Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Parsnip Foam

This showed up on TV tonight and I know there's at least one parsnip
lover here. Carb count is cut by the addition of cream and lots of air.
For those that don't know, cooked parsnip isn't terribly diabetic
friendly. You'll have to test to see if it's manageable for you.

Cooked parsnip 17% CHO, 3.6% fiber, 4.8% sugars per USDA database.

Parsnip Foam
Ricardo Larrivee

1 pound parsnips
2/3 cup heavy cream
salt

beef broth

Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor and
puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.

Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
season with a pinch of salt.

This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef broth
garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.

---

I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of parsnips.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"percy" > wrote in message
> This showed up on TV tonight and I know there's at least one parsnip lover
> here. Carb count is cut by the addition of cream and lots of air. For
> those that don't know, cooked parsnip isn't terribly diabetic friendly.
> You'll have to test to see if it's manageable for you.
>
> Cooked parsnip 17% CHO, 3.6% fiber, 4.8% sugars per USDA database.
>
> Parsnip Foam
> Ricardo Larrivee
>
> 1 pound parsnips
> 2/3 cup heavy cream
> salt
>
> beef broth
>
> Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor and
> puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>
> Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and season
> with a pinch of salt.
>
> This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef broth
> garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
>
> ---
>
> I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of
> parsnips.

Interesting. I think parsnips might be more commonly used in other
countries, but they don't seem so common here. I never had one until
recently. Got some in my organic produce box. I tried eating it raw with
some other raw veggies. I wasn't thrilled with the taste, but it was
edible. Not good for my BG though.

Tried some more cut up, in a stew or soup. Can't remember which. Everybody
picked them out, not liking the taste of them cooked. I could eat them.
Not thrilled with the taste but found them edible. Once again, not good for
my BG.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy wrote in message ...
>This showed up on TV tonight and I know there's at least one parsnip
>lover here. Carb count is cut by the addition of cream and lots of

air.
>For those that don't know, cooked parsnip isn't terribly diabetic
>friendly. You'll have to test to see if it's manageable for you.
>
>Cooked parsnip 17% CHO, 3.6% fiber, 4.8% sugars per USDA database.
>
>Parsnip Foam
>Ricardo Larrivee
>
>1 pound parsnips
>2/3 cup heavy cream
>salt
>
>beef broth
>
>Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor

and
>puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>
>Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
>season with a pinch of salt.
>
>This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef

broth
>garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
>
>---
>
>I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of

parsnips.

>Vicki

That sounds really good and different. Thanks.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
> percy wrote in message ...
> > [ . . . ]

> That sounds really good and different. Thanks.

Neeps (turnips) & Tatties (potatoes) are wonderful. I make them every year
for my Burns Night (Jan 25th) dinner. Sadly, I can only have 1/4 cup of
each. ;-(

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

What an unusual recipe! I love parsnips just boiled and mashed with butter
and pepper but they really don't like me at all.

percy wrote:
> This showed up on TV tonight and I know there's at least one parsnip
> lover here. Carb count is cut by the addition of cream and lots of
> air. For those that don't know, cooked parsnip isn't terribly diabetic
> friendly. You'll have to test to see if it's manageable for you.
>
> Cooked parsnip 17% CHO, 3.6% fiber, 4.8% sugars per USDA database.
>
> Parsnip Foam
> Ricardo Larrivee
>
> 1 pound parsnips
> 2/3 cup heavy cream
> salt
>
> beef broth
>
> Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor and
> puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>
> Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
> season with a pinch of salt.
>
> This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef
> broth garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
>
> ---
>
> I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of
> parsnips.
> Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> What an unusual recipe! I love parsnips just boiled and mashed with
> butter and pepper but they really don't like me at all.
> [ . . . ]

That's the way I make them, too. Do they cause you gastric distress or
spike your BG? I can only eat 1/4 cup, damnit!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:11:15 -0400, percy >
wrote:

>Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor and
>puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>
>Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
>season with a pinch of salt.
>
>This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef broth
>garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
>
>---
>
>I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of parsnips.

Mmmm! Nice idea! I wonder if you could stretch the parsnip even
further with some whipped egg white?

Nicky (who has BIG problems with parsnip)
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> What an unusual recipe! I love parsnips just boiled and mashed with
>> butter and pepper but they really don't like me at all.
>> [ . . . ]

> That's the way I make them, too. Do they cause you gastric distress or
> spike your BG? I can only eat 1/4 cup, damnit!

