FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bread Recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/142243-bread-recipe.html)

Homer HawgSnott 04-12-2007 04:27 AM

Bread Recipe?

Does anyone have a recipe for home made low carb bread? I have an electric
bread maker but no recipes for bread that I can eat.

Thanks,
JohnS

Nicky 04-12-2007 08:32 AM

Bread Recipe?

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 04:27:04 GMT, Homer HawgSnott
> wrote:

>Does anyone have a recipe for home made low carb bread? I have an electric
>bread maker but no recipes for bread that I can eat.

There's lots around. Does that email addy work? Here's something to be
getting on with.

Nicky.

Myra’s Bread Machine Bread

If you don't mind the soy flour, here's the list of ingredient to add
to the bread machine:

3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon butter or oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 teaspoon sugar (needed for the yeast)
2 teaspoons or 1 package rapid rise yeast

White cycle, regular crust, small loaf (but use the extender, if you
have one, because this really rises well).

(Nicky's note; it works well with buckwheat instead of the soy)

Myra[_2_] 04-12-2007 03:39 PM

Bread Recipe?

On Dec 4, 12:32 am, Nicky > wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 04:27:04 GMT, Homer HawgSnott
>
> > wrote:
> >Does anyone have a recipe for home made low carb bread? I have an electric
> >bread maker but no recipes for bread that I can eat.

> There's lots around. Does that email addy work? Here's something to be
> getting on with.
>
> Nicky.

> Myra's Bread Machine Bread
>
> If you don't mind the soy flour, here's the list of ingredient to add
> to the bread machine:
>
> 3/4 cup lukewarm water
> 1 tablespoon butter or oil
> 1 egg, slightly beaten
> 1 cup vital wheat gluten
> 1/2 cup soy flour
> 1/2 cup oat flour
> 1 teaspoon sugar (needed for the yeast)
> 2 teaspoons or 1 package rapid rise yeast
>
> White cycle, regular crust, small loaf (but use the extender, if you
> have one, because this really rises well).
>
> (Nicky's note; it works well with buckwheat instead of the soy)

*Anything* works better than soy flour! I no longer use it - nasty,
nasty stuff.

Myra

Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley 05-12-2007 02:56 PM

Bread Recipe?

How about low carb flour, such as http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbalose_page.html
?

Myra[_2_] 05-12-2007 08:02 PM

Bread Recipe?

On Dec 5, 6:56 am, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley >
wrote:
> On Dec 4, 8:39 am, Myra > wrote:
>
> > *Anything* works better than soy flour! I no longer use it - nasty,
> > nasty stuff.

> How about low carb flour, such ashttp://www.netrition.com/tova_carbalose_page.html
> ?

Well, for myself , I no longer use any grains. If you like it,
though, I wouldn't say to not use it.

I'm not crazy about the labeling, which gives the total package in
pounds, but servings in grams, which can confuse a lot of people. So,
let's see how it comes out.

Looking at the label, there are 19 grams of carbs per 100 grams, so
it's 19% carbs. A cup of flour is about 120 grams (see
www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm), so, at 19% carbs, a cup of
Carbalose has about 23 grams of carbs. If you're making a regular
loaf of bread in a machine, that's about 3 cups of flour for 12
servings, which comes out to 5.75 carbs per serving - not including
any other ingredients. It's certainly something a person could work
into a low carb program, as long as grains don't pose a problem.

Myra

Cheri 05-12-2007 08:07 PM

Bread Recipe?

Myra wrote in message
>On Dec 5, 6:56 am, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley >
>wrote:
>> On Dec 4, 8:39 am, Myra > wrote:
>>
>> > *Anything* works better than soy flour! I no longer use it -

nasty,
>> > nasty stuff.

>> How about low carb flour, such

ashttp://www.netrition.com/tova_carbalose_page.html
>> ?

>Well, for myself , I no longer use any grains. If you like it,
>though, I wouldn't say to not use it.
>
>I'm not crazy about the labeling, which gives the total package in
>pounds, but servings in grams, which can confuse a lot of people.

So,
>let's see how it comes out.

It was confusing to me.

