Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Bagel snack

FBG 80. Had 1/4 of a low carb bagel with cream cheese. Net carbs 5 gms.
One hour PP BG 84. Next time, 1/2 bagel!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 80. Had 1/4 of a low carb bagel with cream cheese. Net carbs 5 gms.
> One hour PP BG 84. Next time, 1/2 bagel!

Dang. Here I thought you were going to tell us a horror story about eating
a big honking bagel! I just threw out a package. We go to the bread outlet
to get some gluten and soy free beef jerky for Angela and also some honey
mustard and other non-bread things. I rarely buy bread in there. But they
give you free stuff depending on how much you buy. The free stuff is always
bread stuff and I usually qualify for 4 or 5 free things. Last time I could
have gotten 4 freebies. There were mainly bagels but also some sourdough
rolls and I think maybe some sweet rolls.

I have a friend who could use these things, but she's in another city and
the cost of gas for me to get them to her would be prohibitive. Otherwise,
I don't know of anyone who would use them. I took two packs of bagels
giving one to my parents and taking the other home, hoping my husband might
eat them before he went out of town. He didn't. Instead, he hoovered my
flax seed bread, leaving none for me. I went to the store to get some more,
but they were out of it. Grrr... There are only a few stores around here
that sell it and I was feeling really sick at the time and didn't feel up to
going elsewhere. So I got a loaf of sourdough. It's what I was eating
before I found the flax.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > FBG 80. Had 1/4 of a low carb bagel with cream cheese. Net carbs 5 gms.
> > One hour PP BG 84. Next time, 1/2 bagel!

> Dang. Here I thought you were going to tell us a horror story about
> eating a big honking bagel! [ . . . ]I got a loaf of sourdough.
> It's what I was eating before I found the flax.

I stretched that 1/4 bagel to four bites. Boo hoo! Someone on
rec.food.sourdough mentioned that sourdough is lower carb than regular
bread. Also, that whole grain dough makes the lowest net carb bread. Since
I'm thinking of getting back into making sourdough bread, I found that
interesting. More research needed.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > FBG 80. Had 1/4 of a low carb bagel with cream cheese. Net carbs 5 gms.
>> > One hour PP BG 84. Next time, 1/2 bagel!

>> Dang. Here I thought you were going to tell us a horror story about
>> eating a big honking bagel! [ . . . ]I got a loaf of sourdough.
>> It's what I was eating before I found the flax.

> I stretched that 1/4 bagel to four bites. Boo hoo! Someone on
> rec.food.sourdough mentioned that sourdough is lower carb than regular
> bread. Also, that whole grain dough makes the lowest net carb bread. Since
> I'm thinking of getting back into making sourdough bread, I found that
> interesting. More research needed.

When Angela was a toddler, I used to buy her the mini bagels. I would eat
one of those on a rare occasion. Never was much of a bagel lover though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> Dang. Here I thought you were going to tell us a horror story about
> >> eating a big honking bagel! [ . . . ]I got a loaf of sourdough.
> >> It's what I was eating before I found the flax.

> > I stretched that 1/4 bagel to four bites. Boo hoo! Someone on
> > rec.food.sourdough mentioned that sourdough is lower carb than regular
> > bread. Also, that whole grain dough makes the lowest net carb bread.
> > Since I'm thinking of getting back into making sourdough bread, I found
> > that interesting. More research needed.

> When Angela was a toddler, I used to buy her the mini bagels. I would
> eat one of those on a rare occasion. Never was much of a bagel lover
> though.

The best bagels were in NYC. Don't remember where. I had 1/2 bagel with
cream cheese and a slice of red onion about an hour ago (no tomato or lox
on hand). FBG was 78, one hour PP BG was 117. I guess red onions are sweet.
;-/

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > I stretched that 1/4 bagel to four bites. Boo hoo! Someone on
>> > rec.food.sourdough mentioned that sourdough is lower carb than regular
>> > bread. Also, that whole grain dough makes the lowest net carb bread.
>> > Since I'm thinking of getting back into making sourdough bread, I found
>> > that interesting. More research needed.

>> When Angela was a toddler, I used to buy her the mini bagels. I would
>> eat one of those on a rare occasion. Never was much of a bagel lover
>> though.

> The best bagels were in NYC. Don't remember where. I had 1/2 bagel with
> cream cheese and a slice of red onion about an hour ago (no tomato or lox
> on hand). FBG was 78, one hour PP BG was 117. I guess red onions are
> sweet.
> ;-/

I never had any bagels when we lived in NYC. The knishes were wonderful
though!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure out
how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with half a
bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be your limit
for remaining fairly static.