Spike me. I have a gut of iron

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >> What an unusual recipe! I love parsnips just boiled and mashed with
> >> butter and pepper but they really don't like me at all.
> >> [ . . . ]

> > That's the way I make them, too. Do they cause you gastric distress or
> > spike your BG? I can only eat 1/4 cup, damnit!

> Spike me. I have a gut of iron

That's why I so little of it. Damned diabetes! Spoils all the fun.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> That's the way I make them, too. Do they cause you gastric distress
>>> or spike your BG? I can only eat 1/4 cup, damnit!

>> Spike me. I have a gut of iron

> That's why I so little of it. Damned diabetes! Spoils all the fun.

I like them roasted as well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >>
> >> Spike me. I have a gut of iron

> > That's why I so little of it. Damned diabetes! Spoils all the fun.

> I like them roasted as well.

Thanks for the idea, Ozgirl. Next time I've got the Barbie going, I'll try
that. Hmm. Beets might work, too.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16 May 2008 11:06:15 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Thanks for the idea, Ozgirl. Next time I've got the Barbie going, I'll try
>that. Hmm. Beets might work, too.

Beets are best roasted for a very long time at a very low temp, IMO -
I wrap them tightly in aluminium foil and put them in for 3 or 4 hours
at about 120deg.

They don't spike me at all - but parsnip does, out of all proportion
to its carb count. Weird, how some things do that!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 16 May 2008 11:06:15 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>
> >Thanks for the idea, Ozgirl. Next time I've got the Barbie going, I'll
> >try that. Hmm. Beets might work, too.

> Beets are best roasted for a very long time at a very low temp, IMO -
> I wrap them tightly in aluminium foil and put them in for 3 or 4 hours
> at about 120deg.
>
> They don't spike me at all - but parsnip does, out of all proportion
> to its carb count. Weird, how some things do that!

I find that roasting or BBQing things wrapped in aluminium foil gives them
more of a steamed than baked quality.

What's weird to me is the different reactions that different diabetics get
from the same food. 250 million people separated by a common disease!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On 16 May 2008 11:06:15 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the idea, Ozgirl. Next time I've got the Barbie going,
>> I'll try that. Hmm. Beets might work, too.

> Beets are best roasted for a very long time at a very low temp, IMO -
> I wrap them tightly in aluminium foil and put them in for 3 or 4 hours
> at about 120deg.

I like mine grated over a salad. Beets only spike me when pickled.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> On 16 May 2008 11:06:15 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the idea, Ozgirl. Next time I've got the Barbie going,
>>> I'll try that. Hmm. Beets might work, too.

>> Beets are best roasted for a very long time at a very low temp, IMO -
>> I wrap them tightly in aluminium foil and put them in for 3 or 4 hours
>> at about 120deg.

> I like mine grated over a salad. Beets only spike me when pickled.

I hate getting beets at a salad bar only to find out they are pickled. I do
like them though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote in message ...

>"percy" > wrote in message
>> This showed up on TV tonight and I know there's at least one

parsnip lover
>> here. Carb count is cut by the addition of cream and lots of air.

For
>> those that don't know, cooked parsnip isn't terribly diabetic

friendly.
>> You'll have to test to see if it's manageable for you.
>>
>> Cooked parsnip 17% CHO, 3.6% fiber, 4.8% sugars per USDA database.
>>
>> Parsnip Foam
>> Ricardo Larrivee
>>
>> 1 pound parsnips
>> 2/3 cup heavy cream
>> salt
>>
>> beef broth
>>
>> Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor

and
>> puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>>
>> Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and

season
>> with a pinch of salt.
>>
>> This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef

broth
>> garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.

I'm thinking the recipe could work well with cauliflower or turnips
too. I just never had thought of the whipped cream with them. I think
it would be fun to do that on a special occasion.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: > Nick Cramer wrote:
: > > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: > >> Nick Cramer wrote:
: > >>> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: > >>>> What an unusual recipe! I love parsnips just boiled and mashed with
: > >>>> butter and pepper but they really don't like me at all.
: > >>>> [ . . . ]
: > >>> That's the way I make them, too. Do they cause you gastric distress
: > >>> or spike your BG? I can only eat 1/4 cup, damnit!
: > >>
: > >> Spike me. I have a gut of iron
: > >
: > > That's why I so little of it. Damned diabetes! Spoils all the fun.
: >
: > I like them roasted as well.

