Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Dim sum & Japanese coleslaw 'snack'

FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186. Four
hour 159. ;-(

Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One with
spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito. Three tablespoons of
coleslaw. Next time, one dim sum and no coleslaw. I was gonna have steak
for dinner. I guess I'll skip it and have it tomorrow instead of that other
'stuff'. Or just commit seppuku.

*Japanese cole slaw Haiku

Cabbage head, solo,
or tangled up with spirals
of blushing carrot.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05 May 2008 07:15:59 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
>sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186. Four
>hour 159. ;-(
>
>Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One with
>spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito. Three tablespoons of
>coleslaw. Next time, one dim sum and no coleslaw. I was gonna have steak
>for dinner. I guess I'll skip it and have it tomorrow instead of that other
>'stuff'. Or just commit seppuku.
>
>*Japanese cole slaw Haiku
>
>Cabbage head, solo,
>or tangled up with spirals
>of blushing carrot.

Make up your own sauce. I use a very simple one - commercial
full-fat old-fashioned mayo (egg and oil) mixed in equal
parts with plain home-made yoghurt, season with cracked
pepper, mix with the sliced cabbage and shredded carrot.

Your dim sums, if they are like the ones down here, are
likely to be encased in a dumpling. That's more of a problem
than the sauces.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:Is Testing Worthwhile?
and Cambodia
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008/03/cambodia.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

>Cabbage head, solo,
>or tangled up with spirals
>of blushing carrot.

Dim sum with sweet sauce
poor food for diabetics
coleslaw with sugar?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
> sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186. Four
> hour 159. ;-(
>
> Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One with
> spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito. Three tablespoons of
> coleslaw. Next time, one dim sum and no coleslaw. I was gonna have steak
> for dinner. I guess I'll skip it and have it tomorrow instead of that
> other
> 'stuff'. Or just commit seppuku.
>
> *Japanese cole slaw Haiku
>
> Cabbage head, solo,
> or tangled up with spirals
> of blushing carrot.

The coleslaw would probably be fine if subbed the sugar in the dressing with
splenda. The culprit was the dim sum, I personally would not be having even
one.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I didn't see the "sauces" first time round. Just use a bit of soy and some
wasabi for dipping, but still keep away from the dim sums

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
> sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186. Four
> hour 159. ;-(
>
> Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One with
> spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito. Three tablespoons of
> coleslaw. Next time, one dim sum and no coleslaw. I was gonna have steak
> for dinner. I guess I'll skip it and have it tomorrow instead of that
> other
> 'stuff'. Or just commit seppuku.
>
> *Japanese cole slaw Haiku
>
> Cabbage head, solo,
> or tangled up with spirals
> of blushing carrot.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 05 May 2008 08:32:51 +0100, Nicky
> wrote:

>On 05 May 2008 07:15:59 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>wrote:
>
>>Cabbage head, solo,
>>or tangled up with spirals
>>of blushing carrot.

>Dim sum with sweet sauce
>poor food for diabetics
>coleslaw with sugar?

An American thing. Surprised me too when I was there. I had
forgotten what KFC coleslaw, my only previous experience of
US-style slaw sauce, did to my BGs when I was first testing.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:Is Testing Worthwhile?
and Cambodia
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008/03/cambodia.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
> >sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186.
> >Four hour 159. ;-( []

> Make up your own sauce. I use a very simple one - commercial
> full-fat old-fashioned mayo (egg and oil) mixed in equal
> parts with plain home-made yoghurt, season with cracked
> pepper, mix with the sliced cabbage and shredded carrot.
>
> Your dim sums, if they are like the ones down here, are
> likely to be encased in a dumpling. That's more of a problem
> than the sauces.

Yes. Perhaps a taro dough, from the consistancy. That's about what I'd do,
if I was making my own coleslaw, although I'd use sour cream instead of
yoghurt.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Alan S > wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
>> >sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186.
>> >Four hour 159. ;-( []

>> Make up your own sauce. I use a very simple one - commercial
>> full-fat old-fashioned mayo (egg and oil) mixed in equal
>> parts with plain home-made yoghurt, season with cracked
>> pepper, mix with the sliced cabbage and shredded carrot.
>>
>> Your dim sums, if they are like the ones down here, are
>> likely to be encased in a dumpling. That's more of a problem
>> than the sauces.

> Yes. Perhaps a taro dough, from the consistancy. That's about what I'd do,
> if I was making my own coleslaw, although I'd use sour cream instead of
> yoghurt.

I use plain ranch dressing for coleslaw.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 05 May 2008 07:15:59 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> Dim sum with sweet sauce
> poor food for diabetics
> coleslaw with sugar?

<groan> I'm learning. Not too slowly, I hope. ;-(

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?).
> > The sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour
> > 186. Four hour 159. ;-(

[ . . . ]
> The coleslaw would probably be fine if subbed the sugar in the dressing
> with splenda. The culprit was the dim sum, I personally would not be
> having even one.

Thanks, Ozgirl. The coleslaw came with the dressing and it had been so
long . . .

I think you're right about the dim sum, too. Maybe a half, next time.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

[]
> The coleslaw would probably be fine if subbed the sugar in the dressing
> with splenda. The culprit was the dim sum, I personally would not be
> having even one.

