FoodBanter.com

-   -   stuff to do with almond meal and flax meal (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/139439-stuff-do-almond-meal.html)

Jackie Patti[_2_] 08-11-2007 10:24 PM

stuff to do with almond meal and flax meal

I posted my cereal recipe on asd recently. It's a mixture of 2 cups
almond meal, 2 1/2 cups flax meal, 1 3/4 cups raw wheat germ, 2 cups oat
bran, 2 1/2 cups milk isolate protein powder, 1 cup soy lecithin, 1 cup
cinnamon (approximately 1/2 lb of first 5 ingredients, 1/4 lb of last 2
ingredients). Store tightly covered in fridge. As needed, mix 3/4 cup
dry cereal with boiling water to desired consistency; then stir in 1 TB
of heavy cream. 28g total carb (lots is fiber though), 23g protein and
350 kilocalories.

I got thinking about what else I do with these ingredients. I use
lecithin in protein powder shakes also; it's an emulsifier. Probably
could us it for making mayonnaise too, now that I think of it. But I am
mostly a lazy cook, so I don't make my own mayo.

I sometimes see recipes for wonderful pastries made with almond meal
and/or flax meal, sometimes I clip them and save them, but I rarely
actually get around to making them. I do occasionally spend 4 hours in
the kitchen, but when I do, I don't expect to have to cook for a week.
I'm not really motivated to make low-carb cheesecake unless it's a
matter of just mixing cream cheese with some vanilla and lemon juice and
sweetener - that's good enough for me.

So here's my actual fast, practical almond meal/flax meal recipes that I
make all the time:

First one is to make a slice of bread. I use a square pyrex about the
size of a regular bread slice with a lid. Melt 1 TB butter in the dish
in the microwave, then stir in 1 beaten egg, 2 TB flax meal, 2 TB almond
meal and 1/4 tsp baking powder; cover and microwave for 90 seconds.

I will often put the bread on a plate and put a slice of cheese on it;
then cook an egg in the same pyrex dish to top it with. The whole
sandwich has 9g total carb, 26g protein and 542 calories. A very fast
breakfast with minimal dishes involved.

Second one I do often is to make a muffin, which I nuke in a coffee cup.
This is particularly good when you're craving something specific like
a banana muffin or garlic bread cause the taste varies depending on what
extracts/sweeteners or herbs you use. Just melt 2 TB coconut oil in
coffee cup, beat in 1 egg, 1/4 cup flax meal and either some
extract/sweetener for a sweet muffin or spices/herbs* for a savory
muffin. Nuke for 1 minute for a muffin with 17g total carb, 17g protein
and 612 calories.

*Julie can add salt here. ;)

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Julie Bove 08-11-2007 11:31 PM

"Jackie Patti" > wrote in message
>I posted my cereal recipe on asd recently. It's a mixture of 2 cups almond
>meal, 2 1/2 cups flax meal, 1 3/4 cups raw wheat germ, 2 cups oat bran, 2
>1/2 cups milk isolate protein powder, 1 cup soy lecithin, 1 cup cinnamon
>(approximately 1/2 lb of first 5 ingredients, 1/4 lb of last 2
>ingredients). Store tightly covered in fridge. As needed, mix 3/4 cup dry
>cereal with boiling water to desired consistency; then stir in 1 TB of
>heavy cream. 28g total carb (lots is fiber though), 23g protein and 350
>kilocalories.
>
> I got thinking about what else I do with these ingredients. I use
> lecithin in protein powder shakes also; it's an emulsifier. Probably
> could us it for making mayonnaise too, now that I think of it. But I am
> mostly a lazy cook, so I don't make my own mayo.
>
> I sometimes see recipes for wonderful pastries made with almond meal
> and/or flax meal, sometimes I clip them and save them, but I rarely
> actually get around to making them. I do occasionally spend 4 hours in
> the kitchen, but when I do, I don't expect to have to cook for a week. I'm
> not really motivated to make low-carb cheesecake unless it's a matter of
> just mixing cream cheese with some vanilla and lemon juice and sweetener -
> that's good enough for me.
>
> So here's my actual fast, practical almond meal/flax meal recipes that I
> make all the time:
>
> First one is to make a slice of bread. I use a square pyrex about the
> size of a regular bread slice with a lid. Melt 1 TB butter in the dish in
> the microwave, then stir in 1 beaten egg, 2 TB flax meal, 2 TB almond meal
> and 1/4 tsp baking powder; cover and microwave for 90 seconds.
>
> I will often put the bread on a plate and put a slice of cheese on it;
> then cook an egg in the same pyrex dish to top it with. The whole
> sandwich has 9g total carb, 26g protein and 542 calories. A very fast
> breakfast with minimal dishes involved.
>
> Second one I do often is to make a muffin, which I nuke in a coffee cup.
> This is particularly good when you're craving something specific like a
> banana muffin or garlic bread cause the taste varies depending on what
> extracts/sweeteners or herbs you use. Just melt 2 TB coconut oil in
> coffee cup, beat in 1 egg, 1/4 cup flax meal and either some
> extract/sweetener for a sweet muffin or spices/herbs* for a savory muffin.
> Nuke for 1 minute for a muffin with 17g total carb, 17g protein and 612
> calories.
>
> *Julie can add salt here. ;)

Since I am allergic to almonds, eggs and other things in your recipe, I
wouldn't be making it. I do make a yummy onion bread with flax, sunflower
seeds and a few other ingredients. The recipe calls for Nama Shoyu, but I
don't do soy so I put in a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt. I think I posted it
here before. You need a dehydrator for it.

