Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Valentine's Day Menus?

For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things are
you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that aren't
outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc. I'm
thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
suggestions?

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things are
> you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that aren't
> outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
> taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc. I'm
> thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
> suggestions?
>
> --
> Cheri

i like the sauces that Sharwood's makes

tonight, we are having butter chicken......... take a couple of chicken
breasts and dice them up, pan fry them, add the sauce and let them
simmer for 90 min...... voila dinner (well, i add green beans and
basmati rice to it)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily wrote in message >...
>Cheri wrote:
>> For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things

are
>> you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that

aren't
>> outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
>> taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc.

I'm
>> thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Cheri
>>

>i like the sauces that Sharwood's makes
>
>tonight, we are having butter chicken......... take a couple of

chicken
>breasts and dice them up, pan fry them, add the sauce and let them
>simmer for 90 min...... voila dinner (well, i add green beans and
>basmati rice to it)

Sharwoods? I don't think I've seen those sauces in the store, what
flavors are they? The dinner sounds good.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
. ..
> For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things are
> you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that aren't
> outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
> taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc. I'm
> thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
> suggestions?

I'm doing tuna casserole. Nothing special but I'll be getting mushrooms in
my produce box. No dessert for us.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things are
> you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that aren't
> outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
> taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc. I'm
> thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
> suggestions?
>
> --
> Cheri

We're having chicken soup. We are both down with an upper respiratory
thingie. DH has been really sick. BGs dropping all over the place. I'm
up all night monitoring him. Had Paramedics twice last weekend because
he had taken sleeping pills and I couldn't wake him. Hate to use the
glucogon gun. I'm so scared of needles, but I did anyway.

No more sleeping pills allowed!! Now he or I catch the lows and feed
them. Endo reduced pump numbers by half and we are still seeing drops.
If he was feeling well and the antibiotics weren't killing tastebuds,
I'd order him a pizza :-).

I've got plenty of juice, milk, glucose tablets, gel, some jelly beans
and another glucogon gun which I hope not to have to use. I also bought
some regular soda which seems to work well since it's almost all
rapid-acting carbs.

We were supposed to go to a party tomorrow and I was going to make a
ricotta cheese cake (no crust). Oh well, I'm just glad he's around and I
can move fast enough to help him.

Happy Valentine's Day.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> Tiger_Lily wrote in message >...
>> Cheri wrote:
>>> For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things

> are
>>> you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that

> aren't
>>> outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
>>> taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc.

> I'm
>>> thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> i like the sauces that Sharwood's makes
>>
>> tonight, we are having butter chicken......... take a couple of

> chicken
>> breasts and dice them up, pan fry them, add the sauce and let them
>> simmer for 90 min...... voila dinner (well, i add green beans and
>> basmati rice to it)

> Sharwoods? I don't think I've seen those sauces in the store, what
> flavors are they? The dinner sounds good.
>
> Cheri

tikki masala
butter chicken
rogan josh
mild curry
there are others, i can't remember them right now

i usually make sure i have one of each flavour on hand so i can pick and
choose

there are other makers of India sauces that are good too (now to
remember them.......... sigh)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote in message

>We're having chicken soup. We are both down with an upper respiratory
>thingie. DH has been really sick. BGs dropping all over the place.

I'm
>up all night monitoring him. Had Paramedics twice last weekend

because
>he had taken sleeping pills and I couldn't wake him. Hate to use the
>glucogon gun. I'm so scared of needles, but I did anyway.

Janet, I'm sorry that your DH has been so sick. Take care, and good
for you using the gluco gun. I know you're scared of needles, so I'm
glad you were able to do it. Take care.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote in message >...

>I haven't planned it, since we were planning to eat out til I got

this
>miserable URI. :-( At the very least, I'll be making some low

carb
>chocolate peanut butter treat for my sweetie.
>
>You should make my shrimp, feta and kalamata olive dish over a huge

bed
>of sauteed spinach. It's easy, quick and looks very beautiful

plated.

>And a boule de neige, maybe, with xylitol or a combination of

sweeteners.

>The prep for the shrimp dish is about 10 minutes, all into one dish,
>then baked.
>
>The original recipe is at mtvikos.com, under recipes for their barrel
>aged feta, and I used larger shrimp because I don't like little ones;

>use jumbo, or sometimes large, and I use a lb from a bag of uncooked,

ez
>peel shrimp:
>
>Shrimp, Tomatoes & Barrel Aged Feta
>This savory and delicious dish can be served as a hearty appetizer or

as
>a topping for pasta.
>
>10 oz. Shrimp, peeled and deveined, medium size
>6 oz. Mt. Vikos Barrel Aged Feta, crumbled
>2 Fresh tomatoes, medium, cut into large chunks (I use over half a
>container of campari tomatoes from Sunset, at Costco)
>1/4 cup Pitted kalamata olives
>3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
>3 tbsp Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped fine
>2 cloves Fresh garlic, chopped
>1 tsp Oregano, dried
>1/2 tsp Salt
>1/2 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
>
>Mix all the ingredients and place in a small baking casserole.

