consistent regular testing
(rather than 3-4 times a day previously) the last 5 days. But I think your
statement "People on insulin seem to peak later,
often closer to two hours; as do many newbies in poor
control." certainly DOES apply to me. I'm just now getting my numbers
within target range, and I'm a complete newbie, so thanks to everyone for
their patience.

At this point, all I can say is, in my case, EVERY time I've done 60 and 120
minutes tests, my peak has been at 120, but hopefully within time I'll find
an experience similar to the results all of you indicate - else I just have
a "slow" system, which perhaps could account for part of my weight issue as
I TRULY have never been a "big" eater compared to everyone around me.

Willy

Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Willy" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
[]
Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where my
spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings were at
ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much higher) was at
two hours.

None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus far,
it's the two hour number that matters most.

Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this, so I
could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own testing.

No problem, Willy. I should probably do more two hour checks. How long
after a meal before you spike depends on how much of what you ate. For
example: On June 16th, my BG was 97. I had one cup of Fettucine Alfredo.
One hour later BG was 144. Two hours 151. Three hours 178. Four hours 102!
I'll have to be more careful to see when it finally goes down. Thanks for
the wakeup call.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Based on everyone's response, I think my experience is not like other's in
the group, and since I'm truly a newbie, I suspect this may be a fluke in my
case.

Don't EVEN get me thinking about Alfredo!!!!! LOL

Willy

Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher at 1
hour?

Willy wrote:
"Tiger_Lily" wrote in message
Willy wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Thurs
BG before dinner 59
Liverwurst & 2 eggs on buttered dark rye.
One hour PP BG 79

Fri
BG before dinner 74
1/4 cup pinhead oats, liverwurst, Linburger, horseradish, 2 eggs
One hour PP BG 98

Sat
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families! I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish

Nick, although I'm new to this, I find my 2 hour readings are where
my spikes really show up. I noticed your Thur and Friday readings
were at ONE hour, whereas your Saturday reading (which was much
higher) was at two hours.

None of my business, but based on my own personal experience thus
far, it's the two hour number that matters most.

Does everyone in the group tend to agree??? I'm very new to this,
so I could be wrong, but that is definitely what I find in my own
testing. Willy

your PEAK bg level is around 60 to 70 min after the first bite of
food by the 2 hour level, your bg's should be back down to a 'normal
range' fats and protein affect the absorbtion of carbs and will delay it

do you eat a lot of fat with your meals?

--
kate
type 1 since 1987

I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.

Breakfast today was:

3 thin slick bacon.
2 eggs
2 low carb bread

I had no appreciable spike.

Lunch:

Sausage and cheese biscuit (25g carb)....

15 point spike at 2 hours.

Dinner:

Taco Salad (Wendy's) with additional piece of chicken (didn't eat the
wrap portion)

Couldn't test after evening meal, but my evening numbers are 120,
which is the lowest I've had since this all started.

Willy

Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
[]

Don't EVEN get me thinking about Alfredo!!!!! LOL

Willy, it sounds like you're getting a handle on things. Keeping records,
making notes and testing, testing, testing. That's great!

There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to exercise
portion control is with the pasta. For me, it seems like 1/2 cup of
spaghetti, Rigatoni, Fettucini, Linguini, etc. is about my limit. I've had
it with Alfredo, white clam, aglia olio and marinara sauces. I go light
with the marinara because there are carbs in tomatoes. But, as you're
discovering, everyone reacts somewhat differently to different foods. Keep
up the good work. I've had T2 since 1992 and I'm still struggling. ;-(

Take care.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:
When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher
at 1 hour?

[ . . . ]
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project and
failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't higher
at 1 hour?

[ . . . ]
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project and
failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

Nick the health Diabetic Software has a built in timer in the Blood
Glocuse module :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:

[]
Nick the health Diabetic Software has a built in timer in the Blood
Glocuse module :-)

Thanks, mate. Much appreciated. I hadn't noticed it before. I'll try it
tomorrow. Bugles should get my attention. ;-)

Take care.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't
higher at 1 hour?

[ . . . ]
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project
and failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

I thought Willy had the sausage and biscuit...

Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 01:20:35 -0400, "Willy"
wrote:

I suppose "lot" is subject to interpretation.

Breakfast today was:

3 thin slick bacon.
2 eggs
2 low carb bread

I had no appreciable spike.

What was the FBG, 1hr and 2hr?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't
higher at 1 hour?

[ . . . ]
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project
and failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

I thought Willy had the sausage and biscuit...

Whoops. But I missed the one hour test with my bagel, cream cheese, smoked
salmon, onion & tomato, too!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01 Jul 2008 08:12:36 GMT, Nick Cramer
wrote:

There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to exercise
portion control is with the pasta.

Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who needs
pasta!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Willy wrote:
[...]

No, some of my spikes are at 15 minutes, depending on the type of food
and composition of the whole meal. A delayed spike (2 hours) may mean you
have a lot of fat with your carbs or perhaps some gastroparesis. What
drugs/insulin do you take, if any? Traditionally, doctors have advised to
test at 2 hours to see if your bg's are back within normal range. If you
are spiking at 2 hours then you are not back in range and you may need to
finetune your meals more. I have found that any spiking is well and truly
over by the one hour mark for me.

Willy

I take 2x500 Metformin and 35 units of Novolin (at bedtime). I think
perhaps I must be one that digests slowly as My spikes consistently occur
at 2 hours, and NEVER spike before that. I've been doing a LOT of testing
lately, and that's the case regardless of what I've eaten.

Willy

Are you also testing after that, to make sure the spike isn't even later?
Some foods, such as pizza, tend to digest slower than most other foods,
and for these, peaks at 3 or 4 hours are common.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

From my reading of posts here and on mhd and asd.uk, three
[...]

If it doesn't clear up within a reasonable time, you may want to ask your
doctor to arrange a test for thyroid problems, which can affect how much
you weigh while eating a reasonable amount.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
When you had the sausage and biscuit how do you know you weren't
higher at 1 hour?
[ . . . ]
BG before dinner 89
1/2 low carb bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion & tomato
Two hour PP BG 129

I don't. I didn't skip it intentionally. I got involved in a project
and failed to notice the time. I know, I should get/set a timer. ;-(

I thought Willy had the sausage and biscuit...

Whoops. But I missed the one hour test with my bagel, cream cheese,
smoked salmon, onion & tomato, too!

Ok, just so you don't feel left out... why didn't you test at 1 hour?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

There are essentially no carbs in Alfredo sauce. Where you have to
exercise portion control is with the pasta.

Shiratake noodles, or zucchini ribbons, or boiled broccoli - who needs
pasta!

Whole, small button mushrooms are good, ditto chunks of cooked white fish
and cauliflower. Or all of the above together!