Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Bitter Melon Soup dinner

FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The chicken
bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth, which was
quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som Tam). VERY
spicy. One hour postprandial BG 96. Not that hungry. I didn't really eat
much.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The chicken
> bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth, which was
> quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som Tam). VERY
> spicy. One hour postprandial BG 96. Not that hungry. I didn't really eat
> much.

Does bitter melon really taste bitter? I take the pills on occasion but
never had a real live one.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>
> > FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The
> > chicken bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth,
> > which was quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som
> > Tam). VERY spicy. One hour postprandial BG 96. Not that hungry. I
> > didn't really eat much.

> Does bitter melon really taste bitter? I take the pills on occasion but
> never had a real live one.

Not to me. You should be able to find it in a Thai/Asian market. Jun cuts
out the seed core before using them. Try them in a veggie or chicken soup.
She also thin slices and dries them to make me a morning tea. Quite nice,
sitting on the front porch, looking at the mountains and drinking a cup of
bitter melon tea. ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The chicken
> bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth, which was
> quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som Tam). VERY
> spicy.

What is in the salad? I am not overly fond of papaya, I would probably use
mango.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>
>> > FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The
>> > chicken bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth,
>> > which was quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som
>> > Tam). VERY spicy. One hour postprandial BG 96. Not that hungry. I
>> > didn't really eat much.

>> Does bitter melon really taste bitter? I take the pills on occasion but
>> never had a real live one.

> Not to me. You should be able to find it in a Thai/Asian market. Jun cuts
> out the seed core before using them. Try them in a veggie or chicken soup.
> She also thin slices and dries them to make me a morning tea. Quite nice,
> sitting on the front porch, looking at the mountains and drinking a cup of
> bitter melon tea. ;-)

Don't know of any Thai/Asian markets around here but they might have them at
Central Market. I will look.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>
> > FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The
> > chicken bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth,
> > which was quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som
> > Tam). VERY spicy.

> What is in the salad? I am not overly fond of papaya, I would probably
> use mango.

Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad) Serves 4 to 6.

Ingredients

½ lb dried shrimp

2 lbs green (unripe) papayas
1/4 lb green beans
1 tomato

1/4 cup ground roasted unsalted peanuts (a little larger than grains of
sand)

½ cup Lime Salad Dressing (see below)
Green lettuce leaves

1. Place the dried shrimp in a sieve and rinse them thoroughly with hot,
running water. Set them aside to drain in the sieve.

2. Peel and seed the papayas and shred them into long julienne strips.
Slice the green beans lengthwise into thin strips. Slice the tomato
vertically into very thin slices. Place these ingredients in a mortar or
whatever and pound them with a pestle or large wooden spoon to soften them,
so they'll absorb the flavor of the dressing more easily.

3. Grind the re-constituted shrimp in a blender or food processor to a
powder and set aside.

4. When you're ready to serve, add the shrimp and peanuts to the salad and
toss with the Lime Salad Dressing.

5. Put a single layer of lettuce leaves on a serving bowl and arrange the
salad on top.

Lime Salad Dressing (Nam Som Tam) Makes about 1-1/4 cups

Ingredients

4 Serrano chiles or the fire of your choice
2 tsp (4 cloves) finely chopped garlic

½ cup fish sauce (nam pla)
½ cup lime juice
1/4 cup + 1 Tbs granulated sugar or Splenda

1. Remove the stems, but not the seeds, from the chiles, and chop the
chiles finely. Pound the chiles and the garlic to a smooth paste in a
mortar.

2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir 'til the sugar or Splenda is
dissolved.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> []
> >> Does bitter melon really taste bitter? I take the pills on occasion
> >> but never had a real live one.

> > Not to me. You should be able to find it in a Thai/Asian market.[]

> Don't know of any Thai/Asian markets around here but they might have them
> at Central Market. I will look.

Generally speaking, Julie, in what part of the world do you reside?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>
>> > FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The
>> > chicken bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth,
>> > which was quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som
>> > Tam). VERY spicy.

>> What is in the salad? I am not overly fond of papaya, I would probably
>> use mango.

