Ted Rosenberg

Default Easy way to test foods for sugar before eating?

Yes, you can test with diastix, but the people who tink that an
accucheck stick will tell them anything are in for lots of trouble

louisejoi wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>
>>Having once been blindsided by one of those self-service soda places at a
>>local pizza shop(where I didn't eat any pizza) I will occasionally test
>>with a diastix if I am at a roadside place or somehere new. I use this
>>just for soda, wich is so easy to mison set-up with all those tubes they
>>have to connect.

> I check every time...even if I get a second drink. Just last week the
> second drink they brought me was regular Coke. This has happened more than
> once and I would say the second drink, when I get one, is more likely to be
> incorrect.
>
> --
> Best wishes,
> Louise
>
> Type 2 since 2000
> Controlling by exercise and diet

John38

Dreamstar wrote:
> In article >, wrote
>

>>I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds) and
>>they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with high
>>fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had a swig
>>of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since I
>>recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
>>experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
>>"high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
>>glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?

> [ ]
>
> Why bother testing at all?
> Once you have identified a safe source of nourishment then why bother
> the endless search to try and achieve a facsimilie of pre diabetic
> eating habits? Oh sorry, I forgot, there are a lot of people out there
> whose only pleasure in life is stuffing their gullet. I wonder if it is
> a comfort thing originating from an insecure childhood.

I think the OP has a salient point with regard to eating out. It has been
known for people to serve normal soda for instance when diet was requested
and vice versa. If you're diabetic, and ingestion of the proper coke will
cause discomfort, then why not test it? By testing it, you ensure you're
relying on your own judgement instead of that of some poor sap on a minimum
wage and even less sleep.

The OP makes sense in testing if he/she is meaning to do this wrt eating
out. I keep glucose strips just for this purpose. I cant tell the difference
btwn diet and normal sodas

I can't understand why the OP would want to use meter test strips. These are
designed to use whole blood. Glucose sticks which are used for urine make
much more sense, and are far cheaper.
--
just my 2 euros worth
VBHol

"John38" > wrote in message
> Dreamstar wrote:
> > In article >,

wrote

> >>I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds) and
> >>they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with high
> >>fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had a swig
> >>of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since I
> >>recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
> >>experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
> >>"high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
> >>glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?

> > [ ]
> >
> > Why bother testing at all?
> > Once you have identified a safe source of nourishment then why bother
> > the endless search to try and achieve a facsimilie of pre diabetic
> > eating habits? Oh sorry, I forgot, there are a lot of people out there
> > whose only pleasure in life is stuffing their gullet. I wonder if it is
> > a comfort thing originating from an insecure childhood.
> >

> I think the OP has a salient point with regard to eating out. It has been
> known for people to serve normal soda for instance when diet was requested
> and vice versa. If you're diabetic, and ingestion of the proper coke will
> cause discomfort, then why not test it? By testing it, you ensure you're
> relying on your own judgement instead of that of some poor sap on a

minimum
> wage and even less sleep.
>
> The OP makes sense in testing if he/she is meaning to do this wrt eating
> out. I keep glucose strips just for this purpose. I cant tell the

difference
> btwn diet and normal sodas
>
> I can't understand why the OP would want to use meter test strips. These

are
> designed to use whole blood. Glucose sticks which are used for urine make
> much more sense, and are far cheaper.
> --
> just my 2 euros worth

What amazes me about this thread is that anyone has any trouble at all
telling the difference from the first sip! I picked up a friend's coke a
couple of weeks ago and almost spat it over her.

I'm a smoker with terrible metformin/ketone breath so if I can tell the
difference, then some of you must have a really awful sense of taste. (gave
up cigs today though)

And testing without tasting sounds a bit like obsessive behaviour to me
--------------------
VBH
Dx(Oct-03) : A1c 10.2 : 102Kg
Latest : A1c: 6.1 : 85Kg : Met 3x500

John38

VBHol wrote:

[snip]

> What amazes me about this thread is that anyone has any trouble at all
> telling the difference from the first sip! I picked up a friend's coke a
> couple of weeks ago and almost spat it over her.
>
> I'm a smoker with terrible metformin/ketone breath so if I can tell the
> difference, then some of you must have a really awful sense of taste. (gave
> up cigs today though)

I suppose it's just what you are used to. I didn't eat a lot of sweet stuff
pre-DX and I eat even less now. Stuff sweetened with aspartame tastes to me
identical to sugar. I can taste saccharin, however. But get me in a taste
contest for hot or bitter or sour things and and I reckon I'd be able to
differentiate more than usual, just because it's the stuff I usually have.

> And testing without tasting sounds a bit like obsessive behaviour to me

Depends if you know what you can taste. I test before because I know I can't
differentiate between diet and regular. If you can differentiate then I
agree totally that it is pointless to test, because the taste is the test!

--
John38
Julie Bove

"John38" > wrote in message
> VBHol wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > What amazes me about this thread is that anyone has any trouble at all
> > telling the difference from the first sip! I picked up a friend's coke

> > couple of weeks ago and almost spat it over her.

Me too! The regular stuff sort of coats the tongue. Now I have had soda
that just plain tasted weird to me, so I didn't drink it or sent it back. I
think sometimes they might get a little regular mixed in or something. And
at one Italian place we used to dine at, every time we asked for the diet
cola, it would taste like rootbeer. The wait staff kept telling us there
was some kind of leak in the line, so a little rootbeer was getting mixed up
with the cola. I found this hard to believe unless they had some kind of
vastly different setup than I've seen before. Instead of fixing the
problem, they simply stopped serving diet sodas. We quit dining there at
that point. You'd think they could have at least had the courtesy to lay in
a stock of cans or bottles of the diet stuff for the people who couldn't
drink anything else.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

> > I'm a smoker with terrible metformin/ketone breath so if I can tell the
> > difference, then some of you must have a really awful sense of taste.

