Vicki Beausoleil

Default Shoko

Also from rec.food.recipes.

Shoko (Beef and Spinach Stew)

6 small canned tomatoes, undrained
1 whole fresh hot chile
4 medium onions
1/4 cup green bell pepper
6 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb stewing beef, cut in cubes
1 cup water or beef broth
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cayenne [more or less to taste]
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 lb fresh spinach

Reserve 1/2 cup of juice from the canned tomatoes, and discard the rest
of
the juice. Combine the chile, tomatoes, onions, and green bell pepper in
food processor, and process until the vegetables are minced but not
pureed.
Heat the oil in a large, cast-iron pot, and saute the vegetables and
beef
for 5 minutes over high heat.
Add the reserved tomato juice, water sugar, salt, cayenne, and ginger.
Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally to keep
from burning.
Meanwhile, soak the spinach in warm water for 15 minutes. Then rinse
thoroughly, separate, rinse again (and even a third time if you want to
be
extra careful), shred coarsely, and set aside.
After 2 hours, add the spinach to the pot and cook over medium heat for
30
minutes, until the water is gone and the spinach is cooked.
About half an hour before serving, prepare boiled rice. Serve Shoko with
rice. Also good served with Yam Foofoo.

---

I couldn't eat rice with this. I don't handle rice well. I would have a
small serve of riced potatoes or maybe the Yam Foofoo isn't super-carby.
I'll have to look up that recipe.

Vicki