Cheri

Janet Wilder[_1_] 05-12-2007 08:27 PM

Bread Recipe?

Myra wrote:
> On Dec 5, 6:56 am, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley >
> wrote:
>> On Dec 4, 8:39 am, Myra > wrote:
>>
>>> *Anything* works better than soy flour! I no longer use it - nasty,
>>> nasty stuff.

>> How about low carb flour, such ashttp://www.netrition.com/tova_carbalose_page.html
>> ?

> Well, for myself , I no longer use any grains. If you like it,
> though, I wouldn't say to not use it.
>
> I'm not crazy about the labeling, which gives the total package in
> pounds, but servings in grams, which can confuse a lot of people. So,
> let's see how it comes out.
>
> Looking at the label, there are 19 grams of carbs per 100 grams, so
> it's 19% carbs. A cup of flour is about 120 grams (see
> www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm), so, at 19% carbs, a cup of
> Carbalose has about 23 grams of carbs. If you're making a regular
> loaf of bread in a machine, that's about 3 cups of flour for 12
> servings, which comes out to 5.75 carbs per serving - not including
> any other ingredients. It's certainly something a person could work
> into a low carb program, as long as grains don't pose a problem.
>
> Myra

We use Nature's Own Light Wheat bread. 2 slices have a net of 14 g
carbohydrate (19 grams less 5 grams of fiber) The taste is acceptable
and it toasts well. I have often used the ends for fresh bread crumbs, too.

www.naturesownbread.com

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Homer[_2_] 06-12-2007 12:19 AM

Bread Recipe?

Homer HawgSnott > wrote in
.130:

> Does anyone have a recipe for home made low carb bread? I have an
> electric bread maker but no recipes for bread that I can eat.
>
> Thanks,
> JohnS

Thanks for all the tips. What a bitch getting diagnosed with type II just
before the holidays! Better than a lot of stuff a guy could get
though..;-]

JohnS

Cheri 06-12-2007 12:46 AM

Bread Recipe?

Homer wrote in message ...

>Thanks for all the tips. What a bitch getting diagnosed with type II

just
>before the holidays! Better than a lot of stuff a guy could get
>though..;-]
>
>JohnS

True, but look at it this way, by next year at this time, it'll be
second nature to you, and you'll be whipping out those diabetic
friendly recipes like an old pro. :-) Happy Holidays.

Cheri

Cheri

Myra[_2_] 06-12-2007 03:51 AM

Bread Recipe?

On Dec 5, 12:07 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

> It was confusing to me.

Sorry it was confusing!

Myra

Cheri 06-12-2007 10:10 AM

Bread Recipe?

Myra wrote in message ...
>On Dec 5, 12:07 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
>
>> It was confusing to me.

>Sorry it was confusing!
>
>Myra

No, Myra, not what you said was not at all confusing to me..what was
confusing to me was the carbolose or carb quik nutritional information
in grams, and pounds. All I ever wanted to know was what was the carb
count of 1/4 cup. :-)

Cheri

Myra[_2_] 06-12-2007 08:35 PM

Bread Recipe?

On Dec 6, 2:10 am, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
> Myra wrote in message ...
> >On Dec 5, 12:07 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

> >> It was confusing to me.

> >Sorry it was confusing!

> >Myra

> No, Myra, not what you said was not at all confusing to me..what was
> confusing to me was the carbolose or carb quik nutritional information
> in grams, and pounds. All I ever wanted to know was what was the carb
> count of 1/4 cup. :-)
>
> Cheri

Ah - all is clear now! And it's 5.75 carbs in 1/4 cup. :)

Myra

Cheri 06-12-2007 09:04 PM

Bread Recipe?

Myra wrote in message ...
>On Dec 6, 2:10 am, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
>> Myra wrote in message ...

>> >Sorry it was confusing!

>> >Myra

>> No, Myra, not what you said was not at all confusing to me..what

was
>> confusing to me was the carbolose or carb quik nutritional

information
>> in grams, and pounds. All I ever wanted to know was what was the

carb
>> count of 1/4 cup. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

>Ah - all is clear now! And it's 5.75 carbs in 1/4 cup. :)
>
>Myra

Thank you. :-)

Cheri