Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Greens and Beans recipe

I haven't made this, but when I saw it I was reminded that some folks here
can't eat dairy or gluten.

Greens and Beans

Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan

Fresh escarole combines with pantry classics of olive oil, crushed red
pepper and canned cannelini beans in this simple, nutritious side dish that
pairs well with hearty entrées. While we like the flavor of escarole best,
this dish can also be made with spinach, mustard greens, kale or broccoli
rabe. Serves 8

* 3 small heads escarole (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 6 garlic cloves, sliced into paper-thin slices or minced
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
* 3 cups cooked cannelini or other white beans, including liquid
* sea salt, to taste
* ground pepper, to taste

To prepare the escarole, cut out the core of each head, then cut the leaves
into bite-sized pieces. Rinse the leaves several times in cold water until
all the dirt has been rinsed off. Drain the escarole of as much liquid as
possible prior to sautéing.

Combine the olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large sauté or
frying pan and heat together over medium heat until the garlic begins to
lightly brown (approximately 5-6 minutes). Be very careful not to burn the
garlic as it will turn bitter.

Once the garlic has browned, increase the heat and add the drained escarole
leaves and sauté, turning frequently with a pair of tongs. This step can be
done in batches if necessary. The escarole is finished once it has wilted
but is still bright green (approximately 2 to 3 minutes). Transfer the
sautéed escarole to a colander to drain.

Add the beans and liquid to the same pan and bring to a simmer over medium
heat. Return the sautéed escarole to the pan, combine well, and season to
taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve. If additional
liquid accumulates in the dish as it sits, drain it prior to serving.
Nutrition Info

Per serving (191g-wt.): 180 calories (50 from fat), 6g total fat, 1g
saturated fat, 8g protein, 25g total carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 0g
sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>I haven't made this, but when I saw it I was reminded that some folks here
> can't eat dairy or gluten.

<snip>
I don't think I've ever had escarole. I can't stand cooked greens though
unless they are finely minced and mixed well into something. It's a texture
thing.