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > I stretched that 1/4 bagel to four bites. Boo hoo! Someone on
>> > rec.food.sourdough mentioned that sourdough is lower carb than regular
>> > bread. Also, that whole grain dough makes the lowest net carb bread.
>> > Since I'm thinking of getting back into making sourdough bread, I found
>> > that interesting. More research needed.

>> When Angela was a toddler, I used to buy her the mini bagels. I would
>> eat one of those on a rare occasion. Never was much of a bagel lover
>> though.

> The best bagels were in NYC. Don't remember where. I had 1/2 bagel with
> cream cheese and a slice of red onion about an hour ago (no tomato or lox
> on hand). FBG was 78, one hour PP BG was 117. I guess red onions are
> sweet.
> ;-/
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure out
> how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with half a
> bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be your
> limit for remaining fairly static.

Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh, how I
wanted tomato & lox on them!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08 May 2008 09:32:58 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>"Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure out
>> how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with half a
>> bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be your
>> limit for remaining fairly static.

>Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh, how I
>wanted tomato & lox on them!

Uh, Nick - you only get one fasting blood glucose per day, you need
12-13 hours between them : )

And what is a knish?!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 08 May 2008 09:32:58 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> >"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >> Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure
> >> out how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with
> >> half a bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be
> >> your limit for remaining fairly static.

> >Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh,
> >how I wanted tomato & lox on them!

> Uh, Nick - you only get one fasting blood glucose per day, you need
> 12-13 hours between them : )
>
> And what is a knish?!

You can be sooo bossy! I guess I should've called the second one 'before
dinner' or 'before bedtime snack'. But I'm still not in bed!

Think of a knish as a Jewish calzone or empanada. Close enough for folk
music. "Havana Gila!" ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On 08 May 2008 09:32:58 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>"Ozgirl" > wrote:
>>> Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure
>>> out
>>> how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with half a
>>> bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be your
>>> limit for remaining fairly static.

>>Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh, how
>>wanted tomato & lox on them!

> Uh, Nick - you only get one fasting blood glucose per day, you need
> 12-13 hours between them : )
>
> And what is a knish?!

A knish is Jewish food. They are filled with various things. Some are flat
and some are ball-like. I had the flat ones and they were filled with
cheese and potato and maybe some onion. Had some sort of crust-like coating
on them. Not good for diabetics at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Nicky > wrote:
>> >
>> >Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh,
>> >how I wanted tomato & lox on them!

>> Uh, Nick - you only get one fasting blood glucose per day, you need
>> 12-13 hours between them : )
>>
>> And what is a knish?!

> You can be sooo bossy! I guess I should've called the second one 'before
> dinner' or 'before bedtime snack'. But I'm still not in bed!

lol. Yeah as Nicky said. FBG is the first of the day and taken when you
first step out of bed.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure out
>> how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with half a
>> bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be your
>> limit for remaining fairly static.

> Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh, how
> wanted tomato & lox on them!

Then try it with tomato and lox. I'd be experimenting with all combos.
Seeing you had the second one at 10.20 pm, you might be messing with your
natural rhythm. In the early hours your bg may be rising naturally to help
you in the morning. I know that DP often occurs not long before waking time
but if I stay up past midnight I see mine rising from then. Your late meals
might just be screwing with nature.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > Nicky > wrote:
> >> On 08 May 2008 09:32:58 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> lol. Yeah as Nicky said. FBG is the first of the day and taken when you
> first step out of bed.

OK. I'll try to see if I can be that functional before my first cuppa.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >> Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure
> >> out how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with
> >> half a bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be
> >> your limit for remaining fairly static.

> > Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh,
> > how I wanted tomato & lox on them!

> Then try it with tomato and lox. I'd be experimenting with all combos.
> Seeing you had the second one at 10.20 pm, you might be messing with your
> natural rhythm. In the early hours your bg may be rising naturally to
> help you in the morning. I know that DP often occurs not long before
> waking time but if I stay up past midnight I see mine rising from then.
> Your late meals might just be screwing with nature.

We didn't have any lox and I couldn't find the tomatoes. My natural rhythm
is to stay up 'til 4 or 5 AM and get up between noon and 2 PM.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> >
>> > Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh,
>> > how I wanted tomato & lox on them!

>> Then try it with tomato and lox. I'd be experimenting with all combos.
>> Seeing you had the second one at 10.20 pm, you might be messing with your
>> natural rhythm. In the early hours your bg may be rising naturally to
>> help you in the morning. I know that DP often occurs not long before
>> waking time but if I stay up past midnight I see mine rising from then.
>> Your late meals might just be screwing with nature.

