FoodBanter.com

-   -   Breakfast (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/14036-breakfast.html)

Philip Edwards 19-06-2004 11:22 PM

Breakfast

Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.
All the best,
Phil

Jennifer 19-06-2004 11:35 PM

Breakfast

The thing about breakfast is... it doesn't have to be breakfast.

What do you eat for the other meals? You can eat that.

Fish?
Eggs?
Yogurt?
Turkey?

As for instant... hard boiled eggs... cup of yogurt... ricotta cheese...
cold turkey slices and tomato... celery with cream cheese... tuna on
Wasa crackers...

Jennifer

Alan 19-06-2004 11:41 PM

Breakfast

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:22:27 +0000 (UTC), "Philip Edwards"
> wrote:

>Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
>I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
>thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.
>All the best,
>Phil

Hi Philip.

Porridge oats at breakfast are a dim memory for me, as is all breakfast
cereal. I notice you've been lurking on m.h.d. so I presume you are
testing as recommended by Jennifer at
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm .

So you want more than unfussy. You also want "un-spiky". I've posted
some more detailed ideas that I use after the "scrambled egg":

If time is a problem, try microwave scrambled egg. Crack an egg into a
mug, add a splash of milk, whisk roughly with a fork, season to taste.
Put it in the microwave on high for one minute while you pour out your
cuppa. Stir when cooked, and eat from the mug. You'll find out fairly
quickly if you need to adjust the cooking time. Add some chopped parsley
or your favourite herb for variety.

Now, for non-spike breakfasts:

Breakfasts

1. Egg. The humble egg can be cooked in so many ways: poached, fried
(minimal oil in a non-stick pan), normal omelette (beat it lightly while
cooking), fluffy omelette (seperate, whip the white with a spoonful of
water, fold back with filling and yolk), scrambled with a little milk,
frittata (sort of a heavier omelette with filling), and baked. Use
fillings, cheese, fresh herbs if you can, dried if you can't.

2. Protein. Bacon, Ham, small steak, hamburger patty (watch the fat),
chicken, fish (smoked, canned or fresh), prosciutto, hot dogs and so on.
Can be fried, grilled/broiled, chopped after cooking and added to
omelettes, frittata or scrambled eggs. Fish can be also be cooked as
mornays.

3. Mushrooms. Small ones can be sliced and cooked with onions, herbs ,
garlic etc and a little oil and flour for a gravy. Large ones can be
filled with bolognaise or napoli sauce (or whatever you like), topped
with grated cheese and baked in the oven. Also another good omelette
filling.

4. Casseroles and stews - beef, lamb, chicken, mince (ground beef) etc
can be pre-prepared and divided into individual breakfast sized serves.
Put them in small plastic containers in the freezer and zap one in the
microwave for breakfast. Check the carbs in the recipe to check
suitability. Beef bourgignon, Irish Stew (watch the spuds), chicken
fricassee, whatever your favourite is.

5. Leftovers - slices of roast meat, re-heated or cold, re-heated chops
etc.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.

Marty 20-06-2004 12:18 AM

Breakfast

"Philip Edwards" > wrote in message
> Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
> I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
> thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.
> All the best,
> Phil

I can't eat porridge on a morning sends me sky high (my freind is the same)
i either just have a cup of tea and have something about 10:30ish or eat any
3 or 4 from these: bacon,egg,black pudding,tomatoes and mushrooms.
i have also found that on the odd ocasion that i treat myself to fried (in
olive oil) bread that it hardly afects me

Snarfweazel! 20-06-2004 03:07 AM

Breakfast

If you can invest in a small steamer/rice ooker it will benefit you
immensely!! Throw anything in with your favorite spices ( ilove salmon
even for breakfast) chicken breast, lean ham, and some veggies like
mushrooms etc.. Add about 1/2 inch to the bottom and walk away for 1/2
hour and voila! its done!

--
If the Second Amendment is so out of date
then shouldn't we also throw out everything written

Priscilla Ballou 20-06-2004 03:55 AM

Breakfast

In article >,
"Philip Edwards" > wrote:

> Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
> I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
> thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.

I can't handle oats at any hour of the day. Spikes me to kingdom come.
I have omelets or bacon and eggs most mornings.

Priscilla

Siobhan Perricone 20-06-2004 02:38 PM

Breakfast

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:55:03 GMT, Priscilla Ballou >
wrote:

>> Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
>> I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
>> thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.

>I can't handle oats at any hour of the day. Spikes me to kingdom come.
>I have omelets or bacon and eggs most mornings.

My morning readings are still higher than I like them. I usually have the
same sorts of things you have on the weekends, but during the work week I
just have sugar free jello (no carbs) and hot tea for breakfast.

I really should walk more in the evenings to get my BG down more in the
mornings.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

Julie Bove 20-06-2004 07:37 PM

Breakfast

"Philip Edwards" > wrote in message
> Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
> I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
> thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.

