Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cheese enchiladas - Oy vey!

Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta market,
with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about
pizza effect!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
> market, with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla
> chips, refried beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and
> beans, half of the rice. Should've only had half of the beans and
> skipped the rice. One hour PP BG 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174.
> Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about pizza effect!

Or talk about killing beta cells Haven't you ever questioned why you have
progressing neuropathy, that meal was a perfect example...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
> > market, with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla
> > chips, refried beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and
> > beans, half of the rice. Should've only had half of the beans and
> > skipped the rice. One hour PP BG 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174.
> > Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about pizza effect!

> Or talk about killing beta cells Haven't you ever questioned why you
> have progressing neuropathy, that meal was a perfect example...

I'm sure you're right, Ozgirl. I was a little worried about the FBG of 60
and the pre-meal BG of 68. I definitely overcorrected. ;-(

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 May 2008 07:44:47 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta market,
>with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
>beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
>Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
>124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about
>pizza effect!

Sorry to hear that.

I reckon they do it different north of the border. I was
careful in Mexico but it's impossible to avoid beans and
corn products - tortillas, enchiladas, tortas etc.

But I had no significant spikes, at least for the first
couple of days before I ran out of strips.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
>>> market, with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla
>>> chips, refried beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and
>>> beans, half of the rice. Should've only had half of the beans and
>>> skipped the rice. One hour PP BG 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174.
>>> Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about pizza effect!

>> Or talk about killing beta cells Haven't you ever questioned why
>> you have progressing neuropathy, that meal was a perfect example...

> I'm sure you're right, Ozgirl. I was a little worried about the FBG
> of 60 and the pre-meal BG of 68. I definitely overcorrected. ;-(

Normal numbers for me

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> On 16 May 2008 07:44:47 GMT, Nick Cramer
> >Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
> >market, with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla
> >chips, refried beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans,
> >half of the rice. Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the
> >rice. One hour PP BG 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197.
> >Five hour 181. Talk about pizza effect!

> Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, Alan. Me, too! Five hours before it started to come down. Whew!

> I reckon they do it different north of the border. I was
> careful in Mexico but it's impossible to avoid beans and
> corn products - tortillas, enchiladas, tortas etc.

I dunno. I had a total of four tortillas, 1/2 cup of refried beans and 1/4
cup of rice.

> But I had no significant spikes, at least for the first
> couple of days before I ran out of strips.

You? Ran out of strips? None available in Mexico? Or did they read out in
Spanish? LMAO

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >>
> >> Or talk about killing beta cells Haven't you ever questioned why
> >> you have progressing neuropathy, that meal was a perfect example...

> > I'm sure you're right, Ozgirl. I was a little worried about the FBG
> > of 60 and the pre-meal BG of 68. I definitely overcorrected. ;-(

> Normal numbers for me

So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG, as
that was before I started keeping notes with

http://www.healthdiabeticsoftware.com/

Take care.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wow thats pretty high!
i use low carb tortillias but even regular ones generally wouldnt spike me
like that..wonder what they put in those things??

well always a new thing to learn with this disease

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
> market,
> with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
> beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
> Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
> 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk
> about
> pizza effect!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oh i missread!
I didnt see he ate the chips too.. and the beans AND the rice...i just read
the three encheladas....

That was a huge amount of carbs then so he was lucky he that low

I got a free chipotle coupon and dunno if i even =want to bother..i hear
they are good and use natural ingredients tho so may try a taco salad..no
edible bowl..lol.

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
>> market, with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla
>> chips, refried beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and
>> beans, half of the rice. Should've only had half of the beans and
>> skipped the rice. One hour PP BG 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174.
>> Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about pizza effect!

> Or talk about killing beta cells Haven't you ever questioned why you
> have progressing neuropathy, that meal was a perfect example...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Oh i missread!
> I didnt see he ate the chips too.. and the beans AND the rice...i just
> read the three encheladas....
>
> That was a huge amount of carbs then so he was lucky he that low
>
> I got a free chipotle coupon and dunno if i even =want to bother..i hear
> they are good and use natural ingredients tho so may try a taco salad..no
> edible bowl..lol.

A Chipotle is just a smoke-dried Jalapeño chile. They're easy to make at
home, if you have a BBQ (smoker). The flavor will depend on the kind of
wood you use for smoking, but the heat will remain the same. I have some
friends (maybe that should read "fiends") who also make Serrano and
Habanero 'Chipotles.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> I'm sure you're right, Ozgirl. I was a little worried about the FBG
>>> of 60 and the pre-meal BG of 68. I definitely overcorrected. ;-(

>> Normal numbers for me

> So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
> morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up.

