pam_in_sc

Default lemon bavarian cream

For those who allow themselves an occasional high fat treat so long as
it is low carb:

Lemon Barvarian Cream

8 oz cream cheese
juice and grated yellow rind of two small lemons
1/4 cup sugar or sweetener of your choice to taste
1/2 teasp gelatin
1 cup heavy cream

Leave cream cheese out of the refrigerator an hour or two to soften.
Place in blender with lemon juice and grated rind and blend until
smooth. Mix gelatin with 1 tblsp cold water in a very small bowl and
heat until the gelatin turns clear (the right way to do this is to put
the small bowl in a pan of boiling water but I just put the gelatin and
water in a pyrex custard cup and put it on the burner of my electric
stove on low heat). Add sweetener and gelatin to blender and blend
until smooth. Whip cream in another bowl and then fold the mixture from
the blender thoroughly into the whipped cream. Chill until set.

I don't like artificial sweeteners, even Splenda, and so I made this
with sugar. It is so rich that I find a small portion satisfying. It
makes at least 6 portions, which would mean 13 grams carbohydrate per
serving using sugar. Without the sweetener it is 4 grams carbohydrate
per serving, but add back any carbohydrate in whatever sweetener you use
(it would be 5 grams per serving if you used Splenda).

I've made a similar mousse using instead of the lemons a 100 gram 85%
chocolate bar and a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa. It needs
much less sweetener because there is some sugar in the chocolate bar.
But I haven't mastered how to blend the chocolate and the cream cheese
into something liquid enough to be able to fold it into the whipped
cream. I ended up adding the cream to the blender instead of whipping
it, which resulted in a rather heavy texture.

Pam
t2 since Nov. 2003, diet and exercise