FoodBanter.com

-   -   mexican casserole (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/14011-mexican-casserole.html)

pam_in_sc 31-05-2004 02:04 AM

mexican casserole

We used to make a mexican casserole with a layer of rice mixed with sour
cream, a layer of canned vegetarian black bean chile, a layer of
chicken, a layer of tomato sauce and a layer of cheese. Here is my new
low carb version:

4 medium zucchini
1 large onion
2 tblsp olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup cooked chicken, perhaps with mexican seasoning
1/2 cup salsa
2 oz cheddar cheese, grated or sliced thin

Steam the zucchini until partially cooked. Saute the onion in olive oil
until soft and slightly browned. Mix zucchini and onion and season with
salt and pepper if desired. I took an idea from a Mexican recipe and
added mint but I couldn't taste it--you might try parsley. Beat eggs and
mix in sour cream, mix with zucchini and onion. Spray oil in a
casserole and put the zucchini/onion/egg/sour cream mixture in it. Put
the chicken on top of the zucchini, then the salsa on top of the
chicken. Cover with grated or thin sliced cheese. Bake at 350 for 40
minutes or until bubbling.

Pam
t2 since Nov. 2003, diet and exercise

Jennifer 31-05-2004 07:19 AM

mexican casserole

Pam...

You may want to try black soy beans... they taste almost like black
beans, and they're low carb/high fiber.

I found them in my health food supermarket.

Jennifer