Jennifer

Default This Pasta May Be Possible

I loved pasta.

Eating correctly for my diabetes meant, no more pasta for me. The
spikes were too high.

I did try EVERY single low carb pasta that came along.
I did throw out EVERY single low carb pasta that came along.

Due Amici
ProSlim
Keto Brand
Atkins Brand
Carb Fit
Pastalia
Darielle
Bella Vita (the only slightly acceptable one, but only the penne tastes
okay, the other shapes are horrible, don't know why)

I tried them all. The thing with all those pastas is that they use
what's called the "dilution" method to lower carbs.

They take out the wheat and replace it with soy, protein isolates,
and/or other non-glucose raising fillers. And it affects the taste and
texture. Too much for me.

But hope springs eternal, and I continue to seek a low carb pasta that
is "real".

And I may have found it in Dreamfields.

The problem is, it almost seems like a sort of "magic".

First off, let me say, that for taste and texture, Dreamfields is 99.9%
identical to high carb regular boxed pasta. I mean identical.

Even the box lists it's carb count as: 42g per 2oz serving. Same as
your regular pasta... but the box says "5g NET carbs per serving"...
that's the magic part.

The company claims it has come up with a proprietary process of
rendering 37g of those 42g "protected". What they say that means, is
that all but 5g per serving are not digested, but pass to the colon and
are treated like fiber, providing all the health benefits of fiber.
With NO gastric distress. Government rules say that the carb count is
as it hits your mouth, and labeling hasn't caught up with this new
technology... yet. That's why the nutritional listing on the box says
"42g" per serving, but the company claims 5g net... It also would mean
that the calorie count is likely lower as the carbs, aren't digested
like carbs, so they would not have the calories of carbs... They also
claim that it has a GI of 12. Big claims.

But is it true?

I was willing to risk a spike to find out.

Yesterday I decided to eat 4oz (that's two servings) of the linguine for
lunch. I chose to eat only that with 2T of olive oil, a little
salt/pepper and garlic. I didn't want the sauce or toppings to impact
the carb count or the digestion of the carbs. I figured 2T of olive oil
wasn't enough fat to delay a possible spike. I tested every half hour
after the first bite of food, until the 3 hour mark.

It wasn't a hardship test, because the pasta was very very very good.
It was the first full bowl of normal pasta I've had in almost 5 years.
I loved it. And as I ate it, I hoped they weren't lying to me, and that
I would spike. My portion meant 84g of carbs... had they been
"unprotected". An amount that would rocket my BGs.

So, the results:

Before the first bite: 114
At 30 minutes: 107
At 1 hour: 120
At 90 minutes: 114
At 2 hours: 119
At 2 1/2 hours: 117
At 3 hours: 118

For me, a complete success... and after all that "fiber", not a moment
of any bloat or gastric problems.

I am going to keep testing a lot the next few times I eat this pasta,
just to make sure this wasn't a fluke.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, some anecdotal postings on
some newsgroups show some people do spike anyway... the company is
trying to discover why.

In any case, a pasta that tastes like pasta, that is treated by the body
like fiber, that is low carb and low cal may be worth a look see for
anyone that pines for penne or longs for linguine.

Here are some websites where you can read more and draw your own
conclusions:

http://www.mendosa.com/dreamfields_pasta.htm

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com

As for me, right now... Stick a feather in my cap and call me macaroni!

Jennifer

WTF-Pasta Dimitri General Cooking 35 14-09-2008 06:18 AM
Pasta B.L.T. Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-12-2005 03:14 PM
Pasta alla Posillipo (Pasta with Mixed Seafood) Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 24-09-2005 12:27 PM
Pasta Alla Checca (pasta With Steeped Tomato 7Hawks Recipes 0 20-11-2004 10:26 PM