FoodBanter.com

-   -   Buying low carb foods online?? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/14041-buying-low-carb-foods.html)

Mike Shmayer 24-06-2004 02:58 AM

Buying low carb foods online??

Has anyone successfully tried any of the low carb foods that are sold
online? I live in a small town, and can't find very many products
locally. One place that caught my eye was www.nosugardaddy.com .. has
anyone tried this place, or can recommend another online vendor to
look into?

Thanks

JC Der Koenig 24-06-2004 03:06 AM

Buying low carb foods online??

They don't sell meat, eggs, and cheese in your little town?

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

om...

Wolfbrother 24-06-2004 07:52 AM

"JC Der Koenig" > wrote in message om>...
> They don't sell meat, eggs, and cheese in your little town?
>
> --
> You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW
>

> "Mike Shmayer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Has anyone successfully tried any of the low carb foods that are sold
> > online? I live in a small town, and can't find very many products
> > locally. One place that caught my eye was www.nosugardaddy.com .. has
> > anyone tried this place, or can recommend another online vendor to
> > look into?
> >
> > Thanks

Yeah try and stick with a diet of whole foods that is naturaly
low carb instead of eating fake processed foods artificialy made to be
low in carbs. Most of it is pretty scary stuff loaded with sucralos
and soy flower. If you must have bread go with sprouted whole
grain/multi grain breads wich are fairly low in carbs and much more
healthy than nasty low carb soy flower breads.

Siobhan Perricone 24-06-2004 11:54 AM

On 23 Jun 2004 18:58:18 -0700, (Mike Shmayer) wrote:

>Has anyone successfully tried any of the low carb foods that are sold
>online? I live in a small town, and can't find very many products
>locally. One place that caught my eye was
www.nosugardaddy.com .. has
>anyone tried this place, or can recommend another online vendor to
>look into?

I have great experiences with www.netrition.com. Orders are always in good
time, packaged well, and the prices are reasonable.

Though, many of the low carb versions of things are yucky and not worth it
at any price. If there are some specific things you're looking at, ask
over here and I'll let you know if I've had it and what I thought of it.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

Siobhan Perricone 24-06-2004 11:55 AM

On 23 Jun 2004 23:52:33 -0700, (Wolfbrother) wrote:

> Yeah try and stick with a diet of whole foods that is naturaly
>low carb instead of eating fake processed foods artificialy made to be

Why is it that people feel such a powerful need to control what other
people eat? There are dozens of perfectly reasonable reasons why people
use this stuff, and you don't know the whole story. I can see *suggesting*
that they might be happier with whole foods, but *telling* them to stick to
whole foods is pretty presumptuous.

Julie Bove 25-06-2004 06:00 AM

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message

> I have great experiences with www.netrition.com. Orders are always in good
> time, packaged well, and the prices are reasonable.
>
> Though, many of the low carb versions of things are yucky and not worth it
> at any price. If there are some specific things you're looking at, ask
> over here and I'll let you know if I've had it and what I thought of it.

I too have ordered from them. Aside from one order that seemed to get lost
somewhere out there in cyberspace, I've had no problems with the orders. I
did have a problem with most of the foods though. They were inedible! The
pumpkin custard was okay and low in carbs when made with water, but it is
sold in such a large quantity that I could never eat all of it. Bought a
chocolate shake mix for my daughter. She liked it for a while then got
burned out on it. Also bought some of the gelatin and powdered drink mixes.
Nothing wrong with those, except that now the flavors I was buying are
widely available in any grocery store. Really no need for me to order from
them any more.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Mike Shmayer 25-06-2004 09:33 PM

Buying low carb foods online??