> We didn't have any lox and I couldn't find the tomatoes. My natural rhythm
> is to stay up 'til 4 or 5 AM and get up between noon and 2 PM.

Gee, we are almost on the same schedule!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

: >"Ozgirl" > wrote:
: >> Was one of these yesterday and the other today? I am trying to figure out
: >> how you could have 4-5 hours between FBG's The extra bg with half a
: >> bagel might be from the bagel itself not the onions. 1/4 may be your
: >> limit for remaining fairly static.
: >
: >Both today (now yesterday). First at 5:40 PM. Second at 10:20 PM. Oh, how I
: >wanted tomato & lox on them!

: Uh, Nick - you only get one fasting blood glucose per day, you need
: 12-13 hours between them : )

: And what is a knish?!

: Nicky.
: T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
: D&E, 100ug thyroxine
: Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Well, I have never made them, but it i a rolled doughy thing, usually
fried adn stuffed with either mahed oatoes, kasha or, if very fancy,
liver. they are kind of leaden and feel like that in your stomach. As
you can tell, they wee never a favorite of mine except for the liver ones
served in a small size at weddings etc. I would say they are a hevy
cousin to a pirogy, if that helps.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 9 May 2008 19:37:04 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
wrote:

> I would say they are a hevy
>cousin to a pirogy, if that helps.

Yup, that resonates with my Russian roots : ) Thanks, Wendy (and Nick
and Julie).

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nicky > wrote:
> : On 08 May 2008 09:32:58 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> : >"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> : >> [ . . . ]
> : And what is a knish?!

> Well, I have never made them, but it i a rolled doughy thing, usually
> fried adn stuffed with either mahed oatoes, kasha or, if very fancy,
> liver. they are kind of leaden and feel like that in your stomach. As
> you can tell, they wee never a favorite of mine except for the liver ones
> served in a small size at weddings etc. I would say they are a hevy
> cousin to a pirogy, if that helps.

LOL Jun's Curry Puffs are Thai Pierogis! She fills them with potato, onion,
chicken, curry powder, sugar and she won't tell me the rest, then deep
fries them. Light, crisp, delicious, not diabetes friendly. I've asked her
to make me a batch using Carbquik™, filling them with apple and pork and
Splenda™. Of course I'd keep BG records, but she turns out about 600 Curry
Puffs a week, so I'm not pushing her on it.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

: > I would say they are a hevy
: >cousin to a pirogy, if that helps.

: Yup, that resonates with my Russian roots : ) Thanks, Wendy (and Nick
: and Julie).

: Nicky.

Much Jewisn cooking relects the food of the area in which the Jews are
living. My ancestors came form RUssia,/Lithuania/Ukraine/Poland back when
it was all called Russia, so the family recipes can be quite similar to
russian Christian cookingg, with the exception of the kosher requirements
of no porkfat, no milk with meat, etc. chicken fat(and gooe adn duck) was
the basic non-dairy fat for Jews in that area, but the foods often
resemble local native foods. kasha, smoked and pickled fish, etc.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Nicky > wrote:
> : On Fri, 9 May 2008 19:37:04 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
> : wrote:
>
> : > I would say they are a hevy
> : >cousin to a pirogy, if that helps.
>
> : Yup, that resonates with my Russian roots : ) Thanks, Wendy (and Nick
> : and Julie).
>
> : Nicky.
>
> Much Jewisn cooking relects the food of the area in which the Jews are
> living. My ancestors came form RUssia,/Lithuania/Ukraine/Poland back when
> it was all called Russia, so the family recipes can be quite similar to
> russian Christian cookingg, with the exception of the kosher requirements
> of no porkfat, no milk with meat, etc. chicken fat(and gooe adn duck) was
> the basic non-dairy fat for Jews in that area, but the foods often
> resemble local native foods. kasha, smoked and pickled fish, etc.
>
> Wendy

Wendy,

I just finished reading Joan Nathan's "Jewish Cooking in America" She
did the PBS series many years back. The book is a history book with
recipes. I read it like a novel. I highly recommend it.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Best Bagel Ever. j.harmon09 Vegetarian cooking 4 18-07-2011 12:55 AM
Bagel question BigJohn Sourdough 0 02-06-2007 01:51 PM
Bagel Former Belts [email protected] Restaurants 2 02-02-2005 12:20 AM
ko- Nabisco Snack Well's Banana Snack Bars ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 13-11-2004 04:14 PM