> Som Tam (Green Papaya Salad) Serves 4 to 6.
>
> Ingredients
>
> ½ lb dried shrimp
>
> 2 lbs green (unripe) papayas
> 1/4 lb green beans
> 1 tomato
>
> 1/4 cup ground roasted unsalted peanuts (a little larger than grains of
> sand)
>
> ½ cup Lime Salad Dressing (see below)
> Green lettuce leaves
>
> 1. Place the dried shrimp in a sieve and rinse them thoroughly with hot,
> running water. Set them aside to drain in the sieve.
>
> 2. Peel and seed the papayas and shred them into long julienne strips.
> Slice the green beans lengthwise into thin strips. Slice the tomato
> vertically into very thin slices. Place these ingredients in a mortar or
> whatever and pound them with a pestle or large wooden spoon to soften
> them,
> so they'll absorb the flavor of the dressing more easily.
>
> 3. Grind the re-constituted shrimp in a blender or food processor to a
> powder and set aside.
>
> 4. When you're ready to serve, add the shrimp and peanuts to the salad and
> toss with the Lime Salad Dressing.
>
> 5. Put a single layer of lettuce leaves on a serving bowl and arrange the
> salad on top.
>
> Lime Salad Dressing (Nam Som Tam) Makes about 1-1/4 cups
>
> Ingredients
>
> 4 Serrano chiles or the fire of your choice
> 2 tsp (4 cloves) finely chopped garlic
>
> ½ cup fish sauce (nam pla)
> ½ cup lime juice
> 1/4 cup + 1 Tbs granulated sugar or Splenda
>
> 1. Remove the stems, but not the seeds, from the chiles, and chop the
> chiles finely. Pound the chiles and the garlic to a smooth paste in a
> mortar.
>
> 2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir 'til the sugar or Splenda is
> dissolved.

Sounds delicious and fiery!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> >
>> > Not to me. You should be able to find it in a Thai/Asian market.[]

>> Don't know of any Thai/Asian markets around here but they might have them
>> at Central Market. I will look.

> Generally speaking, Julie, in what part of the world do you reside?

WA state. Somewhat near Seattle. Now Seattle has an International District
but I never get out that way. Here in Bothell, we seem to have more
Mexicans than Asians.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>>> Don't know of any Thai/Asian markets around here but they might have
>>> them
>>> at Central Market. I will look.

>> Generally speaking, Julie, in what part of the world do you reside?

> WA state. Somewhat near Seattle. Now Seattle has an International
> District but I never get out that way. Here in Bothell, we seem to have
> more Mexicans than Asians.

Aren't you in New York?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Generally speaking, Julie, in what part of the world do you reside?

>> WA state. Somewhat near Seattle. Now Seattle has an International
>> District but I never get out that way. Here in Bothell, we seem to have
>> more Mexicans than Asians.

> Aren't you in New York?

No. We moved from there over 3 years ago.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> WA state. Somewhat near Seattle. Now Seattle has an International
>>> District but I never get out that way. Here in Bothell, we seem to have
>>> more Mexicans than Asians.

>> Aren't you in New York?

> No. We moved from there over 3 years ago.

Well I'll be damned, doesn't time fly

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> Don't know of any Thai/Asian markets around here but they might have
> >> them at Central Market. I will look.

> > Generally speaking, Julie, in what part of the world do you reside?

> WA state. Somewhat near Seattle. Now Seattle has an International
> District but I never get out that way. Here in Bothell, we seem to have
> more Mexicans than Asians.

20 or 30 miles to Seattle, eh? How about Kirkland?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 31 Dec 2007 07:13:51 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The chicken
>bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth, which was
>quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som Tam). VERY
>spicy. One hour postprandial BG 96. Not that hungry. I didn't really eat
>much.

Nick, all I've been able to get recently is some dried bitter melon -
with instructions in Korean, I think - do you have any hints on using
it?

I'm an enthusiastic bitter melon pickler when I can get it fresh...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> I'm an enthusiastic bitter melon pickler when I can get it fresh...

Oooh! Recipe? I'm getting into making pickles, and the big Asian
market near work often has bitter melon. (Also winter melon which I've
made soup of, with ham.)