I don't take drugs or insulin, nothing to drive my bg's down to a dangerous
level.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 16, 7:37*am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote:

> > I got a free chipotle coupon and dunno if i even =want to bother..i hear
> > they are good and use natural ingredients tho so may try a taco salad..no
> > edible bowl..lol.

> A Chipotle is just a smoke-dried Jalapeño chile. They're easy to make at
> home, if you have a BBQ (smoker). The flavor will depend on the kind of
> wood you use for smoking, but the heat will remain the same. I have some
> friends (maybe that should read "fiends") who also make Serrano and
> Habanero 'Chipotles.

Nick, I think Krom means he has a coupon from Chipotle Mexican
Restaurant, not a coupon for a free chile.

My friends love Chipotle. The stuff does look tasty and fresh. BUT...
they got themselves put on a list of the 20 worst foods in America
with their chicken burrito. It's stuffed with cilantro-lime rice.
Tasty, yes, but that burrito comes to 1179 cal, 47 g fat, 2656 mg
sodium and ::drum roll:: 125 g carbs. Hooah!

The 20 worst foods list is here.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21838237...Y_20WorstFoods

Cindy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 16, 3:44*am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta market,
> with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
> beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
> Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
> 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about
> pizza effect!

Wow... 181 at 5 hr! Good golly!

Last night, we had chicken fajitas without the tortillas. I marinated
pounded chicken breasts in lime juice with some chili powder and cumin
(I would have added fresh cilantro, if I'd had any) and grilled them.
Well, okay, my husband did the grilling. The barbeque is his domain.
Woman no touch.

While he was doing that, I sliced up red bell peppers, onion, tomato,
and a couple of jalapenos. Put them in a very hot pan with a touch of
olive oil and some minced garlic until a little browned in places, but
not mushy. Squeezed some lime juice on that.

Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
105. And the kids liked it!

Cindy
Metformin/Byetta/Amaryl
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ankalime > wrote:
> On May 16, 7:37=A0am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > "krom" > wrote:

> [ . . . ]
> Nick, I think Krom means he has a coupon from Chipotle Mexican
> Restaurant, not a coupon for a free chile.

Heh heh! Thanks, Cindy. I thought that was the case, but I also thought
some people might be interested in how to make their own Chipotles.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 16, 8:49*am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> ankalime > wrote:
> > On May 16, 7:37=A0am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > > "krom" > wrote:

> > [ . . . ]
> > Nick, I think Krom means he has a coupon from Chipotle Mexican
> > Restaurant, not a coupon for a free chile.

> Heh heh! Thanks, Cindy. I thought that was the case, but I also thought
> some people might be interested in how to make their own Chipotles.

You know, I did find that interesting... I never thought of making
chipotles on my own. The grocery in the little town I live in doesn't
carry any. Maybe I can talk my husband into getting a smoker next and
we'll give it a go!

Cindy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
> market,
> with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
> beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
> Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
> 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk
> about
> pizza effect!

I can eat two enchiladas at one time, provided the sauce isn't overly carby.
Sometimes it is. Three would be pushing it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote:
>> Oh i missread!
>> I didnt see he ate the chips too.. and the beans AND the rice...i just
>> read the three encheladas....
>>
>> That was a huge amount of carbs then so he was lucky he that low
>>
>> I got a free chipotle coupon and dunno if i even =want to bother..i hear
>> they are good and use natural ingredients tho so may try a taco salad..no
>> edible bowl..lol.

> A Chipotle is just a smoke-dried Jalapeño chile. They're easy to make at
> home, if you have a BBQ (smoker). The flavor will depend on the kind of
> wood you use for smoking, but the heat will remain the same. I have some
> friends (maybe that should read "fiends") who also make Serrano and
> Habanero 'Chipotles.

There is a chain of restaurants here called Chipotles. Sort of fast food
and very limited menu. I've not been tempted to try them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta market,
> with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla chips, refried
> beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans, half of the rice.
> Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the rice. One hour PP BG
> 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197. Five hour 181. Talk about
> pizza effect!

Enchiladas can be Diabetic friendly. You have to find the high fiber-low
carb tortillas and you have to use portion control.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

> I dunno. I had a total of four tortillas, 1/2 cup of refried beans and 1/4
> cup of rice.