: Thanks for the idea, Ozgirl. Next time I've got the Barbie going, I'll try
: that. Hmm. Beets might work, too.

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

I put one or two into my chicken soup pot.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: Nicky wrote:
: > On 16 May 2008 11:06:15 GMT, Nick Cramer >
: > wrote:
: >
: >> Thanks for the idea, Ozgirl. Next time I've got the Barbie going,
: >> I'll try that. Hmm. Beets might work, too.
: >
: > Beets are best roasted for a very long time at a very low temp, IMO -
: > I wrap them tightly in aluminium foil and put them in for 3 or 4 hours
: > at about 120deg.

: I like mine grated over a salad. Beets only spike me when pickled.

Have you tried making them yourself with an artificial sweetener? I do
them using the beet water, thinly sliced onions, pickling spice adn a bit
of Splenda briefly cooking this with sliced, cooked (or canned)) beets
and letting them sit a few days in the fridge in the sauce.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn Ruut wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "percy" > wrote in message
>>> This showed up on TV tonight and I know there's at least one parsnip
>>> lover here. Carb count is cut by the addition of cream and lots of
>>> air. For those that don't know, cooked parsnip isn't terribly
>>> diabetic friendly. You'll have to test to see if it's manageable
>>> for you. Cooked parsnip 17% CHO, 3.6% fiber, 4.8% sugars per USDA
>>> database.
>>>
>>> Parsnip Foam
>>> Ricardo Larrivee
>>>
>>> 1 pound parsnips
>>> 2/3 cup heavy cream
>>> salt
>>>
>>> beef broth
>>>
>>> Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor
>>> and puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>>>
>>> Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
>>> season with a pinch of salt.
>>>
>>> This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef
>>> broth garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of
>>> parsnips.

>> Interesting. I think parsnips might be more commonly used in other
>> countries, but they don't seem so common here. I never had one until
>> recently. Got some in my organic produce box. I tried eating it
>> raw with some other raw veggies. I wasn't thrilled with the taste,
>> but it was edible. Not good for my BG though.
>>
>> Tried some more cut up, in a stew or soup. Can't remember which.
>> Everybody picked them out, not liking the taste of them cooked. I
>> could eat them. Not thrilled with the taste but found them edible. Once
>> again, not good for my BG.

> A way to enjoy parsnips that really makes them taste great, is to
> cook them peeled and sliced with peeled and cut up carrots, together.
> Melt butter, put some lemon and parsley (fresh or dried) over it and
> toss. It is so delicious that way.

And I think parsnips are more than wonderful as is I never peel mine,
muich more fibre and texture that way - just how I like it I also don't
peel carrots or mushrooms. In the old days... I used to cook parsnip and
carrots together and use a honeyed carrots recipe. Now that is wonderful!
Too bad I can't have it anymore I had thought about trying sugar free
maple syrup though...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>> Nicky wrote:

>>> Beets are best roasted for a very long time at a very low temp, IMO
>>> - I wrap them tightly in aluminium foil and put them in for 3 or 4
>>> hours at about 120deg.

>> I like mine grated over a salad. Beets only spike me when pickled.

> Have you tried making them yourself with an artificial sweetener? I
> do them using the beet water, thinly sliced onions, pickling spice
> adn a bit of Splenda briefly cooking this with sliced, cooked (or
> canned)) beets and letting them sit a few days in the fridge in the
> sauce.

I'll try that. A number of years ago I asked how to pickle them and either
no one knew or even knew what a beet was!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >> Nicky wrote:
: >>> On 16 May 2008 11:06:15 GMT, Nick Cramer >
: >>> wrote:
: >>>
[...]

I love beets and , for some unknown reason, they don't spike me. I also
get a pretty good"low calorie" borscht, whihc uses artificial sweetener
adn is 25 calories an 8 oz cup, 4 grs of carb. nclding 1 gr. of fiber, so
a nice cold treat on a hot day with a little sour cream in it. In winter
I can get kind f gnarly, oldish bets that are topless adn fairly
inexpensive. I buy a large number-say 6-8 of these biggies and pressure
cook them so they don't take all day:-) I peel them whle still fairly
hot and use them for several days oas one of y vegetables. I think I
actually prefer the boiled to the roasted beets, as the flavor is so
sweety strong in teh roasted ones that it is almost too much.

