FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hypo today (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/155670-hypo-today.html)

Nick Cramer 16-05-2008 02:34 AM

Hypo today

FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP BG 86.
Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I didn't feel any
different at 60 than I normally do.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Julie Bove 16-05-2008 03:19 AM

Hypo today

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP BG 86.
> Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I didn't feel any
> different at 60 than I normally do.

I will gladly give you some of MY BG!

Nick Cramer 16-05-2008 04:29 AM

Hypo today

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP BG
> > 86. Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I didn't feel
> > any different at 60 than I normally do.

> I will gladly give you some of MY BG!

Heh heh! Thanks, Julie. You are too kind. My next reading should be higher.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Priscilla H. Ballou 19-05-2008 04:20 PM

Hypo today

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP BG 86.
> Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I didn't feel any
> different at 60 than I normally do.

You could have skipped the butter and got a quicker reaction from it,
probably. Fat slows the effects of carbs.

Priscilla, T2

Janet Wilder[_1_] 19-05-2008 06:09 PM

Hypo today

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP BG 86.
>> Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I didn't feel any
>> different at 60 than I normally do.

> You could have skipped the butter and got a quicker reaction from it,
> probably. Fat slows the effects of carbs.
>
> Priscilla, T2

You should have tried the 15-15 method. What you need is fast acting
carbs. Priscilla ia correct about the butter.

Nick, please don't let a hypo be an excuse to eat extra carbs of any
kind. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated with the correct
medical approach. This does NOT include bagels or toast.

Get a package of little juice boxes with orange juice in them. Keep one
in the fridge. If you are going out, purchase a tube of glucose tablets
or glucose gel. Cake icing gel is just as good and a little cheaper.

If I were there I'd have definitely smacked you upside the head for the
buttered toast when I'd just given you the lecture. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

jacquie[_2_] 19-05-2008 09:02 PM

Hypo today

I don't usually feel hypo symptoms until I am below 60...it is different in
people. My Dr. told me 50 isn't life threatening...and I said it is if you
loose focus and walk in front of a car...she said oh...:) Even though it may
not be life threatening when you first start feeling it, it can go downhill
fast ,so that is why you treat hypos at the first sign. I usually drink
juice...one time I didn't have the option of getting juice but a regular
coke worked well....should always follow it with some kind of protein,
cheese, meat ect. I don't remember why but remember someone told me that:)
Jacquie

Ozgirl 20-05-2008 02:01 AM

Hypo today

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>>
>>> FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP
>>> BG 86. Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I
>>> didn't feel any different at 60 than I normally do.

>> You could have skipped the butter and got a quicker reaction from it,
>> probably. Fat slows the effects of carbs.
>>
>> Priscilla, T2

> You should have tried the 15-15 method. What you need is fast acting
> carbs. Priscilla ia correct about the butter.
>
> Nick, please don't let a hypo be an excuse to eat extra carbs of any
> kind. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated with the
> correct medical approach. This does NOT include bagels or toast.
>
> Get a package of little juice boxes with orange juice in them. Keep
> one in the fridge. If you are going out, purchase a tube of glucose
> tablets or glucose gel. Cake icing gel is just as good and a little
> cheaper.
> If I were there I'd have definitely smacked you upside the head for
> the buttered toast when I'd just given you the lecture.

lol

Priscilla H. Ballou 20-05-2008 04:13 PM

Hypo today

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Nick, please don't let a hypo be an excuse to eat extra carbs of any
> kind. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated with the correct
> medical approach. This does NOT include bagels or toast.

*Some* bagel or toast would be fine. There's no need to avoid
countering a hypo with a food that you love but you normally can't eat.
I keep maple syrup in house for guests and rarely use more than a drop
or two myself, but once I needed to counter a hypo and sipped a
tablespoon of it (13 grams carb). It was glorious, and it brought me
back up out of shaky territory. Why shouldn't I use something I like?
Just watch the *amount*.

Priscilla, T2

Nick Cramer 21-05-2008 05:58 AM

Hypo today

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP BG
> > 86. Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I didn't feel
> > any different at 60 than I normally do.

> You could have skipped the butter and got a quicker reaction from it,
> probably. Fat slows the effects of carbs.

But it tastes soooooooo good!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer 21-05-2008 07:12 AM

Hypo today

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >
> >> FBG 60. Had half a slice of buttered whole grain toast. One hour PP BG
> >> 86. Two hour 76. I probably could have had a whoe slice. I didn't feel
> >> any different at 60 than I normally do.

> > You could have skipped the butter and got a quicker reaction from it,
> > probably. Fat slows the effects of carbs.