And they're probably not the best thing for you to be eating. How is your
BG after eating those? My typical breakfast is either cottage cheese or a
hard boiled egg. I boil the eggs in advance. If my BG is low enough, I
might add a few strawberries to the cottage cheese. Other times if my BG
is low enough, I'll have one or two slices of toast or a few rye crackers
with some margarine with no trans-fats.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Vicki Beausoleil 27-06-2004 10:22 AM

Breakfast

J David Anderson wrote:

> Reposted from correct (spamtrap) account.
>
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:56:03 -0500, Alan wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:22:27 +0000 (UTC), "Philip Edwards"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
> >>I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
> >>thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.
> >>All the best,
> >>Phil
> >>

> >I get fruit yogurt with no added sugar -- some artificial sweetener.
> >
> >Or, you can make it yourself with some plain yogurt and, say, some
> >strawberries, or raspberries, etc. etc.
> >
> >I like it because I don't drink much milk, and it is a way to get some
> >calcium and protein along with the fruit.

> Way too high in carbs.
>
> A 125gm (very small) tub of diet or light yogurt with fruit may not have
> *added* sugar but according to label on my wife's yogurt it still
> contains 24gm's of carbohydrate and only 6 gms protein. This is
> supported by FitDay software. Too many carbs and not enough protein.
>
> A ham & egg omelette with shallots and low fat cheese only contains 3.5
> carbs and 24 grams of protein (if made with fully lean smoked ham).
>
> The yogurt is for a low fat diet, not a low carb diet.
>
> I know which I prefer.
>
> Regards
>
> David

I don't know what kind of yogurt you're getting, but the two kinds of
artificially sweetened fruit flavoured yogurt available here have 6 and
8 g of carbs per 125 g serving. Maybe yours is sweetened with sugar? The
amount of carbs you give is about what's available in the
sugar-sweetened products.

Danone Silhouette - 8 g - sweetened with aspartame
Yoplait Source - 6 g - sweetened with Splenda

Vicki

trinity 06-07-2004 02:27 AM

Breakfast

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

>J David Anderson wrote:
>

>>Reposted from correct (spamtrap) account.
>>
>>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:56:03 -0500, Alan wrote:

>>>I get fruit yogurt with no added sugar -- some artificial sweetener.
>>>
>>>Or, you can make it yourself with some plain yogurt and, say, some
>>>strawberries, or raspberries, etc. etc.
>>>
>>>I like it because I don't drink much milk, and it is a way to get some
>>>calcium and protein along with the fruit.
>>>

>>Way too high in carbs.
>>
>>A 125gm (very small) tub of diet or light yogurt with fruit may not have
>>*added* sugar but according to label on my wife's yogurt it still
>>contains 24gm's of carbohydrate and only 6 gms protein. This is
>>supported by FitDay software. Too many carbs and not enough protein.
>>
>>A ham & egg omelette with shallots and low fat cheese only contains 3.5
>>carbs and 24 grams of protein (if made with fully lean smoked ham).
>>
>>The yogurt is for a low fat diet, not a low carb diet.
>>
>>I know which I prefer.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>David
>>

>I don't know what kind of yogurt you're getting, but the two kinds of
>artificially sweetened fruit flavoured yogurt available here have 6 and
>8 g of carbs per 125 g serving. Maybe yours is sweetened with sugar? The
>amount of carbs you give is about what's available in the
>sugar-sweetened products.
>
>Danone Silhouette - 8 g - sweetened with aspartame
>Yoplait Source - 6 g - sweetened with Splenda
>
>Vicki

There is also Astro which is 9grams, sweetened with aspertame.
Trinity

--
Dx Oct 2003, 500mg metformin 2x/day
38 y.o. 162 lbs at dx; now 131 lbs.

JHA 04-10-2004 06:13 PM

Siobhan:

You may already have experimented and found this doesn't apply to you,
but: many diabetics find that eating zero calories for breakfast
INcreases their BG. Presumably it's the liver that's decided "It's
morning! You need tsome glucose to get going!"

Two things that work for me:

Berries. They don't raise my BG much, and fruit is about the only thing
my stomach actually wants first thing in the morning (besides potatoes,
bread, regular Coke, etc....)

Canned tuna or salmon mixed with hardboiled eggs I use three per can,
but that's kind of high on the fat) plus a little bit of lemon-herb
tartar sauce. Almost zero carbs, plus you make it ahead of time so you
can just grab it out of the fridge first thing in the morning. (I like
cooking, but I HATE getting up in the morning; cooking on weekdays means
I have to get up earlier so I rarely do it.)

There are also some breads that actually are low carb (subtracting the
fiber, of course); most of them I find rather sour-tasting so they need
a little jam on them. There is some bread out from either Brownberry
or Pepperidge Farm (IIRC) that has the Atkins logo on it that's fairly
low carb (and no sugar alcohols). It tastes fine to me; the only thing
I don't like is that it's kind of fluffy. I like bread that's heavy.

All that said, I take 3 to 5 units of Humalog every morning to
counteract my liver.