Preheat
>oven, bake uncovered at 350 F. for 30-35 minutes. Serve immediately.
>Serves 6 as appetizer, serves 4 with pasta.

Thanks Susan, that sounds really good and easy. I hope you're feeling
better soon.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks Kate, I'll look for them.

Cheri

Tiger_Lily wrote in message

>tikki masala
>butter chicken
>rogan josh
>mild curry
>there are others, i can't remember them right now
>
>i usually make sure i have one of each flavour on hand so i can pick

and
>choose
>
>there are other makers of India sauces that are good too (now to
>remember them.......... sigh)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We are having burritos tonight One of the quickest meals there is Low
carb wrap for me.

For "dessert" I made choc chip muffins.

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
. ..
> For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things are
> you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that aren't
> outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
> taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc. I'm
> thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
> suggestions?
>
> --
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> Tiger_Lily wrote in message >...

>> are

>> aren't

>> I'm

>>> i like the sauces that Sharwood's makes
>>>
>>> tonight, we are having butter chicken......... take a couple of

>> chicken
>>> breasts and dice them up, pan fry them, add the sauce and let them
>>> simmer for 90 min...... voila dinner (well, i add green beans and
>>> basmati rice to it)

>> Sharwoods? I don't think I've seen those sauces in the store, what
>> flavors are they? The dinner sounds good.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> tikki masala
> butter chicken
> rogan josh
> mild curry
> there are others, i can't remember them right now
>
> i usually make sure i have one of each flavour on hand so i can pick and
> choose
>
> there are other makers of India sauces that are good too (now to remember
> them.......... sigh)

Pataks or similar?

The Sharwood tiki masala is very good, I prefer that to the butter chicken.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Have crab legs and butter and a veggie side and make that chocolate heaven
pie for dessert

KROM

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
. ..
> For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things are
> you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that aren't
> outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
> taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc. I'm
> thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
> suggestions?
>
> --
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:19:28 -0600, "krom"
> wrote:

>Have crab legs and butter and a veggie side and make that chocolate heaven
>pie for dessert

Mmmmm - that would get my vote!

Can't remember what we're having for supper, but I brought him back an
"I love you" plaque of Belgian chocolate from our pre-Christmas trip,
and then very stupidly left it too near a radiator last night and
melted half of it

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:49:47 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>We're having chicken soup. We are both down with an upper respiratory
>thingie. DH has been really sick. BGs dropping all over the place. I'm
>up all night monitoring him. Had Paramedics twice last weekend because
>he had taken sleeping pills and I couldn't wake him. Hate to use the
>glucogon gun. I'm so scared of needles, but I did anyway.

Yuk! Get well soon, the pair of you!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Melted chocolates still yummy..lol

KROM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:19:28 -0600, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
>>Have crab legs and butter and a veggie side and make that chocolate heaven
>>pie for dessert

> Mmmmm - that would get my vote!
>
> Can't remember what we're having for supper, but I brought him back an
> "I love you" plaque of Belgian chocolate from our pre-Christmas trip,
> and then very stupidly left it too near a radiator last night and
> melted half of it
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:
>>> are
>>> aren't
>>> I'm

>>> chicken
>>> Sharwoods? I don't think I've seen those sauces in the store, what
>>> flavors are they? The dinner sounds good.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> tikki masala
>> butter chicken
>> rogan josh
>> mild curry
>> there are others, i can't remember them right now
>>
>> i usually make sure i have one of each flavour on hand so i can pick and
>> choose
>>
>> there are other makers of India sauces that are good too (now to remember
>> them.......... sigh)

> Pataks or similar?
>
> The Sharwood tiki masala is very good, I prefer that to the butter chicken.

yes, Patak is who i couldn't remember, they make good sauces as well
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Have crab legs and butter and a veggie side and make that chocolate heaven
> pie for dessert
>
> KROM

Same here without the chocolate heaven, may have a small piece of chocolate
later. :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We had Oven BBQ Brisket with baked potatoes and pinto beans....I had a
little of each.
Hubby brought me home some Godiva choc covered strawberries. Hoping I can
eat one without a big spike.
Jacquie
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
. ..
For the people that aren't going out to eat, what special things are
you making for dinner on Vday? I'd like to get a few ideas that aren't
outrageous with the carbs, aren't terribly tedious to prepare, and
taste good. I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken, steak, etc. I'm
thinking of a main dish, a side dish, and simple dessert. Any
suggestions?

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

jacquie wrote in message >...
>We had Oven BBQ Brisket with baked potatoes and pinto beans....I had

>little of each.
>Hubby brought me home some Godiva choc covered strawberries. Hoping I

can
>eat one without a big spike.

Sounds good jacquie. A little of each is the key. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I figure 1 a day..that way they last longer..

Menus ImStillMags General Cooking 36 16-09-2011 08:05 PM
Proofreading Menus merryb General Cooking 23 23-10-2010 07:30 PM
Pre-Valentine's Day Party! Come Find Your Valentine New York! LeeAnne General 0 04-02-2007 04:10 PM
Picnic menus Bob General Cooking 4 29-06-2004 02:39 PM
Munster Menus..... Gregory Morrow General Cooking 4 28-06-2004 04:35 PM