> You should have tried the 15-15 method. What you need is fast acting
> carbs. Priscilla ia correct about the butter.
>
> Nick, please don't let a hypo be an excuse to eat extra carbs of any
> kind. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated with the correct
> medical approach. This does NOT include bagels or toast.
>
> Get a package of little juice boxes with orange juice in them. Keep one
> in the fridge. If you are going out, purchase a tube of glucose tablets
> or glucose gel. Cake icing gel is just as good and a little cheaper.
>
> If I were there I'd have definitely smacked you upside the head for the
> buttered toast when I'd just given you the lecture. <g>

A sheynem dank, Janet. I forgot the 15-15. Duh! I know that going above 140
isn't good, no matter what. I'll ask my daughter to stash some of the
little orange juice boxes in the back of the 'fridge for me. If they're
visible, her 3, 5 and 7 year olds will nab them. Cake icing gel in the car
sounds good.

Don't you be hittin' me upside the haid, girl. My wife does that enough!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer 21-05-2008 07:21 AM

Hypo today

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
> > Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> >> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> > If I were there I'd have definitely smacked you upside the head for
> > the buttered toast when I'd just given you the lecture.

> lol

Glad you think that's funny, Ozgirl! ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Janet Wilder[_1_] 22-05-2008 01:06 AM

Hypo today

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Nick, please don't let a hypo be an excuse to eat extra carbs of any
>> kind. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated with the correct
>> medical approach. This does NOT include bagels or toast.

> *Some* bagel or toast would be fine. There's no need to avoid
> countering a hypo with a food that you love but you normally can't eat.
> I keep maple syrup in house for guests and rarely use more than a drop
> or two myself, but once I needed to counter a hypo and sipped a
> tablespoon of it (13 grams carb). It was glorious, and it brought me
> back up out of shaky territory. Why shouldn't I use something I like?
> Just watch the *amount*.
>
> Priscilla, T2

Maple syrup is a fast-acting carb. Bread is not

Julie Bove 22-05-2008 04:00 AM

Hypo today

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>>> Nick, please don't let a hypo be an excuse to eat extra carbs of any
>>> kind. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated with the correct
>>> medical approach. This does NOT include bagels or toast.

>> *Some* bagel or toast would be fine. There's no need to avoid countering
>> a hypo with a food that you love but you normally can't eat. I keep
>> maple syrup in house for guests and rarely use more than a drop or two
>> myself, but once I needed to counter a hypo and sipped a tablespoon of it
>> (13 grams carb). It was glorious, and it brought me back up out of shaky
>> territory. Why shouldn't I use something I like? Just watch the
>> *amount*.
>>
>> Priscilla, T2

> Maple syrup is a fast-acting carb. Bread is not

White bread is.

Ozgirl 22-05-2008 05:18 AM

Hypo today

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

>>> *Some* bagel or toast would be fine. There's no need to avoid
>>> countering a hypo with a food that you love but you normally can't
>>> eat. I keep maple syrup in house for guests and rarely use more
>>> than a drop or two myself, but once I needed to counter a hypo and
>>> sipped a tablespoon of it (13 grams carb). It was glorious, and it
>>> brought me back up out of shaky territory. Why shouldn't I use
>>> something I like? Just watch the *amount*.
>>>
>>> Priscilla, T2

>> Maple syrup is a fast-acting carb. Bread is not

> White bread is.

All bread is for me. I like using the GI as a tool but it doesn't always
work in my favour. Some things are better left uneaten.

Julie Bove 22-05-2008 05:52 AM

Hypo today

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Maple syrup is a fast-acting carb. Bread is not

>> White bread is.

> All bread is for me. I like using the GI as a tool but it doesn't always
> work in my favour. Some things are better left uneaten.

I had to use whole wheat bread at my aunt's house. She's a health food nut
and had nothing sweet in the house.

Priscilla Ballou 23-05-2008 03:00 AM

Hypo today

In article <Gl5Zj.3738$H91.3480@trndny09>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

> >> *Some* bagel or toast would be fine. There's no need to avoid countering
> >> a hypo with a food that you love but you normally can't eat. I keep
> >> maple syrup in house for guests and rarely use more than a drop or two
> >> myself, but once I needed to counter a hypo and sipped a tablespoon of it
> >> (13 grams carb). It was glorious, and it brought me back up out of shaky
> >> territory. Why shouldn't I use something I like? Just watch the
> >> *amount*.
> >>
> >> Priscilla, T2

> > Maple syrup is a fast-acting carb. Bread is not

> White bread is.

Yup. Starts being metabolized in the mouth.

Priscilla, T2