Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thai Curry lunch

FBG 80. Before lunch 97. Lunch was very spicy Green Curry with Fish Balls
(Thai Gaeng Ki Wan Pla Bot) followed by 12 blueberries. One hour PP BG 112.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> FBG 80. Before lunch 97. Lunch was very spicy Green Curry with Fish Balls
> (Thai Gaeng Ki Wan Pla Bot) followed by 12 blueberries. One hour PP BG 112.

Nick, i have to limit grapes to 12 small grapes

i can have 1/2 cup of blueberries, put some cream on them and yum yum yum

enjoy! (and check YOUR bg to see if YOU can eat that many)

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > FBG 80. Before lunch 97. Lunch was very spicy Green Curry with Fish
> > Balls (Thai Gaeng Ki Wan Pla Bot) followed by 12 blueberries. One hour
> > PP BG 112.
> >

> Nick, i have to limit grapes to 12 small grapes
>
> i can have 1/2 cup of blueberries, put some cream on them and yum yum yum
>
> enjoy! (and check YOUR bg to see if YOU can eat that many)

Thanks, Kate. I only have six grapes at a sitting, now. When I was a kid,
60 years ago and more, at my Grandmother's, while picking grapes, I'd eat
them continuously all day, as I did with tomatoes, blackberries,
raspberries, apples and peaches. She wouldn't let me pick her strawberries.
I wonder why? <sigh>

I might try more blueberries though. Maybe make blueberry Carbquik
pancakes!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 28, 9:40*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> FBG 80. Before lunch 97. Lunch was very spicy Green Curry with Fish Balls
> (Thai Gaeng Ki Wan Pla Bot) followed by 12 blueberries. One hour PP BG 112..

Ooooohh..... curry.... I love Thai food. I used to meet a friend for
lunch at a little Thai place every week back in the day. Unfortunately
there is none to be had where I live now.

There was red snapper in red pepper sauce and basil.... and my
favorite, panang beef... and satay with cool cucumber slices... and
tom kha gai... *sigh*.

And how lucky are you, to be able to enjoy such treasures in your own
home! You two are welcome to visit us anytime.

Cindy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

blueberries dont spike me at all.

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> > FBG 80. Before lunch 97. Lunch was very spicy Green Curry with Fish
>> > Balls (Thai Gaeng Ki Wan Pla Bot) followed by 12 blueberries. One hour
>> > PP BG 112.
>> >

>> Nick, i have to limit grapes to 12 small grapes
>>
>> i can have 1/2 cup of blueberries, put some cream on them and yum yum yum
>>
>> enjoy! (and check YOUR bg to see if YOU can eat that many)

> Thanks, Kate. I only have six grapes at a sitting, now. When I was a kid,
> 60 years ago and more, at my Grandmother's, while picking grapes, I'd eat
> them continuously all day, as I did with tomatoes, blackberries,
> raspberries, apples and peaches. She wouldn't let me pick her
> strawberries.
> I wonder why? <sigh>
>
> I might try more blueberries though. Maybe make blueberry Carbquik
> pancakes!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ankalime > wrote:
> On May 28, 9:40=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > FBG 80. Before lunch 97. Lunch was very spicy Green Curry with Fish
> > Balls (Thai Gaeng Ki Wan Pla Bot) followed by 12 blueberries. One hour
> > PP BG 112=

> Ooooohh..... curry.... I love Thai food. I used to meet a friend for
> lunch at a little Thai place every week back in the day. Unfortunately
> there is none to be had where I live now.
>
> There was red snapper in red pepper sauce and basil.... and my
> favorite, panang beef... and satay with cool cucumber slices... and
> tom kha gai... *sigh*.
>
> And how lucky are you, to be able to enjoy such treasures in your own
> home! You two are welcome to visit us anytime.

Thanks, Cindy. You can make your own. Do you have my wife's recipes?

http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 29, 3:55*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Thanks, Cindy. You can make your own. Do you have my wife's recipes?
>
> http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh. My. Gosh. OMGOMGOMG!!!!

I can see I will be busy shopping for ingredients... especially now
that my husband just peered over my shoulder and said, "Yum! My
favorite!"

Thanks, Nick!
Cindy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ankalime > wrote:
> On May 29, 3:55=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Cindy. You can make your own. Do you have my wife's recipes?
> >
> > http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm

> I can see I will be busy shopping for ingredients... especially now
> that my husband just peered over my shoulder and said, "Yum! My
> favorite!"