4 tortillas is a whole day's worth of carbs for a lot of Diabetics. 1/2
cup of beans isn't too bad as the beans have fiber to offset some of the
carbs. The rice is something that should be avoided unless you are among
the few Diabetics who can tolerate it. Most that I know find that rice
is the worst carb as far as spiking goes. My DH among them. Even brown
rice is bad for him.

When we go out for Mexican, he asks for double beans and no rice. He
rarely eats all the beans, but he can control for them with a bolus.
Since you are not on insulin, you have to learn just how much beans you
can tolerate and stay the heck away from high-carb tortillas and rice.

A safe order in a Mexican restaurant is fajitas. Eat the meat and
veggies and leave the tortillas and rice.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

> So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
> morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG, as
> that was before I started keeping notes with

DH sometimes has numbers in the high 60's. He uses the 15-15 method to
bring up his BG. 15 grams of quick acting carbs. Wait 15 minutes and
test again. If not back up to "normal" try another 15 grams of
fast-acting carbs and another 15 minute wait.

Fast acting carbs are glucose tablets, fruit juice, skim milk, regular
soda and other high sucrose things. A bagel is not a fast acting carb
and might just leave you a lot higher than you want to be.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 16 May 2008 05:39:46 -0700 (PDT), ankalime
> wrote:

>Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
>of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
>a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
>105. And the kids liked it!

Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
: >of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
: >a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
: >105. And the kids liked it!

: Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
: pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...

: Nicky.

I think it makes them think that they are a cave man rubbing sticks
together to warm and feed their women and children. Like going hunting so
they can stay with their buddies and not shave or bathe for several days.
that seems to be the pattern near my summer home. You can smell those
hunters from a mile away as they come to the supermarket to clean out all
the beer.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

2 Mission 6" corn tortillas are 17 carbs...enchiladas are usually made with
corn tortillas. Flour tortillas are higher. So I think he would probably
have done ok if he left the chips and rice and beans alone.
Jacquie
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>

>> I dunno. I had a total of four tortillas, 1/2 cup of refried beans and
>> 1/4
>> cup of rice.

> 4 tortillas is a whole day's worth of carbs for a lot of Diabetics. 1/2
> cup of beans isn't too bad as the beans have fiber to offset some of the
> carbs. The rice is something that should be avoided unless you are among
> the few Diabetics who can tolerate it. Most that I know find that rice is
> the worst carb as far as spiking goes. My DH among them. Even brown rice
> is bad for him.
>
> When we go out for Mexican, he asks for double beans and no rice. He
> rarely eats all the beans, but he can control for them with a bolus. Since
> you are not on insulin, you have to learn just how much beans you can
> tolerate and stay the heck away from high-carb tortillas and rice.
>
> A safe order in a Mexican restaurant is fajitas. Eat the meat and veggies
> and leave the tortillas and rice.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 May 2008 11:14:35 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
>morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG, as
>that was before I started keeping notes with
>
>http://www.healthdiabeticsoftware.com/
>
>Take care.

I would only worry if I had hypo symptoms.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 May 2008 11:02:29 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>> But I had no significant spikes, at least for the first
>> couple of days before I ran out of strips.

>You? Ran out of strips? None available in Mexico? Or did they read out in
>Spanish? LMAO

None available for an accu-chek Go.

My next A1c should be fascinating after all those different
cuisines (at least I'll have an excuse if it's back over 6.

But looking at that dinner of yours - you won't, if you keep
doing that:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:05:41 +0100, Nicky
> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 May 2008 05:39:46 -0700 (PDT), ankalime
> wrote:
>
>>Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
>>of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
>>a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
>>105. And the kids liked it!

>Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
>pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...
>
>Nicky.
>T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

It's just so easy; I use the BBQ at least twice weekly in
winter, more often in summer. Meats on the slotted section
so the fat drips away, greens in a saucepan on the hot-plate
in a smidgin of water to simmer, onions, capsicum, half
tomatoes and slices of spuds or sweet potato on the
hot-plate (I usually give them a quick zap in the microwave
to help them along). Vary things occasionally - shish kabob,
satays, chook, different marinades, use imagination.

Apart from ease of use and clean-up, it's brilliant for
rendering the sat fat off chops and similar. I'm aware of
the AGE risks, so I try not to carbonise things too much.

And it gives me an excuse to be outside at this time of
year, watching the sunset and sipping red wine as the chops
sizzle and the ladies are inside...

