Harvey Mandel

Default Splenda in Sponge cake

I tried to make a sponge cake using spenda instead of regular sugar. When I
went to add the splenda it created lumps in the mix which I could not stir
out. I baked it anyway to see what would happen. It did not rise in the pan
at all. What can I do short of going back to useing regular sugar?
Harvey

Vicki Beausoleil

Harvey Mandel wrote:

> I tried to make a sponge cake using spenda instead of regular sugar. When I
> went to add the splenda it created lumps in the mix which I could not stir
> out. I baked it anyway to see what would happen. It did not rise in the pan
> at all. What can I do short of going back to useing regular sugar?
> Harvey

Splenda does not impart structure to baked goods like sugar does.
Replacing sugar with Splenda won't work. You'll have to find a recipe
that is specifically formulated for Splenda, or else replace part of the
sugar with Splenda. Splenda will replace sugar easily in desserts where
the sugar doesn't provide structure, like cheesecake.

Here's a recipe for a lemon roll cake that uses Splenda. I've never
tried it - I'm not a lemon fan. I also can't get complete nutritional
information because there seems to be something wrong with my MasterCook
program. I'll give you what I've got, anyway.

You could always modify the flavourings to get the taste you like.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Triple Lemon Cake Roll

Recipe By : "More Splendid Desserts" by Jennifer Eloff
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Sugar-Free

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup Splenda sweetener
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
--Lemon Cheese Filling--
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
4 ounces light cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup Splenda sweetener
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3 drops yellow food coloring
--Lemon Syrup--
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup Splenda sweetener
1 drop yellow food coloring

Spray 15 x 10 inch jelly-roll pan with nonstic cooking spray. Line pan
with waxed paper; spray paper with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In large bowl, beat egg
yolks well; beat in Splenda, applesauce, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon
rind. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined. In
another bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff
peaks form; stir half into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites. Spread
batter evenly in jelly-roll pan. Bake in 375 degree oven for 12 to 15
minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Loosen edges of
cake from pan; invert onto clean towl. Remove paper; trim any brown
crusty edges. Roll up towel and cake together; place seam side down on
wire rack. Set aside to cool completely.
Lemon Cheese Filling: In food processor with sharp blade, process
cottage cheese until smooth. Add cream cheese, Splenda, lemon juice,
lemon rind and food colouring; process until smooth.
Lemon Syrup: In small saucepan, stir lemon juice with cornstarch until
smooth. Stir in Splenda and bring to boiling, stirring. Remove from
heat; stir in yellow food colouring.
Assembly: Unroll cake and spread with Lemon Cheese Filling, leaving 1/4
inch border. Roll up gently without towel. Using a soft pastry brush,
brush lemon syrup over jelly roll. Refrigerate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nutritional analysis doesn't include the Splenda or the lowfat cottage
cheese. For some reason, my ingredients list is corrupted. If anyone out
there has MasterCook, feel free to run it through and correct my
analysis.

Per serving: 101 calories, 3.2 g fat, 1.6 g sat. fat, 13.2 g CHO (that's
carbs), 0.6 g fiber, 4.7 g protein

HTH

Vicki
Julie Bove

"Harvey Mandel" > wrote in message
> I tried to make a sponge cake using spenda instead of regular sugar. When

> went to add the splenda it created lumps in the mix which I could not stir
> out. I baked it anyway to see what would happen. It did not rise in the

pan
> at all. What can I do short of going back to useing regular sugar?

Splenda, and in fact all of the artificial sweeteners I know of work best in
moist foods. Might be good for cheesecake, but not regular cakes. Sugar
will caramelize/crystallize, and Splenda will not. Does sponge cake contain
flour? Not really sure what a sponge cake is. If so, it's probably not the
best thing for a diabetic to be eating anyway.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Food Prospector

I found that Splenda give me gastrointestinal pains.

Why don't you make Angel cake with sugar instead of sponge, since Angel is a
favorite diabetic dessert?

--
Food Prospector, Merritt Island, FL

"Harvey Mandel" > wrote in message
> I tried to make a sponge cake using spenda instead of regular sugar. When

> went to add the splenda it created lumps in the mix which I could not stir
> out. I baked it anyway to see what would happen. It did not rise in the

pan
> at all. What can I do short of going back to useing regular sugar?
> Harvey

Jennifer

Angel food cake may have no fat... but it has lots of carbs.

How 'bout a cake that has good fat (from almonds) and little carbs...
like this one:

MYRA'S CHOCOLATE-WALNUT BROWNIES

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups Splenda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cream (or water or coffee)
1 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square pan.

In a mixer, cream together the butter and Splenda. Add the eggs, one at a
time, incorporating well. Add the vanilla and cream, blending well. In a
small bowl, mix together the almond flour, xantham gum, salt and baking
soda. Add the almond flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating
with the chocolate. Fold in the nuts. This makes a very stiff batter -
almost dough-like.