Uncle Enrico 12-11-2007 12:36 PM

Jackie Patti wrote:
> I posted my cereal recipe on asd recently. It's a mixture of 2 cups
> almond meal, 2 1/2 cups flax meal, 1 3/4 cups raw wheat germ, 2 cups oat
> bran, 2 1/2 cups milk isolate protein powder, 1 cup soy lecithin, 1 cup
> cinnamon (approximately 1/2 lb of first 5 ingredients, 1/4 lb of last 2
> ingredients). Store tightly covered in fridge. As needed, mix 3/4 cup
> dry cereal with boiling water to desired consistency; then stir in 1 TB
> of heavy cream. 28g total carb (lots is fiber though), 23g protein and
> 350 kilocalories.
>
> I got thinking about what else I do with these ingredients. I use
> lecithin in protein powder shakes also; it's an emulsifier. Probably
> could us it for making mayonnaise too, now that I think of it. But I am
> mostly a lazy cook, so I don't make my own mayo.
>
> I sometimes see recipes for wonderful pastries made with almond meal
> and/or flax meal, sometimes I clip them and save them, but I rarely
> actually get around to making them. I do occasionally spend 4 hours in
> the kitchen, but when I do, I don't expect to have to cook for a week.
> I'm not really motivated to make low-carb cheesecake unless it's a
> matter of just mixing cream cheese with some vanilla and lemon juice and
> sweetener - that's good enough for me.
>
> So here's my actual fast, practical almond meal/flax meal recipes that I
> make all the time:
>
> First one is to make a slice of bread. I use a square pyrex about the
> size of a regular bread slice with a lid. Melt 1 TB butter in the dish
> in the microwave, then stir in 1 beaten egg, 2 TB flax meal, 2 TB almond
> meal and 1/4 tsp baking powder; cover and microwave for 90 seconds.
>
> I will often put the bread on a plate and put a slice of cheese on it;
> then cook an egg in the same pyrex dish to top it with. The whole
> sandwich has 9g total carb, 26g protein and 542 calories. A very fast
> breakfast with minimal dishes involved.
>
> Second one I do often is to make a muffin, which I nuke in a coffee cup.
> This is particularly good when you're craving something specific like a
> banana muffin or garlic bread cause the taste varies depending on what
> extracts/sweeteners or herbs you use. Just melt 2 TB coconut oil in
> coffee cup, beat in 1 egg, 1/4 cup flax meal and either some
> extract/sweetener for a sweet muffin or spices/herbs* for a savory
> muffin. Nuke for 1 minute for a muffin with 17g total carb, 17g protein
> and 612 calories.
>
> *Julie can add salt here. ;)

Sounds interesting.I like the microwave baking idea. Do you grind your
own almonds or buy almond flour?

Jackie Patti[_2_] 12-11-2007 08:56 PM

Uncle Enrico wrote:

> Sounds interesting.I like the microwave baking idea. Do you grind your
> own almonds or buy almond flour?

Both, it depends.

Lately, I am buying both the almond and flax preground. I store both in
the fridge.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Karen Burns 17-11-2007 01:24 AM

Jackie Patti wrote:
> I posted my cereal recipe on asd recently.

Much snipped for brevity, but it was also saved!

Jackie, I thank you for sharing these ideas and methods. I've recently
been diagnosed with Type 2 (on Halloween of all days... how do you like
that?!?), and have been on the hunt for interesting and tasty, yet
healthy ideas. I will be sure to try these soon.

Karen

Jackie Patti[_2_] 17-11-2007 02:46 AM

Karen Burns wrote:

> Much snipped for brevity, but it was also saved!
>
> Jackie, I thank you for sharing these ideas and methods. I've recently
> been diagnosed with Type 2 (on Halloween of all days... how do you like
> that?!?), and have been on the hunt for interesting and tasty, yet
> healthy ideas. I will be sure to try these soon.

Welcome! But sorry you had to join the "club," Karen.

Have you seen this yet?
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Karen Burns 17-11-2007 04:58 AM

Jackie Patti wrote:
> Karen Burns wrote:
>
>> Much snipped for brevity, but it was also saved!
>>
>> Jackie, I thank you for sharing these ideas and methods. I've
>> recently been diagnosed with Type 2 (on Halloween of all days... how
>> do you like that?!?), and have been on the hunt for interesting and
>> tasty, yet healthy ideas. I will be sure to try these soon.

> Welcome! But sorry you had to join the "club," Karen.
>
> Have you seen this yet?
> http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

I have now, thank you! :)