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On 16 May 2008 11:14:35 GMT, Nick Cramer
> > wrote:
>

>>So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
>>morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG,
>>as
>>that was before I started keeping notes with
>>
>>http://www.healthdiabeticsoftware.com/
>>
>>Take care.

> I would only worry if I had hypo symptoms.

In my case I can't always FEEL the hypo. If others are around, they might
notice that I am acting strangely. But I might be by myself. So I think
it's best to treat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ankalime > wrote:
> On May 16, 8:49=A0am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > ankalime > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > Nick, I think Krom means he has a coupon from Chipotle Mexican
> > > Restaurant, not a coupon for a free chile.

> > Heh heh! Thanks, Cindy. I thought that was the case, but I also thought
> > some people might be interested in how to make their own Chipotles.

> You know, I did find that interesting... I never thought of making
> chipotles on my own. The grocery in the little town I live in doesn't
> carry any. Maybe I can talk my husband into getting a smoker next and
> we'll give it a go!

Cindy! If you're even _thinking_ about getting a smoker, go to
alt.food.barbecue, tell them what you're thinking of doing, ask what else
you can do and ask what they're thoughts are regarding various smokers and
where to buy. If this will be your fist time with a smoker, tell them that,
too. Also, what area you're in. There are folks there from around the
world, so you'll get some local info, too. Mostly a nice bunch of folks
with a few loons. Just like around here! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

[]
> I can eat two enchiladas at one time, provided the sauce isn't overly
> carby. Sometimes it is. Three would be pushing it.

Three sure pushed it for me, Julie! I don't know about the carbs in the
sauce. It was a real spicy salsa verde. Plus I ate all the frijoles
refritos. Would be nice if I could find a carbometer! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Just before dinner BG 68. Had three cheese enchiladas from Vallarta
> > market, with a spicy green sauce, topped with sour cream. Tortilla
> > chips, refried beans and rice on the side. Ate all the chips and beans,
> > half of the rice. Should've only had half of the beans and skipped the
> > rice. One hour PP BG 124. Two hour 165. Three hour 174. Four hour 197.
> > Five hour 181. Talk about pizza effect!

> Enchiladas can be Diabetic friendly. You have to find the high fiber-low
> carb tortillas and you have to use portion control.

I haven't made enchiladas in a long time, Janet, and that's the only way I
could get high fiber, low carb tortillas. Portion control is another
matter. ;-(

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >
> > I dunno. I had a total of four tortillas, 1/2 cup of refried beans and
> > 1/4 cup of rice.

> 4 tortillas is a whole day's worth of carbs for a lot of Diabetics. 1/2
> cup of beans isn't too bad as the beans have fiber to offset some of the
> carbs. The rice is something that should be avoided unless you are among
> the few Diabetics who can tolerate it. Most that I know find that rice
> is the worst carb as far as spiking goes. My DH among them. Even brown
> rice is bad for him.
>
> When we go out for Mexican, he asks for double beans and no rice. He
> rarely eats all the beans, but he can control for them with a bolus.
> Since you are not on insulin, you have to learn just how much beans you
> can tolerate and stay the heck away from high-carb tortillas and rice.
>
> A safe order in a Mexican restaurant is fajitas. Eat the meat and
> veggies and leave the tortillas and rice.

Thanks, Janet. My diabetician says that rice equals sugar, no matter what
kind.

My daughter sometimes makes turkey or chicken fajitas. She only gives me
one or two. I eat them with lots of real hot salsa colorado. Yep. I eat the
tortillas, too. Don't remember the numbers, as that was before I started
keeping records (started 5/4/08). I'll report next time, so Ozgirl and
Susan can hit me over the head. ;-D Just kidding girls. I really appreciate
the advice, and that you haven't given up on me.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >
> > So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
> > morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP
> > BG, as that was before I started keeping notes with

> DH sometimes has numbers in the high 60's. He uses the 15-15 method to
> bring up his BG. 15 grams of quick acting carbs. Wait 15 minutes and
> test again. If not back up to "normal" try another 15 grams of
> fast-acting carbs and another 15 minute wait.
>
> Fast acting carbs are glucose tablets, fruit juice, skim milk, regular
> soda and other high sucrose things. A bagel is not a fast acting carb
> and might just leave you a lot higher than you want to be.