Cindy! Do NOT! I repeat: Do NOT buy Kaffir lime leaves. Eat my SPAM to
email me and I'll send you some from our backyard jungle. If they've
started to produce, I'll send you some of our Thai Chiles, too.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cambodian Amok

Was "Thai Curry Lunch"

On 29 May 2008 19:55:30 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>ankalime > wrote:
>> On May 28, 9:40=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> > FBG 80. Before lunch 97. Lunch was very spicy Green Curry with Fish
>> > Balls (Thai Gaeng Ki Wan Pla Bot) followed by 12 blueberries. One hour
>> > PP BG 112=

>> Ooooohh..... curry.... I love Thai food. I used to meet a friend for
>> lunch at a little Thai place every week back in the day. Unfortunately
>> there is none to be had where I live now.
>>
>> There was red snapper in red pepper sauce and basil.... and my
>> favorite, panang beef... and satay with cool cucumber slices... and
>> tom kha gai... *sigh*.
>>
>> And how lucky are you, to be able to enjoy such treasures in your own
>> home! You two are welcome to visit us anytime.

>Thanks, Cindy. You can make your own. Do you have my wife's recipes?
>
>http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm

Hi Nick, and all

I had Amok in Cambodia and loved it. When I looked at Thai
Haw Mok in your wife's list the Thai equivalent seems quite
different. So I'll try that shortly.

In the meantime I did some searching on the net, found a
variety of recipes, and modified them to ingredients in my
pantry.

This was the first attempt and came out quite tasty,
although I need to perfect the art of making the cabbage
parcels without splitting the leaves. Next time I may try
serving it in coconuts, as I had it in Siem Reap (see the
third photo):
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008/03/cambodia.html

It's a work in progress, as I'll keep experimenting with
proportions and I'm open to improvement suggestions.

Ingredients

Serves Two

1 smallish Garlic clove
1 small onion
Hot chili to taste (optional, I used a tiny bit of a
birdseye)
1 piece peeled ginger, about 2cm (3/4")
1 piece of lemongrass, about 5cm (2")
1/4 tspn turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 heaped tbsp coconut cream powder
2 tspn Splenda
water as needed

Fillets, approx 200-250gms(8-10 oz) of white fish (cod,
haddock, dory or similar - I used Nile Perch)

Sufficient banana leaves or outside cabbage leaves to make
four parcels.

Substitutions can be made - root galangal for ginger,
coconut milk for the powder and water, sugar for splenda
(subject to your meter), a coconut shell for the leaves etc.

Salt and pepper to taste - be careful, the fish sauce is
quite salty and there is already heat in the ginger and
chili. However, I always add a grating of pepper in any
turmeric dish as they complement each other.

Chop the dry ingredients except the onion and crush, adding
one at a time, in a mortar and pestle or just do the lazy
thing and dump the lot in a food processor. Add the spices,
fish sauce, coconut powder (or coconut milk) and just enough
water to form a watery thin paste and mix well. Chop the
onion by hand and add it last to add some texture.

Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan; rinse out the
mortar with a little extra water to get all the mix and add
that to the saucepan. Bring it to a slow simmer and cook,
stirring when needed, for a few minutes until thickened to a
sauce consistency that "blobs" off the spoon, not too runny.
In the meantime, steam or simmer the cabbage leaves until
they are soft, and set them aside until the sauce is ready.
If using banana leaves, cut into 20cm (8") squares.

Cut the fish fillets into small chunks and place 1/4 of the
fish in each leaf. Pour sufficient sauce over each fish
portion to thoroughly coat them, reserving the remaining
sauce. Fold the leaves into secure parcels (that's where I
had fun:-)

Steam the parcels for about an hour. Two parcels is a serve.

Just before serving (usually served with rice, that's up to
you and your meter) re-heat the reserved sauce, slit the
centre of each parcel open and spoon the sauce on top.

When I try the coconut shell alternative instead of leaves,
I'll add the fish to the sauce with a little extra water and
simmer until done. Using that method I may add a few more
veges (broccoli, cauli, green onions, capsicum[peppers] etc)
to the finished product at the simmer stage, then transfer
to the coconut when done. Of course, you could just use a
soup bowl:-)

The dish served in Siem Reap was the consistency of a thick
soup. For the leaves version I made it thicker.