In the summer I will make the pickled ones and have a jar in the fridge,
using them in salads, etc adn they keep well.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> And I think parsnips are more than wonderful as is I never peel mine,
> muich more fibre and texture that way - just how I like it I also don't
> peel carrots or mushrooms. In the old days... I used to cook parsnip and
> carrots together and use a honeyed carrots recipe. Now that is wonderful!
> Too bad I can't have it anymore I had thought about trying sugar free
> maple syrup though...

I have never peeled a mushroom and I generally don't peel carrots. Although
I do buy peeled baby carrots. I prefer my carrots raw as opposed to cooked.
I can eat some cooked carrots in things but I can't stand sweetened carrots.
Now that I think about it, I think that's what I didn't like about the
parsnips. They were too sweet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:18:14 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> And I think parsnips are more than wonderful as is I never peel mine,
>> muich more fibre and texture that way - just how I like it I also don't
>> peel carrots or mushrooms. In the old days... I used to cook parsnip and
>> carrots together and use a honeyed carrots recipe. Now that is wonderful!
>> Too bad I can't have it anymore I had thought about trying sugar free
>> maple syrup though...

>I have never peeled a mushroom and I generally don't peel carrots. Although
>I do buy peeled baby carrots. I prefer my carrots raw as opposed to cooked.
>I can eat some cooked carrots in things but I can't stand sweetened carrots.
>Now that I think about it, I think that's what I didn't like about the
>parsnips. They were too sweet.

I scrub veges that grow underground and if I peel them I use
the skins in stock.

I used to pick field mushrooms as a kid, in the field. I
know what they grow best in and under; and how they
fertilise them in mushroom farms. The old office joke that
the boss is a mushroom because he is kept in the dark and
fed on bulls**t isn't based on fiction. The biggest danger
when picking field mushrooms is the other inhabitants of the
field.

They don't scrub well, so I peel them.

I remember a TV chef who used to say that "life is too short
to peel mushrooms". My point is that it can be shorter if I
don't:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My Grandparents used to grow turnips ...they call them Arkansas
apples...they eat them raw....I like them cooked especially in my veggie
soups
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
>> percy wrote in message ...
>> > [ . . . ]

>> That sounds really good and different. Thanks.

> Neeps (turnips) & Tatties (potatoes) are wonderful. I make them every year
> for my Burns Night (Jan 25th) dinner. Sadly, I can only have 1/4 cup of
> each. ;-(
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:18:14 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>
>>> And I think parsnips are more than wonderful as is I never peel mine,
>>> muich more fibre and texture that way - just how I like it I also
>>> don't
>>> peel carrots or mushrooms. In the old days... I used to cook parsnip
>>> and
>>> carrots together and use a honeyed carrots recipe. Now that is
>>> wonderful!
>>> Too bad I can't have it anymore I had thought about trying sugar free
>>> maple syrup though...

>>I have never peeled a mushroom and I generally don't peel carrots.
>>Although
>>I do buy peeled baby carrots. I prefer my carrots raw as opposed to
>>cooked.
>>I can eat some cooked carrots in things but I can't stand sweetened
>>carrots.
>>Now that I think about it, I think that's what I didn't like about the
>>parsnips. They were too sweet.
>>

> I scrub veges that grow underground and if I peel them I use
> the skins in stock.
>
> I used to pick field mushrooms as a kid, in the field. I
> know what they grow best in and under; and how they
> fertilise them in mushroom farms. The old office joke that
> the boss is a mushroom because he is kept in the dark and
> fed on bulls**t isn't based on fiction. The biggest danger
> when picking field mushrooms is the other inhabitants of the
> field.
>
> They don't scrub well, so I peel them.
>
> I remember a TV chef who used to say that "life is too short
> to peel mushrooms". My point is that it can be shorter if I
> don't:-)

I once grew oyster mushrooms in my kitchen. They were right nasty looking
and all got "done" at once. I wound up throwing them all out. Husband
wouldn't eat them and I don't much like mushrooms. I had bought the growing
kit as a gift, not realizing that it was perishable and I couldn't ship it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 17 May 2008 06:41:19 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:18:14 GMT, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I have never peeled a mushroom and I generally don't peel carrots.
>>>Although
>>>I do buy peeled baby carrots. I prefer my carrots raw as opposed to
>>>cooked.
>>>I can eat some cooked carrots in things but I can't stand sweetened
>>>carrots.
>>>Now that I think about it, I think that's what I didn't like about the
>>>parsnips. They were too sweet.
>>>