I also have this, which I haven't tried yet, from another cyberfriend:

Cole Slaw, Becky's

There really are no set measurements in this recipe, though. I start with
about a cup of Hellman's mayo, add enough apple cider vinegar to make it
very creamy when whisked (maybe between 1/4-1/3 cup), dry mustard, celery
seed, Tabasco, and a bit of Splenda (or sugar, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or more).
Then it's just shredded cabbage, red bell pepper, and Italian parsley.
Dressing poured over, and tossed. It's better the next day!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> []
>> The coleslaw would probably be fine if subbed the sugar in the dressing
>> with splenda. The culprit was the dim sum, I personally would not be
>> having even one.

> I also have this, which I haven't tried yet, from another cyberfriend:
>
> Cole Slaw, Becky's
>
> There really are no set measurements in this recipe, though. I start with
> about a cup of Hellman's mayo, add enough apple cider vinegar to make it
> very creamy when whisked (maybe between 1/4-1/3 cup), dry mustard, celery
> seed, Tabasco, and a bit of Splenda (or sugar, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or
> more).
> Then it's just shredded cabbage, red bell pepper, and Italian parsley.
> Dressing poured over, and tossed. It's better the next day!

That would be wonderful!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
> sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186. Four
> hour 159. ;-(
>
> Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One with
> spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito. Three tablespoons of
> coleslaw. Next time, one dim sum and no coleslaw. I was gonna have steak
> for dinner. I guess I'll skip it and have it tomorrow instead of that
> other
> 'stuff'. Or just commit seppuku.
>
> *Japanese cole slaw Haiku
>
> Cabbage head, solo,
> or tangled up with spirals
> of blushing carrot.

I can not do Japanese coleslaw. I think it has a ton of sugar in it or
something.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 May 2008 08:32:51 +0100, Nicky
> > wrote:
>
>>On 05 May 2008 07:15:59 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Cabbage head, solo,
>>>or tangled up with spirals
>>>of blushing carrot.

>>Dim sum with sweet sauce
>>poor food for diabetics
>>coleslaw with sugar?

> An American thing. Surprised me too when I was there. I had
> forgotten what KFC coleslaw, my only previous experience of
> US-style slaw sauce, did to my BGs when I was first testing.

We have many different kinds of coleslaw and it's not always sweet. But most
of it is.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
>> sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186. Four
>> hour 159. ;-(
>>
>> Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One with
>> spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito. Three tablespoons of
>> coleslaw. Next time, one dim sum and no coleslaw. I was gonna have steak
>> for dinner. I guess I'll skip it and have it tomorrow instead of that
>> other
>> 'stuff'. Or just commit seppuku.
>>
>> *Japanese cole slaw Haiku
>>
>> Cabbage head, solo,
>> or tangled up with spirals
>> of blushing carrot.

> The coleslaw would probably be fine if subbed the sugar in the dressing
> with splenda. The culprit was the dim sum, I personally would not be
> having even one.

That doesn't always work. I have tried that many times and it often has a
bad, bitter aftertaste. Something with the Splenda reacting with the
cabbage I think.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?).
> > The sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour
> > 186. Four hour 159. ;-(
> >
> > Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One
> > with spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito. Three
> > tablespoons of coleslaw. Next time, one dim sum and no coleslaw. I was
> > gonna have steak for dinner. I guess I'll skip it and have it tomorrow
> > instead of that other
> > 'stuff'. Or just commit seppuku.

> I can not do Japanese coleslaw. I think it has a ton of sugar in it or
> something.

It's the damned sauce, Julie! Google on 'Traditional Sunomono recipe' for
some good ideas.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> FBG 88. Had a snack of dim sum and Japanese cole slaw* (Sunomono?). The
> sauces were sweet. One hour PP BG 158. Two hour 240! Three hour 186. Four
> hour 159. ;-(
>
> Well, I thought I had exercised portion control. Three dim sum. One with
> spinach filling, one Mung beans and one incognito.

It's not the filling that gets you. :-(

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: > "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
: []
: > The coleslaw would probably be fine if subbed the sugar in the dressing
: > with splenda. The culprit was the dim sum, I personally would not be
: > having even one.

: I also have this, which I haven't tried yet, from another cyberfriend:

: Cole Slaw, Becky's

: There really are no set measurements in this recipe, though. I start with
: about a cup of Hellman's mayo, add enough apple cider vinegar to make it
: very creamy when whisked (maybe between 1/4-1/3 cup), dry mustard, celery
: seed, Tabasco, and a bit of Splenda (or sugar, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or more).
: Then it's just shredded cabbage, red bell pepper, and Italian parsley.
: Dressing poured over, and tossed. It's better the next day!

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
: I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War. They
: are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
: forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Here's a quick ad dirty easy fake Asian coleslaw. shred cabbage and
onions or scallions(or both). dress with some soy sauce, sesame oil,
grated or ( remember I said quick and dirty) powdered ginger, FGBP, mix
and eat. Very low carb.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> : > "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> : [ . . . ]
> Here's a quick ad dirty easy fake Asian coleslaw. shred cabbage and
> onions or scallions(or both). dress with some soy sauce, sesame oil,
> grated or ( remember I said quick and dirty) powdered ginger, FGBP, mix
> and eat. Very low carb.

Thanks, Wendy. We always have fresh ginger here, as well as all the other
stuff. I'll suggest it to Jun (heh heh heh), although I know she won't
leave it at that. ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

coleslaw KROM Diabetic 9 20-09-2011 12:02 AM
Better Coleslaw Dane Beko General Cooking 1 28-01-2008 10:45 PM
KFC Coleslaw Mr. C Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2007 03:45 PM
KFC Coleslaw Marita Blessing Recipes (moderated) 0 14-10-2006 01:56 AM
ko- Nabisco Snack Well's Banana Snack Bars ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 13-11-2004 04:14 PM