Rough numbers per serve, with cabbage:
Calories 100
Protein(g) 18
Fat(g) 2
Carbohydrate(g) 7

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:

> although I need to perfect the art of making the cabbage
> parcels without splitting the leaves. much snipped

Alan, boil a pot of water

using the turkey lifter or some such object, dip the cabbage into the
water and remove it straight away

with a quick dip, it doesn't change the texture of the cabbage too much,
but it makes removing the leaves a lot easier

good luck
--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily wrote:
> Alan S wrote:
>
>> although I need to perfect the art of making the cabbage
>> parcels without splitting the leaves. much snipped

> Alan, boil a pot of water
>
> using the turkey lifter or some such object, dip the cabbage into the
> water and remove it straight away
>
> with a quick dip, it doesn't change the texture of the cabbage too much,
> but it makes removing the leaves a lot easier

Here's a trick I learned from my mother: put the head of cabbage in the
freezer overnight then defrost it before you cook. The leaves get soft.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:

: This was the first attempt and came out quite tasty,
: although I need to perfect the art of making the cabbage
: parcels without splitting the leaves. Next time I may try
: serving it in coconuts, as I had it in Siem Reap (see the
: third photo):

Helpful hint from an old stuffed cabbage maker. Take the head of cabbage
and put it in the microwave for a few minutes. Peel off the first few,
now softened leaves o use for the paracels. If you need more, renuke the
head and remove the next few leaves, etc. Easier than the old fashioned
putthe head in boiling water which always resulted in burned fingers.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> Was "Thai Curry Lunch"
>
> On 29 May 2008 19:55:30 GMT, Nick Cramer
> >ankalime > wrote:
> >>[ . . . ]

> >http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm

> Hi Nick, and all
>
> I had Amok in Cambodia and loved it. When I looked at Thai
> Haw Mok in your wife's list the Thai equivalent seems quite
> different. So I'll try that shortly.

Your Cambodian recipe sounds good, Alan. When Jun makes Haw Mok, she
doesn't just use fish. Her seafood medley in it is more like in Po Tak.
Fish, shrimp, squid rings, crab meat, bay clams, baby scallops, whatever.
That Red Curry Sauce #2 wakes it up nicely. ;-)

Printed recipes are just a starting point.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I thought you were going to say you ran amok in Cambodia

Alan S wrote:
> [...]

> sauce. Fold the leaves into secure parcels (that's where I
> had fun:-)
>
> Steam the parcels for about an hour. Two parcels is a serve.
>
> Just before serving (usually served with rice, that's up to
> you and your meter) re-heat the reserved sauce, slit the
> centre of each parcel open and spoon the sauce on top.
>
> When I try the coconut shell alternative instead of leaves,
> I'll add the fish to the sauce with a little extra water and
> simmer until done. Using that method I may add a few more
> veges (broccoli, cauli, green onions, capsicum[peppers] etc)
> to the finished product at the simmer stage, then transfer
> to the coconut when done. Of course, you could just use a
> soup bowl:-)
>
> The dish served in Siem Reap was the consistency of a thick
> soup. For the leaves version I made it thicker.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well he did leave ruins behind everywhere he went Egypt Cambodia
Stonehenge :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Ozgirl wrote:
> [...]

>> sauce. Fold the leaves into secure parcels (that's where I
>> had fun:-)
>>
>> Steam the parcels for about an hour. Two parcels is a serve.
>>
>> Just before serving (usually served with rice, that's up to
>> you and your meter) re-heat the reserved sauce, slit the
>> centre of each parcel open and spoon the sauce on top.
>>
>> When I try the coconut shell alternative instead of leaves,
>> I'll add the fish to the sauce with a little extra water and
>> simmer until done. Using that method I may add a few more
>> veges (broccoli, cauli, green onions, capsicum[peppers] etc)
>> to the finished product at the simmer stage, then transfer
>> to the coconut when done. Of course, you could just use a
>> soup bowl:-)
>>
>> The dish served in Siem Reap was the consistency of a thick
>> soup. For the leaves version I made it thicker.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:36:30 GMT, RodS >
wrote:

>Well he did leave ruins behind everywhere he went Egypt Cambodia
>Stonehenge :-)
>
> (- -)
>=m=(_)=m=
>RodS T2
>Australia

I decided I'd retire from running amok when I turned 60.

Well, I thought about it, anyway...

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Bangkok Grand Palace

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 29, 6:02*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Cindy! Do NOT! I repeat: Do NOT buy Kaffir lime leaves. Eat my SPAM to
> email me and I'll send you some from our backyard jungle. If they've
> started to produce, I'll send you some of our Thai Chiles, too.

Nick, you're a peach! Thank you so much!

Cindy