>> I scrub veges that grow underground and if I peel them I use
>> the skins in stock.
>>
>> I used to pick field mushrooms as a kid, in the field. I
>> know what they grow best in and under; and how they
>> fertilise them in mushroom farms. The old office joke that
>> the boss is a mushroom because he is kept in the dark and
>> fed on bulls**t isn't based on fiction. The biggest danger
>> when picking field mushrooms is the other inhabitants of the
>> field.
>>
>> They don't scrub well, so I peel them.
>>
>> I remember a TV chef who used to say that "life is too short
>> to peel mushrooms". My point is that it can be shorter if I
>> don't:-)

>I once grew oyster mushrooms in my kitchen. They were right nasty looking
>and all got "done" at once. I wound up throwing them all out. Husband
>wouldn't eat them and I don't much like mushrooms. I had bought the growing
>kit as a gift, not realizing that it was perishable and I couldn't ship it.

I may have given the wrong impression. I LOVE mushrooms. I
reckon they are the perfect food for anyone trying to lose
weight - almost zero carbs and zero calories but wonderful
flavour. The only calories come from the cooking method.

I just make sure that they are peeled; and it takes only
seconds to do it.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

jacquie > wrote:
: My Grandparents used to grow turnips ...they call them Arkansas
: apples...they eat them raw....I like them cooked especially in my veggie
: soups

I use them in stew in place of the potatoes and also in vegetable soups.
I am talking aabout the white ones with purle botoms, not the big orange
things with wax all over them sld as Canadian turips in my market, but
also called rutabega or Swedes. Those I can't abide. Not may foods I say
that about:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The purple/white ones are the ones I'm talking about
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> jacquie > wrote:
> : My Grandparents used to grow turnips ...they call them Arkansas
> : apples...they eat them raw....I like them cooked especially in my veggie
> : soups
>
> I use them in stew in place of the potatoes and also in vegetable soups.
> I am talking aabout the white ones with purle botoms, not the big orange
> things with wax all over them sld as Canadian turips in my market, but
> also called rutabega or Swedes. Those I can't abide. Not may foods I say
> that about:-)
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:11:15 -0400, percy >
> wrote:
>
>>Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor and
>>puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>>
>>Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
>>season with a pinch of salt.
>>
>>This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef broth
>>garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
>>
>>---
>>
>>I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of
>>parsnips.

> Mmmm! Nice idea! I wonder if you could stretch the parsnip even
> further with some whipped egg white?
>
> Nicky (who has BIG problems with parsnip)
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

As a newly joined member of the Type 2 clan I also have to confess to loving
both parsnips and beetroots. Living in Pa Dutch country where scrabble and
boiled beetroots seem to be a way of life and having imported my English
tastes, I now have to cater very much for myself in order to get flavourful
and tasty foods.

From a taste point of view, beets boiled are totally tasteless and so are
parsnips. Here is a recipe for pickling beets and can also be used for
onions as well.

1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Ground ginger
A few black peppercorns
1 pint white vinegar although I prefer Heinz Malt Vinegar, malt being more
to my taste.

Boil the beets until they are just softish in salted water. Boil the vinegar
and the spices for a few minutes. When the whole lot have cooled, slice the
beets and shove 'em into Mason Jars, cover with the vinegar and leave for a
few weeks. Ditto onions. Both the veggies are excellent with some home
made baguettes, Stilton cheese and, if possible some Branson Pickle,
available here in the US via email.

I haven't yet determined the effect the afore mentioned feast might have on
my BG.

Another vegetable which is conspicuous by its absence here in Dutchy country
is Swedes, commonly available along with beets, parsnips, spuds, etc., etc.
at any greengrocer in the UK. Any one here in the US familiar with them and
where they might be bought? They are exquisite in a roast beef dinner
along with the other veggies.

Bon appetite.

Cuddly Duddly

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cuddly Duddly" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:11:15 -0400, percy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor and
>>>puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
>>>
>>>Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
>>>season with a pinch of salt.
>>>
>>>This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef broth
>>>garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
>>>
>>>---
>>>
>>>I'd bet this recipe would still work well with half the amount of
>>>parsnips.