> > "Mike Shmayer" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Has anyone successfully tried any of the low carb foods that are sold
> > > online? I live in a small town, and can't find very many products
> > > locally. One place that caught my eye was www.nosugardaddy.com .. has
> > > anyone tried this place, or can recommend another online vendor to
> > > look into?
> > >
> > > Thanks

> Yeah try and stick with a diet of whole foods that is naturaly
> low carb instead of eating fake processed foods artificialy made to be
> low in carbs. Most of it is pretty scary stuff loaded with sucralos
> and soy flower. If you must have bread go with sprouted whole
> grain/multi grain breads wich are fairly low in carbs and much more
> healthy than nasty low carb soy flower breads.

I'm type 2, and while I typically use whole grain breads as my carb
source in each meal, it's killing me to not be able to put jam on my
bread or dressing on my salad. Most of the products on that
nosugardaddy.com website use sugar alcohols like maltitol, sorbitol,
mannitol, as sweeteners.. are those as bad as sucralose? I know
sucralose is a chlorinated carb, but I don't think the sugar alcohols
are.

Priscilla Ballou 25-06-2004 10:46 PM

Buying low carb foods online??

In article >,
(Mike Shmayer) wrote:

> I'm type 2, and while I typically use whole grain breads as my carb
> source in each meal, it's killing me to not be able to put jam on my
> bread or dressing on my salad.

Why no dressing on your salad? There are plenty of very LC salad
dressing options.

> Most of the products on that
> nosugardaddy.com website use sugar alcohols like maltitol, sorbitol,
> mannitol, as sweeteners.. are those as bad as sucralose? I know
> sucralose is a chlorinated carb, but I don't think the sugar alcohols
> are.

What's wrong with sucralose in your view? I don't care for the taste,
which is why I don't use much of it. I am using less and less of the
sugar alcohols because of frequent GI response to them.

I like Smuckers reduced sugar jam myself.

Priscilla, type 2

pcx99 25-06-2004 11:53 PM

Mike Shmayer wrote:

> Has anyone successfully tried any of the low carb foods that are sold
> online? I live in a small town, and can't find very many products
> locally. One place that caught my eye was www.nosugardaddy.com .. has
> anyone tried this place, or can recommend another online vendor to
> look into?
>
> Thanks

Low carb friends has a good marketplace that's reputable and reliable.
It also has a nice community message board that's very helpful and not
as impersonal as usenet.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com

--
-------------
http://www.hunlock.com/health.php

Debbie Cusick 26-06-2004 12:45 AM

Mike Shmayer wrote:

> bread or dressing on my salad. Most of the products on that
> nosugardaddy.com website use sugar alcohols like maltitol, sorbitol,
> mannitol, as sweeteners.. are those as bad as sucralose?

Huh? Sucralose is the **good** product. All those "-ols" are bad!
--
Debbie

Jennifer 26-06-2004 12:48 AM

Buying low carb foods online??

Maybe Mike meant: Sucrose?

Jennifer

Julie Bove 26-06-2004 02:58 AM

Buying low carb foods online??

"Mike Shmayer" > wrote in message
om...

> I'm type 2, and while I typically use whole grain breads as my carb
> source in each meal, it's killing me to not be able to put jam on my
> bread or dressing on my salad. Most of the products on that
> nosugardaddy.com website use sugar alcohols like maltitol, sorbitol,
> mannitol, as sweeteners.. are those as bad as sucralose? I know
> sucralose is a chlorinated carb, but I don't think the sugar alcohols
> are.

Sugar alcohols = laxative. If you like dashing to the bathroom, passing
gas, having stomach pains, etc., go for it! Personally, I try to avoid that
junk.

Jolly More 26-06-2004 07:01 AM

Buying low carb foods online??

low carb friends are definitely not as impersonal as new groups. also
info has more authentic than just someone answering to a group
message.
good luck

Alan 26-06-2004 07:50 AM

Buying low carb foods online??

On 25 Jun 2004 23:01:09 -0700, (Jolly More)
wrote:

>low carb friends are definitely not as impersonal as new groups. also
>info has more authentic than just someone answering to a group
>message.
>good luck

Hi Jolly

I suspect that I would probably strenuously disagree with that statement
if it was stated in English. But, as I am as completely ignorant of the
expertise available on "carb friends" as you are of that available on
usenet, I'll call it quits.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.