(gave
> > up cigs today though)

> I suppose it's just what you are used to. I didn't eat a lot of sweet

stuff
> pre-DX and I eat even less now. Stuff sweetened with aspartame tastes to

me
> identical to sugar. I can taste saccharin, however. But get me in a taste
> contest for hot or bitter or sour things and and I reckon I'd be able to
> differentiate more than usual, just because it's the stuff I usually have.
>
> > And testing without tasting sounds a bit like obsessive behaviour to me

> Depends if you know what you can taste. I test before because I know I

can't
> differentiate between diet and regular. If you can differentiate then I
> agree totally that it is pointless to test, because the taste is the test!
>
> --
> John38

Elizabeth Blake

"VBHol" > wrote in message
> What amazes me about this thread is that anyone has any trouble at all
> telling the difference from the first sip! I picked up a friend's coke a
> couple of weeks ago and almost spat it over her.

If the soda comes from a bottle or a can, I can easily tell the difference.
Regular Coke from a bottle tastes like cough syrup to me. Absolutely
disgusting. But I have a much harder time with fountain drinks, which is
what you usually get in restaurants. Most of the time it all tastes flat &
watered down, and hard to tell the difference between diet & regular.

Liz

Dreamstar

In article >, dev-
wrote

> Dreamstar wrote:
> > In article >,
wrote

> >>I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds) and
> >>they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with high
> >>fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had a swig
> >>of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since I
> >>recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
> >>experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
> >>"high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
> >>glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?

> > [ ]

> > Why bother testing at all?
> > Once you have identified a safe source of nourishment then why bother
> > the endless search to try and achieve a facsimilie of pre diabetic
> > eating habits? Oh sorry, I forgot, there are a lot of people out there
> > whose only pleasure in life is stuffing their gullet. I wonder if it is
> > a comfort thing originating from an insecure childhood.

> I think the OP has a salient point with regard to eating out. It has been
> known for people to serve normal soda for instance when diet was requested
> and vice versa. If you're diabetic, and ingestion of the proper coke will
> cause discomfort, then why not test it? By testing it, you ensure you're
> relying on your own judgement instead of that of some poor sap on a minimum
> wage and even less sleep.

If you are going to drink soda then it is of course better to be sure
it is what you think it is. Odds are, that out of so many soda purchases
refills etc, there will be a percentage of occasions when you do not get
what you want/expect. Apart from the errors and causes pointed out already,
there is the added concept that because diet soda requests are less frequent
than regular and an assumption will be made that is is regular where there is
doubt.

> The OP makes sense in testing if he/she is meaning to do this wrt eating
> out. I keep glucose strips just for this purpose. I cant tell the difference
> btwn diet and normal sodas

I don't think I can either. But I do not consume soda of any kind so it
does not matter.

> I can't understand why the OP would want to use meter test strips. These are
> designed to use whole blood. Glucose sticks which are used for urine make
> much more sense, and are far cheaper.

It's cheaper not to drink soda at all, therefore saving the costs
involved in testing or taking what you might consider to be unacceptable
risk.

John38

Dreamstar wrote:

[snippety]

> It's cheaper not to drink soda at all, therefore saving the costs
> involved in testing or taking what you might consider to be unacceptable
> risk.

I'm not saying to do as the OP put, which was testing sodas from the can, if
I remember correctly. That is indeed pointless and I wonder why someone
would want to do that.

I'm talking about eating out, and someone serving sodas from a fountain. The
costs associated with testing with a glucose stick are miniscule. Its quick
and discreet. I'd rather know myself rather than entrust some restaurant
employee.

I quite like fizzy pop. I'll drink it by the gallon. I just have to make
sure it's diet
--
John38 : t2 since 11/03 : 6mg amaryl 1.5g metaformin : aspirin
% now=7.4% : FBG@dx=14mmol/l now 4mmol/l : no wheat for me!
bj

"John38" > wrote in message
> I quite like fizzy pop. I'll drink it by the gallon. I just have to make

sure it's diet
> --

Me too.
I wish I could get on the Coke & Pepsi delivery truck schedule!
But hauling it home is also good exercise.
bj

John38

Julie Bove wrote:

[snip]

> I know that. And in my original reply, I did say that the strips could be
> used on soda so long as it contains high fructose corn syrup and not sugar,
> such as the soda here in the US. I know that the strips will not work on
> sugar because I tried them on it. No reaction at all.

Hi

What do you mean by 'sugar'? sucrose?

--
John38 : t2 since 11/03 : 6mg amaryl 1.5g metaformin : aspirin
% now=7.4% : FBG@dx=14mmol/l now 4mmol/l : no wheat for me!
John38

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>

>>Same here, and we don't use corn syrup in our "sodas" just
>>sugar.

> Hmmm... I didn't have any regular soda when I got my Clinistix, so I tried
> it out on a drink sweetened with sugar and it didn't react at all.

Maybe the stick reacts only to glucose. There's fructose sucrose mannose
galactose lactose [...]. I'd guess a general purpose sugar stick will be
more useful. The only thing I'd want to detect was whether the beverage was
diet or not.