Theo

Default Whole grains for low GI?

I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to live
mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand the
table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.

Am I misinterpreting the data?

Thanks-

Theo

tom

Where do you download this info? Thanks

--
Tom Black

http://tomblackart.com

"Theo" (reply w/o spam)> wrote in message
news
> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to
live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand

the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?
>
> Thanks-
>
> Theo

Jennifer

That's what the charts say.

Brown rice is not better than white.

I like lentils.

Jennifer

Theo wrote:

> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?
>
> Thanks-
>
> Theo

Peanutjake

"Jennifer" > wrote in message ...
> That's what the charts say.
>
> Brown rice is not better than white.
>
> I like lentils.
>
> Jennifer

Take a look at Channa Dal, a tasty lentil available in indian grocery stores.

PJ

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Jennifer > wrote:

> That's what the charts say.
>
> Brown rice is not better than white.

However, for some of us, the fiber slows it enough that a 1/2-1 cup
serving doesn't spike us. It all comes down to what your meter says.

Priscilla

Jennifer

Priscilla...

There's really not much fiber in brown rice.

A half cup cooked only has 1.8g of fiber for it's 23g of carbs.

Jennifer

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

> In article >,
> Jennifer > wrote:
>

>>That's what the charts say.
>>
>>Brown rice is not better than white.

> However, for some of us, the fiber slows it enough that a 1/2-1 cup
> serving doesn't spike us. It all comes down to what your meter says.
>
> Priscilla

Julie Bove

"Theo" (reply w/o spam)> wrote in message
news
> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to
live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand

the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?

Keep in mind that once you start adding other foods, the entire GI changes.
I can't eat any rice except in really small amounts, mixed in other foods.
I love barley and have found that I can eat some in soup. But when I tried
a delicious barley casserole with pine nuts and mushrooms in it, my BG was
too high at two hours after eating. I did have the carb count for the total
dish and made sure not to eat any more carbs than I normally do. So this
didn't work for me.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Thomas Muffaletto

I do have both white and brown rice when ever I wish
just not in the amounts I used to. for me that means
I can have about 15 grams of carb of any kind of rice, bread
or potato. I went to a dietitian and got a great exchange type diet.

Thomas Muffaletto

--
The American Diabetes Associations Web Site.
http://www.diabetes.org/about-diabetes.jsp

"Theo" (reply w/o spam)> wrote in message
news
> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to
live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand

the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?
>
> Thanks-
>
> Theo

Randy

Theo wrote:
> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?

I've found that rice alone spikes my BG, but when combining it with low
carb foods (e.g. thai or chinese food) the spike is greatly lowered.
The same holds for tortilla chips. When combined with salsa, I get a
much flatter/lower rise, but possibly over a longer time span.

I'm guessing that the area under the curve (the graph of my BG over
time) is probably the same after eating N number of carbs, but when the
the curve is made longer (by lowering the average glycemic index of what
I've eaten), the height of the curve is lowered. And the height of the
curve is what diabetics care about most. Otherwise, glycemic index (the
rate of carb absorption) would be irrelevant, and we would care only
about total carbs.

I suspect that the impact on BG of perhaps all high glycemic index foods
can be moderated in this way.

Randy
pam_in_sc

Theo wrote:
> I just downloaded the more recent GI/GL table for many foods. I used to live
> mainly on brown rice, and would like to do so again. But if I understand the
> table correctly, whole brown rice isn't that much better than white rice.
> Barley looks pretty safe, but is less to my taste.
>
> Am I misinterpreting the data?
>
> Thanks-
>
> Theo

The variety of rice makes more difference--basmati is better than other
varieties. So we eat brown basmati, available in natural food
supermarkets. But I can't have very much.

Pam
t2 since Nov. 2003, diet and exercise.

Uncle Enrico

Try using less water to achieve a firmer grain.

Whole grains KT Baking 5 29-09-2005 01:13 AM
Whole grains Cal Baking 5 27-02-2005 07:45 AM
Using intact grains Will Waller Sourdough 11 04-12-2004 08:16 PM
Using intact grains Randall Nortman Sourdough 2 04-12-2004 05:59 AM
"WHOLE GRAINS" General Cooking 29 24-10-2003 01:24 PM