Spread the batter in the greased pan, and baking for about 12-13 minutes,
or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cut into 16 1-inch squares.

Makes 16 servings, 3.38 carbs per serving.

Food Prospector wrote:
> I found that Splenda give me gastrointestinal pains.
>
> Why don't you make Angel cake with sugar instead of sponge, since Angel is a
> favorite diabetic dessert?

Alan

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:31:46 GMT, "Food Prospector"
> wrote:

>Why don't you make Angel cake with sugar instead of sponge, since Angel is a
>favorite diabetic dessert?

Serious question.

I kept re-reading this without comprehension. Could you explain it
please. I mean why would it be a favourite? For IDDM or NIDDM? At what
reduced serve size does it not increase my BGs through the roof?

Unless you meant it as a joke, or that it is a favourite dessert for
those who aspire to be diabetics?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
t2_lurking

Sweet!
Thanks
--

t2_lurking
geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom

"Jennifer" > wrote in message
> Angel food cake may have no fat... but it has lots of carbs.
>
> How 'bout a cake that has good fat (from almonds) and little carbs...
> like this one:
>
> MYRA'S CHOCOLATE-WALNUT BROWNIES
>
> 1/2 cup butter, softened
> 1 1/2 cups Splenda
> 2 eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 2 tablespoons cream (or water or coffee)
> 1 cup almond flour
> 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
> Pinch salt
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
> 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square pan.
>
> In a mixer, cream together the butter and Splenda. Add the eggs, one at a
> time, incorporating well. Add the vanilla and cream, blending well. In a
> small bowl, mix together the almond flour, xantham gum, salt and baking
> soda. Add the almond flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating
> with the chocolate. Fold in the nuts. This makes a very stiff batter -
> almost dough-like.
>
> Spread the batter in the greased pan, and baking for about 12-13 minutes,
> or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cut into 16 1-inch squares.
>
> Makes 16 servings, 3.38 carbs per serving.
>

> Food Prospector wrote:
> > I found that Splenda give me gastrointestinal pains.
> >
> > Why don't you make Angel cake with sugar instead of sponge, since Angel

is a
> > favorite diabetic dessert?

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"t2_lurking" > wrote:

> Sweet!
> Thanks

They are very very good, and I thank Jennifer for her reminder about
them. I use pecans instead of walnuts, and about twice as many. I've
also broken up a sugar-free chocolate bar and tossed in the bits. I
break one or two brownies up in a bowl and cover with whipped cream
sweetened with Splenda. I can't think of any pre-diabetes dessert that
surpasses that!

Priscilla, pulling out the ingredients

> "Jennifer" > wrote in message
> > Angel food cake may have no fat... but it has lots of carbs.
> >
> > How 'bout a cake that has good fat (from almonds) and little carbs...
> > like this one:
> >
> > MYRA'S CHOCOLATE-WALNUT BROWNIES
> >
> > 1/2 cup butter, softened
> > 1 1/2 cups Splenda
> > 2 eggs
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla
> > 2 tablespoons cream (or water or coffee)
> > 1 cup almond flour
> > 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
> > Pinch salt
> > 1 teaspoon baking soda
> > 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
> > 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
> >
> > Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square pan.
> >
> > In a mixer, cream together the butter and Splenda. Add the eggs, one at a
> > time, incorporating well. Add the vanilla and cream, blending well. In a
> > small bowl, mix together the almond flour, xantham gum, salt and baking
> > soda. Add the almond flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating
> > with the chocolate. Fold in the nuts. This makes a very stiff batter -
> > almost dough-like.
> >
> > Spread the batter in the greased pan, and baking for about 12-13 minutes,
> > or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cut into 16 1-inch squares.
> >
> > Makes 16 servings, 3.38 carbs per serving.

Julie Bove

"Food Prospector" > wrote in message
. com...
> I found that Splenda give me gastrointestinal pains.
>
> Why don't you make Angel cake with sugar instead of sponge, since Angel is

> favorite diabetic dessert?

Why in the world would Angel food cake be a favorite diabetic dessert? It's
loaded with carbs. And it was never a favorite of mine. I'm not a cake
lover to begin with, but I think Angel food cake is downright nasty!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Tiger Lily" > wrote:

> a thin slice of Angel food cake is a rather good option for a diabetic.....
> far fewer carbs in Angel food cake than a slice of chocolate cake

Indeed. It is so highly beaten that it's mostly air and a lacing of egg
whites.

Priscilla

Sponge Cake Recipe lilchuff11 Baking 0 26-12-2011 10:14 PM
Q: Can I make a sponge cake with Splenda? Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 22 01-09-2010 07:53 PM
req: sponge cake recipe? [email protected] Recipes 1 01-10-2006 04:27 PM
large sponge cake walamalacalucy Baking 7 24-03-2005 04:19 PM
Recipe for Sponge Cake BMC Asian Cooking 2 08-12-2003 02:11 AM