Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I couldn't do it.

Was going to eat a whole can of black eyed peas. I figured what the heck!
I can't get my BG down no matter what I do, so it won't matter what I eat.
Got it down to 144 before bed last night but woke up to 268. Grrr...

But my stomach just couldn't take it. A whole can is apparently quite a few
too many black eyed peas for me. I did get Angela to eat one of them. She
didn't like it though. Not sure why. She likes all other kinds of beans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove said...

> Was going to eat a whole can of black eyed peas. I figured what the
> heck! I can't get my BG down no matter what I do, so it won't matter
> what I eat. Got it down to 144 before bed last night but woke up to 268.
> Grrr...
>
> But my stomach just couldn't take it. A whole can is apparently quite a
> few too many black eyed peas for me. I did get Angela to eat one of
> them. She didn't like it though. Not sure why. She likes all other
> kinds of beans.

Julie,

A whole can is more than one serving. My Eden organic black beans recommend
two servings of 130g (cup) each.

My organic low-salt black beans only had turtle (??) black beans, water and
some kind of seaweed as ingredients. No sugar and 15g sodium per serving.

Yours probably had lots of other processed crap in it so you obviously
double-dosed on all that extra crud!

I did check Eden's Organic website to compare my nutrition label to theirs
but they don't make my version anymore. Now it's either Soy or Caribbean
black beans with quite different nutrient values. The BUMS!!!

Andy

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

<q> wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove said...
>
>> Was going to eat a whole can of black eyed peas. I figured what the
>> heck! I can't get my BG down no matter what I do, so it won't matter
>> what I eat. Got it down to 144 before bed last night but woke up to 268.
>> Grrr...
>>
>> But my stomach just couldn't take it. A whole can is apparently quite a
>> few too many black eyed peas for me. I did get Angela to eat one of
>> them. She didn't like it though. Not sure why. She likes all other
>> kinds of beans.

> Julie,
>
> A whole can is more than one serving. My Eden organic black beans
> recommend
> two servings of 130g (cup) each.

I know that. I generally eat three servings of carb per meal. This was 3.5
servings, but I really didn't care given that my BG was through the roof to
start with.

> My organic low-salt black beans only had turtle (??) black beans, water
> and
> some kind of seaweed as ingredients. No sugar and 15g sodium per serving.
>
> Yours probably had lots of other processed crap in it so you obviously
> double-dosed on all that extra crud!

Nope. Just salt. I'm not on a low salt diet.

> I did check Eden's Organic website to compare my nutrition label to theirs
> but they don't make my version anymore. Now it's either Soy or Caribbean
> black beans with quite different nutrient values. The BUMS!!!

I can't eat soy. Messes with my thyroid.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> <q> wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove said...
> > [ . . . ]
> > I did check Eden's Organic website to compare my nutrition label to
> > theirs but they don't make my version anymore. Now it's either Soy or
> > Caribbean black beans with quite different nutrient values. The BUMS!!!

> I can't eat soy. Messes with my thyroid.

Nick’s Black Beans, Cuban-Style (Habichuelas [o Frijoles] Negras)

Ingredients:

1 pound (2˝ cups) dry black beans
4 cups each water and chicken broth
12 cloves to 1 head of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
Up to 4 fresh Serrano, Thai or Habanero peppers, stemmed
and crushed
1/4 cup EVOO
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 or 2 teaspoons Oregano
2 or 3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon of ginger [optional]
1/2 pound salt pork or bacon, chopped
2 pounds smoked ham hocks, or two ‘patitas de puerco’
(pig’s feet), quartered
2 tablespoons lime juice or vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Marsala wine (the alcohol will boil off)

Procedu

Rinse the beans in cold water and remove any pebbles. Some people
soak the beans overnight, I never do. In separate bowls, prepare
the garlic, onion and pepper, dry seasonings. Heat a large
stainless steel pot over medium heat. Add the oil, then the garlic.
When the garlic just starts to brown slightly, add the onion and
Serrano peppers and turn the heat to high. Stir-fry for a few
minutes ‘til the onion just start to turn translucent. Add the dry
seasoning, give it a quick stir, then add the water and remaining
ingredients, except salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a high simmer or VERY slow
boil. Cover and let cook several hours ‘til the beans are soft and
the meat is falling off the bones, scraping the bottom occasionally
(I do it during commercial breaks) to prevent sticking. Using
something like a potato masher, crush enough of the beans to
thicken the broth if you want. Continue cooking, uncovered, ‘til
the broth has reduced to the desired consistency. Salt and pepper
to taste. Serve over (Cristianos y Moros) or with steamed rice. (I
can't do that, anymore)

ENJOY!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Couldn't believe it.... Evelyn Diabetic 7 01-10-2009 06:49 PM
I couldn't do it! Julie Bove Diabetic 0 15-11-2008 04:16 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes!!! Andy[_2_] General Cooking 6 28-05-2007 08:06 PM
[OT] I am sorry - I couldn't help myself ! st.helier Wine 6 06-10-2004 05:21 AM
I couldn't wait . . . had to Q! Kevin Craig Barbecue 1 22-08-2004 03:39 AM