>> Mmmm! Nice idea! I wonder if you could stretch the parsnip even
>> further with some whipped egg white?
>>
>> Nicky (who has BIG problems with parsnip)
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

> As a newly joined member of the Type 2 clan I also have to confess to
> loving both parsnips and beetroots. Living in Pa Dutch country where
> scrabble and boiled beetroots seem to be a way of life and having imported
> my English tastes, I now have to cater very much for myself in order to
> get flavourful and tasty foods.
>
> From a taste point of view, beets boiled are totally tasteless and so are
> parsnips. Here is a recipe for pickling beets and can also be used for
> onions as well.
>
> 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
> 1 tsp Ground ginger
> A few black peppercorns
> 1 pint white vinegar although I prefer Heinz Malt Vinegar, malt being more
> to my taste.
>
> Boil the beets until they are just softish in salted water. Boil the
> vinegar and the spices for a few minutes. When the whole lot have cooled,
> slice the beets and shove 'em into Mason Jars, cover with the vinegar and
> leave for a few weeks. Ditto onions. Both the veggies are excellent with
> some home made baguettes, Stilton cheese and, if possible some Branson
> Pickle, available here in the US via email.
>
> I haven't yet determined the effect the afore mentioned feast might have
> on my BG.
>
> Another vegetable which is conspicuous by its absence here in Dutchy
> country is Swedes, commonly available along with beets, parsnips, spuds,
> etc., etc. at any greengrocer in the UK. Any one here in the US familiar
> with them and where they might be bought? They are exquisite in a roast
> beef dinner along with the other veggies.
>
> Bon appetite.
>
> Cuddly Duddly

Aren't swedes known as rutabegas in the US? I've often seen a few of them
near
the turnips, but few enough to indicate they don't sell very well here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cuddly Duddly > wrote:

: "Nicky" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:11:15 -0400, percy >
: > wrote:
: >
: >>Cook parsnips in boiling water until soft. Place in food processor and
: >>puree until very smooth. Set aside to cool at least 45 minutes.
: >>
: >>Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the cooled parsnip puree and
: >>season with a pinch of salt.
: >>
: >>This was served in a cappuccino mug spooned over hot homemade beef broth
: >>garnished with black pepper. 4 to 6 servings.
: >>
: >>---
: >>
[...]

The Swedes, or ruabegas o Canadian turnips are available here at my
fairway market, a large, well prices, fancy vegetable market adn other
foods. (It started with fruits and vegetables and has grown since). As
I wrote in an earlier post, I don't like them, a rre ccurance for me.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> on
> : my BG.
>
> : Another vegetable which is conspicuous by its absence here in Dutchy
> country
> : is Swedes, commonly available along with beets, parsnips, spuds, etc.,
> etc.
> : at any greengrocer in the UK. Any one here in the US familiar with them
> and
> : where they might be bought? They are exquisite in a roast beef dinner
> : along with the other veggies.
>
> : Bon appetite.
>
> : Cuddly Duddly
>
> The Swedes, or ruabegas o Canadian turnips are available here at my
> fairway market, a large, well prices, fancy vegetable market adn other
> foods. (It started with fruits and vegetables and has grown since). As
> I wrote in an earlier post, I don't like them, a rre ccurance for me.

Ah, rutebegas. Thank you.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 17 May 2008 20:14:07 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>I use them in stew in place of the potatoes and also in vegetable soups.
>I am talking aabout the white ones with purle botoms, not the big orange
>things with wax all over them sld as Canadian turips in my market, but
>also called rutabega or Swedes. Those I can't abide. Not may foods I say
>that about:-)

Mashed swede and carrot is a treat! Lots of butter, a bit of cinnamon
and black pepper, and a grate of nutmeg. It's a staple with a roast.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 17 May 2008 17:00:27 -0400, "Cuddly Duddly"
> wrote:

<snip>
>As a newly joined member of the Type 2 clan I also have to confess to loving
>both parsnips and beetroots.

<snip tasty recipe>
>I haven't yet determined the effect the afore mentioned feast might have on
>my BG.

I respectfully suggest that it may be a wise idea:-)

Start he
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Angkor Wat
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com

Parsnip question Mike[_36_] General Cooking 12 02-05-2009 08:15 PM
Mince with Parsnip and Potato Mash Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 17-05-2006 01:33 AM
Gloppy parsnip manawydan Winemaking 0 30-04-2006 07:29 PM
Apple and Parsnip Soup Tim Recipes 0 02-01-2006 02:00 AM
Ashy's Spicy parsnip soup Tim Recipes 0 02-01-2006 02:00 AM