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2007 07:13:51 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >FBG 86. Dinner was Bitter melon soup with chicken and garlic. The
> >chicken bones were cut in half, releasing the marrow into the broth,
> >which was quite rich and tasty. Side dish was Thai Papaya Salad (Som
> >Tam). VERY spicy. One hour postprandial BG 96. Not that hungry. I didn't
> >really eat much.

> Nick, all I've been able to get recently is some dried bitter melon -
> with instructions in Korean, I think - do you have any hints on using
> it?
>
> I'm an enthusiastic bitter melon pickler when I can get it fresh...

Jun dries thin slices of the fresh and makes a morning tea for me. If
they're bigger chunks, you might try reconstituting them in enough warm
water to cover, then using in a soup, although we haven't tried that. Fresh
are always available in the LA area.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Generally speaking, Julie, in what part of the world do you reside?

>> WA state. Somewhat near Seattle. Now Seattle has an International
>> District but I never get out that way. Here in Bothell, we seem to have
>> more Mexicans than Asians.

> 20 or 30 miles to Seattle, eh? How about Kirkland?

I doubt there are any Asian markets in Kirkland, or much of anything else...
But I could be wrong.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > 20 or 30 miles to Seattle, eh? How about Kirkland?

> I doubt there are any Asian markets in Kirkland, or much of anything
> else... But I could be wrong.

Well, I hope you find some. They seem to help with BG. I've just posted
another meal description, Subject: Rice Noodle & Bitter Melon dinner. As
usual, my food pics are posted on alt.binaries.food.

Happy New Year to you, Angela and DH. Go easy on the bubbly!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> > 20 or 30 miles to Seattle, eh? How about Kirkland?

>> I doubt there are any Asian markets in Kirkland, or much of anything
>> else... But I could be wrong.

> Well, I hope you find some. They seem to help with BG. I've just posted
> another meal description, Subject: Rice Noodle & Bitter Melon dinner. As
> usual, my food pics are posted on alt.binaries.food.
>
> Happy New Year to you, Angela and DH. Go easy on the bubbly!

Now that I think about it, there are a couple of Asian markets near my
parent's house. One of them is strictly produce.

No bubbly for me. Can't have any alcohol ever. Angela has a small
bottle of sparkling cider.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:34:24 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Nicky > wrote:
>
>> I'm an enthusiastic bitter melon pickler when I can get it fresh...

>Oooh! Recipe? I'm getting into making pickles, and the big Asian
>market near work often has bitter melon. (Also winter melon which I've
>made soup of, with ham.)

I use the one here, Priscilla - without the jaggery or asafoedita;
http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/karela.html

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:34:24 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Nicky > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm an enthusiastic bitter melon pickler when I can get it fresh...

> >Oooh! Recipe? I'm getting into making pickles, and the big Asian
> >market near work often has bitter melon. (Also winter melon which I've
> >made soup of, with ham.)

> I use the one here, Priscilla - without the jaggery or asafoedita;
> http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/karela.html

I've never heard of jaggery. I'll have to look it up. Asafoedita I
know, and I think I even have some in my spice cupboard.

The recipe looks too hot for me, and I'd make some adjustments. I've
never made dry pickle before, so it'll be interesting.

Thanks!

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:56:14 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>I've never heard of jaggery. I'll have to look it up.

Palm sugar.

>The recipe looks too hot for me, and I'd make some adjustments. I've
>never made dry pickle before, so it'll be interesting.

Very tasty!

I just had a successful experiment for supper tonight with the dried
bitter melon I have to hand; I soaked it, then braised it with some
aubergine in a bit of the soaking water until soft. I finished it with
a tablespoon of yoghurt and seasoning, and served it alongside a Thai
green curry with chicken. Yum : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:56:14 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> []
> I just had a successful experiment for supper tonight with the dried
> bitter melon I have to hand; I soaked it, then braised it with some
> aubergine in a bit of the soaking water until soft. I finished it with
> a tablespoon of yoghurt and seasoning, and served it alongside a Thai
> green curry with chicken. Yum : )

It sounds yummy, too, Nicky! Thai green curry (Gaeng Ki Warn) is one of my
favorites. Recipes are only starting places to spark your imagination, eh?
I hadn't thought of eggplant and bitter melon. That's a must try. Thanks.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~