Thanks, Janet. We have skim milk (ugh), regular soda and some sweet fruit
juices (argh), occasionally, real orange juice (Screwdriver for breakfast -
Doctor's orders). I'll try that 15-15 method next time. But bagels with
cream cheese sure are good! ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >
> > So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
> > morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP
> > BG, as that was before I started keeping notes with

> DH sometimes has numbers in the high 60's. He uses the 15-15 method to
> bring up his BG. 15 grams of quick acting carbs. Wait 15 minutes and
> test again. If not back up to "normal" try another 15 grams of
> fast-acting carbs and another 15 minute wait.
>
> Fast acting carbs are glucose tablets, fruit juice, skim milk, regular
> soda and other high sucrose things. A bagel is not a fast acting carb
> and might just leave you a lot higher than you want to be.

Thanks, Janet. We have skim milk (ugh), regular soda and some sweet fruit
juices (argh), occasionally, real orange juice (Screwdriver for breakfast -
Doctor's orders). Oh. 1 Tbs of Guava Nectar! I'll try that 15-15 method
next time. But bagels with cream cheese sure are good! ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"frohe" > wrote:
> "ankalime" > wrote in message

> > You know, I did find that interesting... I never thought of making
> > chipotles on my own. The grocery in the little town I live in doesn't
> > carry any. Maybe I can talk my husband into getting a smoker next and
> > we'll give it a go!

> You don't need a smoker to make the chipotles; your grill will work fine.
> Just make sure you cook them off to the side, not directly over the fire.
>
> Cook them for 2-1/2 hours over a 275-300°F fire until they are slightly
> shriveled, soft and brown in color. Take from the cooker and put on a
> cookie rack at room temp until they are dry, crisp and light. This may
> take several days depending on the humidity. I'm impatient; I use a
> dehydrator.

Hi, Frohe. I just got a batch of BBQ's Chipotle Habanero, Serrano, Jalapeño
powder, seeds in. The smoke smell and flavor is awesome and the heat is
deep and long lasting. Wash your hands well after touching it!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 05:39:46 -0700 (PDT), ankalime

> >Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
> >of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
> >a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
> >105. And the kids liked it!

> Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
> pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...

I have no control over Jun. She grills or smokes when she wants. When I'm
BBQing something, she always comes out with something she wants to grill on
the firebox. At least she buys lump charcoal and uses the chimney, rather
than that Charcoal Lighter stuff.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nicky > wrote:
> : On Fri, 16 May 2008 05:39:46 -0700 (PDT), ankalime

> : >Served 1 chicken breast per adult cut into strips with veg and a tbsp
> : >of sour cream on top, 1/3 c vegetarian refried beans on the side with
> : >a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and jalapenos on the side. 2 hour pp =
> : >105. And the kids liked it!
>
> : Sounds yummy! And what is it with the man/BBQ thing? I like a spot of
> : pyromania too, but I only ever get near the thing if he's away...

> I think it makes them think that they are a cave man rubbing sticks
> together to warm and feed their women and children. Like going hunting
> so they can stay with their buddies and not shave or bathe for several
> days. that seems to be the pattern near my summer home. You can smell
> those hunters from a mile away as they come to the supermarket to clean
> out all the beer.

That's a lot of cheap shots in one post, Wendy. Doncha love it when we
bring home that venison and rabbit? Sorry, we drink the Wild Turkey before
we get home!

PS You forgot the Smiley face!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >So, you don't think I have to worry about an FBG of 60? I had a 46 one
> >morning. I think I ate a bagel to bring it up. Don't remember the PP BG,
> >as that was before I started keeping notes with
> >
> >http://www.healthdiabeticsoftware.com/

> I would only worry if I had hypo symptoms.

What are the symptoms? I've never noticed anything unusual.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its a resteruant here with the name chipotole'..lol

supposedly they use organic stuff...

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote:
>> Oh i missread!
>> I didnt see he ate the chips too.. and the beans AND the rice...i just
>> read the three encheladas....
>>
>> That was a huge amount of carbs then so he was lucky he that low
>>
>> I got a free chipotle coupon and dunno if i even =want to bother..i hear
>> they are good and use natural ingredients tho so may try a taco salad..no
>> edible bowl..lol.

> A Chipotle is just a smoke-dried Jalapeño chile. They're easy to make at
> home, if you have a BBQ (smoker). The flavor will depend on the kind of
> wood you use for smoking, but the heat will remain the same. I have some
> friends (maybe that should read "fiends") who also make Serrano and
> Habanero 'Chipotles.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

holy smokes!

Guess i will pass on them unless i can find somthing suitable...

KROM