Sherry 22-08-2004 09:23 PM

(Mike Shmayer) wrote in
om:
<snip>

> I'm type 2, and while I typically use whole grain breads as my carb
> source in each meal, it's killing me to not be able to put jam on my
> bread or dressing on my salad.

It's been ages since I've had a jam or jelly on my bread. I butter up
my toast and put splenda and cinnamon on it and stick it in the
microwave for 20 seconds. YUMMY

Oil and vinegar for the salad? Stay away from low-fat salad dressings.
They have a bunch of sugar added to compensate for the lower taste from
the lower fat.

Sherry

Sherry 22-08-2004 09:25 PM

Priscilla Ballou > wrote in news:vze23t8n-
:

<snip>

I am using less and less of the
> sugar alcohols because of frequent GI response to them.

I think that's an acquired thing. When I was first diagnosed and ate
candy and stuff with the sugar alcohols in it, I didn't have a problem at
all. Now I have to be really careful about that (Gas shortage? What gas
shortage? <g>)

Sexy Red 23-08-2004 12:14 AM

> I'm type 2, and while I typically use whole grain breads as my carb
>> source in each meal, it's killing me to not be able to put jam on my
>> bread or dressing on my salad.

>It's been ages since I've had a jam or jelly on my bread. I butter up
>my toast and put splenda and cinnamon on it and stick it in the
>microwave for 20 seconds. YUMMY

I make cinnamon toast like this also, but Smucker's makes sugar-free jelly that
is pretty darn good! Unfortunately it is made with Nutrasweet but it's very
tasty.

__________________________________________________ __
Leetie, Keeper of CRAIG DAVID and LIL' KIM

Sexy Red 23-08-2004 12:14 AM

Sherry 23-08-2004 03:20 AM

onover (Sexy Red) wrote in
:

> I make cinnamon toast like this also, but Smucker's makes sugar-free
> jelly that is pretty darn good! Unfortunately it is made with
> Nutrasweet but it's very tasty.

Why not just use fruit spreads with no sugar or artificial sweeteners
added?

Sherry

Priscilla Ballou 23-08-2004 04:47 AM

In article > ,
Sherry > wrote:
> onover (Sexy Red) wrote in
> :
> > I make cinnamon toast like this also, but Smucker's makes sugar-free
> > jelly that is pretty darn good! Unfortunately it is made with
> > Nutrasweet but it's very tasty.

> Why not just use fruit spreads with no sugar or artificial sweeteners
> added?

Probably because they're sweetened with fruit juice -- IOW with sugar
but just not table sugar. Legally, "sugar-free" and "no sugar added"
don't mean that none of the ingredients in their original form contain
sugars.

Priscilla

JHA 04-10-2004 06:28 PM

Sugar alcohols are carbs. The most polite thing I can say about the
statement "sugar alcohols have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels"--
which you see on a lot of "low net carb" foods--is that it's a gross
oversimplification.

Different people react differently to sugar alcohols. I almost never
have GI problems, but I've never had a problem with glucophage either
(usually things that make my system more active are a good thing for
me). One the other hand, I have to count the sugar alcohols as plain
ordinary carbs.

It also depends on which sugar alcohol. Maltitol seems to be the most
like regular carbs in terms of raising blood glucose for most people.
Other types don't affect BG as much. Ben & Jerry's Carb Karma ice cream
has a bunch of sugar alcohols that don't raise my BG much. On the other
hand, the one time I ate WAY too much of it, my insides gurgled all
night. BG was absolutely flat.

It appears that sugar alcohols tend to either: (1) raise your BG, or
(2) create GI problems (or some mix of the two).

Mike Shmayer wrote:

e.com...

JHA 04-10-2004 06:28 PM